Scenes that make you happy

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:52 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Any of the scenes with Misato's jingly theme-tune;

Quickly followed by her opening a beer and chugging it down. ^_^

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:45 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:In retrospect, I should have just asked Bags if he could humor the thread and post some of his favorite selections anyway. I'm curious to see what they are.

But the question isn't "what are your favorite scenes?" It's "What scenes make you happy?" Those are two different questions. Asuka's final battle does not give me the warm fuzzies, but it is absolutely my favorite scene in the whole of the franchise. Like, bar none. It's not even a question, it's so clear cut. That is the alpha and the omega of Evangelion for me, rivaled only by the scene with Rei and Yui at the end of EoE (which is so simple and yet so fucking powerful I just don't know how to describe it). But that's not what the OP was asking.

I can't pick a scene that makes me happy, because it's the show itself that makes me happy. It's the fact that it exists, that this one (not) perfect work is here to enrich my life, that makes me happy. The dance sequence? Meh. Rei's smile? Meh. The AU from 26? Meh. I don't care about individual scenes (well, okay, seeing Kyoko hopping from ship to ship in ep 8, complete with badass cloak, was pretty cool). I care about the work as a whole, and about how the scenes play off of one another.

You thought I was being flippant with my answer, but I wasn't. Individual scenes from Eva don't make me happy. But Eva as a whole? That makes me happy. When I want to see Eva I want to see Eva, not particular scenes from Eva. It only works for me as a complete story.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:18 pm

I seem to be a master of poor communication as usual, so I'll just drop it. Sorry for the trouble.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”