Questions/Thoughts About Official Eva Music

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

user-02
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby user-02 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:16 pm

View Original PostJayfive wrote:And still, after all these years, only the 1st opening to Attack on Titan comes close in terms of awesome.

Attack on Titan's opening theme has some of the best Engrish ever shown on subtitle.

Gorbatschow
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Gorbatschow » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:56 am

View Original Postuser-02 wrote:Attack on Titan's opening theme has some of the best Engrish ever shown on subtitle.

Don't forget Sword Ar... I mean "Log Horizon". :lol:

@Princess Asuka

Changing the OP would have been a really good idea, especially in the second half, considering that the show changes it's atmosphere completely. (and don't forget the fact, that we see Asuka about 0,5 seconds in the original Opening)
Avatar: Mugen no Juunin- coloured by me | UserPic: Last month's avatar (Eden: It's an endless World)
__
"Everyone has the right to self-determination and every try to classify a human being as better, dumber, worse or gentical assessed is pure fascism and everyone in this country should actually know that“- Serdar Somuncu

“Intelligent men do not decide any subject until they have carefully examined both or all sides of it. Fools, cowards, and those too lazy to think, accept blindly, without examining dogmas and doctrines imposed upon them in childhood by their parents, priests, and teachers, when their minds could not reason.” - James Hervey Johnson

“Science doesn’t give absolute answers; it only shows the most presumable contingency based on actual, practical or theoretical evidences.” – My physics teacher

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:11 am

View Original PostCJD wrote:Never got tired of it but never rated it as high as other people seem to either.

Yup, same here.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:59 am

View Original PostGorbatschow wrote:Don't forget Sword Ar... I mean "Log Horizon". :lol:

Don't you dare try and compare Log Horizon to SAO. :asuka_geh:
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

Stratomeister
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Stratomeister » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:13 am

View Original PostJayfive wrote:Restore your love for Cruel Angels Thesis with this version which is now a complete SOB to find as its apparently been copyrighted from YT, dailymotion and pretty much everywhere else.

Christ, was that awesome.

And regarding the show's ED, I quite liked the use of "Fly me to the Moon". Although for some reason it took me a second viewing, and a lot of rooting around on this wiki before I realized how it was all tied together. Not sure why that was, it's pretty obvious looking back on it now.
"What the hell is this?" - Shinji Ikari

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:36 am

NGE's opening is pretty great. I like it, but it does get a little more hype than it deserves. I never really got tired of it, but I only view it once every three episodes or so when I rewatch the series. It can cut down time by a significant amount if you're binge-watching something.

Gorbatschow
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Gorbatschow » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:37 am

View Original PostCJD wrote:Don't you dare try and compare Log Horizon to SAO. :asuka_geh:

Sorry, but they even hired a guy to explain how Log Horizon isn't SAO :lol:
Avatar: Mugen no Juunin- coloured by me | UserPic: Last month's avatar (Eden: It's an endless World)
__
"Everyone has the right to self-determination and every try to classify a human being as better, dumber, worse or gentical assessed is pure fascism and everyone in this country should actually know that“- Serdar Somuncu

“Intelligent men do not decide any subject until they have carefully examined both or all sides of it. Fools, cowards, and those too lazy to think, accept blindly, without examining dogmas and doctrines imposed upon them in childhood by their parents, priests, and teachers, when their minds could not reason.” - James Hervey Johnson

“Science doesn’t give absolute answers; it only shows the most presumable contingency based on actual, practical or theoretical evidences.” – My physics teacher

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:38 am

View Original PostJayfive wrote:Restore your love for Cruel Angels Thesis with this version which is now a complete SOB to find as its apparently been copyrighted from YT, dailymotion and pretty much everywhere else:
http://rutube.ru/video/edd49b572be88d7cf8eee5e2bfc2eea9/

Awesome because
1) "ts ts ts ts 'Zan..*drowned out by crowd roar*
2) Its the full version with that middle eight before the main riff comes roaring back in
3) Both singers really belt it out
4) Synchonised glowstick waving
5) That pointless guitarist

And still, after all these years, only the 1st opening to Attack on Titan comes close in terms of awesome.

Note that, while it might not be available many places for free, you can buy it outright. Amazon has the Blu-Rays used for $50 and up, which isn't bad given the huge number of songs in Animelo 2009's set.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Princess Asuka
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Princess Asuka » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:23 pm

View Original PostGorbatschow wrote:
@Princess Asuka

Changing the OP would have been a really good idea, especially in the second half, considering that the show changes it's atmosphere completely. (and don't forget the fact, that we see Asuka about 0,5 seconds in the original Opening)

Yes, I love how in Sailor Moon we got opening changes. But, sometimes they were huge spoilers like revealing which the senshi was the Princess a few episodes before it was revealed. I know the 3rd season had 3 different openings, just to feature the senshi, 4th season 2 openings to feature uniform upgrades, 5th season, 2 openings, 2nd one adding in the starlights. Then there was a test opening first few episodes, and all 4 openings shown at once for episode 89.

I just wonder if Eva did a second opening if it would be spoiler free.

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:47 pm

The live performance was great IMO. Not quite sure if it's enough to restore that spark but it's getting there. On the other hand, I never get tired of Fly Me to the Moon no matter what version I listen to and obviously the series tried out tons of them.

Unit.Zed
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Unit.Zed » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:11 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:.... I found NGE's original music at best appropriately cheesy, and otherwise quite forgettable.

Exact opposite for me.
I think it's one of the best OST for any series ever. Dynamic, interesting, cheesy where it needs to be, spine-tingling and fitting.
It's not quite a Howard Shore score, but it's pretty damn good.
As for the Thesis, it's an integral part of NGE for me. So essential viewing. Gets me right in the mood.
I also think it's an awesome piece of music and very much a product of it's time.
All that is exclusive of the visuals - as a complete package it's utterly brilliant.

Quadhonk
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Quadhonk » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:37 am

View Original Postuser-02 wrote:Attack on Titan's opening theme has some of the best Engrish ever shown on subtitle.

Think that's bad. Black Lagoon op:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9GfkiZPnm8

I didn't even know it was sung in english until my brother pointed it out to me.

Also, I never got tired of C.A.T . I'm not playing it on repeat or anything, but when I here it come on it just brings back memories of watching Nge for the first time on vhs when I was a kid. It was like my favorite song when I was a child (even though I didn't understanding the lyrics).
It's difficult in times like these; ideals, dreams and cherished hopes rise within us, only to be crushed by grim reality.
It's a wonder I haven't abandoned all my ideals, they seem so absurd and impractical.
Yet I cling to them because I believe, in spite of everything, that people are truly good at heart.
- Anne Frank (21 July 1944)

robin007bond
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby robin007bond » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:43 pm

It gets annoying when watching a lot of episodes without pauses. It's a great opening when you watch one episode a day.

A great opening in my opinion.

Kazuki_Fuse
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Kazuki_Fuse » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:11 pm

View Original PostLegionWrex wrote:I never skip anime openings or endings unless I truly hate them.

This. My OCD won't allow it.

CAT is still one of my favorite OP's ever. The fantastically cheesy song combined with the erratic and haphazard visuals never gets old to me.

Plus, nude Misato...
Avatar: "Here is a magical girl who would not take it anymore"
Hitler AND eating babies in a Shinji thread? Business as usual- TMBounty_Hunter
Sorry, my policy is not to take life advice from people with ego problems who also happen to post on anime forums- CJD
Does Love Live get a lot of shit or something?- caragnafog dog

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:13 pm

Were I to have been watching one episode a week, I highly doubt that I would have gotten tired of it. (Note: even when binging, I didn't.) I think it's that way for most TV shows today, when one happens to be watching them live broadcast.

Tier_15
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Tier_15 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:37 am

15 years of hearing that OP song and still to this day I get Goosebumps. The version I saw of Eva had that "StarChild" chime right before the OP and every time I heard that I knew it was time to have my mind blown. The song itself is pop-ish but rather haunting too with that slow opening. It fits the show so well.
In the name of good, ye not guilty

Stratomeister
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Stratomeister » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:58 pm

Well, I've searched high and low, but I couldn't find this jazzified version* anywhere. So, here it is!

This group's also done a dozen or so other covers of songs from NGE and EoE (see below), I'd recommend you check 'em out, it's some pretty funky stuff.

Air on the G string
The Beast II
Cruel Angel's Thesis*
Fly me to the Moon
Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring
Jikai Yokoku
Jikai Yokoku ver. 2
Kanon in D
Kokoro yo Genshi ni Modore
Komm, Süßer Tod
Shuuketsu no Sono he
Soul's Refrain
Thanatos
"What the hell is this?" - Shinji Ikari

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:13 pm

I have a new favorite:

This version is sung by:
Megumi Hayashibara (Rei)
Yuko Miyamura (Asuka)
Kotono Mitsuishi (Misato)

http://youtu.be/mjoAx9djpNQ

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:18 pm

I like this version

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Bm-nhnd0Nk[/url]

and this version

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1DZHCbfWAQ[/url]

heavytread
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby heavytread » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:23 pm

[url]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AA66TBB6tKM[/url] 2009 version

[url]http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=JI-Tvf9jmGS[/url] Megumi Hayashibara (Rei)

[url]http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=CBRwtqNqE8Y[/url] a nice piano version

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”