Favorite/Least favorite charas & why

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:42 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Shinji.

Why? Because very bit of analysis of the show revolves around him, and it overshadows everything else that the show has to offer.

Best reason ever :lol:.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Madonna
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Madonna » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:42 pm

Ritsuko is one of my favorite characters (second to Misato) and I don't understand why many seem to dislike her, at least judging from some of the responses from this thread. She's a complex character and obviously has some deep rooted character flaws but to me that's why she's so complex. She's supposed to represent someone who is in control, intelligent, safe, conservative but the unraveling of her character is one of the more interesting parts of the anime, in my opinion.

MoroNoKimi
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby MoroNoKimi » Thu May 02, 2013 1:42 am

Damn this one's pretty tough. Evangelion is a series which actually does not contain any characters I despise...that's a pretty impressive feat. So many other series where you could ask me this question and I would immediately say OH, WELL THERE'S THIS BITCH/ASSHOLE.

I'm sticking just to original series and Rebuild because as far as I'm concerned the spinoffs don't exist.

I'm not especially fond of Rei, to be perfectly honest. Although that doesn't mean I think she's pointless or not a good character, just to clarify. But I just don't like her or find her very interesting in and of herself. I suppose her pioneered archetype just isn't for me.

Also, I must concede that the very first time I watched the original series I hated Asuka. I was frustrated with everything she did and upset at her treatment of Shinji.
I realized gradually that this was because some of her shitty behavior was a reflection of things I had trouble with myself. And then I felt guilty for hating her. And then I felt AWFUL as I watched her completely break.

And then I felt incredibly sympathetic towards her and couldn't imagine disliking her now.

MinaseTaki
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby MinaseTaki » Thu May 02, 2013 2:58 am

I'm tempted to say Mari, because I can't really find any reason to care about her, other than, you know, her uniform and glasses are hot as hell...and they are, so I guess I do care a little.

Honestly, the Nerv operators. I don't find them to have a particularly appealing design, nor do they have any depth. Well, actually, in the third rebuild movie, Maya says that she hates young men or something, which would suggest that something happened during the timeskip which made her feel that way. I'm probably overthinking this.
I am a signature.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Thu May 02, 2013 10:35 am

View Original PostMinaseTaki wrote:I'm tempted to say Mari, because I can't really find any reason to care about her, other than, you know, her uniform and glasses are hot as hell...and they are, so I guess I do care a little.

If only for the boobs, right? :lol:

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Fri May 03, 2013 5:19 pm

Kaworu, the original version, although I realised that the Shinji x Kaworu relationship possibility is here to stay. I liked him better in Rebuild, don't have a least favorite for that iteration yet.
Go with God, and Fight Like the Devil 1356
Curator of: Evangelion Virtual MuseumCold SteelMFC
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Fri May 03, 2013 10:26 pm

Ritsuko. She's rather cruel even for Nerv standards.

Xiel
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Xiel » Sun May 12, 2013 12:16 pm

I don't hate any Evangelion character, but I did get angry at Gendo in Rebuild for a number of reasons.

For a long time, I was indifferent to Kaji (but I loved his relationship with Misato and Ritsuko) until his manga version became my favorite character (in that version).

delispin25
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby delispin25 » Tue May 21, 2013 7:31 pm

Does it have to be canon, because if it doesn't, I'm picking Mana Kirishima. I really hated her while I played GOS, in fact the whole game was awful.
"At least I get laid." - TDSA
"I LITERALLY CANT STOP BEATING WOMEN" - CJD

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Tue May 21, 2013 7:45 pm

View Original Postdelispin25 wrote:I really hated her while I played GOS, in fact the whole game was awful.

You're just jealous because:
SPOILER: Show
this dude won her heart in the end :devil:
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

SimplyMason0
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby SimplyMason0 » Tue May 21, 2013 7:55 pm

Mana seems interesting, maybe if Anno took a jab at it.

She was really open to Shinji more that a girl should. If she was in the anime, things would have been a lot more dramatic, especially with Asuka.

I only seen some of the playthough but couldn't grasp fully of the context since it wasn't translated. I think her story involves her being a child solder for the Japanese and being a spy but I can't say 100% for sure.

Dovah
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Dovah » Tue May 21, 2013 7:57 pm

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:You're just jealous because:
SPOILER: Show
this dude won her heart in the end :devil:

That dude looks like Nadia.

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Tue May 21, 2013 8:14 pm

View Original PostSimplyMason0 wrote:I only seen some of the playthough but couldn't grasp fully of the context since it wasn't translated. I think her story involves her being a child solder for the Japanese and being a spy but I can't say 100% for sure.

Uh? Girlfriend of Steel has been translated ages ago, it's the only Evangelion game completely translated in English.
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

SimplyMason0
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby SimplyMason0 » Tue May 21, 2013 8:23 pm

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:Uh? Girlfriend of Steel has been translated ages ago, it's the only Evangelion game completely translated in English.

The one I watched wasn't translated

I wasn't implying it wasn't in general

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Tue May 21, 2013 10:14 pm

I hate Asuka. I don't know why, and I have to admit that watching her fight the MP Evas in EoE was pretty awesome/tragic, but she always seemed like a bit of a bitch to me because of the way she often belittles or insults Shinji or tries to act superior to him and Rei (the fact that I'm a Rei fan probably bleeds into this a little). Her inability to tell him straight out that she likes him also mystifies me, since she should have realised fairly on that he isn't catching a single one of her subtle hints.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Tue May 21, 2013 10:18 pm

What an odd feeling of deja-vu...

LeoXiao
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby LeoXiao » Tue May 21, 2013 11:15 pm

View Original PostMadonna wrote:Ritsuko is one of my favorite characters (second to Misato) and I don't understand why many seem to dislike her, at least judging from some of the responses from this thread. She's a complex character and obviously has some deep rooted character flaws but to me that's why she's so complex. She's supposed to represent someone who is in control, intelligent, safe, conservative but the unraveling of her character is one of the more interesting parts of the anime, in my opinion.

I don't dislike Ritsuko as much as her mother.

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Wed May 22, 2013 7:29 am

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:I hate Asuka. I don't know why, and I have to admit that watching her fight the MP Evas in EoE was pretty awesome/tragic, but she always seemed like a bit of a bitch to me because of the way she often belittles or insults Shinji or tries to act superior to him and Rei (the fact that I'm a Rei fan probably bleeds into this a little). Her inability to tell him straight out that she likes him also mystifies me, since she should have realised fairly on that he isn't catching a single one of her subtle hints.

Oh no, you've opened the box now, prepare for an angry swarm of Asukafags to descend upon the thread like a flock of vast, predatory birds...
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed May 22, 2013 7:34 am

View Original PostSquigsquasher wrote:Oh no, you've opened the box now, prepare for an angry swarm of Asukafags to descend upon the thread like a flock of vast, predatory birds...

I love the fact that, every time someone says this, said flock of Asukafags never seems to show up.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Wed May 22, 2013 7:36 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:I love the fact that, every time someone says this, said flock of Asukafags never seems to show up.

Exactly. A defense measure, you see; by preparing for the invasion of fanboys, you guarantee that said fanboys will never show up.

Just as planned!
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”