What do you watch with? (Dub or Sub?)

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:22 pm

View Original PostOz wrote:I'd like to separate speedreading in general and reading subtitles since it's impossible for me to read anything else that fast. Subtitles are shown sparsely enough for me to "speeread".
It's not that they're shown sparsely, it's that they're broken up into blocks of thought that makes reading and comprehending them much easier. Plus, it helps that when watching TV/movies your eyes are automatically more engaged, so you're more inclined to bypass the speech part of your brain when comprehending the words. When you approach text on a page it isn't broken up, so you have to read with a bit of awareness for separating blocks of thought. It's possible, and quite easy with practice.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Natsuka_Chie
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Natsuka_Chie » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:59 am

Remember when I said: "There's no dub in my country, so hearing english and understanding and hearing Japanese with subs takes the same time for me. And I prefer the Japanese dub" ?

Well... I found out today that THERE IS a portuguese dub... but damn... I won't see it even if my life was being threatened... Awful thing.
Asuka's not a bitch, she just denies her innocence in a bitchy way.
Sites I'm in: Deviantart|XFire
Quotes:
"Yesterday, I had the most TERRIFYIN' experience! ...Last night, I was all alone in my room... when outta nowhere... CAME THE SMELL OF A FART THAT WASN'T MINE!"
"The things I possess are my life and soul. I'm a vessel for my heart"
"God isn't home. He's on vacation at Vegas."

"Don't forget. Always, somewhere, someone is fighting for you. As long as you remember them, you're not alone."

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:58 pm

I used to watch it in the english dub back in the days.

Now when I´m reading the subtitles, the english voice actors are still resounding in my head while watching the anime OR reading the manga.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:28 am

I'm not that picky with that. I go with anything I can understand (The german dub, japenese dub with english or german subtitles or the english dub) The german dub is pretty good (Anything RTL2 gets their hands on gets turned into crap, but thankfully, NGE isn't suitable to be sold as 'kids program' - Naruto wasn't so lucky. Still I can't get used to Misato`s new voice actress in the rebuild movies... I want the old one back) and it obviously takes itself seriously.
The Japanese Dub is Art anyway.
The english one... duh, I only watch it when there's no Japanese or english available. Some voice actor's are pretty good (like Rei's or Misato's) but the Guy who voices Gendo for most of the series sounds like a stereotypical arrogant bastard-type (The Guy from the Director's Cut episodes is a littlemore bearable), Shinji's sounds horribly fake and Asuka's voice actress hurts my ears each time I hear her. She might be trying to be annoying on purpose, tough. It's Asuka after al, she's supposed to make your ears hurt. But Shinji's english voice actor definetely sucks.

What I noticed is that the japenese ones are pretty distinct from the rest. Someone put the 'congratulations' scene in 14 different languages on youtube. The chinese dub sounded like they're all voiced by 5 year olds, the spanish ones all sounded the same, but in every single version, Rei got some 'professional', icy, 'spock-ish' voice.
Except the original, where she has that high, fragile sounding voice that makes you think she could just break down and die at any Moment or shatter into 1000 little pieces at the sligthest touch.
Now Shinji always gets a 'whiny emo kid' voice (Tough his german voice actor(Hannes Maurer, was it?) sounds considerably less fake then Spike Spencer) but the Japanese Shinji not that whining but more... quite and resigned, more cute than annoying.
Any word Megumi Ogata says in the early episodes makes you want to grab Shinji and give him a big teddy bear.
Asuka's voice actresses mostly tend to sound a lot like the original, tough. Except for the sqeakiness in some bad versions, of course.

...Oh, and I almost slammed my head into the Keyboard when I realized that Misato is voiced by the same Person as freakin' Sailor Moon. That person is sure versatile... Then again, Mari's did AERITH....
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

KhakiBlueThunderSocks
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby KhakiBlueThunderSocks » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:04 am

I watch with English dubs and subtitles on. Sometimes I like to rewind back a few seconds and hear a line in the original Japanese to see how it compares.

I respect the English dubbers of Evangelion completely; they put a lot of work into the project, and aside from a few...shall we call them...lapses in good judgement, I believe that the Evangelion dubs as done by Funimation, Manga and ADV are very well done.
"Going to church no more makes you a christian than standing in your garage makes you a car."
- Garrison Keillor

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:44 am

I normally far prefer subtitled versions of anime (with notable exceptions, such as Cowboy Bebop), but I wish I could tolerate the dub in Eva's case since there's so much going on on the screen at the same time. Sometimes it's trivial (gobbledygook on the screens in NERV HQ, for example), but sometimes it's important -- symbolism, character expressions, background noise, that sort of thing. If I'm trying to read subtitles for two or three different conversations at once and looking at sign tags on top of that it's really easy to miss important visuals on screen.

In practice this means I wind up watching the episodes several times to catch everything, but I'd rather just watch 'em straight through. Can't stand the dub enough to do that though.

beaverteeth92
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby beaverteeth92 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:42 pm

I watched the dub. The dub was awesome. I don't see why everyone is complaining about it...

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:45 pm

^^ Give it a few years. It's one of those things you get accustomed to over time. I didn't see the big deal either way back when.
THIS IS STEINS;GATE'S CHOICE!
----<3 Merchant meets Spicy Wolf <3----
8 YEARS OF EVA, Does it mean something to you?
EvaPedia|Xbox Live|El Psy Congroo

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:52 pm

View Original Postbeaverteeth92 wrote:I watched the dub. The dub was awesome. I don't see why everyone is complaining about it...

It's not a very good dub, and the voice talent is lackluster at best.

There are some awesome dubs out there. In a couple of cases, I prefer the American dubs to the Japanese ones (and it's gotten a lot better in recent years, of course). But for the most part you lose a lot of meaning when you shift from one language to another, and the voice talent in the U.S. just isn't as good as it is in Japan (since Japan treats it as a serious industry rather than a hobby enterprise).

psychosis090
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby psychosis090 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:42 pm

Yeah, the dub was made in the era when licensing companies had basically fuck all in terms of talent or resources (compared to now, at least).

So it's definitely subtitles for me.

JC Denton
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby JC Denton » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:53 pm

if you have watched the dub, you have NOT seen Eva

simple as that
no sig

tomrule123
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby tomrule123 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:41 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:Some voice actor's are pretty good (like Rei's or Misato's) but the Guy who voices Gendo for most of the series sounds like a stereotypical arrogant bastard-type (The Guy from the Director's Cut episodes is a littlemore bearable), Shinji's sounds horribly fake and Asuka's voice actress hurts my ears each time I hear her. She might be trying to be annoying on purpose, tough. It's Asuka after al, she's supposed to make your ears hurt. But Shinji's english voice actor definetely sucks.

You've pretty much summed up on how I feel on the English dub of NGE. :clap: But the Rebuild dub, in my opinion, is much better than the NGE dub. (Especially Shinji, thankfully) Let's see how Tiffany presents the Rebuild Asuka in Rebuild 2.22... soon.

The Triforce Fighter
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby The Triforce Fighter » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:55 pm

I've experienced all of Evangelion in English dub form (twice now) although I am planning to watch it subbed seeing as many say the character are portrayed in a better light (for instance Shinji). Although so saying that I've never really had a problem with the voice actors. Shinji isn't THAT bad.... is he?
'Whatever happens, happens' - Spike Spiegel

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:40 pm

View Original PostThe Triforce Fighter wrote:Although so saying that I've never really had a problem with the voice actors. Shinji isn't THAT bad.... is he?

He sounds like a thirtysomething man with no huge acting talent voicing a teenage boy. Contrast that to one of the best-loved voice actresses of the nineties, throw in the full-retard script ADV came up with for the dub, and have the teenage boy in question be a character who it's often difficult to get along with anyway, and you have a prime recipe for fiery fan hate.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Merridian
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Merridian » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:29 pm

View Original PostThe Triforce Fighter wrote:Shinji isn't THAT bad.... is he?
yes, he is.

Spencer's portrayal of the character is laughable. Though I thought Grant's Asuka was a lot worse.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:33 pm

View Original PostMerridian wrote:Spencer's portrayal of the character is laughable. Though I thought Grant's Asuka was a lot worse.

I give Grant more points for her German and her [s]fucking weird[/s] heartfelt attempt at getting into the character, which by EoE leads to an almost-tolerable rendition of a couple scenes. Spencer is generally less irritating to start with but gets worse and worse as the show falls increasingly far out of his depth.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Merridian
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Merridian » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:40 pm

^yeah, I have to admit she did have the German down. But every time she opened her mouth it still felt like razor blades scraping against chalkboard eardrums. Spencer's whining was mildly annoying by comparison; over-compensating and over-acted, perhaps, but it wasn't "why don't you just rip my ears out". Grant's version of Asuka I wanted to set on fire. I don't have that problem with Miyamura's performance. In fact I kinda liked Asuka's character once I watched the show subtitled.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:47 pm

View Original PostMerridian wrote:^yeah, I have to admit she did have the German down. But every time she opened her mouth it still felt like razor blades scraping against chalkboard eardrums. Spencer's whining was mildly annoying by comparison; over-compensating and over-acted, perhaps, but it wasn't "why don't you just rip my ears out". Grant's version of Asuka I wanted to set on fire. I don't have that problem with Miyamura's performance. In fact I kinda liked Asuka's character once I watched the show subtitled.

The irony being that Asuka is one of the most nuanced characters in the show, which means you have to watch her (and listen to background noise) to really get what's going on with her -- which can be difficult with subtitles.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:54 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:The irony being that Asuka is one of the most nuanced characters in the show, which means you have to watch her (and listen to background noise) to really get what's going on with her -- which can be difficult with subtitles.

You could just do what I did once while high and spend a few hours memorizing the translation of every single Asuka line in preparation for an unsubbed marathon. I got halfway through episode 11 before I started getting lost in the Japanese. I like to consider it as Eva from Asuka's point of view.

Merridian
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Merridian » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:42 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:The irony being that Asuka is one of the most nuanced characters in the show, which means you have to watch her (and listen to background noise) to really get what's going on with her -- which can be difficult with subtitles.
I haven't had much of a problem with this. As with any animated character, their nuances also show up quite heavily in the original VA's performances—something that many dubs tend to miss, and ALL dubs have to modify. Rerecording the voice track in another language will inevitably add aspects that weren’t there in the original work, as well as lack aspects that were in the original work, if only because there is a different crew doing the dubbing in a different language without the director’s supervision. In order to better understand how characters like Asuka function, develop, and are presented, the dub won’t be of any use at all. The images of her face and body movements are present, but the inflections of her speech will be missing. Interpreting one without the other is an incomplete assessment.

This is the main reason that I don’t agree with dubbing in principle, but that’s not to say that I’m wholly against dubs. When I'm lazy or tired or sick, I often don't care about faithful adaptations or 'artistic accuracy' or whatever. That said, NGE's dub was still a rather unpleasant experience due to a lot of the cheese and over-acting that was poured all over the performances. Grant's and Spencer's are the two that always stick out in my mind probably because they're the two that made the experience ugliest. There's also something about Grant's voice itself that just grates my ears.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”