Introducing Others to Evangelion

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

AuthenticM
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby AuthenticM » Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:53 am

Elfen Lied owns our asses, that's why. It's that good. :D
In my case, I refuse to go easy on the ignorant, regardless of degree. Hitler was ignorant. Joshua C. Whatshisface is ignorant. To me, they're in the same category of ignorant and stupid people who should have been left in some isolated corner of the world where they couldn't bother anyone. --The Eva Monkey

Kaysow
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaysow » Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:18 am

All I've seen is the opening and an amv. So it's a the goriest shit ever, with and awesome opening song. But since Evangelion fans seem to like it, I think I'll have to order it.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:21 am

@Topic
I'd say allocate 2hours and run the first 4 episodes straight through. If you have to give some explanations, something about it "having to set up with genre conventions in order to subvert them" pretty much covers it. But ep#4 is the one you have to get to, where it starts to leave the action story beaten track.

-------------------------------------

<pedant>It's from 01m30 (end of OP) to 09m00 in Elfen Lied ep#1 that's the gore fest</pedant>
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:17 pm

Kaysow wrote:All I've seen is the opening and an amv. So it's a the goriest shit ever, with and awesome opening song. But since Evangelion fans seem to like it, I think I'll have to order it.

Have you ever seen Angel Cop?

Tines wrote:I'd say allocate 2hours and run the first 4 episodes straight through. If you have to give some explanations, something about it "having to set up with genre conventions in order to subvert them" pretty much covers it. But ep#4 is the one you have to get to, where it starts to leave the action story beaten track.

Yeah, I think you'd need to get her to at least ep 5 before she's allowed to say, "I don't like this, I don't want to continue".

InvaderRen
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby InvaderRen » Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:10 pm

wat happens at ep 5?

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:01 pm

InvaderRen wrote:wat happens at ep 5?

4 and 5 doesn't really have a lot of action in it, but you get a glimpse into the character of Shinji (ep4) and Rei (ep5), whereas 1,2 and 3 had mecha action and angel fights. The first time I watched NGE (and didn't know much about it at all), it looked pretty mecha/action oriented until i got to ep 4 and 5.

EvaCub
Ireul
Ireul

Introducing to Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby EvaCub » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:17 am

Ok im not sure if there is a thread like this, but I did look to make sure.

Anyways,
I want to introduce my boyfriend to Evangelion. He's smart, but i am too and got lost in the madness that is Eva. I was wondering if I should shut up and just watch it with him, explaining afterwords or help him through it. any suggestions?

random tidbit: when I was introduced to eva, i watched 6 episodes, d&r and EoE. I was Soo lost! but nevertheless it was fun[/b]
My Anime List
Apjak:"Basically, to make an A.T. field gun, you'd have to make a gun that fires Evangelions. Not a very efficient use.
SailorStarDust:"No, everything has SOME meaning to it in Eva!"
Reichu on Sequel Theory:lights bandwagon on fire again:

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:59 am

Maybe explain some stuff before you show him, some more through it if he asks, and then do the real explaining when it's all done, maybe go back on the show to show him what you mean once more.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

EvaCub
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby EvaCub » Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:04 am

thats a good idea, thanks
My Anime List
Apjak:"Basically, to make an A.T. field gun, you'd have to make a gun that fires Evangelions. Not a very efficient use.
SailorStarDust:"No, everything has SOME meaning to it in Eva!"
Reichu on Sequel Theory:lights bandwagon on fire again:

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:39 am

don't show him until he asks to see it.
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

CitizenGeek
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby CitizenGeek » Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:57 pm

Well, I don't think it's a good idea to try to 'explain' Evangelion beforehand. I don't think it's a good idea to build the series up as being uber-complicated or anything - it could marr their enjoyment of the series.

I've recentely started giving my friend (who is inexperienced with anime - she's actually a pretty regular, popular, highschool girl) Evangelion and she's been enjoying it even though I haven't explained anything to her yet!
I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf mutes.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:59 pm

If you watch it, I wouldn't tell him anything, or try to explain anything until the end. Preferably after th opportunity to go back and watch again if he really wants to.

If anything, I would explain to him the gist of the show's PRODUCTION, how Gainax was so close to collapsing, how it affected Hideaki Anno to see the studio unravel after their initial success. Evangelion came around under very specific circumstances, and if it hadn't happened, Gainax probably would not exist anymore. Even the change in tone would be helpful to know, you could tell him that the show changes dramatically, and that the TV ending was not intended. Even knowing that, he's still going to be like "WTF?".

Don't tell him a thing about the substance of the show, but I personally would have liked to have known the significance of the show prior to watching it.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:38 pm

let him watch it, and explain afterwards. but only explain if he asks a question
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

master0rolando
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby master0rolando » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:32 pm

just let him borrow the DVD and be done with it...don't like badger him though..."Did ya watch it yet?"...cuz then it sorta becomes a chore in his mind...

ill tell you whats gonna happen...Hes gonna say "Yeah, it was pretty cool"

and thatll probly be the end of it...

ZeroFive1
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby ZeroFive1 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:11 pm

I agree with everyone else. First time I watched eva a while back, (With my brother) I never knew anything about the show, but I really enjoyed it. My brother on the other hand, didn't like it as much due to the fact that he already knew what was going to happen.

BEsERk EVA01
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby BEsERk EVA01 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:21 pm

ZeroFive1 wrote:I agree with everyone else. First time I watched eva a while back, (With my brother) I never knew anything about the show, but I really enjoyed it. My brother on the other hand, didn't like it as much due to the fact that he already knew what was going to happen.

LOL! That's the exact same thing that happened to me. In 2004, my 14 year old sister was watching this show, i somehow stumbled upon it,and the first episode I watched was Episode 19. I was scared to fucking hell. Stupid Eva 01 screams. Anyways, i started to understand it, just like my now 17 year old sister is. (Ahhh...those were the times, 'cept I didn't know about Eva Geeks...) Then my sister started telling me some of her thoughts on Shin Seiki Evangelion, and literally, they were correct. Like all the others, it started to get extremely confusing close to the end, despite the fact my mind was still filled with memories of Asuka's cries of pain as the MP Evas tear her apart, blood, flesh spraying everywhere.
>>My User Profile On EvaPedia<<
>>Per Ardua ad Astra, Through Struggle To The Stars<<
>>Nothing<<

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

How many people have you introduced Evangelion to?

•      
  •      

Postby Guyver Spawn » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:16 pm

The topic title said it all. For me my cousin only seen a few episodes and he seems to like it. My 12 year old sister likes it too but she found the titles of the episodes to be confusing. So how many people have you managed to introudced the series too.
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:57 pm

My cousin. He likes it but he's not that into it. My best friend. Just knows about it, he wouldn't like it. My girlfriend, she shall watch the entire show as well as the movie.
THIS IS STEINS;GATE'S CHOICE!
----<3 Merchant meets Spicy Wolf <3----
8 YEARS OF EVA, Does it mean something to you?
EvaPedia|Xbox Live|El Psy Congroo

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:28 pm

About 6 people so far... Rhyno liked it quite a bit. Another went from confused by EoTV to pissed off at EoE, and retroactively decided that the whole series was a waste of his time. The rest have been generally amused but were not inspired to fandom.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Oedipusfoot
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Oedipusfoot » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:30 pm

Four people, and they all rejected it for Naruto.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”