Are the On-Air episodes needed to be watched over the DC?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

eva14
Embryo

Are the On-Air episodes needed to be watched over the DC?

•      
  •      

Postby eva14 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:18 pm

I've finally got up to the last remaning episodes and I've already seen the first of the Director's Cut which I noticed it's longer than the On-Air so it means it has more content and its story is better told, but should I also watch the On-Air episodes?
Owner of the Neon Genesis Evangelion: Platinum Collection (R2 Edt.) and fan of Eva Unit 01!

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:26 pm

One common recommendation is to go through watching the OA episodes through to 25+26; then go back and watch the DC episodes up to 24' followed by EoE. Some of the additional material is best considered as setup for EoE, it can be argued.

Then you can enter the concurrency debate, and consider whether: if the TV ending and EoE can be combined, then the DC episodes lead into both of them.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:54 pm

There are various threads discussing the differences between OA and DC. Honestly I first watched the show in DC form, and the OA versions lose some of that narrative potency for me.

For what it’s worth, there are some changes made in the DC version of Ep 21 that were made by Anno in response to some misconceptions over various plot elements, so if you want to better understand the conversation and communication that’s being had in the form of art that is motion-picture television and film, then the DC episodes are the way to go.

In then end, there certainly is no harm to watching both. I saw the DC eps and EoTV/EoE first, and then the OAs afterwards. (Even then the OAs aren’t in their truest form, as the version of Ep 23 that initially aired on Japanese television isn’t around in DVD format. If you’re not happy with that middle-ground, you might as well go full-on DC versions and internalize the fact that very small elements of this show will never be like it was on TV.)
Last edited by FreakyFilmFan4ever on Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:21 pm

Pwhodges has the right of it. You need to watch both and in the proper context to really grasp the full picture, especially if you want to talk about it here.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:31 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:One common recommendation is to go through watching the OA episodes through to 25+26; then go back and watch the DC episodes up to 24' followed by EoE. Some of the additional material is best considered as setup for EoE, it can be argued.

This is my recommendation.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:18 am

This is the most recent of the related threads on the DC additions to the OA material -- [url]http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/16715/EoE-and-the-DC-Retcon-or-Not-split/[/url] -- though of course it is full of spoilers as to what the differences are. Most of the controversy really focuses on the changes made in episode 22 (21 adds some more back-story, 23 adds to the angel battle, 24 mainly expands the rather compressed original).
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

eva14
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby eva14 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:49 am

Okay thanks guys, I'll watch both versions.
Owner of the Neon Genesis Evangelion: Platinum Collection (R2 Edt.) and fan of Eva Unit 01!

The Cruel
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby The Cruel » Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:45 pm

When I started to watch NGE, I watched the series with the OA episodes first and the series ending. But because of EoE, I watched the series again with the DC episodes instead of the OA ones. And in case of Death, we have three options how to watch NGE:

1st: The main series without the DC episodes, Death and EoE

2nd: The main series without the DC episodes, but instead of ep.25 and 26, Death and EoE (either as Death and Rebirth+EoE or Revival of Evangelion)

3rd: The main series with the DC episodes and instead of ep.25 and 26, EoE

I prefer the 3rd option, because the DC episodes and EoE have a stronger impact on me.
I carry out things right to the end. No. Matter. What.

Avatar: I declare myself as WILLEs deserved enemy and Asukas and Shinjis punisher

You can (not) hope

„Unfortunately, those other fools and idiots gave you the most worthless feeling. And that feeling is hope. The unicorn alive shitting a magic rainbow is but an illusion.“
-Doom Head, Rob Zombie's 31

„If you were a better person, you wouldn't be here.“
-Loading Screen, Spec Ops: The Line

„Cognitive dissonance is an uncomfortable feeling caused by holding two conflicting ideas simultaneously.“

„It takes a strong man to deny what's in front of him. And if the truth is undeniable, you create your own.“
-Colonel John Konrad, Spec Ops: The Line

„Through the darkness of future past,
the magician longs to see,
one chance out between two worlds.
Fire walk with me!“

-Bob, Twin Peaks

Jäeger
Temp-Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Jäeger » Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:17 am

The funny thing it's that most people have never seen the true OA :lol: What you can purchase today are the DC redrawn eps without the extra footage, not the original broadcast.

Good for your eyes, bad from a collector's POV. And I agree, If you're gonna watch EoE, you better see DC because the added info make things easier to understand. And well, it's the ultimate form. Remember that it's not discarded footage : it was made after the TV series, for the domestic releases, to add info to the story. And don't forget the the redrawn scenes, a very high rate in ep 22'. Well that ep it's the most changed one (and improved, IMO)

I prefer the 3rd option, because the DC episodes and EoE have a stronger impact on me

An it's Annos final and ultimate word. But I strongly recommend watch both ways. And if you have access to te true OA, the better, because you can wittness the changes. After that, you can stick to OA because you think that it was fine as it was or NGE with DC+EoE but opening a debate it's like opening Pandora's Box. Probably your opinion will be based on how much do you like Asuka's character.
Do american "cool" people know that in Europe only alcoholics and homeless drink wine without food by their side???

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:02 pm

Watch it all. The content exists-- and to have a more complete understanding of some of the arguments that go on here, I would completely recommend it.

The Cruel
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby The Cruel » Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:47 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:Watch it all. The content exists-- and to have a more complete understanding of some of the arguments that go on here, I would completely recommend it.

Maybe I give a try to the OA Episodes again, if I find them in their truest form. I've seen the comparisons on this site here and I know that the DC episodes are made after the series and the first movies, so they can link these together.

While my expirence with the OA episodes and EoTV is like Requiem for a Dream, the DC episodes and EoE remind me of Begotten. Both are surreal and complex but the latter one feels darker.
I carry out things right to the end. No. Matter. What.

Avatar: I declare myself as WILLEs deserved enemy and Asukas and Shinjis punisher

You can (not) hope

„Unfortunately, those other fools and idiots gave you the most worthless feeling. And that feeling is hope. The unicorn alive shitting a magic rainbow is but an illusion.“
-Doom Head, Rob Zombie's 31

„If you were a better person, you wouldn't be here.“

„Cognitive dissonance is an uncomfortable feeling caused by holding two conflicting ideas simultaneously.“

„It takes a strong man to deny what's in front of him. And if the truth is undeniable, you create your own.“
-Colonel John Konrad, Spec Ops: The Line

„Through the darkness of future past,
the magician longs to see,
one chance out between two worlds.
Fire walk with me!“

-Bob, Twin Peaks

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”