Eva pet peeves

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:12 pm

What it did was instead of saying "oooh, let's provide an angsty hero and mood to appeal to angsty, moody teenagers who need someone to identify with", it actually went beyond that and explored the very concept itself both in various contexts and scales and with a dynamic degree of intensity; turning what was previously a very cliche, static concept into a complex theme itself. No siree, NGE did not invent angst, it just decided to - like a lot of the cliched, typical aspects of its base narrative - give it a good amount of depth.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Themaninblack
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Themaninblack » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:45 pm

Eva Yojimbo wrote:
Dr. Nick wrote:[url=http://www.animenation.net/forums/showthread.php?t=210812]No NGE did not invent angst, it just decided to - like a lot of the cliched, typical aspects of its base narrative - give it a good amount of depth.

Right on. Though it also just add depth it also expaned on it...but thats for another thread.
I won.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:09 pm

lolwut it's Dr Nick! Whoo! :clap:

(pitäisi kai kiittää siitä että ylipäätään tutustuin NGE:hen. Teknokekon Retro Exodus Harmageddon oli alkuperäinen syy ja käsittääkseni autoit häntä siinä :)

Dr. Nick wrote:
Xard wrote:This is so true. In fact most "deep" animes are pretentious, but NGE is one huge exception

Tuffdog, much? Let's not forget that "deep" is an enormously vague term, and thought-provokingness, as well as pretentiousness, are something rather subjective.

Want long answer?

Dr. Nick wrote:
Another is labelling Shinji emo.

As much as I dislike the emo-bandwagon, it's a fact of linguistics that if a big enough number of people begin to use a word in a new way, the new meaning will be established eventually. So, if the primary meaning of "emo" will evolve / already has evolved to mean "a person who cries", then Shinji indeed is emo.[/url]

You're right, but at that point term itself becomes incredible stupid and obsolete. I prefer "human".

Dr. Nick wrote:
Eva Yojimbo wrote:I generally dislike the mass ignorance regarding NGE. Differing interpretations are fine, but people who don't understand why Shinji is how he is just irk me.

But it is entirely possible to know your stuff, and still dislike Shinji as a character.

True, most people however dislike him for "wrong" reasons

Dr. Nick wrote:
UrsusArctos wrote:Other peeves include inconsistencies within the series, such as Evas changing heights at will. Also, those ridiculous cross-shaped explosions and design details like Sachi and Zer using their eyes as weapons (Which I find much more unimaginative than Ramiel's internal reactor and particle beam).

Welcome to mecha anime. And wut, welcome to anime in general.

Eyelazerz are cool! Everyone knows that.

Annihilationscape
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Annihilationscape » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:45 pm

My single greatest pet peeve about Eva comes more from some of its viewers than the show itself: they think that everything should be spoonfed to them at the end.

I recently went through the series and EoE with some friends, and at least one who was TOTALLY into it for the majority ended up disliking it because "nothing was explained". That really let me down because he's not the type to need all the answers in everything. After we concluded, I started to talk to him about how actually, if you look deep enough, all you need really is right there on-screen.

it just irks me that ALL MUST BE EXPLAINED or else somehow it's a bad show rather than a rewarding one.
"I'll make you wish you hadn't burned our time before/ I'll live through this in a manner cursed at my own accord.

If my shame spills our worth across this floor/ Then tonight, goodnight... I'm burning Star IV."

-Claudio nukes creation because lolheartbreak, Coheed & Cambria

OtakuCrave
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby OtakuCrave » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:33 am

Annihilationscape wrote:My single greatest pet peeve about Eva comes more from some of its viewers than the show itself: they think that everything should be spoonfed to them at the end.

I recently went through the series and EoE with some friends, and at least one who was TOTALLY into it for the majority ended up disliking it because "nothing was explained". That really let me down because he's not the type to need all the answers in everything. After we concluded, I started to talk to him about how actually, if you look deep enough, all you need really is right there on-screen.

it just irks me that ALL MUST BE EXPLAINED or else somehow it's a bad show rather than a rewarding one.

To be honest, EoE is one hell of a movie if you don't know a lot about the religious symbolism. It takes multiple viewings to actually get the full impact that Anno was striving for, and some people just don't like to analyze stuff thoroughly. The speculative ending doesn't help those individuals AT ALL, and they will have to do some research on your own before they can fully understand it...hence the dilemma.

I know some of my friends don't get EoE at all, yet they enjoyed it. And I do understand the notion that if an individual doesn't understand it, they shouldn't declare is a bad experience. And I agree with you regarding that not everything has to be explain...life itself isn't entirely either!

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:24 am

Annihilationscape wrote:My single greatest pet peeve about Eva comes more from some of its viewers than the show itself: they think that everything should be spoonfed to them at the end. it just irks me that ALL MUST BE EXPLAINED or else somehow it's a bad show rather than a rewarding one.
That's a very Westernized mentality in itself, and most extreme when it comes to America and its media. It's a kind of preconditioning that happens from a very early age being raised on works (in all mediums) that deliver clearly defined stories and characters, with clearly defined emotions. NGE certainly doesn't fall into this mold.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Incisivis
Scribe
Scribe

•      
  •      

Postby Incisivis » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:41 pm

Shinji? I like Shinji, "like" being a complex term. But I'd like to think that even if I didn't, I'd be a bit sick, not of people hating Shinji, but the RAGING BURNNIG of it all. Even if they say they loathe Evangelion, they go on and on and on about how they hate Shinji.

I had some experience with that before watching NGE, and on seeing it my thought was something like "This? This is what everyone's been bitching about??"" Of course, I feel that way about every character I like whom everybody hates.

(weirdly, I've found most "sad mecha pilot boy" characters besides Shinji to be rather dull. Even the prototypical Amuro got on my nerves a little, though I loved First Gundam otherwise)

Peeves:

Related to this, somehow considering Shinji the only Evangelion character worthy of spoofing or serious criticism. They're all pretty awful human beings. That's why the series is so much fun! :thumbsup:

Also, people who think they're being so smart and clever by writing Shinji as they'd want him to be, i.e. a lecherous badass.

It's already been covered, but Western production staff and Western media who don't know jack about Evangelion but just repeat what they heard on the intertubes. I get that they don't have time to do all the research, but if not, then they should just back off and advertise.

NGE haters who assert that Anno was laughing all the way to the bank after the grubby otaku fans ate up the crud he shovelled their way, and that no one could *possibly* like NGE without being a blind idiot. It's been part of a larger backlash in recent years, and I'm wonder why people who didn't like NGE just didn't move on.

Calling Evangelion "unrealistic". I think it is; despite all the weirdness, when it comes to depicting human pain, it is almost powefully natrualistic, just replicating what a person in that state might feel. If it's not pretty, it doesn't mean it's not realistic.

I'm probably gonna get shot for this, but I dislike the lack of access to supplemental materials for the series. Other people here have done a fantastic job bringing them to light, but I wish they were easier to get to, to form a more complete picture of NGE easily. I do find that perhaps the series relied a little too much on supplemental materials to define itself, though part of the problem is also fans' self-imposed obfuscation.
"No live organism can continue to exist sanely within conditions of absolute reality; even dragonflies and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream"--Shirley Jackson
I liek Shinji
LiveJournal and Fan Fiction

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:41 pm

What UrsusArctos said about CG: You win this thread! :kawaii:

Operation Yashima wrote:Two words: Kimochi Warui...
If WoW does not give me an answer for this I will be !@#$%^&*()

lolwut?

Basically, Asuka's pissed off that Shinji was acting pathetic by crying (and possible pissed off since he, uh, DID try to kill her only a moment before), and/or she didn't like the fact she was recently so close to other people's souls and/or the 50 other possible reasons I'm forgetting. :sweatdrop:

Next question?

Anyway, what irks me is how people have to dis Eva and say it sucks. I really hate when anime fans do that, 'cause I say that that to other anime they make like, so why say that to me?

Also, Eva seriously needed MOAR Asuka/Shinji WAFF (Warm And Fuzzy Feelings), preferably after the Bitter End, despite the fact that their relationship isn't MEANT to be a typical romantic one. :asuka_stare:

At the very least, here are the main things that irk me:

~Western people or even whoever thinking they know stuff about Evangelion when they know jackshit. (This is why I more or less stick to what I actually know about the show and avoid making fanwank of my own....EoTV/EoE mental and physically concurrency aside. Ufufufu.)

~Fans bashing other people's theories or fanwanks. Even if it's not correct, AT LEAST hear them out and give them a chance to explain their thoughts. THEN "correct" them if need be.

~Related to this site, actually: Not being certain of whether the point of EGF and evageeks itself is to figure out Eva based on what WE think or, in fact, trying to figure out just what Anno's vision/whatever was.

~The fact possibly one of the points Anno was making was for people to take a chance and such at life......Well, look what happened to the otaku AFTER Eva: His own message (I think) backfired on him.

~Not having had at least one discussion/meeting between Yui-sama and Rei (preferably Rei 3), Gendou's Judgment scene in EoE aside.

~Shinji going fucking nuts sometime in between Scene 11 and the Final Scene....So, uh, WHY was he congratulated for rejecting Instrumentality if he's even worse off then before? What was the point of all that crap in both EoTV and EoE of him becoming happy if it didn't actually happen despite various signs of hope in the end? (Rei 3 aka Lilith aka Bookend Rei symbolizing it as well as Asuka caressing Shinji's cheek.)

~Needed MORE Rei and Asuka attempting to kick some ass on their own, although the two girls as well as Shinji always fucking things up somehow was the point.... It would have been nice to have a few more teamwork episodes, but that was kind of the point, too.

~The point of Rei really being Shinji's little sister (she was "born" after Yui had died and all that) more or less as opposed to "just" having her genetic material from Yui wasn't driven home enough. I can only think of two times this was: That background info from the radio of Episode 20 with the lines "Being your lover, you mother, and what else, your kid-sister?" as well as the line: "Shinji if it's a boy. Rei if it's a girl." :rant:

There's possibly more, but that's "all" that comes to mind.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:36 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:Also, Eva seriously needed MOAR Asuka/Shinji WAFF (Warm And Fuzzy Feelings), preferably after the Bitter End, despite the fact that their relationship isn't MEANT to be a typical romantic one. :asuka_stare:

As I was saying above... :lol:
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Kaminoyouni
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaminoyouni » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:20 am

Sailor Star Dust wrote:Also, Eva seriously needed MOAR Asuka/Shinji WAFF (Warm And Fuzzy Feelings), preferably after the Bitter End, despite the fact that their relationship isn't MEANT to be a typical romantic one. :asuka_stare:

dear god, NO.
Proud Member of F.A.P.
"A twenty-nine year-old woman having her way with a fourteen year-old boy? This is perversion! This is ephebophilia!"
"Ephebophelia...? This is SHOTA!"

WARNING: Brik is being incredibly awesome

Join the Evageeks discord!

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:23 am

@SSD, that would be interesting. I LIKE IT!
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Operation Yashima
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Operation Yashima » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:22 am

Nested quotes are the devil. Read rules, etc. etc.

Yeah...That's what I mean. I've spent a BIT of time trying to figure it out...but obviously without avail...

BEsERk EVA01
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby BEsERk EVA01 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:41 am

I actually forgot to mention the fact that I extremely hate it when Shinji just sits there and does nothing. It really pisses me off, however, I can understand not wanting to be forced to pilot an Eva, because his mother's dead etc.

Despite all that, Shinji should just forget the past and move on; the world's population's in his own very 2 hands. :clap:
>>My User Profile On EvaPedia<<
>>Per Ardua ad Astra, Through Struggle To The Stars<<
>>Nothing<<

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:57 am

Tangent from the old topic-
http://evageeks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4494&sid=4eb7d35d3e319ea12b416fbf499f5725
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

BeserkerUnit-01
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby BeserkerUnit-01 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:18 pm

my peeve.... Shinji's being shunned by society and being all depressed. i mean cmon, look to the bright side man.
Unit-01 RULEZ!! Prog Sword is the ultimate weapon. I have it Trademarked to EVA-231, only a friend of mine may use it. EVA-231 used to be EVA-17, but that's another story.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:37 am

Now that's deep

In addition to Ep 10 episode 7 is sucky too

BeserkerUnit-01
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby BeserkerUnit-01 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:41 am

i hav a second peeve. Rei. She is always ending up nude, so we cant watch it at my local anime club. i mean cmon wat a perv to do that.
Unit-01 RULEZ!! Prog Sword is the ultimate weapon. I have it Trademarked to EVA-231, only a friend of mine may use it. EVA-231 used to be EVA-17, but that's another story.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:29 am

BeserkerUnit-01 wrote:i hav a second peeve. Rei. She is always ending up nude, so we cant watch it at my local anime club. i mean cmon wat a perv to do that.

Early series = fanservice.

EoE = superflatism

evamoth
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby evamoth » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:19 pm

BeserkerUnit-01 wrote:i hav a second peeve. Rei. She is always ending up nude, so we cant watch it at my local anime club. i mean cmon wat a perv to do that.
hmmm

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:25 am

Rei + Clothes = NO!
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”