Whats the power rating of an EVA?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Logoguy
Embryo

Re: Whats the power rating of an EVA?

•      
  •      

Postby Logoguy » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:18 am

Ok, so we know that all EVAs have a core, but lack an S2 engine; which would be able to power an EVA indefinitely.

However, since they don't posses a soul (because they're man-made), they are essentially an empty shell. Therefore, they need a human soul (or simply just biomass) in order to 'breathe life' into them. And since the only way to operate an EVA is with psychologically unstable teenagers (or lots of Reis), which is driven by their psyche by resonating with their mother's soul, that might explain why the EVAs can operate without cables and batteries by utilizing the energy from the core; a sort of soul energy, maybe?

Although, that doesn't explain how they can operate on their own (i.e. when they go 'berserk' without anyone/thing in them.)
"The world is sick because our symbols are sick... and the purest of us are its victims." -King Lear

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:43 am

View Original PostTraxXavier wrote:needer the German dub nor the subtitles mention the core in this scene

Watch the original Japanese version; you can clearly hear "core" (koa) being spoken during those lines in #17 and #24. From the sound of things, your country got shafted when it comes to translation. As the saying goes, "garbage in, garbage out" -- bad translations will inevitably produce flawed conclusions.

The Classified Information from Eva2 unambiguously states that Evas possess cores.

The Development of Eva

D. In-Depth Information

A unit called a core is used to eliminate any discrepancies in the joining of Eva, the body of a god, with that of a human being's soul. The soul of the pilot's mother, which is placed within the core, acts as a medium and makes piloting possible.
Due to difficulties encountered in the development of Eva-00, the core's system is poorly constructed, and the Eva falls behind in performance capacity as a result. Another reason for this is that Eva-00's pilot, Rei, does not have a mother.

Eva Unit-01

C. Confidential Information
Normally, in order for the pilot to link with the Eva's core, it must contain the soul of the pilot's mother. In the case of Eva-01, it is Yui's soul.

The Second Children

D. In-Depth Information
When Asuka's mother carried out the experiment with the Eva's core, only part of her soul — the maternal component that loves her daughter above all else — remained within Eva Unit-02. This is why she could not recognize her daughter.

This information indicates that the core fundamentally acts as a container for the soul. Its function as a container for the S2 engine is purely secondary.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

TraxXavier
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby TraxXavier » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:09 am

View Original Postamitakartok wrote:That's why one should watch the show undubbed. Dubs (and sometimes subs too) tend to leave out important bits, so the optimal way to know everything the show has to offer is to learn Japanese.

I totally agree, but I'm to lazy to learn Japanese only for that single purpose. I'm not very gifted in languages so it would take more time than its worth.

Reichu wrote:Watch the original Japanese version; you can clearly hear "core" (koa) being spoken during those lines in #17 and #24. From the sound of things, your country got shafted when it comes to translation. As the saying goes, "garbage in, garbage out" -- bad translations will inevitably produce flawed conclusions.

Don't need to, the English sub/dub also mentions core.

Reichu wrote:The Classified Information from Eva2 unambiguously states that Evas possess cores.

Well sure but that was released long after the original series...

Besides to be honest the German version to me makes more sense than what the original makers intended.

C. Confidential Information
Normally, in order for the pilot to link with the Eva's core, it must contain the soul of the pilot's mother. In the case of Eva-01, it is Yui's soul.

How does that work with Mari being able to pilot the provisional unit which was blown up at the end and than unit 02?
I mean what can they upload/download souls by WiFi or despite the huge explosion they managed to salvage the provisional units core, covertly bring it to Japan and install in unit 02?
To me that does not make sense, even though that appears to be what the makers intended.

Or Asuka being used to test the US unit, did they swapped cores? And if so they apparently would have to again here salvage the core and put it back to unit 02 for it to be later again piloted by Asuka, despite the contamination with an angel. Thats sounds very implausible if you ask me.

Also when considering further plot points of the rebuild continuity unit 01 here did not have to devour zeruel to become "cordless".

But well this irregularities are from the rebuild continuity so they may just have changed that here.

PS: btw: where does the info come from that unit 01 was cloned from lilith and not adam like the others?
Evangelion x Earth Final Conflict crossover FanFic: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11613231/1/Deus-est-Nadia
Discussion thread: thread/17927/Deus-est-Nadia/?f=28

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:18 am

View Original PostTraxXavier wrote:How does that work with Mari being able to pilot the provisional unit which was blown up at the end and than unit 02?

Do not fall into the trap of thinking the rules of the universe are the same in the Rebuild films as in the original series; they are not - there are many instances in which they are clearly different, and this is one of them.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:08 am

View Original PostTraxXavier wrote:Well sure but that was released long after the original series...

Well, you weren't happy with the confirmation from the storyboards, so if neither that nor actual dialogue and visual evidence from the show will convince you what on earth will? :p

Besides to be honest the German version to me makes more sense than what the original makers intended.

From the sound of things, it misrepresents or outright omits the facts, so you can't base any of your arguments on it and expect them to hold. It's the same with using any blatantly incorrect translation. Someone can't posit an argument based on the English dub, either, if it's blatantly contradicted by what the actual original version says. Well, I mean, they can, but they'll be wrong.

PS: btw: where does the info come from that unit 01 was cloned from lilith and not adam like the others?

Re-watch EoE.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

TraxXavier
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby TraxXavier » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:50 am

Well, you weren't happy with the confirmation from the storyboards, so if neither that nor actual dialogue and visual evidence from the show will convince you what on earth will? :p

It's not a question of convincing. What I'm looking for is the data how much actual information was given in the show as such, trying to sort it apart from "after the fact" sources.

I actually don't consider statements of a shows makers as canon, only what was presented in a show as such. If the makers want to add something after the fact, well sorry to late, unless they make a new season or movie its irrelevant.

About visual evidence, there is more visual evidence against then for it, as unit 02 and Toji's unit are booth dismembered and a core is no ware to be found.

I'm convinced that what you write was the original intention of the authors.
What I'm looking fore is how much of the intent was actually realized in the show+eoe and how much evidence contradicts that (even if its only due to inconsistent/sloppy production)

From the sound of things, it misrepresents or outright omits the facts, so you can't base any of your arguments on it and expect them to hold. It's the same with using any blatantly incorrect translation. Someone can't posit an argument based on the English dub, either, if it's blatantly contradicted by what the actual original version says.

I'm not basing any arguments here.
I'm just pointing out that from a purely rational point of view the adapted German version is less implausible than the originally intended story.

Re-watch EoE.

do you mean that dialog part "Kouzou: Angels possess the fruit of life. Humans possess the fruit of intelligence. It has both now. EVA-01 is now like God. Right now the origin of life is welcoming the birth of recreation. Will it become Noah's Ark in the Third Impact? Or will it become the demon that destroys us all? Everything is in the hands of Ikari's son now."

or was it mentioned explicitly some ware?
Last edited by TraxXavier on Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Evangelion x Earth Final Conflict crossover FanFic: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11613231/1/Deus-est-Nadia

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:13 pm

View Original PostTraxXavier wrote:or was it mentioned explicitly somewhere?

From EoE subs:
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby amitakartok » Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:53 pm

There's also the Director's Cut of episode 23, which outright shows the process in a freeze frame.
Strategic Cyborg Evangelion : an average author's aspiring attempt at awesomeness. Currently at chapter 42.

Mana, Mayumi and Sakura: the TRUE goddesses of Eva

TraxXavier
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby TraxXavier » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:00 pm

View Original Postamitakartok wrote:There's also the Director's Cut of episode 23, which outright shows the process in a freeze frame.

what minute of the EP?

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby amitakartok » Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:10 am

It's shown during Ritsuko's speech while the camera is panning over the Reiquarium Here.
Strategic Cyborg Evangelion : an average author's aspiring attempt at awesomeness. Currently at chapter 42.

Mana, Mayumi and Sakura: the TRUE goddesses of Eva

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”