Anyone else falling out of love with Eva?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

chaosakita
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby chaosakita » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:20 pm

You don't have to be obsessed with one TV show all the time. Just move onto other things and the show will always be there for you when you want to return to it.
Avatar: Shinji and Kaworu get ice cream

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:23 pm

Well i mean, i honestly don't consider myself much of a fan of anime or other entertainment media but rather an animation/visual arts enthusiast so the lack of new content or it's value as show doesn't really hold any meaning to me. I have not really seen the series in a long time but there's a good reason why it's easily the most popular thing Anno has done, and his directorial genius clearly shows aside from how... perfect, it all is and how perfectly it feels. Sadamoto said that when designing the characters he felt as if the hand of God was guiding him and in a way i think that could also be said about the series in general.

Now, personally i have found my personal preferences drawn more to his other works like Nadia or Kare Kano (in no small part because Eva is a bit too high/heavy, not just because of the dark or deppressing elements which i feel are vastly overstated in the fandom) but objectively i still consider Eva "superior" or otherwise getting the most things right overall.

So yeah, while Eva certainly isn't on my current animation mindset it still hold its deserved place as classic/influential work and is appreciated as such.

Atropos
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Atropos » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:43 pm

If so, it's probably due to overexposure—popping in the discs once or twice a month to watch a favorite episode, to the point where it feels sort of banal. 'Swhy I've made a vow not to rewatch Utena until I've actually finished my own education.

TheDrmcvey
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby TheDrmcvey » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:07 am

Nope, I think having a combination of both Rebuild and the original series is good to fall back on. Eva has just about everything I can ask for from an anime whether it be old or new.
Eva Rebirth

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:11 am

Nope. Still love the series as much as I did back in 2006 when I first discovered it. Actually, my love for it has only grown because based on all the other anime I've watched it really is a diamond in the rough. That it's an anime series that can & does exist on a plane of narrative, thematic & creative text far above just being "fun" is really a landmark in my eyes. I've personally come to find that there's an abundance of fun & enjoyable anime series (sadly there's even more hateful garbage that people misconstrue as being fun) but few that can actually stand alongside some of the greatest cinema as art. I personally find that while they do have a few narrative flaws - real flaws besides character X doesn't have enough screentime cause she's my fave - the Rebuild films have only increased my love of the series as it's offered me a chance to see an artist I admire - Anno - reappropriate & have a dialogue with his work. I love it all the more.

Plus, it doesn't hurt that I enjoy being a small - very small - part of this little EvaGeeks community. Even if I am occasionally too vociferous or snarky at times.

*Though I gotta work on my tendency to just free write these things & let my posts have so many run on sentences. My English professors would be so ashamed.

Suicidahlia
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Suicidahlia » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:50 am

I don't think that I will ever stop loving NGE. It's just so important to me as one of the best works of art that display broken people who resemble me in their thoughts and behaviour. The fact that there's so much to ponder also helps.
As I mentioned in my first forum post, I switch my fandoms around. It doesn't make me any less loyal, it just helps me not to get tired with anything. I could see myself getting sick with Eva if I was constantly reading fanfiction, rewatching anime, etc. I don't ever want it to become banal for me, like modern anime as a media had (sadly).
Also - I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts.
[When I was checking vitals
I suggested a smile
You didn't talk for a while
You were freezing]

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

•      
  •      

Postby C.A.P. » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:55 am

-raises hand-
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:22 pm

View Original PostSuicidahlia wrote: I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts.

and sigged!

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

Suicidahlia
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Suicidahlia » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:52 pm

I'm so touched, first day on Evageeks and already got sigged! :rei_hissyfit: Never thought this is gonna happen.
Thank you :asukahearts:
[When I was checking vitals
I suggested a smile
You didn't talk for a while
You were freezing]

deeRez
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby deeRez » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:12 pm

Sometimes reasons for liking Evangelion run out, to give way for other reasons.

I liked Evangelion because I felt it mirrored my 14-year old self (without the robots, angels, and doomsday scenarios). Shy kid, surrounded by babes, pulling him along on wacky adventures which he hated but secretly appreciated. Anyone who had trouble expressing themselves would appreciate Evangelion's end goal: merge everyone's thoughts so that there are no secrets.

Now that I'm in my 20s and much more social, if I feel something emotionally, I'll express it.
This makes watching a show about characters lack of ability to communicate on an emotional level feel like watching a show about autistic people. Painful. I just want to teleport into the show and start giving out hugs.

Evangelion Theater Edition / Rebuild of Evangelion, has done a solid job of evolving the characters so that they're much more mature. Seeing Rei and Asuka express emotions for others really hit the heartstrings. This brought me back into appreciating Evangelion again, because it matched my social expectations.

Then I read the manga while waiting for Evangelion 3.0, and the manga's character development brought me back further.

I had transitioned from viewing Evangelion in my teens as if I was Shinji, to my 20s, where I view Asuka/Rei/Shinji as my kids who I want to see get along. And that keeps me going and hopeful for 4.0.

As for inbetween while I wait, I'm enjoying the art that Sadamoto and Honda are pumping out.
In and of itself, self-evident.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”