Favorite/Least favorite charas & why

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

asukafan11
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby asukafan11 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:55 pm

my least favorite character is ritsuko. she does the guy her mom does, and that would be really weird. she allows herself to be manipulated. she pisses me off.
"See, your problem is since your cute, no one tells you to shut up."
"You think i'm cute?"
"SHUT UP!"

dr.house
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby dr.house » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:23 pm

Keel. I hope all of you can understand how a person who wants to destroy the world would have a bad rap with me.
Tritter: You're rude.
House: Wow... you're like a detective or something.

Eternally Lost Zeppo
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Eternally Lost Zeppo » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:17 pm

In first place, Gendo Ikari, for being an absent father to Shinji, even when they're in the same frakking room!

Asuka, second place. There is no 'I in team', so she should get off her high horse already. She's supposed to be fighting a war damn it, not playing some kind of game!

That second point goes double for Kensuke Aida, who gains third place! :angry!!:
"There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."

"I'm telling you, Teal'c, if we don't find a way out of this soon I'm gonna lose it. Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!"

Annihilationscape
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Annihilationscape » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:53 pm

The more I think about it, I don't know if there are any characters I really dislike... there are those I'm indifferent towards though.

Let's see, Rei I was just... unsettling to me. Each time I see that flashback episode, I realize I am not looking forward to seeing her again. It's her expressions, her attitudes, the things she says, and that horrible, satisfied smile she gets when taunting Naoko. While strangling her was not a good response, I can't help but think, "That little monster kinda deserved to be punished for that..." Maybe not choked out though.

Shinji pissed me the hell off, because he is the summary of everything I personally will never do with my life... but I do not dislike him. He has a good heart, he just responds to things in the most terrible ways.

Gendo really makes me irritated with his attitude toward Shinji, and the fact that he is essentially such a selfish bastard, but... his attitude just kicks so much butt I have to love him. He commands every situation he's in, every scene he is in (oftentimes literally), even up to his death (or complementation, whatever you want to call it).

Kaworou is overrated but I don't dislike him.
"I'll make you wish you hadn't burned our time before/ I'll live through this in a manner cursed at my own accord.

If my shame spills our worth across this floor/ Then tonight, goodnight... I'm burning Star IV."

-Claudio nukes creation because lolheartbreak, Coheed & Cambria

Soul Fire
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Soul Fire » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:59 pm

Asuka, second place. There is no 'I in team', so she should get off her high horse already. She's supposed to be fighting a war damn it, not playing some kind of game!

Thats what happens when you ask 13/14 year old children to do an adult's job and fight in a war. It's not really her fault. She had a lot of guts in the first place.

Gendo doesnt really have much going for him so far. He just didnt know how to be a father in the first place. As we are shown in EoE he actually did care about Shinji but just thought if he showed it or tried to get close to Shinji, he would only cause him more pain.His treatment of Asuka was despicable however.

Um if I had to say I didnt like a character it would be Ritsuko, as she could be just a cold as Gendo at times. If Misato had not been in command I think there would have been some very dead pilots quite early on in the series.

Deathmask
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Deathmask » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:23 pm

This might sound weird, but I really don't like Kaji. He just seemed so damn useless, yet everyone thought so highly of him. Every time I saw him I felt like he was screaming "HEY I HAVE A PONYTAIL AND STUBBLE AHAHAHAHAHAHA 14-YEAR OLDS LIKE ME" at me.
<X> i dropped my book for this conversation
<ZapalacX> i dropped my pants for this conversation
<Anti> I wasn't serious.
<ZapalacX> i was
<ZapalacX> i'm not even joking
<ZapalacX> look at my face
<ZapalacX> :|

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Guyver Spawn » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:10 pm

Gendo Ikari since the way he acts piss me off sometimes and how he never cares for his son 90% of the time.

Oedipusfoot
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Oedipusfoot » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:13 pm

This is all very funny, because I just recently said this to someone:

"My hatred of Asuka is at a level where I feel as if Asuka is not a part of Evangelion. Anyone who says "Look at me! Look at me, damn it!" automatically wins my disapproval.
I just watched the director's cut of Asuka's mindrape where GAINAX really outdid themselves. Lots of poignant images in one place, perfectly timed. If I was an Asuka sympathizer it would have affected me in a way that would make me think about the mindrape scene constantly while feeling the strain of the scene myself. But one-dimensional characters who already have disagreeable natures don't take precedence over the more subtle characters like Kaworu and Rei. "

And it ends with "Please Asuka, just die. Please."

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:23 pm

^If you were an Evangelion character, you would be my least favorite.
THIS IS STEINS;GATE'S CHOICE!
----<3 Merchant meets Spicy Wolf <3----
8 YEARS OF EVA, Does it mean something to you?
EvaPedia|Xbox Live|El Psy Congroo

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Guyver Spawn » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:31 pm

Does Jet Alone count? I found him to be the most unless anime character ever since he had no fighting skills at all.
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

The Goose
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby The Goose » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:44 pm

I don't really think so. Lets just stick to the human characters. If theres a, "worst mecha," thread around here, you can add Jet Alone to it.

Annihilationscape
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Annihilationscape » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:12 pm

"My hatred of Asuka is at a level where I feel as if Asuka is not a part of Evangelion. Anyone who says "Look at me! Look at me, damn it!" automatically wins my disapproval.
I just watched the director's cut of Asuka's mindrape where GAINAX really outdid themselves. Lots of poignant images in one place, perfectly timed. If I was an Asuka sympathizer it would have affected me in a way that would make me think about the mindrape scene constantly while feeling the strain of the scene myself. But one-dimensional characters who already have disagreeable natures don't take precedence over the more subtle characters like Kaworu and Rei. "

ô_o;

I guess this is an opinions thread, but dude. That's pretty rough. Rei, as I've stated elsewhere, just never did it for me, but I wouldn't say I disliked her fully.
"I'll make you wish you hadn't burned our time before/ I'll live through this in a manner cursed at my own accord.

If my shame spills our worth across this floor/ Then tonight, goodnight... I'm burning Star IV."

-Claudio nukes creation because lolheartbreak, Coheed & Cambria

Psychodrama
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Psychodrama » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:45 pm

If you'd asked me a month ago, I would've said Rei, but I've become tolerant of her.

Funnily enough, I don't hate the characters that are meant to be hated (SEELE, Gendo). It's as though since I know that's their purpose, I can't feel strongly against them.

Don't like Maya. I don't know why.

And I don't think I like Yui, for some reason. Maybe it's the fact that she married Gendo, or the fact that she said she wanted to be married and then ends up marrying the first guy to ask her on a date, along with her deep obsession of technology/science/whatever work she did for the organization. I don't know for sure, something about her just makes me feel wary.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:54 pm

Psychodrama wrote:And I don't think I like Yui, for some reason. Maybe it's the fact that she married Gendo, or the fact that she said she wanted to be married and then ends up marrying the first guy to ask her on a date, along with her deep obsession of technology/science/whatever work she did for the organization. I don't know for sure, something about her just makes me feel wary.

Maybe the fact that she:
-Made her 4 year old son watch her "die".
-Left her son by himself on a deserted planet while she's all "WHEEEE" in space.
-Ate her husband. (Some people liked Gendo.)
-Intentionally caused the "tang"ing of all mankind.
-Looks like a character you once disliked (Rei), but even less is known about her.
-Looks like a grown-up version of a very hated character from GoS2 (Mana).

Could it be any of those?

And for Maya, is it because you're prejudiced of the lesbian community? Or is it that she's got brown hair, like Yui, and possible another hated character such as Naoko Akagi?
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:13 am

I have brown hair, too, and everybody hates me.

(BTW, Yui looks like a grown-up version of Rei, not Mana. I thought that was obvious. :tongue: )
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:16 am

Reichu wrote:I have brown hair, too, and everybody hates me.

(BTW, Yui looks like a grown-up version of Rei, not Mana. I thought that was obvious. :tongue: )

Why do you think I dye my hair? :wink:

I've heard people say that Mana is a teenage Yui. And that Mana was just Rei with longer, brown hair, and a "spunkier" attitude. (I dunno, I never played the game).
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Hellfire
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Hellfire » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:28 am

I don't know that I really hate any of the characters in this anime. There were times throughout where I felt sympathetic towards pretty much every character in the show, so while they may have certain traits, or have done certain things that I disliked, I can't say I hate any of them.

However, I disliked Gendo for his negligence of Shinji. And his excuse at the end of the show does not do it for me. Clearly, throughout the entire present period of the show, the one thing that was driving him was to get back with Yui, and nothing else to him mattered; everything, and everyone else was simply a tool to be used. Hence his treatment of Naoko, Ritsuko, and even his own son. There were times when I wanted to bitch slap him and tell him, "That is your son. Take care of him, asshole."

Asuka's personality also grated on my nerves. I understand that she had a rough childhood, but she is too reminiscent of the self-centered little brats I had to deal with in Middle School, High School, and even in my present day life from time to time. I know it's just a front, and that supposedly inside, there's a sweet little girl, but I'm not sure that I see it, nor am I sure where anyone is getting this idea from. Because she acts like a normal, rational person towards Hikari, almost? That said, I rooted her on in EoE when she finally realized the presence of her mother. That scene pretty much rocked. Possibly one of my favorite parts of the movie (probably because it was one of the lone scenes where something good was happening.)

Naoko was also pretty... messed up, too. Obsessed over Gendo? Really? Even ultimately choosing him over your own daughter? Choking out a little girl who is just parroting what her adult guardian said? (I very much doubt that little Rei I-age... what? 3? 4?-realized how upset those words were making a grown woman feel.) And then of course, there's the Seele people... They weren't very nice. Anyhoo...

Wuv, Yer Mom
...a second chance is all you have left...
...remember why you cling to this gift...
-BS2

Me: I can see it, I can taste it, I can smell it!
Annihilationscape: Sounds like a whore to me!

Psychodrama
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Psychodrama » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:01 am

Sachi_13 wrote:Maybe the fact that she:
-Made her 4 year old son watch her "die".
-Left her son by himself on a deserted planet while she's all "WHEEEE" in space.
-Ate her husband. (Some people liked Gendo.)
-Intentionally caused the "tang"ing of all mankind.
-Looks like a character you once disliked (Rei), but even less is known about her.
-Looks like a grown-up version of a very hated character from GoS2 (Mana).

Could it be any of those?

And for Maya, is it because you're prejudiced of the lesbian community? Or is it that she's got brown hair, like Yui, and possible another hated character such as Naoko Akagi?

Having Shinji watch her die definitely contributes to the feeling, along with her weirdly obsessed comment ("I want my son to witness the great possibilities of new technologies" or whatever she said, just weird.) Not any of the other things, especially the looks-related ones.

As for Maya, no, I'm not prejudiced. I've been a fan of anime for a long time and have come to notice that in them, people aren't labelled with a sexuality as they are in America, nor do they feel the need to label themselves. They're just attracted to whomever they're attracted to, simple as that, and thinking of sexuality that way since I was about ten definitely left me unprejudiced. I feel no hatred towards Naoko, so it's not that, and I'm a brunette myself. I think it's that she's one of the more one-dimensional characters, there's not much to her. And she's too mild. I like characters with great complexities and flaws.

Oh, and, isn't Mana the new female character that'll appear in the Rebuild series (brown hair, pink glasses)? I can tell I won't like her. :kawaii:

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:25 am

Psychodrama wrote:I've been a fan of anime for a long time and have come to notice that in them, people aren't labelled with a sexuality as they are in America, nor do they feel the need to label themselves.

You haven't been watching the right anime then.

Oh, and, isn't Mana the new female character that'll appear in the Rebuild series (brown hair, pink glasses)? I can tell I won't like her. :kawaii:

Close. That's Mari and it seems a lot of people won't like her, but COME ON! Twin tails, glasses, stockings...she's a treasure trove of ℳℴℯ! ^____^
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:39 am

I can't say I won't hate or dislike Mari. She looks like an interesting character(i am a sucker for anime girls with glasses and pigtails).

One character I really don't like is Mana from GoS. She seemed more like a friggin plot device then a character.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”