Why do you people like Rei so much?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

master0rolando
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby master0rolando » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:59 am

Marzan wrote:
master0rolando wrote:actually i recently had a date with a girl with blue hair...(its rare to meet a girl with blue hair...much rarer to meet a hot one that makes it work!)

it makes me wonder if id say something to Rei about it if i met her...

...hmm...what would i say?

Mmm, you remind of someone I used to date?

oh no...shes nothing like Rei...shes loud and silly...

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:31 pm

VoidEater wrote:Is the Rei-in-Shinji's-mind really Rei? Or just what he thinks about her?

I think it's the real people, yes. By interacting this way each participant gets to see not just how others thing about themselves, but how they think about the viewer as well, forcing a confrontation between the self as known and the self as it is. How much of the dissonance is a product of denial, and should the denied truths be accepted or expunged? How much is misunderstanding, and what did the viewer do to foster that misunderstanding, intentionally or otherwise?
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

VoidEater
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby VoidEater » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:34 pm

^ That makes sense. It's a stronger dramatic point, though a weaker philosophical one...cheers
"I would like to see a clown remake of 'Terms of Endearment' or 'The Thorn Birds.' Or maybe a big disaster movie, like 'Towering Inferno.' That's stuff I'd pay to see. Nothing says entertainment more than burning clowns."

Zaiku
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Zaiku » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:18 pm

oh no...shes nothing like Rei...shes loud and silly...

Ah, then she is the episode 26 Rei.
For the love of everything... Watch this video: Give it 5 stars and leave a comment. Even, subscribe... Maybe? Well, I'd appreciate it. >_>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiBcbfvcE6c
"I did it for the lulz." ~Me: on everything

etjusticepourtous
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby etjusticepourtous » Tue May 05, 2009 1:13 am

You guys are to superficial. Have your met a person who is real mysterious and tried all in your power to befriend them or to open up? And in the end both of you part ways, and you never really know the person. Well, that's what I find intriguing about Rei you know there's more to her but she's holding back.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Tue May 05, 2009 7:21 am

Mr. Tines wrote:Depends whether you think it's worth hitting on lesbians... But yeah -- Ritsuko is mai waifu (even if that means I'm cradle-snatching).

Well she would currently be 23 professor, sure you're not "snatching" a little too soon? :sweatdrop:

etjusticepourtous wrote:You guys are to superficial.

Mind elaborating?
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Gamer_2k4
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Gamer_2k4 » Tue May 05, 2009 8:49 am

I think (as a result of his elaboration that you seem to have missed) that he's condemning the people who like Rei simply because she's physically attractive.
Gamer_2k4

etjusticepourtous
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby etjusticepourtous » Tue May 05, 2009 10:28 am

Gamer_2k4 wrote:I think (as a result of his elaboration that you seem to have missed) that he's condemning the people who like Rei simply because she's physically attractive.

The other way around, she is in a sense, but people have stated that her eyes are different colors, shes to quiet, and that she has a pale skin. The characters from the series are like real life people to an extent with their personalities.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue May 05, 2009 12:35 pm

etjusticepourtous wrote:The characters from the series are like real life people to an extent with their personalities.
But all of the characters we know about have flawed personalities, not just Rei.

Being so reserved, though, she does present an air of alluring mystery -- and "It's not the kill, it's the thrill of the chase"

Alaska Slim wrote:sure you're not "snatching" a little too soon? :sweatdrop:
She's legal -- what more do you need? (well, as well as being highly intelligent and good looking too.) Also "Current Avatar: Nicoletta (from Ristorante Paradiso) because the world needs more cute 21 year old oyajicons!"
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Tue May 05, 2009 4:11 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:Being so reserved, though, she does present an air of alluring mystery --

Sadly, that's all the anime really gave her. Her development became a sacrificial anode for the sake of the plot.

Mr. Tines wrote:She's legal -- what more do you need?

Well I'd like to see the "beauty mark" go (I associate such a feature with a certain Disney villain), and I already told you about my problem with blondes.

My issues are not all superficial though, she lacks… strength, or something like it.

Mr. Tines wrote:Also "Current Avatar: Nicoletta (from Ristorante Paradiso) because the world needs more cute 21 year old oyajicons!"

Yeah... that thing strangely reinforced my image of you being like Rene Auberjonois. -o-;
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

PuppetChaos
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby PuppetChaos » Wed May 06, 2009 8:45 am

Rei is like Carl Jung's 'fairy-like woman', a woman who's 'so fascinatingly vague' that people can project their own fantasies and expectations upon her. If you want Rei to be a sad, sad girl, she is. If you want her to secretly be a freak in the sack, she is. If you want her to be an evil genius secretly plotting the downfall of Gendo Ikari and NERV, and then claim world domination... well, maybe that's stretching it. (maybe ... as awesome as that idea is)

I'm not saying that Rei has no character/personality whatsoever, but 'vague' is a good descriptor for the girl.

(PS: Carl Jung is my homeboy)
DeviantART | YouTube | LiveJournal
I think the 00 Gundam is a pretty cool guy, eh teleports and doesnt afraid of anything

Gamer_2k4
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Gamer_2k4 » Wed May 06, 2009 3:11 pm

PuppetChaos wrote:Rei is like Carl Jung's 'fairy-like woman', a woman who's 'so fascinatingly vague' that people can project their own fantasies and expectations upon her.

Well sure. In a show where every main character is so detailed, the viewer can't accept that Rei is as one-dimensional as she often seems. Naturally, they expand her in their own way, like you said.

It's interesting that there's a prototypical character model like that out there already (to me, anyway), though I suppose literary works like this have been analyzed like crazy by now.
Gamer_2k4

Iron Rooster
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Iron Rooster » Wed May 06, 2009 10:56 pm

They're called b(.)(.)bs. It's also the same reason why Shinji fapped over Asuka.
STROOPWAFELS!!!!!!!
Don't trust a prince on a white horse. He probably likes to rape dolls.
Dumbest thread I've ever started

Gamer_2k4
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Gamer_2k4 » Thu May 07, 2009 11:11 am

Iron Rooster wrote:They're called b(.)(.)bs. It's also the same reason why Shinji fapped over Asuka.

Not necessarily. For example, I don't use certain desktop wallpapers because I want to think of Rei and Asuka as characters, not sex objects.

This == A-okay:
http://people.msoe.edu/~brayshaj/files/NGE/rei_4.jpg

This == Not likely:
http://people.msoe.edu/~brayshaj/files/NGE/NGE_rei_sparkly_1920x1200.jpg

(Of course, maybe you were only talking about yourself, in which case ignore me. =P)
Gamer_2k4

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Thu May 07, 2009 2:08 pm

PuppetChaos wrote:I'm not saying that Rei has no character/personality whatsoever, but 'vague' is a good descriptor for the girl.

... and yet I swear her character was the complete inspiration for this anime and the female lead there-in. :headscratch:

PuppetChaos
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby PuppetChaos » Thu May 07, 2009 2:52 pm

Gamer_2k4 wrote:Well sure. In a show where every main character is so detailed, the viewer can't accept that Rei is as one-dimensional as she often seems. Naturally, they expand her in their own way, like you said.

Yeah, Rei isn't one-dimensional, but the problem is that she's a lot harder to figure out than the other characters. As you said, people expand on her character, and it's usually (?) to their own preferences.

Gamer_2k4 wrote:It's interesting that there's a prototypical character model like that out there already (to me, anyway), though I suppose literary works like this have been analyzed like crazy by now.

Jung was referring to mythological characters (such as the 'queen of faeries' or whatever it is that pops up in Celtic myth) as opposed to purely literary ones, I think... but he was using it to refer how, in reality, people fall in love with someone... but in some cases they're not in love with the person, but rather their idea of the person.

Which is even more applicable to the massive Rei fandom, because Rei, being a fictional character, is an idea herself... and then people end up liking an idea of an idea. Or an idea of an idea of an idea. Wow, that's not meta at all.

http://people.msoe.edu/~brayshaj/files/NGE/NGE_rei_sparkly_1920x1200.jpg

Something always perplexed me about that image, but it's not the boob-ness of it. (I like boobs too much to let that element bother me) :\
DeviantART | YouTube | LiveJournal
I think the 00 Gundam is a pretty cool guy, eh teleports and doesnt afraid of anything

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu May 07, 2009 6:44 pm

Gamer_2k4 wrote:In a show where every main character is so detailed, the viewer can't accept that Rei is as one-dimensional as she often seems.

I have no problem accepting this.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Fast Tony DeNiro
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Fast Tony DeNiro » Fri May 08, 2009 2:13 am

Rei is great. I don't know what it is but she's really grown on me and I think she's a good character. Well, like some of you have said already, until she's sacrificed to forward the plot.

I think if Rei acted like she does in episode 26's alternate reality, for the entire series, that would be awesome.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Fri May 08, 2009 4:02 am

This thread is beginning to make me sad... and it's mostly my fellow Rei supporters that are responsible. :um-no:
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

HENRCAST
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby HENRCAST » Fri May 08, 2009 8:55 pm

If you keep analyzing Rei and comparing her to other characters, she certainly seems one-sided. But then I remember that the episodes about Rei are between my favorites of the entire series (those are 5, 6 and 23, I think), there's no way I can say I don't like Rei, even though she isn't my favorite character (nothing beats Asuka).

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”