Old timers: Why do you keep coming back to Eva?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

Just what the heck is it about eva anyway?

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Sun Nov 21, 2004 7:39 pm

We've all watched it, we all thought about it, and we've all talked about it to death on this page alone.

Just what the heck keeps us all into eva ?

For me I think its that the way the story is told you really have to think about it inorder to get it fully, and the fact that I can identify with a lot of the characters.

THat or im stark raving mad and this is just what crazy people do . . . :lol:
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

Timesplitter 01
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby Timesplitter 01 » Sun Nov 21, 2004 7:44 pm

1. I woud have to agree with you on the wa the story is told.

2. The amount of information to be researched also keeps us going too.

3. And to a leser extent ( 1%) the fan service.

i think this is a good question to ask your self

"Why do u keep watching eva and why do u keep coming back to the forums"

My anwser is point 2
I have too much anime, yet it's not enough. Anime Addict, if it were a drug; I'd be dead.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sun Nov 21, 2004 8:29 pm

To me, it boils down to the characters. That's part of the reason why I prefer the series ending to the End of Eva. At the end of it all, Evangelion is not about Angels or Evas or any of that. Its about the characters. And every one of them is well defined, well portrayed, and in some way relatable to ones self.

Ayanami
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Ayanami » Sun Nov 21, 2004 8:36 pm

I've been thinking about that for awhile. I mean, there are many other series other than Eva that I'm just as crazy for, but just... something about Eva makes me want to know more and ask "why?" a lot more than those other series do.

Maybe it's the mysterious religious symbolism, although I'm not much of a religious person, myself. Maybe the complexity of the characters. Maybe the intriguing storyline.

Y'know, I honestly don't know. But that's really how you know something is really, truly good. You keep going back to it, and are constantly finding things you never noticed, even after like, say, 10 years. :P
Close your eyes and listen hard

Timesplitter 01
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby Timesplitter 01 » Sun Nov 21, 2004 9:06 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:To me, it boils down to the characters. That's part of the reason why I prefer the series ending to the End of Eva. At the end of it all, Evangelion is not about Angels or Evas or any of that. Its about the characters. And every one of them is well defined, well portrayed, and in some way relatable to ones self.

I have to have a box of tissues handy every time I watch EoE.

I agree that the characters were well defined and had there own unquie characterisitcs , thats what made the series so good.

The thing with EoE ending , it leaves an opening for some more. Where as the series ending also does this , but to a lesser extent.

It is similar to futurama , we will never know how everything turned out after Fry an lelia got together ( bloody fox , at least MG is occastionally making the point "Why did they cancel Futurama ")

This is what I hate about the entertainment world , they can shove u around.

P.S Sorry if this post made no sence
I have too much anime, yet it's not enough. Anime Addict, if it were a drug; I'd be dead.

MAGI
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby MAGI » Sun Nov 21, 2004 9:54 pm

For me, it's because you know, deep inside, there's always more to it. There's always some meaning or thing or history behind the things we see, and we'll try to work it out. We've got 26 episodes, two movies and some other miscellaneous things to work from. I guess it's that we want to know more about it, and there seems to be a way to do so.
That's why Anno said he won't tell you everything about Eva, because that would kill it.
ココにいても、いいの?
Is it okay for me to be here?

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Mon Nov 22, 2004 6:13 pm

In my opinion (and this is not an attack on the starter of this thread), this has all the meaning of a Christian thread asking, "So why do YOU love Jesus?"

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:59 pm

Hexon.Arq wrote:In my opinion (and this is not an attack on the starter of this thread), this has all the meaning of a Christian thread asking, "So why do YOU love Jesus?"

hence why it is in the chit-chat board were we keep rendom meanless though eva related crap. :lol:
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:58 am

The characters are okay. But the Evas and the Angels are the best part, despite whatever Aaron might try to drive into your skull. ;)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Nov 24, 2004 4:14 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:To me, it boils down to the characters. That's part of the reason why I prefer the series ending to the End of Eva. At the end of it all, Evangelion is not about Angels or Evas or any of that. Its about the characters. And every one of them is well defined, well portrayed, and in some way relatable to ones self.

For me, it has to be the flawed — damaged, even — characters, cruelly treated, who can still arouse my sympathy, conjoined with raising, without providing more than ambiguous answers, the fundamental deep question (“Why?”) in a way that allows people to hold it up as a mirror.

Timesplitter 01 wrote:I have to have a box of tissues handy every time I watch EoE.

Surprisingly, being a sentimental sort, quite often to be found dabbing discretely at his eyes during movies EoE wasn't one of those. My reaction was more like Shinji's shell-shocked lack of response in ep#23.

And since no-one's done it yet

#include <ob. joke about Shinji, EoE and box of tissues>
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Kiel
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kiel » Sun Nov 28, 2004 9:23 pm

Hexon.Arq wrote:
In my opinion (and this is not an attack on the starter of this thread), this has all the meaning of a Christian thread asking, "So why do YOU love Jesus?"

Well, I love Jesus because he forgave the people for their sins. He was a kind, understanding and fairly knowledgable guy. Plus, he was a carpenter! An awsome profession to be sure.

I recently started rewatching Eva with a friend who had never even heard of it before. I found myself feeling awkward trying to explain why things were so weird and nonsensical to my friend...and why the english dub of the first dvd was pretty lame.

It got me to thinking, why do I love this series so much?

Looking back, the first few episodes weren't all that great. The animation doesn't really shine until the second and third episodes (and really only during the fight sequences).

I discovered that Eva really started to grow on me down the road, during the later episodes.

Once the cast had been introduced, there was time for character development...sorta. Was there really a whole lot of development in the series? Did any characters change dramically at the end aside from maybe Shinji and perhaps Asuka?

Was the series really all we made it out to be?

...um...I think it is.

Aside from the characters (which are really great), the animation quality (which jumps from mediocre to amazing depending on the episode), what i really love about Eva is its story:

or...maybe the absence of story for that matter.

Eva is one of the only series (of anime) I've seen that ended with so many unanswered questions and a sence of wanting more.

Could it be that one of the biggest reasons we've followed Eva this far is because we just generally want to know more about it?

Threads about the science, threads about character histories and futures, threads about the myths, religions and facts backing up Eva.

I think Eva is one of my favs because it always left me wanting more. Even after two endings (and a third if you count Eva R) I still feel a pang of desire, a feeling of unsatisfaction.

I think this is why I'll continue to like Neon Genesis Evangelion, because I'll never get enough of it^_^.

Oh, and to those wondering...I'm now officially the king of the broken link.
hee hee.
The Amytiville Toaster

Makes Breakfast Spooky!

MAGI
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby MAGI » Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:00 am

That's sort of saying what I just said... -___-;
ココにいても、いいの?
Is it okay for me to be here?

Otaprince
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Otaprince » Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:53 am

for me, as well. in the last few volumes of the Eva manga, Sadamoto has been cutting angels and fight scenes because, really, who gives a shit? we just want to hang out some more with Misato, Shinji, and all the rest.

What is it about Eva? An open ending. Both TV and EoE endings are WAAAY too open. Yes, they're brilliant, artistic statements blah blah, but the simply fact is that we never got closure on Eva the way we really need.

Timesplitter 01
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby Timesplitter 01 » Mon Nov 29, 2004 2:16 am

Otaprince wrote:
What is it about Eva? An open ending. Both TV and EoE endings are WAAAY too open. Yes, they're brilliant, artistic statements blah blah, but the simply fact is that we never got closure on Eva the way we really need.

I think I mession that before , but I agree with you anyways

Kiel
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kiel » Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:16 am

Sorry if I just repeated what had already been said ^^;;, I guess I was just overeager.

wow. Looking back, I think that's the longest post I've ever made! And it was about pretty much nothin' too.

Neat.
The Amytiville Toaster

Makes Breakfast Spooky!

Dark FireStar
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby Dark FireStar » Mon Nov 29, 2004 2:32 pm

The action, the music, the Rei
Don't ban me for a limited time! Either ban me for good or let me be. (I only hold grudges for a few years lol)

Kiel
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kiel » Mon Nov 29, 2004 3:28 pm

yes, I agree.

The Rei

The Misato is good too though.

In fact, I can't think of a single character that i dislike or find bland or uninteresting
The Amytiville Toaster

Makes Breakfast Spooky!

Dark FireStar
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby Dark FireStar » Mon Nov 29, 2004 3:32 pm

The only chareter who is "unintresting" is the fat guy with seele
Don't ban me for a limited time! Either ban me for good or let me be. (I only hold grudges for a few years lol)

Kiel
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kiel » Mon Nov 29, 2004 5:16 pm

Which fat guy with SEELE?

Chairman Kihl? He's super interesting!

maybe the blue-ish fat guy?

He's still kinda cool. I mean, he's blue...and fat, so he's got that going for him, which is nice.
The Amytiville Toaster

Makes Breakfast Spooky!

Dark FireStar
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby Dark FireStar » Tue Nov 30, 2004 3:05 pm

BLah i guess but still hes just a fat half robot......he is kinda interesting!

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”