Eva pet peeves

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

yokuchi
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby yokuchi » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:44 pm

The Commentary of Doom is the most annoying load of BS to ever touch my DVD player.
insert witty and offensive political banter here

AsukaChan
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby AsukaChan » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:18 pm

Dr. Nick wrote:
AsukaChan wrote:Or when people compare Gundam and NGE LIKE YOU CAN ACTUALLY DRAW A COMPARISON BEYOND GIANT "ROBOTS".

I don't get it. What is this supposed to mean? There are plenty of comparable elements beyong the giant robot aspect.

Eh, well, I'm a bit peeved about this because of a conversation I had with a classmate the other day.

I should change that to "when IDIOTS compare Gundam and Eva". I just don't think you can compare it solely on the level of fighting/violence and the fact that there are robots.

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:32 pm

Dr. Nick wrote:Welcome to mecha anime. And wut, welcome to anime in general.

The funny thing is, in other Anime nobody would really give a damn about all this, because, like you said, it's just Anime. But NGE's insane popularity and its ability to draw people in changes all that, doesn't it.

Besides, the Evas themselves totally go against all principles of military camouflage. Anime! :grin:
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Razeil100
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Razeil100 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:50 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:If I were in the mood to stir things, I'd post something like:

The Imp of the Perverse wrote:
Kaminoyouni wrote:EoE Shinji and A/S are my biggest pet peeves about Eva

Fixed

but really, it is what it is, and some of what it is is a mirror held up to the viewer, so the peeve is in large part a futile disgruntlement with other fans not grokking the series the same way I do.
Nice use of grok!
Oh and the rifles. They work once! And on a filler angel. I didn't see the point of wasting money on giant bullets.
Last edited by Razeil100 on Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

universalperson
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby universalperson » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:50 pm

AsukaChan wrote:I should change that to "when IDIOTS compare Gundam and Eva". I just don't think you can compare it solely on the level of fighting/violence and the fact that there are robots.

It's more like, comparing the fact that they use giant robots to tell deeper stories of the people in the robots.
Avatar courtesy of RetroRainbow, and the Eva art book.

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:40 am

UrsusArctos wrote:Besides, the Evas themselves totally go against all principles of military camouflage. Anime! :grin:

Yes, I was unaware of a lot of genre specifics at the time of writing those first comments, including the "red paint" rule. This shall be alleviated in the future.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:42 am

My Eva Pet Peeve:

WHEN PEOPLE QUESTION TEH AWESOMENESS OF TEH EVANGELION!!!
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

AsukaChan
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby AsukaChan » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:17 am

Sachiel_13 wrote:My Eva Pet Peeve:

WHEN PEOPLE QUESTION TEH AWESOMENESS OF TEH EVANGELION!!!

XDDD Agreed.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:20 am

Dr. Nick wrote:But it is entirely possible to know your stuff, and still dislike Shinji as a character.
I'd say it's very easy to dislike him as a character. That wasn't really my point.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Themaninblack
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Themaninblack » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:33 am

Eva Yojimbo wrote:
Dr. Nick wrote:But it is entirely possible to know your stuff, and still dislike Shinji as a character.
I'd say it's very easy to dislike him as a character. That wasn't really my point.

But....it sorta was though.

Though I have to admit it I like Shinji more than I do Asuka and Rei as characters...and so far in Rebuild it seems more like Shinji is much less a "mirror'' image of us than he was previously.

Though I agree NGE was a way to tell real Otkaus to get out of their rooms and get a life. I don't like compareing 'just' Shinji or even him at all to that. Its either the whole cast or just the basic theme of way people live that lifestyle (suprisingly I think much less than half on this website do) and why the shouldn't. Though I thought Anno branched out and meant for his message for not just them...but most of Japan. And that message can be applied to hte rest of the world as well. Stop living in a fairy tale and live in the real world. To bad considering the world we live in removeing human contact from ourlives everyday...that may no longer be possible.
I won.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:07 am

I think maybe we're confusing our "like"s here... "like" as a creation or "like" as a character? Like how I hate Travis Bickle as a character but love him as a creation...
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Themaninblack
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Themaninblack » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:24 am

Eva Yojimbo wrote:I think maybe we're confusing our "like"s here... "like" as a creation or "like" as a character? Like how I hate Travis Bickle as a character but love him as a creation...

Well I don't hate as a character but I don't like him as a character but I don't hate him. He has done the right thing, when few others would in some cases. Just as many characters ran away like he did from reality...but where less 'annoying' about it, like that matters. In the end he makes a decsion apparterntley no else can...so what does that tell about humanity in EoE if the kid who wants to end all life on the planet is the only one who regrets it getting destroyed. The fact that no one apperciates this...kinda scares me.

While I like Rei as a creation I hate her as a chacter, and while I hate Asuka as a creation...I kinda like her a a character. the fact that she is just as bad as Shinji but gets off because her chest is fun to look at also ticks me off.
I won.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:08 pm

Love Rei as a creation, hate her as a character, I'm rather ambivalent about Asuka both ways, and I love Shinji both ways... Perhaps closer to "admire" than "love", and perhaps that admiration comes from the fact of how different he is than most anime heroes.

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:36 pm

Or is it because Shinji actually is a very sweet person when nobody realizes it? He's not one of the bloody hero types who says "I'll protect you" (Ayato from RahX for instance, or Van Fanel from Escaflowne) and then goes about killing like Rambo. Even Gendo, whom anyone would agree is way worse than Shinji, isn't intrinsically horrible.

Rei actually comes about as being an increasingly empty character, in that it is too hard for anyone to understand what she's feeling (This might ironically have helped her shoot up in popularity ratings). You can feel Shinji's pain of being dumped like a sack of potatoes or the sheer black horror of Asuka watching her crazy mother cuddle that doll but you can't really feel the blankness of Rei's existence.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

AsukaChan
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby AsukaChan » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:54 am

I admire Shinji as well, for the same reason -- of him not being the typical anime hero. I really appreciate that in a main character. Although, there's plenty of times when I want to punch him because he doesn't want to do anything. XD

But, I also love Asuka because I'm almost jealous of her personality. At the beginning, at least, she's very gung-ho and has what comes off as a lot of confidence and security in her own abilities. I WISH I had that, even if it wasn't completely true, as with her. Because, of course, with each failure it began to deteriorate so it wasn't genuine confidence. Even if she does come across as a "bitch", I really like her because of the part of her personality that allows her to say what's on her mind.

As for Rei, she's way up there on my list of characters that I like, even if I don't completely understand her.

I just seem to be able to relate to a lot of characters other people can't. Probably because I'm weird. XD But even when everyone I knew hated Gendo because of his attitude, I just couldn't. I had complete sympathy for him. XD

Sceleris
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Sceleris » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:02 am

There's really nothing I dislike about Neon Genesis Evangelion. I recognize it's flaws, but I like it for what it is. Like the main characters -- flawed, but I like and empathize with them.

However I do get annoyed when some people seemingly hate on the show or treat it different from other anime just because it was/is popular and influential. Like, they are all right with Gundam having a hundred sequels and remakes, but somehow Rebuild is purely greedy and distasteful. Or, "personal taste is subjective, except when it comes to NGE because I hate it". (I'm all right with people disliking NGE. It's the inconsistency I don't like.)

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:41 am

This is NGE, not Titanic. I'd be surprised if even a single of those haters abstained from watching the next instalment of Rebuild...or hunting for assorted spoilers, camrips and fansubs included.

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:13 am

UrsusArctos wrote:He's not one of the bloody hero types who says "I'll protect you" (Ayato from RahX for instance, or Van Fanel from Escaflowne) and then goes about killing like Rambo.

You make that sound like a bad thing. As far as I can recall, all those pilots had to fight for self-defense. And another difference, the enemies Shinji and Ayato fought were most of the time not (conventional) humans: in this sense, they are definitely super-type pilots, whereas Van is undoubtedly a real-type pilot.

For what I can tell, very few mecha protagonists are total killing machines (New Getter Robo incarnations of Ryoma and Hayato being notable exceptions). Some may start out as pretty immoral, emotionless guys, sometimes bent on revenge, but they usually tend to develop as characters during the course of their respective series.

I give it to you, though, that Van from the movie version of Escaflowne is one violent son of a bitch.

AsukaChan wrote:I admire Shinji as well, for the same reason -- of him not being the typical anime hero.

Related to what I said above, I would claim Shinji is not different from other mecha pilots because he is angsty. No siree, Eva didn't invent angst. What it did differently was to compound the protagonist's angst by making almost every supporting character a severe problem case as well. In a typical series, other people help the hero to overcome his or her problems, but that doesn't happen in Eva, and that's what gives the series its infamous "HOLY JESUS, THIS IS ANGSTY!" feel.

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:40 am

Even TV-Van manages to slaughter a whole lot of elite pilots with ease and can kill people without even bothering about it, performs incredible acrobatics and kills off a dragon. Neither Shinji nor Ayato pulled that off.

Ayato says "I'll protect you" to a whole lot of people, and that comes off as being pretty foolish at the end, when he undergoes something eerily similar to instrumentality, things become pretty unconvincing.

Shinji had his mom to take over and go berserk whenever needed (Well, except when Ramiel's death beam was turned on her), and his mom was the whole reason he was a pilot in the first place. Not that he was born a prince, or a half-mulian, but because of something his bioengineer mother had in mind for him. And ordinary boy becomes slightly-only very slightly- extraordinary in being an Eva pilot, because his very nice mom decides to become extraordinary in taking the plunge and becoming the Eva's soul.

Operation Yashima
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Operation Yashima » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:57 am

Two words:

Kimochi Warui...

If WoW does not give me an answer for this I will be !@#$%^&*()

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”