How did you first get into Evangelion?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Apjak
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Apjak » Wed May 05, 2010 12:31 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:I like this chic. VHS rocks for some reason. The colors are truer to life/more vibrant on VHS tape than on DVD. That, and they just make me feel like a kid again. :boingy:

Are you just saying that because you didn't like seeing Eva switched to the digital color palate in Platinum? For that reason I hold on to my old DVD collection of the series. I only have a few tapes left though. On the Dune forum I spend way more time on, there was recently a resurgence of love for good ole VHS. I generally consider DVD a way better medium, but some very valid points were raised in defense of VHS, not color vibrancy though.

Number 44
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Number 44 » Wed May 05, 2010 6:01 pm

Depends, I actually heard of Eva far before I knew what it was...

Part 1

I read a post of someone's extremely garbled interpretation of instrumentality. They described it something like, Shinji having to choose between being with a clone of his dead mother, or the other girl he could never be with.

Though confused by this, it didn't make me seek out the show he was talking about for obvious reasons.

End of Part 1
No matter how many times you watch your copy of End of Evangelion, the ending is not going to change.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed May 05, 2010 11:42 pm

View Original PostApjak wrote:Are you just saying that because you didn't like seeing Eva switched to the digital color palate in Platinum? For that reason I hold on to my old DVD collection of the series. I only have a few tapes left though. On the Dune forum I spend way more time on, there was recently a resurgence of love for good ole VHS. I generally consider DVD a way better medium, but some very valid points were raised in defense of VHS, not color vibrancy though.

Were parts of Platinum digitally shaded? Noirmally I can tell, and they looked like hand-painted cels with digital enhancements. But not full blow, painted in Photoshop (or whatever program) digital shading.

But, no. That's not the reason It's true, I prefer traditional hand-painted cels over digital shading. For some odd reason it's easier for digital shading to look cheap, although I can't put my finger on as to why. (Maybe it's just too widely available and therefore overused on Deviant Art as a method to bypass learning how to paint.) But when done well, digital shading has the potential to be more impressive than traditional paints. My other favorite anime of all time, Gunslinger Girl season 1, is also completely digitally shaded. And Evangelion 1.11 used it's digital pallet very well with it's climatic battle scene. Of course a lot of that incormerated 3-D effects as well as digital shading.

The color vibrancy in VHS is just part of the bigger picture as to why some aspects of VHS are "better" than DVD. But overall, DVDs are the better technology. The picture is clearer, and the sound is better, and you get menus and features, and it's an easier technology to mass produce. That, and the image quality doesn't fade or get messed up over repeat viewings.

I guess I just like the nostalgic feeling of a clunky VHS tape. And no, I don't have NGE on VHS tape.

The Triforce Fighter
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby The Triforce Fighter » Thu May 06, 2010 5:46 pm

I learnt about it after searching for phycological anime on Anime Freak as I just had my brains turned to mush by Negima X D Great anime but after that I was totally ready for something thought provoking apposed to wizards who are 10 years old who are apparently Welsh but never seems to have a Welsh accent at all and is rubbish at english for an English teacher = P
Actually come to think of it I think I read the manga online first then watched the anime as I couldn't find an ending for it.

flapjack
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby flapjack » Tue May 11, 2010 12:31 am

I watched it on Adult Swim when they first aired it, it was replacing s-Cry-ed which i was really into and at first i didn't think Eva was filling the slot that well. I didn't watch the series as it played on Saturday adult swim sessions, but it began to air on Thursdays, so i had to sneak around a bit to watch because watching meant staying up late on a school night. I didn't care for it much until episode 25, which confused the shit out of me, so i became super curious and took to the internet. This was all in 2004 or something like that, so by the time i really got into it, all the hub bub and forum liveliness had died so i was sad. I just committed myself from then on to reading everything that had already been discussed, which can really suck btw.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue May 11, 2010 11:38 am

View Original Postflapjack wrote:I just committed myself from then on to reading everything that had already been discussed

My sympathies.

Killer Bee
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

What was I talking about again?

•      
  •      

Postby Killer Bee » Mon May 17, 2010 8:12 pm

In 2004, I discovered an anime-on-demand channel on TV that updated with new episodes every week. Evangelion was one of the more interesting shows on there and the only one I watched regularly for six months, every week.

Unfortunately, they skipped right over the episode 23 update and went straight to 24. So I bought the Platinum thinpack, which was conveniently released soon after, so I could see episode 23 before the rest.

No, it did not occur to me to simply watch it on Youtube. Did Youtube exist back then? I don't remember. What was I talking about again? Oh, right.

Shinji doesn't love Kaworu like that! It's an existential thing! GAWD!

TheSophist
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby TheSophist » Tue May 18, 2010 12:38 am

It was on the sci fi channel at 5 am here in the uk, I got up early in the morning before high school to wacth it.

It was great, the only other anime I saw was dragon ball z and tenchi I think on telly. But this was the first anime I really got attatched to.

my parents where asking why I kept getting up so early lol

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Re: What was I talking about again?

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue May 18, 2010 12:49 am

View Original PostKiller Bee wrote:Shinji doesn't love Kaworu like that! It's an existential thing! GAWD!
Just you keep thinking that way.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Legendary
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Legendary » Tue May 18, 2010 12:56 am

Because an unused set of scripts PROVES character motivations in the finished product.

Killer Bee
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Re: What was I talking about again?

•      
  •      

Postby Killer Bee » Wed May 19, 2010 6:18 pm

SJCrew
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby SJCrew » Thu May 20, 2010 8:01 pm

It all began and ended with Adult Swim. I think I watched it when I was 14 or so, back in high school when I was going through some really tough shit with school and family. Needless to say, Evangelion and I clicked like best buds.

I only saw the series through full and proper once. Now that I've found an anime site where I can download pretty much anything I want at no cost, I'm working on a second viewing to see if I can understand it better or missed anything important the first time through.

But it's a real testament to the quality of this series that I only had to watch it once to proclaim its an absolute masterpiece and no anime I've seen since has come close to gripping me and pulling me in the way this one did.

broham513
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby broham513 » Tue May 25, 2010 10:34 am

My little brother and I would watch a new episode each week as they came on to the Anime On Demand service Time Warner offered. It started out like "Oh man! What kinda angel will they fight next?!" but in its later episodes it impacted me emotionally unlike anything before. I watched the last two episodes on my own and was utterly moved. Nothing has left a greater impression on me more than this one series alone.
ummmm butts.

Number 44
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Number 44 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:47 pm

Part 2

I was reading a top 25 anime series list in some magazine in the local book store. FLCL was in the top five. FLCL was described as "The weirdest anime Gainex has ever done, and that's saying a lot considering that this is the studio that did Neon Genesis Evangelion."

Being a HUGE FLCL fan, I put NGE on reserve the same day.

End of Part 2
No matter how many times you watch your copy of End of Evangelion, the ending is not going to change.

bladerj
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby bladerj » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:04 am

I was browsing midnight at the cartoons channels, and stoped at this amusing anime in a extinct anime channel.
I looked for the name to check it on another day after Eva, there was cowboy bebop that hooked me too.
And I got up late for school, every since, becouse they only aired NGE one of clock in the morning, due to the content. LOL
ANATA BAKA !?

Flyvapnet
Embryo

It was a dark and stormy night....

•      
  •      

Postby Flyvapnet » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:50 am

I'd just finished screening Hiroki Hayashi's seven-episode original video animation series El-Hazard: The Magnificent World (Tokyo: Anime International Company Inc., 1995-96) and whilst Web surfing for images of Ifurita I happened upon information regarding Neon Genesis Evangelion. "Who's this 'Asuka' gal and how do I get her telephone number?" I asked myself facetiously, madly Web surfing for directions to the Fountain of Youth....

:asuka_thumbsup:

=^..^=
[center]Beauty is the purgation of superfluities.
Michelangelo di Lodovico Buonarroti Simoni (1475-1564)[/center]

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Re: It was a dark and stormy night....

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:31 pm

View Original PostFlyvapnet wrote:"Who's this 'Asuka' gal and how do I get her telephone number?"

Have you tried Facebook? :shinji_blush:

Flyvapnet
Embryo

Hmm....

•      
  •      

Postby Flyvapnet » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:12 pm

LOL @ FreakyFilmFan4ever! I'll go see what I can find out.

:asuka_stare:

=^..^=
[center]Beauty is the purgation of superfluities.
Michelangelo di Lodovico Buonarroti Simoni (1475-1564)[/center]

Raiden
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Raiden » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:42 am

To say it honestly, I just liked Rei ... :fuyu_facepalm:
Agnus Dei, qui tollis peccata mundi, miserere nobis!

shinji_ryoji_89
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby shinji_ryoji_89 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:08 pm

I think the first time I heard of Evangelion was when I was like 10 years old r so and I was watching this debate show on TV where they were talking about satanism and how it was influencing children. And it was brought up that anime was satanic, and as an example they brought up a magazine that said "Evangelion: Humanity against its God". From that moment on, I was hooked, I thought that was a very cool premise. It really made me guess if humanity or God were the villains or the heroes and since then, I really wanted to see it, but I wasn't an expert on where anime could be found and I was too lazy to go look for it.

Then about a year or months later, I don't quite remember, I bought "Royal Space Force: The Wings of Honneamise" that got my attention because I thought the story was very cool and I liked it quite a bit, and I realized that it was made by the same studio that had made Evangelion and decided that then I should really look for it.

Time went by and I was in High School and I saw some friends watching an episode on a laptop and I thought it looked pretty cool, and I was reminded of how much I wanted to see it, but again, I didn't pursue it.

Later, my math tutor would hum "Kom, Susser Tod" to himself while I was working on the exercises he had assigned me and I asked him where it was from and he told me and he pretty much said it was a scene where everybody died and the world ended. And I've always been into apocalyptic kind of stuff, so that made me go "Cool! Now, I must really watch this show!".

Again, time went by and I didn't watch the show until, finally, in like january, a friend of mine lent me the first 13 episodes or so on DVD and I was sick, so I spent two days in bed, with my laptop on my chest, watching them and I had liked it quite a bit. But I was thinking that the character dramas and relationships than the whole robot aspect of it. I had liked it a lot, but I was feeling a little underwhelmed by it but I did want to know what would happen next.

Months later, my brother began to watch it and I would glimpse at the screen and was getting an idea about how the story and the characters had evolved and I really wanted to see how it ended. So, in two days, I watched the rest of the series and I loved it and wanted to see EoE. When I did, it affected me to such a degree that I had to pause the film and exit the room during the "Kom, Susser Tod" scene. It just was absolutely heartbreaking to see all of the characters die, and the rest of the world, I just thought it was absolutely hopeless and I was so angry at Shinji for the attitude he had taken and so angry at Asuka and Gendo for how they had treated Shinji. I kept thinking "Man, if one of them had been nice to him, maybe he wouldn't have ended the world as he is doing". It really affected me and I just had to leave the room for a while. I took deep breaths and after a long while, decided to see the rest. The ending left me relieved but also very bewildered at the same time and I knew I had seen something truly special. Since then, I'm eating up anything I can about Evangelion; it really made me look deeply into myself as a person because I really identified with Shinji when I was his age, it has made ask myself questions about my beliefs, psychology and overall, somehow, it has increased my faith in people. It made me realize I'd hate to be like Shinji and close myself to the world like he did, because that's something I keep falling back into in my life. Also, as a filmmaker, it has made me want to do something as great as Evangelion someday. I'm not sure if I could, but the inspiration is now there.

Now, I'm really looking forward to watching Rebuild and really hope someone gets the idea to release it in theaters here, because I would love to experience Evangelion on the big-screen.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”