Things you thought the manga did better?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:15 pm

+ Rei/Shinji interactions
+ Kaji backstory
+ Shinji backstory (bike)
+ Kaworu shows up earlier and is a total weirdo
+ Eva-sized chainsaw weapon
+ Shinji tries to punch Gendo, lol
+ Gendo's ATF fun times
+ Shinji actually fights the harpies

- Missing a few angels
- Gendo's ridiculous 'i'll become a god' motivation
- Asuka the testube ninja, wha?
- Lame ending copout
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:49 pm

I think some people generally tend to give Sadamoto more shit than he deserves, but the dude did have some interesting additions and modifications to NGE. NemZ's list pretty much sums up my feelings.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:52 pm

I did like Kaji's backstory, but the fact he was a total asshole while relating it tainted it something fierce.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:43 am

What did Kaji's backstory actually have to do with becoming a triple agent? It's been a while.

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:I think some people generally tend to give Sadamoto more shit than he deserves

Manga that take so long to finish invite mockery upon them. It's just how it is. (Even something as great as Berserk can't escape "lol miura's playing id@lmaster again!" jokes.)

I think I learned to hate the manga by spending some time at the Eva Mailing List, where the shear amount of (in my mind) undeserved love for Sadamoto's version at the expense of the original resulted in me developing an "allergy" toward any positive sentiment expressed toward Sadamoto's adaptation, which can only be relieved by being a hate machine.

So remember, kids: love the things you love a little less, so that other people will love them a little more.

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:54 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:I think I learned to hate the manga by spending some time at the Eva Mailing List, where the shear amount of (in my mind) undeserved love for Sadamoto's version at the expense of the original resulted in me developing an "allergy" toward any positive sentiment expressed toward Sadamoto's adaptation, which can only be relieved by being a hate machine.

I don't have too much experience with EML, but I think one of the reasons that it may have gotten that much attention was that until Rebuild came along, it was only part of the main franchise where new material was being released (if you don't count the spinoff stories), so it would be discussed by more people who liked it than those who didn't.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

Chainsaw Owl
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Chainsaw Owl » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:11 am

The manga has a massive double-bladed chainsaw. That's good enough for me.
Set phasers to thrill.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:52 pm

View Original PostChainsaw Owl wrote:The manga has a massive double-bladed chainsaw. That's good enough for me.

That was just a cross-promotional stunt for a video game. If the Dual Saw is all you care about, get a copy of NGE2 and have the deep satisfaction of using it with (almost) any Eva on any Angel. (I really thought the Dual Saw was dumb, until I got to see it in action. Pity there's no blood and gore splatter, though.)

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:27 pm

Next to each other Doom 64 style or opposed, Darth Maul style? This is important.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:51 pm

Next to each other, think double chainfist from Warhammer 40K.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:19 am

Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:59 am

:sigh:

Prog knife still best weapon.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:25 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:

I was with it until I saw the arrows. To truly please the blood god, the teeth should move in opposite directions.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:51 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:I was with it until I saw the arrows. To truly please the blood god, the teeth should move in opposite directions.

Quite the contrary: less pointed teeth means that it takes more time to cut the target, which makes for more blood spilled, which pleases more the blood god! ;)
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Chainsaw Owl
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Chainsaw Owl » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:03 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:That was just a cross-promotional stunt for a video game. If the Dual Saw is all you care about, get a copy of NGE2 and have the deep satisfaction of using it with (almost) any Eva on any Angel. (I really thought the Dual Saw was dumb, until I got to see it in action. Pity there's no blood and gore splatter, though.)

Far from all. The Prog Knife (bowie style) will always be my first love, but I shall always remain a creature of the saw.

More specifically on topic, I don't honestly believe the manga did anything better. I generally tend to prefer manga over anime, but in this case, the anime wins.
Set phasers to thrill.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:45 am

View Original PostChainsaw Owl wrote:I generally tend to prefer manga over anime
That's because typically, the anime adapts the manga and there is adaptation decay going in that direction. NGE, and a few other cases, where the two are part of the same project (e.g. Utena), get to be exceptions to the rule by the anime not being an adaptation as such.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Chainsaw Owl
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Chainsaw Owl » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:35 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:That's because typically, the anime adapts the manga and there is adaptation decay going in that direction. NGE, and a few other cases, where the two are part of the same project (e.g. Utena), get to be exceptions to the rule by the anime not being an adaptation as such.

That's what I equate it to as well, though there are a few exceptions. For example the Yu Yu Hakusho manga came first, but I just plain hate it. Love the anime though.

Ah, and just to give credit where credit is due, I think Sadamato's manga gets a star for keeing the art more consistent. Man-in-a-suit Unit 02 still haunts my dreams.
Set phasers to thrill.

Cosmo11
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Cosmo11 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:19 am

The more conisistent art style and Kaji's backstory (except the way it's presented) are the only parts of the manga which are better for me.

mechashiva
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby mechashiva » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:38 pm

I got kind of sidetracked but I read the first few volumes of the manga and the things I liked were:

-YMMV but I kind of liked deadpan/snarky Shinji, maybe not better than anime Shinji, but it sort of took a different path from a constant given of his personality in that he chooses to express himself with dry jokes
-introducing Rei fighting the Angel as Misato is picking Shinji up instead of seeing her first as a mirage in the street and then on the hospital gurney as Gendo makes her pilot the EVA-01 after Shinji refuses. It sort of establishes her as a pilot first than a source of pity and sympathy as a damsel in distress.
-When Misato takes Shinji to the Neo-Tokyo 3 overlook to show him the buildings rising out of the ground, she congratulates him and tells him he did a good job, he bursts into tears and said "I just wish he (Gendo) told me that."

aww. :asuka_sad:
yeah, I'm a sap but it was heartbreaking
"Every child is an artist, the problem is staying an artist when you grow up."-Pablo Picasso

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”