"You are number one!"

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

You are number one!

Poll ended at Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:52 am

Shinji
26%
Asuka
70%
Rei
4%

Total votes: 23

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Thu Dec 02, 2004 4:36 pm

Reichu wrote:
Dark FireStar wrote:Yeah so we should ask which is the better Eva or somthing?

The answer to that is so obvious, it needs no asking. :P

i guess you're with 01 Reichu right?
but someone else may have different opinion..i'll go for example with 02...
and maybe we should start a new topic about it?
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

Dark FireStar
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby Dark FireStar » Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:31 pm

Nah i dont think it needs a new topic its just going to bomb.
Don't ban me for a limited time! Either ban me for good or let me be. (I only hold grudges for a few years lol)

MAGI
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby MAGI » Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:32 pm

Reichu wrote:
MAGI wrote::x You just like to critisise me, don't you, Reichu?

You spelled "criticize" (or I suppose "criticise", if you prefer) wrong.

;)

Revision: Yui's good at berserking, but doesn't really keep her cool whilst doing so.

If you had to sit around in a giant refrigerator for 10+ years, doing absolutely nothing, I wager you'd be pretty pissed off too. ;)

Again, I'd like to point out that Yui was in control throughout #26', and she seemed ridiculously cool-headed to me. She didn't even fight back. Apparently there is some kind of rationale behind her actions, even when she is on the warpath. The same cannot be said for all so-called "berserk" (I really hate the term) Evas:

Also, you can't really depend on her all the time, because she isn't officially employed as a pilot.

I mostly just said "Yui" out of spite for these "Who's the best pilot?" discussions. :P Screw the pilots; the Evas have minds of their own, thank you very much.

as the pilot is supposed keep the evangelion under control, in the first place.

I think if a sane, rational person is inside the Eva, they are more than capable of keeping themselves under control. (Yui obviously can, as she stops her little rampages as soon as her work is done.) They have pilots (A) for plot reasons and (B) because kids are easier to manipulate than women in possession of godly power.

Argh, forget it. Maybe I don't really care who's the better pilot.
ココにいても、いいの?
Is it okay for me to be here?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:15 pm

the_seventh_child wrote:i guess you're with 01 Reichu right?
but someone else may have different opinion..i'll go for example with 02...
and maybe we should start a new topic about it?

In a bitchfight, EVA-02 would be severely handicapped. No S^2, after all.

Even if she did have one, though, Yui would still kick her arse. Begrudgingly.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Dark FireStar
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby Dark FireStar » Fri Dec 03, 2004 3:20 pm

Heh heh Ill have to agree with the mistress.lol
Don't ban me for a limited time! Either ban me for good or let me be. (I only hold grudges for a few years lol)

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:33 pm

Reichu - You seem to be under the impression that unit-01 is basically Yui, and that she has control over it's body. Yui may possess some control over unit 01, but I seriously doubt it is anywhere near the conscious level. I remember reading somewhere that Shigouki's "Berserk" modes are basically the rage of a lost soul, and I prefer this definition a lot more than "Yui just wants to save Shinji." Sure her motherly instincts must play some part, but I seriously doubt Yui is the one with an insatiable blood lust. And TRUST Anno, Shigouki DOES have a blood lust. I guess what I'm saying is this: there is a big difference between a Soul and a Mind, and Shigouki certainly isn't Yui.
Beatus vir qui suffert tentationem.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Dec 03, 2004 6:36 pm

Dave wrote:Reichu - You seem to be under the impression that unit-01 is basically Yui, and that she has control over it's body. Yui may possess some control over unit 01, but I seriously doubt it is anywhere near the conscious level. I remember reading somewhere that Shigouki's "Berserk" modes are basically the rage of a lost soul, and I prefer this definition a lot more than "Yui just wants to save Shinji." Sure her motherly instincts must play some part, but I seriously doubt Yui is the one with an insatiable blood lust. And TRUST Anno, Shigouki DOES have a blood lust. I guess what I'm saying is this: there is a big difference between a Soul and a Mind, and Shigouki certainly isn't Yui.
[/quote]

EVA-01 was an inert mass of flesh before Yui got there. It is effectively her body now, however "restrained" most of the time. If the Eva acts of her own accord, how could anyone be responsible for this but Yui? They have become one entity, and there is really no point in making a distinction between the two (unless we're referring specifically to the body vs. the soul). I got flogged quite severely whenever I tried to treat Rei and Lilith as entirely separate things (especially once Rei and Lilith are merged). Living in a human body changed Lilith, and Adam as well -- so is it entirely out of the question that existing in an Evangelion body might change Yui?

Of course, Yui is still the same basic person at the core (har, har). But, I hesitate to say, regardless of who we are and how civilized we might think we are, we are all capable of great savagery under the right circumstances. The Evas basically are supposed to represent immense power barely under the control of humanity. But the Evas are essentially human themselves, with or without a soul, although shown to be, despite their godly powers, of a somewhat more "primitive" nature. For me, anyway, they represent the Beast within us all.

Is going on the warpath characteristic of the Yui we know? No. I do think that there is perhaps something innate to the Eva that is providing an 'influence', as it were. However, the "berserk" incidents, however "bloodthirsty", are, in a sense, rational and done with a purpose. Once Yui has accomplished her goal, she stops. Were we simply dealing with some mindless beast, I doubt things would work that way.

EoE is also interesting to note -- EVA-01 activates on her own, takes Shinji on board (while giving no physical control to him), and escapes the Cage. Despite being faced with many enemies, she does not simply go apeshit and kill them all. She yields and lets herself become entangled with Third Impact -- a seemingly conscious choice. And later on, she takes steps to end 3I and make sure that it won't happen again.

If "Shogouki isn't Yui", I would certainly like an explanation for EoE.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

coff
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby coff » Sun Dec 05, 2004 3:10 am

Rei is the worst pilot. Asuka was the best at first but Shinji caught up. And Toji owns them all.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Dec 05, 2004 6:03 am

coff wrote:And Toji owns them all.

We might as well call Bardiel a "pilot".
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Sun Dec 05, 2004 2:43 pm

Unit-01 didn't exactly stop once Bardiel was dead Reichu, nor did she stop when she had pulled out the entry plug. And sure Yui played a big part in third impact, but that was at the very end of the series. It was also after unit-01 had been "awakened". I just can't see Shigouki and Yui as the same being, but rather I see Shigouki as simply holding Yui's soul until the very end.
Beatus vir qui suffert tentationem.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Dec 05, 2004 5:34 pm

Dave wrote:Unit-01 didn't exactly stop once Bardiel was dead Reichu, nor did she stop when she had pulled out the entry plug.

I don't think it's been convincingly demonstrated that the dummy plug just puts the resident soul into control, has it? If so, I sure would like to see the proofs.

And sure Yui played a big part in third impact, but that was at the very end of the series. It was also after unit-01 had been "awakened".

And the first thing Yui did after being "awakened" was to dine on Zeruel. :shrug:

I just can't see Shigouki and Yui as the same being, but rather I see Shigouki as simply holding Yui's soul until the very end.

Well, whatever floats your boat. They're one and the same to me. I suppose you are of the mind that Rei and Lilith are two completely separate entities, as well?

It's Shogouki, BTW.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

ChronoX
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby ChronoX » Sun Dec 05, 2004 5:38 pm

Rei and Lilith are seprate entities. One is made from the other but that means nothing. They become one in the same when the third impact occurs, along with just about everyone else in the world.
"We are born, meant to die. If I am to die, then let it be with a sword in my hand, my enemies at my feet, and my blood on my body. Come forward, come forward, come forward! And let us all meet in bloody combat."-The Rose Lord, William Rose.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Dec 05, 2004 9:37 pm

ChronoX wrote:Rei and Lilith are seprate entities. One is made from the other but that means nothing. They become one in the same when the third impact occurs, along with just about everyone else in the world.

Oh, you say that with such conviction. You should have seen how much the people at ANF bitchslapped me around whenever I treated Lilith and Rei as separate things.

But if anyone is interested in pursuing that lovely matter further, there are plenty of great discussions that probably no one wants to read...
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Fri Dec 10, 2004 7:55 am

well we can vote now ..:D and sorry but the poll only allowed me three options..

Asuka for me..
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:04 am

well...didnt 01 participate in 3rd impact, allowing it to happen?

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:47 am

Reichu wrote:But if anyone is interested in pursuing that lovely matter further, there are plenty of great discussions that probably no one wants to read...

well i wouldn't have a problem read these discussions..

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:28 am

sadsadshinji wrote:well...didnt 01 participate in 3rd impact, allowing it to happen?

Arguably, it would have happened anyway. I guess Yui figured it she was involved, she would be more empowered to do something if things went wrong. (Which they did, no thanks to Shinji...)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Fri Dec 10, 2004 6:06 pm

Okay, I finally did vote, and for Shinji. With the exception of EoE, Asuka sucked (not as a character), and Rei didn't really do anything to stand out, either. Shinji, on the other hand, while not rescued by Eva/his mother (I don't want to get into that argument because I don't care), did more "I'm sad"-born asskicking than anyone.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Dec 10, 2004 8:41 pm

And EoE doesn't count because Asuka had help.

But when I think of Shinji, "ass-kicking" isn't the first thing to come to mind... "Screaming lunatic", maybe.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

MAGI
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby MAGI » Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:16 pm

I vote Asuka.
ココにいても、いいの?
Is it okay for me to be here?