MARATHON:Ever watched Eva start to finish?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Halicat
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Halicat » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:47 pm

If I get some time off work, [Maybe at Easter] I plan to marathon 1-26 and EoE and MAYBE 0.1 and 0.2. I've only managed to watch 1-26 over three days [Curse you job!]

Zeruel
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Zeruel » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:19 pm

I did it stupidly the first time I ever watched it. I got the black box set perfect collection by adv for x-mas along with EoE and Death and Rebirth and I started at like 8 at night and didn't finish till 6 or 7 the next morning...........what a mistake that was, didn't understand anything and being 15 at the time didn't help either........
Why in God's name would I wanna keep writing about characters whose central preoccupation are weed and dick and fart jokes? I mean, ya gotta grow man. Don't you ever want anything more for yourself? I know this poor hapless son of a bitch does. I look into his sorry doe eyes and I just, I see a man crying out. He's crying out, "When Lord? When the fuck can your servant ditch this foul-mouthed little chucklehead to whom I am a constant victim of his folly, so much so that it prevents him from ever getting to kiss a girl! Fuck! When, Lord when? WHENS GONNA BE MY TIME?

scarmullet
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby scarmullet » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:23 am

I did it once. I was fixing some stuff at the time. I was repairing NES consoles, Famicom Disk Systems, my moms DVD recorder, the works. I have mild ADD, I cant just sit and watch an Anime, after an episode or two, I get bored even if I like the show.
Me and my Droogs.
http://www.youtube.com/user/scarmulletpart2
Serindip LLC are Nazis!!!!

unholyagent
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby unholyagent » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:11 am

I tried once, I made it through the entire series but fell asleep halfway through EOE
God is in his heaven
All is right with the world

Avatar: Rei + MP5 + Maid's Outfit = Deadly Combo
Blender:the best free 3d animation software
http://www.blender.org/

MisatoCrush
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby MisatoCrush » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:27 am

I'm sorry about bringing back all these really old posts, but all the new threads that I want to create have already been spoken about in these ancient threads. Please let me know if this is annoying and I will stop.

Re the OP:
I did a quasi-marathon over a few days, Japanese language with English subs.

But I was kind of conflicted about watching it all so fast.
After the first few episodes I knew I really liked the show.

Is it a bad thing to watch it all so fast for the first viewing?
Isn't it better to stretch it out over a few weeks or months and actually savor it?
Did I spoil or sully my experience by watching everything so quickly?
I watched the Neon Genesis Evangelion TV show and films for the 1st time in January 2014. Heartbreakingly sad but so beautiful too. I'm here to discuss theories about what happened in the show.

Gorbatschow
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Gorbatschow » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:41 am

View Original PostMisatoCrush wrote:Is it a bad thing to watch it all so fast for the first viewing?
Isn't it better to stretch it out over a few weeks or months and actually savor it?
Did I spoil or sully my experience by watching everything so quickly?

It's kind of a double-edged sword. I watched it my second time in a marathon (11 hours more or less straight and it was really depressing. (I really liked that) ) If you watch it in a marathon (And stay "concentrated") you get the best impression of the emotional qualities, characters and sociological elements of the of show, although it can be hard to get a clue what's going in the background story. (It's almost impossible to understand "Angels, NERV, Fruits, SEELE, Instrumentality, etc. on the first run, anyway)

If I would be able to watch EVA again, without any foreknowledge, I'd choose the first run to be a marathon (To bet hit in the face by the character development, sociological and emotional elements) and the second run to be based on 3-4 episodes a day (To understand the background story and sub-text). This would be my solution the understand and enjoy all layers (Plot(s), Characters, Sub-Text) as comfortable as possible. So, you're on the best way to understand "completely". IMO
Avatar: Mugen no Juunin- coloured by me | UserPic: Last month's avatar (Eden: It's an endless World)
__
"Everyone has the right to self-determination and every try to classify a human being as better, dumber, worse or gentical assessed is pure fascism and everyone in this country should actually know that“- Serdar Somuncu

“Intelligent men do not decide any subject until they have carefully examined both or all sides of it. Fools, cowards, and those too lazy to think, accept blindly, without examining dogmas and doctrines imposed upon them in childhood by their parents, priests, and teachers, when their minds could not reason.” - James Hervey Johnson

“Science doesn’t give absolute answers; it only shows the most presumable contingency based on actual, practical or theoretical evidences.” – My physics teacher

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:20 pm

As I've stated before, marathoning it is how I watched it both my first and second viewings (and kind of my third and fourth).

View Original PostMisatoCrush wrote:I'm sorry about bringing back all these really old posts, but all the new threads that I want to create have already been spoken about in these ancient threads. Please let me know if this is annoying and I will stop.

Don't apologize for it. Bringing back these old threads also has the benefit of bringing their attention to new users who never saw them, giving them a chance to respond.
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

Gorbatschow
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Gorbatschow » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:33 pm

View Original PostCJD wrote:Don't apologize for it. Bringing back these old threads also has the benefit of bringing their attention to new users who never saw them, giving them a chance to respond.

Excactly :D I'm quite thankful to see these threads.
Avatar: Mugen no Juunin- coloured by me | UserPic: Last month's avatar (Eden: It's an endless World)
__
"Everyone has the right to self-determination and every try to classify a human being as better, dumber, worse or gentical assessed is pure fascism and everyone in this country should actually know that“- Serdar Somuncu

“Intelligent men do not decide any subject until they have carefully examined both or all sides of it. Fools, cowards, and those too lazy to think, accept blindly, without examining dogmas and doctrines imposed upon them in childhood by their parents, priests, and teachers, when their minds could not reason.” - James Hervey Johnson

“Science doesn’t give absolute answers; it only shows the most presumable contingency based on actual, practical or theoretical evidences.” – My physics teacher

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:21 pm

Personally I think it's better to break it up by quarters/arcs (1-7/8-13/14-21/22-26[or 22'-EoE]) as that let's you enjoy each chunk of the story more for what it is and gives a more concrete narrative direction to each 'movement'. Doing it this way blunts the sharp tonal changes Shinji would be going through emotionally, yes, but it's a much better user experience.

If giving yourself a bad case of 'teh feels' is your goal, however, by all means watch it all in a row.
Last edited by NemZ on Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:21 pm

Watched it all the way through in one night. I can honestly say that it was the worst idea that I've ever had.

Next time I marathon it like that, it will be when the sun is shining and the flowers are singing.

Sephizim
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sephizim » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:59 pm

I came close twice. Upon my very first viewing of the series, I marathon'd episodes 14-23 (up until that point I was watching it on a shitty DVD player that made even watching a single episode without interruption nearly impossible). Years later, I introduced it to two of my friends over a weekend. We watched OA 1-26, then did the NPC episodes, then Death, then EoE. I can't remember at what point we stopped on the first day (it was pretty early on) and then we stopped at 26 on the second day, then did the NPC episodes and movies on the last day. Even that was an interesting experience. Tried to show them the first two Rebuild movies after that, but, as they put it, they were "too EVA-ed out."

One of these days I'll watch it start to finish. Without stopping it would take somewhere around 13-14 hours (to do it the way I described above), so that is totally doable.

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:25 pm

I've only marathoned all three Eva films. (Two times)

MisatoCrush
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby MisatoCrush » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:45 pm

View Original PostSephizim wrote:We watched OA 1-26, then did the NPC episodes, then Death, then EoE.

Hi. Could you explain some acronyms for me the newb?
OA 1-26...original airing?
NPC?
I watched the Neon Genesis Evangelion TV show and films for the 1st time in January 2014. Heartbreakingly sad but so beautiful too. I'm here to discuss theories about what happened in the show.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:57 pm

OA would be the original series as broadcast, yes. NPC is the new production cut, also labeled DC (director's cut) or just denoted with a '. Episodes 21-24 of the series were altered before video release in many ways, some small and some blatant.
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf

Sephizim
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sephizim » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:01 pm

View Original PostMisatoCrush wrote:Hi. Could you explain some acronyms for me the newb?
OA 1-26...original airing?
NPC?

Ah, sorry. I've been thinking entirely in abbreviations due to all my work on music stuff in the wiki.

OA: On-Air version. This is pretty much used to describe the normal versions of the episodes. I don't know offhand if it also refers to the pre-Renewal versions (Renewal being the restored and revamped version from the early-to-mid 2000's). I use it to distinguish from NPC which stands for New Production Cut. Its a fancy way of referring to the 4 "director's cut" episodes (which are episodes 21', 22', 23' and 24'). Those are found on the American Platinum releases of the series, as well as a few other places.

The reason I describe watching the series like that is because as I see it, the OA versions of 21-24 lead into episodes 25 and 26 of the series. Then, looping back to episodes 21'-24' leads better into the movies (since the next episode preview in 24' is for episode 25', the first half of End of Evangelion). I include Death because I will argue to the ends of the earth that it is necessary to watch, and then you have a more seamless transition into the movies.

However, I'm just thorough. Supplanting the OA versions of those four episodes with the NPC ones, and then watching EoE after episode 26 is also valid too. I guess.

EDIT: Wow, beaten to the punch mere seconds before I posted my reply. Well done, sir.

EDIT 2: Or 4 minutes actually. Huh, your reply didn't show up in the little box below when I went to preview my post...

MisatoCrush
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby MisatoCrush » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:04 pm

Thanks for helping the new kid.

AngelNo13Bardiel
Still Ill
Still Ill

•      
  •      

Postby AngelNo13Bardiel » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:39 am

First time through, it took me a week to watch it through (series--Death/Rebirth--EoE). Turns out I was just pacing myself, now that I look back on it in hindsight.

After that, marathons were the only way to do it. You can't just watch one episode/volume. As far as to how many? Um...let's see...I'd have to say it's near two dozen by now, give or take a margin error of two or three (I can't recall an exact number).
Evangelion fan since 15 October 2002, Evangelion fanfiction writer since 1 April 2004. (FFN) (AO3)
Current avatar: Don't mind Mr. Joel--after all, he didn't start the dumpster fire that is 2020.
Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly. - Franz Kafka
Clones to the left of me, tsunderes to the right...and here I am, stuck in the middle with Shinji. - how I view my experience with Evangelion
-When it comes to Asuka/Shinji, pre-EoE is like moving Mount Everest and post-EoE is like moving the Olympus Mons. Either way, it's moving a mountain. It's just the size of said mountain.-

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:07 am

View Original PostSephizim wrote:The reason I describe watching the series like that is because as I see it, the OA versions of 21-24 lead into episodes 25 and 26 of the series. Then, looping back to episodes 21'-24' leads better into the movies (since the next episode preview in 24' is for episode 25', the first half of End of Evangelion). I include Death because I will argue to the ends of the earth that it is necessary to watch, and then you have a more seamless transition into the movies.

I'm with you on all of this, save Death. With the DC episodes already containing all the new footage and more there's no need for it... it's just a recap, much like the first half of 14. At least 14 has a framing story that actually matters however, unlike Death's rather pointless string quartet that can't possibly fit in anywhere in the narrative.

Gorbatschow
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Gorbatschow » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:44 am

View Original PostNemZ wrote:I'm with you on all of this, save Death. With the DC episodes already containing all the new footage and more there's no need for it... it's just a recap, much like the first half of 14. At least 14 has a framing story that actually matters however, unlike Death's rather pointless string quartet that can't possibly fit in anywhere in the narrative.

The best about Death is the complete lack of tension or a golden thread. And a friend of mine watched the first time he wanted to watch Evangelion, Death and after that EoE.

The theories he had were quite ... interesting :huh:
__

Sephizim
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sephizim » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:34 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:I'm with you on all of this, save Death. With the DC episodes already containing all the new footage and more there's no need for it... it's just a recap, much like the first half of 14. At least 14 has a framing story that actually matters however, unlike Death's rather pointless string quartet that can't possibly fit in anywhere in the narrative.

Like I said, I'm thorough. The way I see it, a lot of thought and effort was put into making Death, and even though the content of the DC episodes was excised from the version of Death we have available, I still feel like it was always intended to be an essential part of the viewing experience. It is another connection to Ideon, where the first movie was also a recap. Is it necessary for the viewing experience? No. But if you want to be thorough, yeah, it should be watched. Otherwise they wouldn't keep releasing it as part of the lineup. But that's just my opinion, and I will always fiercely defend that movie.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”