Evangelion: Pretentiously deep?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Opteron-O3
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Opteron-O3 » Fri May 11, 2007 12:40 pm

Gotcha, thanks to both of you.

I liked slothens too :D
Last edited by Opteron-O3 on Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

n00dle
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby n00dle » Fri May 11, 2007 5:05 pm

Seriously, he could just pinch her or poke her or something, you don't have to get your choke on to confirm she's real.
Gone away

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Fri May 11, 2007 9:15 pm

n00dle wrote:Seriously, he could just pinch her or poke her or something, you don't have to get your choke on to confirm she's real.

Anno wanted to freak us out so it needed to be freaked out I think. It needed to be something drastic to leave a . . stong impression
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

Opteron-O3
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Opteron-O3 » Fri May 11, 2007 11:31 pm

Just the last line was strong enough...
Last edited by Opteron-O3 on Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shwiggie
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Shwiggie » Fri May 11, 2007 11:50 pm

BrikHaus wrote:
EvaOtaku Website wrote:the absolute answer, held within the Eva Carddass Masters Trading Card Game

If that's the official line on it, then case closed. But that doesn't mean it makes a lick of sense. In fact, it's ridiculous...he's been alone, what, five whole minutes? O NOES, I CHOK JOO, HAW! *SNIFFLE*

Sometimes the simplest explanations are the best...another instance of, "I reject your reality and substitute my own."

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sat May 12, 2007 12:03 am

Shwiggie wrote:[he's been alone, what, five whole minutes? O NOES, I CHOK JOO, HAW! *SNIFFLE*

see here: http://evageeks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2270

Victorthebattousai
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Victorthebattousai » Sat May 12, 2007 12:24 am

Hmm. Perhaps Shinji strangled Asuka in order to make sure she hated him? The card said something about him verifying his existence and rejection. Perhaps it was his way of verifying rejection? I'm half asleep, who knows what i'm talking about :shock:

Oh, and here's a quote I found(from someone or another here) that sums up my ideas on NGE:
"But, you see, the characters are important.

Details like extraterrestrial humanoid civilizations and their wacky technology, "gods", pointy bio-weapons, the Secret Dead Sea Scrolls, Super Solenoid Engines, quantum "apparitions", whose soul is in who, metaphysical biology, the why and how behind Second Impact & Third Impact & P3II & Instrumentality, Contact Experiments, Fruits, plotholes in #24('), the Tree of Life, etc., etc., etc., on the other hand, don't matter. "

Characters=Amazing. Everything Else=Weird.
I hate not having my Siggy.

n00dle
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby n00dle » Sat May 12, 2007 1:04 pm

Yes, but the characters are tightly bound to everything else. I kinda doubt if Shinji or Misato would be as compelling if they were removed from the NGE world and put somewhere else.

And what plot holes do you speak of? Seems everything comes together quite nicely in the end.
Gone away

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat May 12, 2007 1:08 pm

Victorthebattousai wrote:Oh, and here's a quote I found(from someone or another here) that sums up my ideas on NGE

You fell right into the talons of my drought-dry sarcasm.

Would work equally well if you inverted it.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sat May 12, 2007 1:34 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:
why open with lethal force?
Inter-film scene tie in (the strangulation in P3II). It makes sense that the act that starts 3I/Instrumentality is also the first act done by the main character when it's finished.

n00dle wrote:
And what plot holes do you speak of? Seems everything comes together quite nicely in the end.
The mechanics of 2I/3I, the entirety of the Seele/SDSS and their relation to the FAR and the SOLs, and most of 24.

Within the canon of NGE, these things are never properly answered. Frustrated/fanatical/interested (take your pick) viewers left to contemplate and speculate and mas... nevermind.

Reichu wrote:

Would work equally well if you inverted it.
QFT.

However, can we think of any good SF works that aren't equally as "weird" as NGE if you really think about it? Maybe Blade Runner wasn't THAT absurd...
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

n00dle
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby n00dle » Sat May 12, 2007 1:42 pm

You call it absurd, I call it classic.
Gone away

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sat May 12, 2007 1:49 pm

n00dle wrote:You call it absurd, I call it classic.
I said it WASN'T absurd compared to a lot of SF. Blade Runner felt more like a really grim look into a very possible future. a lot of fantasy/SF takes ridiculous premises and run with them (I include NGE in that). It's ok if done well, but creating different worlds/futures is a tricky thing. Prompts many bad series to have one deus ex machina twist after another.

Yes, Blade Runner is a well deserved classic. I think the new film Children of Men will be thought of in the same light years from now - a smart, futuristic SF that doesn't feel that futuristic at all.
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

n00dle
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby n00dle » Sat May 12, 2007 2:37 pm

Ghost in the Shell is probably one of the best when it comes to believability. Only problem is that I think 2030 is to soon, it should take place in maybe 2050-60, then it'd be all good. Anyway, NGE is really the ultimate Deus Ex Machina isn't it? Quite literally Godd(ess) from a Machine. Speaking of Deus Ex, now THAT game was the ultimate realistic portrayal of the future imo. And yes, Children of Men rules. Also last 20 mintues of it feel like Battlefield.
Gone away

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sat May 12, 2007 2:52 pm

n00dle wrote:Ghost in the Shell is probably one of the best when it comes to believability. Only problem is that I think 2030 is to soon, it should take place in maybe 2050-60, then it'd be all good.
As far as anime goes, it probably is. And SF tends to think too soon into the future for their scenarios (2001, no?).

n00dle wrote:Anyway, NGE is really the ultimate Deus Ex Machina isn't it? Quite literally Godd(ess) from a Machine.
It's hard with NGE because we're not sure how much was planned and how much was improvised. There are moments that feel very deus ex machina-ish (nothing along the lines of Shymalanean though). But especially the later part of the series still has this very "it all makes sense somehow" feel to it. I think a better understaning of NGE's world of science would help tremendously in unlocking some of its secrets. As it kinda created a whole new way of dealing with a lot of common things that's kinda baffling upon first viewing...

n00dle wrote:Speaking of Deus Ex, now THAT game was the ultimate realistic portrayal of the future imo.
Superb game, and yes, it did feel very realistic. I think that game is 2nd to none when it comes to atmosphere. I would love to see it made into a series.

n00dle wrote:
And yes, Children of Men rules. Also last 20 mintues of it feel like Battlefield.
There's very few films (anymore) that blow me away with cinematography - that was one of them. The extended shots in that are something else. Watch the car scene again and notice how there are NO EDITS. I imagine that must've been nearly impossible to set up and film. And it's the camerawork near the end that lends a great deal of power to what's going on. The "blood" splashing on the camera (and then not editing to clean it) was a brilliant move. There's a very strong underlying message to the film as well (much like Blade Runner and Ghost in the Shell) that I think it gets across very well (if you're paying attention).

n00dle
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby n00dle » Sat May 12, 2007 4:01 pm

Indeed. There was talk of a Deus Ex movie, I don't think that's gone anywhere though. Sequel was disappointing to. And I meant NGE was sorta literally God from a Machine ie, Yui. Not Deus Ex as in the plot is wrapped up in a retarded way or anything.
Gone away

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sat May 12, 2007 4:30 pm

Eva Yojimbo wrote:There's very few films (anymore) that blow me away with cinematography - that was one of them. The extended shots in that are something else. Watch the car scene again and notice how there are NO EDITS. I imagine that must've been nearly impossible to set up and film.

Children of Men was a really awesome movie, but as far as continuous camera shot goes (originally started by Hitchcock's "Rope") it has nothing on "Russian Ark", a 2 hour long continuous shot with no edits, also a really awesome movie, spanning 200 years of Russian history and art in a 2 hour continuous shot of the Hermitage.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sat May 12, 2007 4:49 pm

Ornette wrote:
Children of Men was a really awesome movie, but as far as continuous camera shot goes (originally started by Hitchcock's "Rope") it has nothing on "Russian Ark", a 2 hour long continuous shot with no edits, also a really awesome movie, spanning 200 years of Russian history and art in a 2 hour continuous shot of the Hermitage.
Sounds interesting, I shall check it out. :)

n00dle wrote:Indeed. There was talk of a Deus Ex movie, I don't think that's gone anywhere though. Sequel was disappointing to. And I meant NGE was sorta literally God from a Machine ie, Yui. Not Deus Ex as in the plot is wrapped up in a retarded way or anything.
Oh, hehe. I guess it was literally that... there's been a trend of that in anime and SF lately though (Lain is another one that springs to mind - God from the Machine).

n00dle
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby n00dle » Sat May 12, 2007 4:56 pm

Speaking of Yui-sama, can we all agree that she is the coolest Anime mom ever, if not the coolest female anime character period?
Gone away

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Sat May 12, 2007 4:59 pm

n00dle wrote:Speaking of Yui-sama, can we all agree that she is the coolest Anime mom ever, if not the coolest female anime character period?

Yay to the first and nay to the second, which I would give to the incredible Revy.

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Sat May 12, 2007 5:03 pm

n00dle wrote:Speaking of Yui-sama, can we all agree that she is the coolest Anime mom ever, if not the coolest female anime character period?

Aaaa no.

She's a marry sue from what we see of her, but in her defence most of what we see of her is in the form of flash backs from people that have strong feelings for her.
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”