How did you first get into Evangelion?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Rinettoh
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Rinettoh » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:23 am

EVA was my first ever anime, it introduced me to the whole anime genre of animation :D

I was around 4/5/6 (cant remember) years old and I remember watching Evangelion on late night channel SBS with my mom and dad.

I remember that I loved the theme song and that I always sang along to it in nonsense Japanese (didn't sound a thing like the actual words) and the one scene I always remembered since I was little was when the dummy plug system was activated for unit 01 and it splattered unit 03 with Touji in it. I remember my mom covering my eyes at that part lol

Evangelion's still my favorite anime to this day :D

Orizon
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Orizon » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:09 am

I first saw Evangelion when I was watching some AMV's on youtube like five years ago. That AMV was just godlike :p it got me into metallica (the song was battery) and evangelion. I still thank my lucky stars every day for clicking on that video
I have no idea what I'm talking about

Ranaeil
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Ranaeil » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:29 am

My boyfriend was playing 3D Dot Game Heroes and there was an item(can't remember if it was a ring or something else) but in game, it mentioned something about an AT Field. My boyfriend chuckled and I asked him what that was, he explained and said that our friend had the original episodes of Eva. So I asked to borrow them.

The rest is history ;)
"No one can justify their existance by linking their happiest moments into a kind of rosary."

WhiteLight
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby WhiteLight » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:36 pm

I never used to watch anime when I was really young (like 8 or 9) besides the really mainstream stuff that came on tv here like Dragon Ball and One Piece, I just read manga all the time. As my anime interests expanded I had heard of eva but never bothered to watch it until the first rebuild movie came out and I liked it so much that I watched the whole series.

Practice
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Practice » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:12 pm

The only anime I had really seen was DBZ when I was a kid. My older brother has gotten into some anime lately, so this past Christmas break we watched the first two Rebuilds and I was instantly hooked.

Ordered the box set of the original series and marathoned it when it arrived, watched Death and Rebirth and the End of Evangelion two days later, then watched the 3.0 camrip the next day. Then I watched the first two Rebuilds again two more times each in the next few days.

Best piece of art I've ever experienced.

Agentomega
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Agentomega » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:53 pm

View Original PostPractice wrote:Ordered the box set of the original series and marathoned it when it arrived, watched Death and Rebirth and the End of Evangelion two days later, then watched the 3.0 camrip the next day.

You, sir, are doing it very right. Likewise, when I first got my hands on the box set (before Rebuild 1.0 was out), I also marathoned it.
Avatar: Rhoe Amariyo (© 2010-2014 SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. All Rights Reserved. FINAL FANTASY X|V)
Karigane Shirou in LoL's RP - Rebuild of Evangelion: We Are (Not) Together
"'I was a nerd before it was cool' ~Agent" ~Lance of LoL

Biodude16
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Biodude16 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:54 am

The first time I actually saw evangelion was back in 2006 I think, maybe earlier, whenever it was running on adult swim. I didn't know what I was watching, and I remember 3 scenes in particular, I think it was a marathon or something, maybe it was over the span of 2 days. Anyways, I remember seeing the all of the
SPOILER: Show
Rei clones being destroyed, Shinji on life support while fighting Leliel, and the last episode, then everyone started clapping.
I was so confused and at the time I was like 11 and this was on really late at night, really freaked out

About 2 weeks ago I started watching the series after being led to it from gurren lagaan, and I really loved it. Watched all of them over a span of 2/3 days. When I saw those scenes again it was almost nostalgic. I wound up watching the last 2 episodes from the series and end of evangelion at like 2/3 am in the morning, I was really burnt out and tripping over it, had no idea what was going on.

The next day after watching EoE I started on the rebuild series, which I thought was great, mainly 2.0. I am waiting for 3.0's english dub before I watch it, I'm just not a sub guy, sorry :P

Anyways, Re-watched EoE today, and my opinion changed on it- as it made more sense now watching it at a normal hour (well, at least more than it did originally), good stuff.

Fig
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Fig » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:12 am

My brother loved the show back in the late 90's/early 2000's, I was still pretty young but this at least let me know it existed at an early age.

Unfortunately, I didn't really start getting into it until 2.22 was about to be released in the US, I had always heard good things about Eva before so I decided to buy 1.11.

And wow, I was simply amazed.

Before I knew it I owned the whole series and started lurking on a certain forum *cough cough* to see stuff about new releases and to look at the interesting and thoughtful discussions.

Few years have past and I am now an Eva Geek, you might say. :mwahaha:

Oh, and something I wanted to put in here is that my copy of EoE is actually the one my brother bought way back in 02', I was so happy to find it and not have to spend some serious cash for one on Amazon!

BPES
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby BPES » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:55 pm

Hmm, well I've lnown about Evangelion for a long time now, but I never really watched it or even really considered it until my best friend convinced me to sit and watch the rebuilds with him... and then some of the directors cuts... and then sent me some AMVs...

Honestly I didn't like it at first... and then I started getting intrigued, and now I'm just looking to figure out more about the series as a whole. Fortunately that same friend has the whole series and is perfectly willing to let me watch it. Which is a solid plan until I get a job and can actually afford to buy stuff. :tongue:
In my experiance, there's only one thing harder than learning something new... and that is teaching it.

BEEP BEEP MUTHERF******

Live: charleserg7 Steam: aciescaelestis PSN: ChocoBP7

delispin25
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby delispin25 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:29 pm

I remember sitting in the theater with my friend, we went to see Drag me to Hell. During the static image pre-show an advertisement for RoE 1.11 was shown. My friend and I looked at each other and shrugged, he said we should rent it sometime. In 2011 I overheard someone mention Eva in class, I remembered that pre-show ad and bought 1.11 at HMV after school. I loved it, it spoke to me on levels no other show could, I wanted more. I bought 2.22 and I loved it as well. Then I watched the original series and I couldn't stop thinking about it. It helped me take my mind off of moving schools, leaving my friends and leaving my girlfriend. It also reminds me off my good friend whom I no longer see. I feel that as I grow Eva will always be with me.
"At least I get laid." - TDSA
"I LITERALLY CANT STOP BEATING WOMEN" - CJD

nervshatter
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby nervshatter » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:51 am

I got into eva when it aired on adult swim saw like the first 2 episodes then ultimately decided to watch the rest subbed but the actual first time I saw eva was when I was in middle school, I bought a VHS copy from a goodwill store which included ep.9 and I think ep.10 still have that copy today. also remember watching eva when it aired on toonami for some robot special thing albeit heavily censored.
*sigh* just kill me already.

Varan Bon Ziller
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Varan Bon Ziller » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:16 am

I've known about Evangelion for several years, but admittedly I didn't watch it. It wasn't until Pacific Rim started to catch my attention that I developed a desire to watch Evangelion. But why start with Eva? From what I knew Eva is a landmark in Anime, a controversial deconstruction, with an ever more controversial ending.

As of now, It's been several days since I finished up End of Evangelion. So you could say that I've only very recently become a fan.
"There are three things I have learned never to discuss with people: religion, politics, and the Great Pumpkin."

Jomei
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Jomei » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:30 pm

View Original PostVaran Bon Ziller wrote:As of now, It's been several days since I finished up End of Evangelion. So you could say that I've only very recently become a fan.

Dude, have you checked out the Rebuild movies yet? Ya really should.

Anyway, my story is straight-forward. I picked up the first DVD on the cheap, enjoyed it quite a bit and wanted to continue, so I ordered the Perfect Collection off eBay. I got it and, less than 24 hours later, had finished the series and was in an emotionally-bruised, introspective state (I like to call this phenomenon Eva-Mind). I quickly bought End of Evangelion and have been casually interested in the franchise ever since. I signed up here in 2005, posted a bit, but then was off to other interests.

About a year and a half ago, I reignited my love for Godzilla and kaiju and have been passionately involved in that community since. Recently I re-watched the Rebuild Films on a whim in a stream, and I got re-infected with Eva-Mind, so I've decided to incorporate my Eva love into my kaiju obsession. I think it fits rather nicely.

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:23 am

I became a fan of evangelion about 5-6 years ago when i borrowed my first evangelion volume(5) from our city's local library. Later i bought 1 to 11, then i watched EoE. (by that time i watched it, volumes 12 and 13 weren't available) I got mad by the EoE ending, so i quitted the series, until about a year ago i watched 2.0 and i bacame fan of evangelion again. Then i watched original series from TV, bought platinum edition, remaining evangelion manga volumes and raising project volumes, few figures and some other stuff and also 1.11 and 2.22, now im waiting for 3.33 DVD release. :D
Last edited by Giji Shinka on Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:22 pm

jesus, more finnfags.

I too got first introduced to Eva by manga (bought vols 1 & 2 when they came out), which makes it a bit funny how little I care for it these days

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:35 pm

@Xard :wink:

E_HOBA_666
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby E_HOBA_666 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:55 pm

I was somewhat sheltered in my anime experience (only really seeing Akira, GITS, Macross) when I came across NGE. I didn't know any of the back story and found Shinji extremely frustrating to watch at first, to the point that I was nearly turned off from the series, but made it through it all with only the minimum understanding of the story. Recently my friend has been on a big spirit-science kick and is always going on about theories about where life came from and what not. It reminded me about NGE so I started to read more about it. I think I've read every line of text on the wiki site now lol, it's just fascinating how deep the story is. I really have a new appreciation for it. Recently I watched the whole remastered series, Death, EoE, and Rebuild. The scene where the mass-production EVA's fight/destroy Unit-02 will forever be one of my favorite scenes in anime.
"your effort to remain the same is what limits you" -2501

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:46 am

A friend of mine who is an Eva fan recommended NGE and EoE to me. Naturally I didn't really get the anime at the time and gave up after watching the first episode and EoE (so i wound up observing the series from the beginning and the end simultaneously). Then it all slumbered in a deep, recessed part of my brain until I heard about Rebuild. I wasn't really watching anything at the time, so I watched Rebuild and became interested in the original TV series as well. So I got the Platinum DVD and started watching the entire TV series as well as the Rebuild films, and re-watching EoE a few dozen times.
Last edited by Shinoyami65 on Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

jimnjm
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby jimnjm » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:19 am

I originally heard of NGE in an e-book.. I got curious and asked around my friends till I stumbled upon the Rebuild..

From THAT point onwards, I was hooked.

NGE OSTs, games, movies, fan art.
It was all part of my daily life.

Currently watching the original series, after watching the Rebuild.

:D

P.S.: WAITING FOR EVA 3.0 ENGLISH SIB RELEASE! ANYONE THE SAME? :lol:

Asuka'S HOT BTW! :p

( her BOOBS are getting bigger for every rebuild ) ><
I'm a Rei Ayanami fan. :) Mari's second in my heart. My impression of Asuka varies with my mood.. ><

ACruelAngelsThesis
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ACruelAngelsThesis » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:44 am

A friend of mine two months ago, told me he was watching Eva. I heard of it, I knew it was about robots or something. He then said I should watch it, so I was in marathoner mood and I watched 1-24 and EOE in 24 hours. My mind was fucking blown. I loved it. I loved everything about Eva, it slowly became my favourite anime series of all time, and I watched Rebuilds and loved 2.22. One of my favourite movies. Now I have 2.22, Volume 2 on DVD and volume 3 of the manga. Love Eva.
I know...I know I've let you down...

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”