Favorite/Least favorite charas & why

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Final Messenger
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Final Messenger » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:14 pm

My favourite characters are Asuka and Shinji tied for first with Kaworu in a close second place
Avatar:super high school level ???? Kyouko Kirigiri
"Before Pimptimus turned the Jupitris into his brothel it was giant helium carrier"- Fireball
"to solve a mystery sometimes you have to take risks. Isn't that right?"- Kyouko Kirigiri
more people should read Dangan Ronpa

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:47 pm

my favorite used to be Gendo but know it's Asuka, even after watching EoE mind you.
:asuka_sad:
Current avatar: Shotoku in winter
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be Manners." ~ George Carlin
Wilt Chamberlain answers the infamous question.

ReiAyanami25
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby ReiAyanami25 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:38 am

Rei. we have many similarities, and our personalties are very similar. without Rei, I have almost no-one I can relate to, as I only have one true friend, and most of the time she chooses to ditch me so I am completely alone. most of the time, I am satisfied with being alone, silent,and almost emotionless, but sometimes it can really get to me. I often struggle to understand my self and my feelings.... so yes, in short I am very confused. and my haircut is almost the same as Rei's.
生は、死の始まり。そして再生は、夢の終わり。
"I write only because there is a voice within me that will not be still." - SP

Rei Ayanami's beauty comes from the truth that she has feelings...the struggle to draw your feelings forth, the reconciliation between your surface and your death - that, I believe, is where we truly become alive, truly become human beings." -Hayashibara Megumi

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby KingXanaduu » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:32 am

For me, it's especially hard to choose favorites between the three children, because they have so many qualities that appeal to us and make us want to comfort them through all the pain they've all had to endure. If I had to choose favorites though, I would have to say that I like Asuka for her fiery nature and strength, but also because her crippling vulnerability makes me want to comfort her if she was real (she'd probably deck me though :toothy: ) ; Shinji comes in second, because he's a lot like me in my insecurities (though I am a little more outgoing than him); and Rei does come in third because of her mysterious nature, she somehow compels me to want to learn more about her, to understand her way of thinking.

Completely off topic though: To ReiAyanami25, would you like to have another friend? I'll be your friend if you'd like. :)
"You're na�ve, Cecil. Even knowing betrayal and despair, you would depend on the whims of others?" - Golbez
---------------------------------------
Sephiroth: "Do you miss the Light?"
Golbez: "Hmph...I merely have duties to fulfill."
Sephiroth: "Too close to the brightness, and you may get scorched."
Golbz:.............
Golbez: Your loss can strengthen you.

"NGE Shinji is broken, Manga Shinji is an asshole, Rebuild Shinji is an idiot. Which is best? Uh, can I get some other options? All of these really suck." -Bagheera

ipwnuall
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ipwnuall » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:07 pm

Asuka because we share almost the same personalities and I have began to say "ARE YOU STOOPID" subconsciously. Also deep down inside we both have terrible anger and problems that be need serious closure.
"The potential that human beings have for recognizing each other's humanity and responding to it, with empathy rather than antipathy."
- Roger Waters on "Echoes"

khaos14
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby khaos14 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:21 pm

Shinji is my favorite. Strange considering that I usually don't like the star, but Shinji is so different from the typical “Lets go beat all the bad guy with the power of determination.” type of star. Instead Shinji has real issues, from trying to deal with the fact that he has to save the world, to problems trying understand the point of his own existence in the midst of all the craziness. Shinji is relatable for me, and I think for lot of people, in that he does not represent any idealized knight in shining armor, but just a kid, who is scared, and feels like he's alone.

Well that's my two cents, for what it's worth. Which would be two cents if you think about it.
"With wonderful deathless ditties,
We build up the world's great cities."-Arthur O'Shaughnessy

Aiko Heiwa
Salt 'n' Genki
Salt 'n' Genki

•      
  •      

Postby Aiko Heiwa » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:23 pm

I like Shinji and Rei the most, because I can relate to them and how they feel.

I also like Mari because we both wear glasses.

therefore i will mari her
This signature officially sponsored by The Holy Church of Aiko Heiwa® since 2 December 2011

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:26 pm

I wear glasses.
Mari wears glasses.
Therefore, I am Mari.

I have blue eyes.
Asuka has blue eyes.
Therefore, I am Asuka.

I have brown hair.
Shinji has brown hair.
Therefore, I am Shinji.

I am very pale.
Rei is very pale.
Therefore, I am Rei.

And so on and so forth.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

Aiko Heiwa
Salt 'n' Genki
Salt 'n' Genki

•      
  •      

Postby Aiko Heiwa » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:44 pm

View Original PostStryker wrote:I wear glasses.
Mari wears glasses.
Therefore, I am Mari.

I have blue eyes.
Asuka has blue eyes.
Therefore, I am Asuka.

I have brown hair.
Shinji has brown hair.
Therefore, I am Shinji.

I am very pale.
Rei is very pale.
Therefore, I am Rei.

And so on and so forth.

I do the Gendo Pose.
Gendo does the Gendo Pose.
Therefore, I am Gendo.

I put my soul in EVA-Unit 01.
Yui put her soul in EVA-Unit 01.
Therefore, I am Yui.

:P
This signature officially sponsored by The Holy Church of Aiko Heiwa® since 2 December 2011

ReiAyanami25
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby ReiAyanami25 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:23 am

I have my fair share of dislikes for characters. just before I begin, I dislike using hate, it is my least favorite word.

SPOILER: Show
Disliked no. 1: Ritsuko. I find her to be ingredibly selfish, espesially in the later episodes and EoE. and in the manga, she tries to strangle Rei. like mother, like daughter I suppose.

Disliked no. 2: Dr. Akagi. she is a BITCH. (excuse my language) she strangles Rei 1, just because she thinks that Gendo is using her. so what? get over it. It is not Rei's fault.

Disliked no. 3: Gendo, at times. I think that Gendo is also quite selfish,because he uses Rei to reunite himself with Yui. I also dislike him because he gives Shinji, his own son, the silent treatment most of the time.

Disliked no. 4: Asuka, sometimes. She can be a such a bitch towards Shinji and Rei, although I don't really blame her after all that she has been though.

That is my list. these are my opinions. feel free to debate them.
生は、死の始まり。そして再生は、夢の終わり。
"I write only because there is a voice within me that will not be still." - SP

Rei Ayanami's beauty comes from the truth that she has feelings...the struggle to draw your feelings forth, the reconciliation between your surface and your death - that, I believe, is where we truly become alive, truly become human beings." -Hayashibara Megumi

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation

•      
  •      

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:10 am

I don't like Kensuke. He's such a little wiener.

zimlord wrote:i just imagined ritsuko's head on David Hasselhoff's body.

I'd hit it.
"Now, from Nature we obtain abundant information about ourselves, and precious little about others. About the woman you clasp in your arms, can you say with certainty that she does not feign pleasure? About the woman you mistreat, are you quite sure that from abuse she does not derive some obscure and lascivious satisfaction? Let us confine ourselves to simple evidence: through thoughtfulness, gentleness, concern for the feelings of others we saddle our own pleasure with restrictions, and make this sacrifice to obtain a doubtful result." -The Divine Marquis

"I agree Hans, but we have talked about those anal fisting analogies." -Werner Herzog

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

And that password was a f*cking cop out. Bl

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:44 am

Jet Alone, it's fugly and has nuclear arms.

Conversely, EVA-04 was the most disappointing character, so much promise, yet we don't even get a glimpse of it, just a WTFB.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:37 am

From a personal perspective: Ritsuko. Purely unlikable in my opinion.

From a narrative perspective: Either Toji or Kensuke. I think they were too different compared to most characters. I know why they did it, they had to have some normalcy as a base for comparison, but when every character is relatively screwed up, and then we have these two well adjusted normal kids, it just doesn't feel right.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:05 am

View Original Postdarkness713 wrote:After watching the whole series, and the movies, I found it hard to hate any particular character, after understanding why they act the way they do.

This. If I had to pick one . . . jeez, I dunno. Probably Kiel, but he's not really a character in any meaningful sense so I guess he doesn't count. If we're sticking to the main cast probably Gendo or Ritsuko. I can handle epic fail in the kids because they're kids, but adults should know better (particularly when they're that smart and have literally years to consider the ramifications of their actions). I maybe give Gendo a pass if he was legitimately trying to shortcut SEELE's plans for the good of humanity (i.e. Tines' take on Gendo's plan, wherein he and Yui are re-united in Unit 01 and the rest of humanity doesn't go tang), but I think that might be giving him too much credit.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:15 am

View Original PostCJD wrote:From a narrative perspective: Either Toji or Kensuke. I think they were too different compared to most characters. I know why they did it, they had to have some normalcy as a base for comparison, but when every character is relatively screwed up, and then we have these two well adjusted normal kids, it just doesn't feel right.

Hikari does not count as well adjusted normal kid?
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Touji, can you FEEL her, inside of you? BO

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:31 am

View Original Postsymbv wrote:Hikari does not count as well adjusted normal kid?

She likes Touji and is friends with Asuka. This requires one to be daft in the head to be sure (I'm rather certain she intentionally slipped a bit of her hair in the food she was going to give Touji).
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:52 pm

View Original Postsymbv wrote:Hikari does not count as well adjusted normal kid?

As I recall, Hikari is given much less screentime, so she doesn't bother me as much. Also she's not as obnoxious as the other two, she does a good job of just "being" there.

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:21 pm

Kaworu.

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:39 pm

Does anyone really like Ritsuko?
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:42 pm

View Original Postgatotsu911 wrote:Does anyone really like Ritsuko?

I'm pretty sure it's Mr. Tines Waifu. At least, it was suggested in the Hikari thread.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”