Did Rei II have a love for Shinji?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

TheAyanamiOtaku
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby TheAyanamiOtaku » Wed May 28, 2008 6:18 pm

Hm...Rei hints that the only reason she is living is for her end...but does she get attached to Shinji enough to live for him?
Rei: I'm not your puppet.

The Allied States of Syraneen

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Wed May 28, 2008 7:32 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:AEF: Quoting the line in that case wasn't necessary when it was only a one line comment you made.

I disagree because I had no idea what you were doing there...

And knock it off with the sass.

Twas not sass, I was being serious.

TheAyanamiOtaku wrote:Hm...Rei hints that the only reason she is living is for her end...but does she get attached to Shinji enough to live for him?

Attached enough to sacrifice her physical existance for his happiness.
Oh, but God forbid any of these theories have any validity! After all, we are just brainwashing innocent people with Reichu's fanclub propaganda!--Trigger's Elysium sarcasm for the masses!

TheAyanamiOtaku
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby TheAyanamiOtaku » Wed May 28, 2008 7:41 pm

@AEF: do we actually know that she sacrificed herself for Shinji, or because she knew she was going to wake up in another clone'd body?

PartyHard
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby PartyHard » Wed May 28, 2008 7:44 pm

Watch the director's cut episode 23. It was for Shinji.
* Kederaji is now officially offended by the Red Cross.
<FraX> How much blood did they want today?
<Kederaji> Well, you know that questionnaire they ask you before they poke you with the needle?
<FraX> Yeah.
<Kederaji> Well, the guy took a look at me and started marking all the sex related questions as "No".
<Kederaji> Didn't even bother to ask me, just marked them "No."
<Kederaji> The bastard.
<FraX> Was he right?
<Kederaji> He was, but that's not the point!

Eric Blair
Alberto del Rio
Alberto del Rio

•      
  •      

Postby Eric Blair » Wed May 28, 2008 7:59 pm

Anonymous_Evafan wrote:Attached enough to sacrifice her physical existence for his happiness.

But still the final reason eludes description; was it the selfless love of a mother for her child, or of a lover for that which she cannot have?
In this time of Rebuild, I'm proud to be one of the few fans of the original NGE, and one of the last proud fans of Asuka Langley Soryu.
Avatar: A fighting boy meets girl on a one night stand, walking into the blue, ending day by day as they dance in a very merry Christmas, continuing on my own as a burning one man force while you come and make my day approaching in the nick of time and always, stand by me.

TheAyanamiOtaku
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby TheAyanamiOtaku » Wed May 28, 2008 8:23 pm

I was just wondering if Shinji was the only thing that Rei was thinking about saving during that period. That's just being curious...on my part..

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Wed May 28, 2008 8:30 pm

TheAyanamiOtaku wrote:@AEF: do we actually know that she sacrificed herself for Shinji, or because she knew she was going to wake up in another clone'd body?

I meant 3I.
Oh, but God forbid any of these theories have any validity! After all, we are just brainwashing innocent people with Reichu's fanclub propaganda!--Trigger's Elysium sarcasm for the masses!

Kurochi
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Kurochi » Wed May 28, 2008 9:09 pm

Eric Blair wrote:But still the final reason eludes description; was it the selfless love of a mother for her child, or of a lover for that which she cannot have?

Is there no reason it can not be both? It is generally taboo that a mother love her child in a romantic way, which fulfills the second criteria of the latter statement, and the first criteria of the first one.
Who needs roads when we've got wings?
Who needs wings when we've got minds?
Who needs minds when we've got sins?

PartyHard
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby PartyHard » Wed May 28, 2008 9:31 pm

Eric Blair wrote:But still the final reason eludes description; was it the selfless love of a mother for her child, or of a lover for that which she cannot have?

Knowing Eva, it's probably both.
<Kederaji> Well, you know that questionnaire they ask you before they poke you with the needle?
<FraX> Yeah.
<Kederaji> Well, the guy took a look at me and started marking all the sex related questions as "No".
<Kederaji> The bastard.
<FraX> Was he right?

TheAyanamiOtaku
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby TheAyanamiOtaku » Thu May 29, 2008 3:19 am

AEF wrote:I meant 3I.

Oh. :pwnd:

Eric Blair
Alberto del Rio
Alberto del Rio

•      
  •      

Postby Eric Blair » Thu May 29, 2008 9:52 am

Kurochi wrote:Is there no reason it can not be both? It is generally taboo that a mother love her child in a romantic way, which fulfills the second criteria of the latter statement, and the first criteria of the first one.

PartyHard wrote:Knowing Eva, it's probably both.

I suspect Kurochi identified very well the reason of why it has to be either or; while Eva might be a lot of things and abuse the pointless religious symbolism, for me at the bare bones and marrow of it all Eva is nothing more than the story of someone longing to get the approval of his/her Paternal figure, be it mother, father or anything in between.

While the line is smudged quite obviously with Shinji a great deal of time (I seem to remember a spoof of how the eva characters would be named if they ever get the RL Hollywood treatment; Shinji Ikari would become Jimmy Icarus, and someone mentioned that Oediups might be a more appropriate surname) it is interesting to know that, as Chee pointed out, the same case in reversed form can be seen (albeit with a bit more logic jumping) in Rei II. Same as Misato/Kaji, and to a certain extent Asuka.

So perhaps it's three types of affective love: the maternal Yui/Rei-Shinji side, the filial Rei-Shinji, the daughter Rei-Gendo/Shinji and on the other side of the spectrum, the more appropriate "sexual" type of love.
Last edited by Eric Blair on Thu May 29, 2008 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In this time of Rebuild, I'm proud to be one of the few fans of the original NGE, and one of the last proud fans of Asuka Langley Soryu.
Avatar: A fighting boy meets girl on a one night stand, walking into the blue, ending day by day as they dance in a very merry Christmas, continuing on my own as a burning one man force while you come and make my day approaching in the nick of time and always, stand by me.

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Thu May 29, 2008 11:43 am

Anonymous_Evafan wrote:Twas not sass, I was being serious.

I don't get your meaning, AEF. Your response to SSD was very rude, intentional or not.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Thu May 29, 2008 11:59 am

I don't see how, I was only clarifying the source of my confusion. The natrual reaction to a mod directing a reply towards you is to assume they think you've done something wrong. That's why that sort of subtle humor doesn't work for mods.

PartyHard
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby PartyHard » Thu May 29, 2008 12:55 pm

@Eric Blair
Well said.
<FraX> Yeah.
<Kederaji> The bastard.
<FraX> Was he right?

BLACKANGEL32076
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby BLACKANGEL32076 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:42 pm

Evangelion217 wrote:Yes, I do think she loved him. Now whether it was a sisterly love, or the love a woman is still up for debate. But yes, she did love him. It's shown in a subtle kind of way, but it's there.

In the end. that's the biggest problem in trying to define where these two stand with one another. Not even they could define what they felt for one another.
-...because a lot can happen in 24hrs.
-"Consistancy people, consistancy!!!"-George Carlin

Dancemacabre
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Dancemacabre » Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:11 am

I don' t think Rei loved Shinji from a maternal point of view... I mean, simply because she's a partial clone of Yui doesn't mean that she shares the same perspective of Shinji as Yui did. Besides, the both of them don't seem to understand the full depth of their relationship. Rei's desire to protect Shinji isn't necessarily motherly either-one will desire to protect anyone they love in any way. No, in my opinion I believe Rei II loved Shinji in a more romantic-orienteered manner.
A moment of silence for Rei x Shinji forever...

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:06 am

Either way, people tend to forget THIS bit of Rei's line (bolded by me):

23' wrote:Rei: This is my heart wanting to become one with Ikari-kun? No.

Which goes along with not only what Rei 2 is referring to, but also Rei 3 not wanting to be one with Shinji through Instrumentality, as well. (Wanting to make him happy whatever that would entail.)
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

PartyHard
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby PartyHard » Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:00 pm

I thought it was obvious she was telling that to herself, as in 'stop, dont do something stupid and selfish'. Like EoE Rei, she is concerned about Shinji's wishes more than her own.
<FraX> Yeah.
<Kederaji> The bastard.
<FraX> Was he right?

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:51 pm

ah, another day, another impassioned defense of S/A shipping
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Zuggy
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Zuggy » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:15 am

I don't believe that I can be loved by others... I'm not
worthy of love. This is my retribution. Forgive me, Shinji.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”