How did you first get into Evangelion?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Slayerso
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Slayerso » Fri May 25, 2012 10:54 pm

"Kamon-san

SPOILER: Show

Ironically, before getting into Eva, I heard it was really good. Everytime I went into this one room, a Pokemon comic book (or manga if you can really call it that) had that image of Asuka an the back. I would recognize Asuka and say something like "Sweet some Evangelion!" only to figure out it was pokemon[/quote]
Forgive me If I say something ignorant. I'm still a "noob" to eva. (And I'm horrible at analyzing personalities)

thegendopose
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby thegendopose » Wed May 30, 2012 3:30 pm

First got into anime in the early 90's and read a lot in anime magazines in the mid 90's about eva before its english release. When the english release came out I watched the dub on VHS(before I had a good old DVD player) I don't think they put the subbed versions out on UK VHS but i might be wrong. Anyhow I was hooked to the show from then on. I absolutely loved the fact the story was so intriguing and open to analysis, it truly felt like a more grown up mech anime with something to say rather than just 26 episodes of battle scenes.

fizz450_03
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby fizz450_03 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:21 am

how did i get into NGE?

hmm been watching anime since i was a kid, grew up in the later part of the 80's...

first heard of evangelion in 1998 (i know, i'm slow on things) and found a local video place that loaned the first 4 episodes in VHS =) borrowed those, thought it was crazy! but what i watched left me hung like a moose............

....finally landed myself a complete set of DVDs early 2000-ish at a local con, and started watching it. i've been hooked ever since.
only mankind would be foolish enough to harness the engine of it's own destruction

ianfreddie07
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ianfreddie07 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:30 pm

I first saw a few bits of NGE when I was around 4-5. A picture of Rei with her plugsuit bathing on LCL, maybe a few episode tidbits...

Then I saw them in Super Robot Wars games. It was only really now that I got curious enough to watch them. Now I'm hooked and waiting for Rebuild 3.0.

Asami Sato
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Asami Sato » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:29 am

It's quite silly, but the first time I ever knew about Eva was when I noted that my ex-boyfriend seemed to be spending a lot of cash on Internet purchases, manga and magazines. He wouldn't tell me what the deliveries were until I saw the pretty Asuka figure in his desk. Considering A:TLA was over, I needed something else to watch, so, one thing led to the other...
Avatar: Princess Azula, the sociopathic badass sexy bitch that will kill you by just glaring at your face.
When I get a boyfriend: "Together, we will be the strongest couple in the world! We will DOMINATE THE EARTH!"
"Zuzu! You don't look so good!"
"I support the shipping of TDSA and Aiko Heiwa." - Defectron

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:58 am

Re-posted from the 'Welcome' thread:
"I've been an Evangelion fan for almost 13 years now. I first saw the series when it aired initially on Australian television back in 1999. I think I was 10 at the time and it blew my mind. Ever since then, it has always been a part of me. Hope that doesn't sound weird, haha. I re-watch the series and the movie(s) at least once a year, sometimes more and just recently; I showed it to my GF and she's also become enamoured with it."

Hirdy
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Hirdy » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:46 am

Seen a few episodes on Cartoon network when i was 8 or 9 and its just stayed in the back of my head up until last year when i bought platnium and the the two rebuilds, compelety hooked and it pretty much runs my life and a day to day basis atm.
Nothin important here, keep scrollin

Sahara
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Sahara » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:32 pm

I had heard a lot about Eva and during the summer before high school, I decided to give it a shot. I proceeded to watch the entire series and EoE (Which was a sobering experience for my thirteen year old mind) and it really got me thinking. I was hooked. :ting:

When rebuild came to a local art theater in my state, I was bouncing off the walls with excitement, and proceeded to drag eight people with me to go and see it. It only reinforced the obsession.
"And if you don't live, you have nothing to write about." -Maynard James Keenan

shiun
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby shiun » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:13 am

My first encounter with Eva was when I was in the second grade, and a local TV show was showing an episode where Shogouki got skinned. That was the earliest time I remember being thoroughly scared and disturbed so I turned the TV off.

Fast forward to around college time. I've been reading up a lot about Eva and since it's right up my alley (I do love a good mindbleeping anime -- Lain and Monster, anyone?), I decided to catch up on it. Never looked back since.
I'm a floatplane.

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:16 am

View Original PostSahara wrote:When rebuild came to a local art theater in my state, I was bouncing off the walls with excitement, and proceeded to drag eight people with me to go and see it. It only reinforced the obsession.

View Original Postshiun wrote:Fast forward to around college time. I've been reading up a lot about Eva and since it's right up my alley (I do love a good mindbleeping anime -- Lain and Monster, anyone?), I decided to catch up on it. Never looked back since.

I have a feeling both of you are going to fit in just fine! :yui_grin:
Voluntary Illusion.

Knuckles
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Knuckles » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:28 pm

I recently got my girlfriend into anime. I wanted to watch Eva with her, but I don't think watching Eva as your first anime series is a good idea :lol: so I started off by showing her Cowboy Bebop (clearly the best gateway anime of all time, mirite?) and since then I think she's watched more anime than I have xD (netflix and shit).

so we just watched the series + End of Eva, with me explaining key details along the way to make it much more understandable (without spoiling key plot points). To my surprise she got most of the series on the first playthrough, which was nice. We discussed the ending of the series (EoE) and she was happy with it, saying how it wasn't the happy ending most people would've wanted, but it was the most logical end and very fitting. She appreciated how Shinji's first reaction was to strangle Asuka (I can't remember her reasoning at the moment).

She then quoted an Asuka line, and given her red hair she actually looked like Asuka for a sec. Naturally, I jumped on her and started strangling her.*

:: a little tidbit of psychoanalysis for all you psych-heads: when we were laying down afterwards messing around (yes, we fooled around after that ^ and watching EoE, don't judge us ;o...), she was smiling weirdly so I asked her what it was. She said she was thinking of a time when we were having sex and I told her I needed her (pfft, I dont remember that, she must be making it up... :whistle: ). I asked her what made her think of that all of a sudden, and she didn't know. I reasoned that perhaps the subtitle of the last scene in EoE, One More Final: I Need You, made her subconsciously think of it, to which she agreed.

It's interesting seeing how Eva affects people in different ways. :)

*I've always hated Asuka ;p
"It doesn't matter. This is all I need.."
"Rei is genetically his mom, socially his friend/coworker/classmate, legally his sister, spiritually the progenitor of the entire 'normal' biosphere, physically a mass of matter that ought not be, and technically (depending on which Rei we're talking about) also some form of the risen dead.

...and I still like Shinji/Rei."

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Justacrazyguy » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:06 pm

My brother showed me the opening and I thought. "Looks Interesting". 2 days later I watched the first 6 episodes. I stayed forever hooked :)
Nearly all teenage boys are dumbfucks-Xard

É altura de se tornarem pessoas interessantes.- My Classic Culture Teacher

MYANIMELIST-http://myanimelist.net/profile/Justacrazyguy

Dragoneye
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Dragoneye » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:15 am

How do I get into Eva? Kind of a boring story but here it goes:

As a kid, I remember seeing the movie End of Eva in Blockbuster. Having been raised on Disney cartoons, I was really intrigued by the art on the cover and thought it looked really cool. However, my mom didn’t think it look appropriate for kids so we rented something else.

Later in high school I met a friend who was really into anime and we watched Death Note and stuff like that together. We both tend to like series with a darker element to them and we had heard Eva was a classic so we got the Rebuild movies from the library (yeah, I was surprised too—there must be an Eva fan amongst the librarians where I live!) My reaction was meh toward them. I thought they were kind of cute and I liked the action but I didn’t see what all the hype was about. However, they were interesting enough that we got the original series (also from the library!) Sad to say, my friend hated it and thought it was awful. However, I am a psychology major so by the last half I was really excited. So much to analyze! I really think the original is best even if it doesn’t have Rei looking cute as she sips her miso soup. Anyways, when my request for the End of Eva finally came in, I was super excited because I recognized the cover from that movie I wanted to see years ago. I guess that’s one of the benefits of getting older—you can finally watch good cartoons :D

Love Not Given Lightly
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Love Not Given Lightly » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:17 pm

ThatDudeInTheSuede's top anime openings. It was of course number 1, and that was the first I had ever heard of it.
There are no stupid ideas, only stupid executions.

Mori-kun
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Mori-kun » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:45 pm

Plat Dubs,
Animax,
Ni nen bai.
Only animu I wasn't eventually disgusted/estranged by (poor variety, mind you).
Only recently have I returned to watching it.
[size=59]"Die Dood staan voor die deur

Eliaskar
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Eliaskar » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:43 pm

It was one of the first things that got me into Anime. My friend is a massive, massive Evangelion fan, to the point of having a wall scroll and model of Eva Unit 02.

I wasn't very fond of anime at the time and he tried showing me Rebuild to try and get me into it. I was incredibly confused and yet still didn't have any interest in what was happening at all for some reason.

Eventually, my friend showed me other anime and I slowly got more and more into watching a variety of different things. During this process I eventually went back and started watching NGE (either by my own accord or because of my friend I can't remember) and enjoyed it a lot and was quite mind-fucked by it, but wasn't quite crazy about it yet.

After mulling over it and watching other anime I came back to it and searched for more information about it and searched for answers. I then became hooked as I understood it more and then became a massive fan.

So thats it I guess. Heh.

aboose
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby aboose » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:07 pm

Not very climactic or anything, but I wanted to see the Rebuild movies and someone told me to watch the original series first, and so I did, and fell in love (but not before hating it and discovering this site).

Der Kommissar
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Der Kommissar » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:30 pm

I had a friend in early high school mention it to me. I regularly mocked the idea of giant robots with power cables to razz on him until I watched it and was forced to eat some humble pie.

gammerboy1999
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby gammerboy1999 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:49 am

the first time i saw Rei was when i got into evangelion

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:52 pm

View Original Postgammerboy1999 wrote:the first time i saw Rei was when i got into evangelion

Spoken like a real man

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”