Some Japanese questions....

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

King_Panther13
Adam

Some Japanese questions....

•      
  •      

Postby King_Panther13 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:21 am

Yeah, so I'm getting confused to some of the things I'm hearing while watching the subs...well not really confused, just plain out curious. So I'm just going to list the amazing TWO questions I have about Japanese language/culture that I have right now. I may come up with more later, so yeah I'll bump.

First....what's with Unit 1 and 2 being called Shogoki and Nagoki(not sure if this one is right) ? Is it just how they say "Unit X" in Japanese, or does it have some meaning to it?

Second....wtf kind of music do they listen to? I hear this weird music from Shinjis player, and of course the theme song comes to mind when hearing this. I know that everybody is individual, and has their own tastes etc etc, but you can pretty much sum the music tastes in America up as "Rap, Hip Hop, and Rock". I'm guessing they like a techno mixture of things, or more Pop noise. I'd just like clarification from people who know more about it.

Thanks everyone :).

(Also, I didn't know which forums to put this in....I think it fits here, but if not please move it)

zephyr72
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby zephyr72 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:51 am

Shogouki and NIgouki. Ni means two and gouki im guessing means something like unit. In shogouki`s case, im not really sure, but i do know that sho- preceding some things means first or one. For example, `shodan` means first degree (black belt). the `sho` part of the word saisho (meaning first), is the same as the symbol used in shogouki (and shodan).

King_Panther13
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby King_Panther13 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:12 am

That clears a lot up. Something goes "wha?" in my head when I see what would be two words being turned into one.

About the culture n' such now?

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:13 am

http://www.evacommentary.org/appendix/geektionary.html#gouki
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

flatulant
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby flatulant » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:57 am

In episode 8, what does Kaji mean when he asks Shinji "Does Misato still toss and turn in bed?"
Last edited by flatulant on Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:27 am

He's making a joke that Shinji and Misato are sleeping together.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

flatulant
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby flatulant » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:42 am

BrikHaus wrote:He's making a joke that Shinji and Misato are sleeping together.

I get it now! :lol: That explains the faces everyone makes.
Last edited by flatulant on Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:43 pm

With the songs on Shinji's SDAT, track 25 (You Are The Only One) and track 26 (Aoi (Blue) Legend) are sung by Mitsuishi Kotono (Misato's voiceactress), and are from the video game soundtrack Lilia From Ys.

You can read up more here:
http://evacommentary.org/episode-02/episode-02A-scene4.html#078

and here
http://evacommentary.org/episode-04/episode-04A-scene2A.html#036

Hope that helps.

Oh and btw, later in the series, for instance episode 23', Track 25 is changed to something else, I'm not sure what. And in episode 02, the SDAT tracks 25 & 26 are Eva BGM pieces, A-2 Background Music and B-4 Fly Me to The Moon, respectively. http://evacommentary.org/episode-02/episode-02B-scene6.html#166
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Re: Some Japanese questions....

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:02 pm

King_Panther13 wrote: Second....wtf kind of music do they listen to?

I've observed that the two major genres are J-Pop and J-Rock. There is some techno and rap, but it's much more niche. Aside from that, anime and game music is popular among otaku. They also have some culturally based music which I'm not very familiar with. Then you have music imported from other parts of the world.

King_Panther13
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby King_Panther13 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:13 pm

Mmmm nice information, thank you all. Yeah, I am a total noob to Japanese culture, and still a noob to a bit of NGE....kind of embarrassing to ask these things, so thanks for the quick answers :P.

I'll bump this with other questions if they pop up. I'm going to do a bit of research in J-Pop and J-Rock, maybe I'll find some more original music that I can start listening to.

King_Panther13
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby King_Panther13 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:42 am

So, I noticed something very strange in some dialog.....during the blackout when Matarael attacked, when the van advertising some political party drove by Hyuga said "Lucky!" in a really....odd voice(to me anyhow). I then remembered Asuka saying it before too, when going shopping with Kaji....and one moment(I forgot exactly when) Asuka gets really sneaky eyes, looks away, and says "Chance!".

I'm wondering...what's with the random tossing of American words? Do they really use words like that in Japan, or is it just an anime thing? This really got me curious...glad I already had this thread made ahead of time.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:47 am

King_Panther13 wrote: I'm wondering...what's with the random tossing of English words?

Fixed ur post

Engrish is cool in Japan. Watch more subs, and you'll hear a lot of it.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Snowshadow Falcon
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Snowshadow Falcon » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:10 am

Something I've been wondering for some time: It seems that there are different ways of saying 'good-bye' yet it's all translated the same depite strong differences in meaning. Can anyone provide more information?
One example that comes to mind would be the coversations Shinji and Rei have in episode 6 before and after the fight; I've always felt this lost some meaning in the translation.
This signature is currently undergoing maintenance...Check back for updates in the near future!

Katayoku no Tenshi
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Katayoku no Tenshi » Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:56 am

Snowshadow Falcon wrote:Something I've been wondering for some time: It seems that there are different ways of saying 'good-bye' yet it's all translated the same depite strong differences in meaning. Can anyone provide more information?
One example that comes to mind would be the coversations Shinji and Rei have in episode 6 before and after the fight; I've always felt this lost some meaning in the translation.

Well, sometimes the major difference between the words is the level of formality; sayonara I think is the most formal one you're likely to see and is said if you don't intend to see someone for a long time. Sort of like Farewell. Less formal are the ones that begin with 'Ja' like 'Ja ne' or 'Ja matta' that mean see you later. The least formal I think would be Bai Bai (Bye Bye) you'll mostly see that when classmates part ways at the end of the day. I don't recall if I've ever seen it used but Domo (or something very similar) appears to mean *insert appropriate expression here*. So a greeting in the evening might go -Konbanwa.(good evening) -Domo (same to you[?]) So informal you don’t even say it! I don't speak Japanese thought so *shrug*

I'm not sure what you mean by before and after the fight...
+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

King_Panther13
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby King_Panther13 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:42 pm

I think he means on the fight against Ramiel.....Rei said "Goodbye" to Shinji right before they fought....and after the fight, when Shinji is crying in Rei's plug, he says "don't ever say goodbye like that before a fight!". I'm assuming that he means both instances the phrase was used, it was used differently....though personally I never noticed that when watching the sub. I'll have to go back and check again :P.

Snowshadow Falcon
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Snowshadow Falcon » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:44 pm

No, it was used the same way, but I had noticed the different ways of saying goodbye before so I guessed that I was probably missing something there. I forgot about Japanese formality! :oops:
This signature is currently undergoing maintenance...Check back for updates in the near future!

Katayoku no Tenshi
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Katayoku no Tenshi » Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:52 pm

Snowshadow Falcon wrote:No, it was used the same way, but I had noticed the different ways of saying goodbye before so I guessed that I was probably missing something there. I forgot about Japanese formality! :oops:

I watched it this morning and it sounded like 'Ja sayonara' which at a guess would be: Well then, farewell *la sigh* :lol:
+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Snowshadow Falcon
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Snowshadow Falcon » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:26 pm

Katayoku no Tenshi wrote:Which at a guess would be: Well then, farewell *la sigh* :lol:

Haha, yeah, I actually thought myself that 'farewell' would be better, but as I don't really know any Japanese, I was just basing it on what I could see (I would also say tone of voice, but it's Rei, so I replace that with the fact that it's her :lol: ). I had a brain lapse while thinking about this and focused on why they translated it the same rather than why it should be different.
*hits head against wall*

King_Panther13
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby King_Panther13 » Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:39 pm

These forums are back up just in time for another question!

So, what's with everyone and their mother saying "Post-war" Japan....uh, wasn't the war over like over 60 years ago? Was there some other war that happened that I don't know about? Or is WW2 still affecting Japan to this day?

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby CorporalChaos » Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:57 pm

King_Panther13 wrote:Or is WW2 still affecting Japan to this day?

Er, I take it you haven't read the article on anonymous group suicide. I'd link you to it, but it's been bumped off the Eva Monkey front page, and I don't know how to go read the old news posts.

So, if anybody would be as kind to link that?
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”