Introducing Others to Evangelion

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:15 am

@FreakyFilmFan4ever: Oh don't get me wrong, I'm aware that having the character development and so many important events happening offscreen was necessary for Q to have the emotional impact (pun unintended) and feeling of confusion it had, and I'm the first to admit taht it was masterfully done.

But still, it can be very frustrating that for once in the franchise there was successful character development, for the majority of the cast no less, but that we missed most of it offscreen. And yes, I admit that it does frustrate me, because even if NTE is supposed to be Shinji's show, I really think that seeing how Misato hardened herself along the responsibilities of commanding WILLE, how Asuka reacted once she awoke and learned that she's angel contaminated and that her two fellow pilot are dead and how she met Mari and how they influenced each other, curbing their lone wolf tendencies and inability to trust others, or how Maya changed from submissive assistant for Ritsuko to her own woman with responsibility over all of the maintenance and deployment of Evangelion!

That's why I hope that one day we'll get a spin-off about the missing 14 years, after all Q delivered its effect of surprise and confusion, so logically nothing prevents what happened during the timeskip to be revealed anymore.

But I'm wildly off-topic now, so I will stop with those words.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

KatsuragiSansa
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby KatsuragiSansa » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:58 pm

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to ask a question on this general topic and this particular thread seemed like the right place for it.

Never before I read this thread, had the idea of introducing someone to Evangelion (or any other fandom for that matter) crossed my mind. Mainly, because every single one of my friends and most people my age grew up already watching and loving NGE (and many other fandoms I enjoy) so it was sort of a given.

Still, even now that our interests have diverged a bit, I wouldn't think of introducing someone to something, so the question is. Why? I mean, what made you suddenly say "oh, I need to tell people to watch this or that"? Not saying it's a bad thing at all. Just curious about the motivations behind it. I read all three pages trying to see a pattern like everyone trying to introduce it to their sentimental other because it's nice to share things with your SO or whatever, but there was no consensus.

So it is that your friends aren't Evan geeks and thus, the need to share with others stays unsatisfied... and since there aren't any suitable subjects around IRL, the "conversion"/introduction is needed in order to be able to discuss it together? That's the only theory that comes to my mind because I've a friend who's been trying to "convert" me from playing LOTRO to WOW for the past five years.

Sorry if this isn't the right topic for my question. I just wanted to know.

OppaiDefender
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby OppaiDefender » Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:21 am

For me at least it was because I was never a person to actually participate in forums rather than just read the threads on them (I only joined the EvaGeeks forum 11 or so days ago and this will be my third post so go easy) , and I've always liked discussing things with people, even more so in person, so I got my friend and later a group of new friends (of all four of them one has watched it, two seem indifferent, and the other says "i think the animation is bad").

So for me it was so i could discuss and fangasm/fanwank Eva related topics with them

KatsuragiSansa
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby KatsuragiSansa » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:08 pm

View Original PostOppaiDefender wrote:For me at least it was because I was never a person to actually participate in forums rather than just read the threads on them (I only joined the EvaGeeks forum 11 or so days ago and this will be my third post so go easy) , and I've always liked discussing things with people, even more so in person, so I got my friend and later a group of new friends (of all four of them one has watched it, two seem indifferent, and the other says "i think the animation is bad").

So for me it was so i could discuss and fangasm/fanwank Eva related topics with them

I was actually asking why you'd want to introduce someone else to Evangelion not why you'd want to get involved in this community. Welcome by the way ^^

The Cruel
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby The Cruel » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:24 am

I introduced Eva mostly to my family. My mom was motivated to watch it until the end and she enjoyed it. When FINAL comes out (Jeah I rather call the 4th Rebuild-Film FINAL than 3.0+1.0 or Shin Eva) then I'll watch with her the whole Rebuild-Films.

To my older sister I introduced Eva too. She had seen the first two episodes so far, but she 'll take her time when she has the opportunity.
Last edited by The Cruel on Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
I carry out things right to the end. No. Matter. What.

Avatar: I declare myself as WILLEs deserved enemy and Asukas and Shinjis punisher

You can (not) hope

„Unfortunately, those other fools and idiots gave you the most worthless feeling. And that feeling is hope. The unicorn alive shitting a magic rainbow is but an illusion.“
-Doom Head, Rob Zombie's 31

„If you were a better person, you wouldn't be here.“
-Loading Screen, Spec Ops: The Line

„Cognitive dissonance is an uncomfortable feeling caused by holding two conflicting ideas simultaneously.“
-Loading Screen, Spec Ops: The Line

„It takes a strong man to deny what's in front of him. And if the truth is undeniable, you create your own.“
-Colonel John Konrad, Spec Ops: The Line

„Through the darkness of future past,
the magician longs to see,
one chance out between two worlds.
Fire walk with me!“

-Bob, Twin Peaks

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:12 am

Mostly just my mother...........and she hated it :(
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

ChamucaRobota
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby ChamucaRobota » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:33 pm

^
My mom hated it too mostly because of the religious symbolism and she only watched Jo :( Fortunately, my dad liked NME, but he hasn't watched Q and he's a massive fan of Ultraman so... he pretty much likes everything that's kaiju or giant robots related. :lol:
To KatsuragiSansa's question, I have introduced Evangelion to other people for the reason that I'm interested in their reactions and how they're emotionally affected by it. Also 'cause I like to hear their thoughts of the characters.
But the main reason to introduce someone to Eva is to act like a schoolgirl with another person every time you hear "x" version of Fly me to the Moon.

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:41 am

Oh my mum hated it because in her words "that Shinji kid is kind of a little bitch", i then proceeded to remind her i have suffered from depression too in the past which she shrugged off -_-

and then i made her watch sailor moon which she also hated cause "that usagi girl cries too much", i literally cannot win any character drama seems to turn her off even though all she ever does is watch korean dramas.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016

ChamucaRobota
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby ChamucaRobota » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:54 am

But-but Shinji and Usagi are better than any k-drama character :stars:

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:09 pm

View Original PostChamucaRobota wrote:But-but Shinji and Usagi are better than any k-drama character :stars:

I know.

NewEraGospel
Embryo

Only my brother.

•      
  •      

Postby NewEraGospel » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:53 am

The only person i have manage to get into EVA is my 2 year old brother who stumbled upon me watching the series on my iPad and seemed to be instantly hooked as soon as he heard that oh so catchy opening tune. So now every time i decide to watch the series he is sure to run to my side and watch it with me, although he most defiantly doesn't understand it he seems to rather enjoy it-plus its nice having a little eva companion. But i have unfortunately failed to get anyone else into evangelion they tend to just shrug it off as some overly complicated mech anime, which is a huge shame really :/
"The contents of a persons heart shapes their appearance"-End of Evangelion

EvangelionGodMode
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionGodMode » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:35 am

I've gotten my brother and my cousin by introducing them to the rebuild films. I've also Gotten them to start watching other anime with this and a couple of my friends as well.
Bong. James Bong. Bruce lee the way I kick it, Tiger Woods the way I hit it.-Blake ,Workaholics.
To put it in laid man terms, hes getting laid man.-Blake, Workaholics.
"You shoulda known the price of evil"-M Shadows

GT-One
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby GT-One » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:50 am

Well, my sister is a huge fan of Inuyasha and enjoys Sailor Moon too, so when we ultimately had made it through all of our currently owned DVD boxes from these two series, I suggested Evangelion to her, and for the next weeks, we were watching the original series, Death & Rebirth, The End of Evangelion, and of course the Rebuild movies. I guess, she's now as much into it, as I am into Inuyasha - which is a fair bit.

My mother has seen a few scenes from the series here and there and can probably recognize the main characters, which is all I can ask for.
"Feelings of love are just a temporary lapse in judgement. Like a mental illness." - Haruhi Suzumiya
"Is that supposed to be funny?" - Kyon

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:11 pm

I want to introduce Evangelion to my parents, but I'm worried they might be turned off by some of the more objectionable content in it.

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby KingXanaduu » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:23 pm

^

I here you there Ray. In fact, I don't think, aside from my brother due to JimmyWolk, I don't think I've introduced Eva to anyone where I live....then again, Anime isn't really much of a hype here, or even heard of.

Plus, the same reasons as you, Ray. :um:
"You're na�ve, Cecil. Even knowing betrayal and despair, you would depend on the whims of others?" - Golbez
---------------------------------------
Sephiroth: "Do you miss the Light?"
Golbez: "Hmph...I merely have duties to fulfill."
Sephiroth: "Too close to the brightness, and you may get scorched."
Golbz:.............
Golbez: Your loss can strengthen you.

"NGE Shinji is broken, Manga Shinji is an asshole, Rebuild Shinji is an idiot. Which is best? Uh, can I get some other options? All of these really suck." -Bagheera

EvangelionGodMode
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionGodMode » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:30 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:I want to introduce Evangelion to my parents, but I'm worried they might be turned off by some of the more objectionable content in it.
IKR. Thats why i let people watch the rebuild first. Probably the darker themes in the series will scare a lot more people away. The NGE experience will probably always be a interesting experience for a first time viewer. However, i couldn't imagine showing EoE to anybody under about 14 or 13. The themes and deconstruction of the characters might just be too much for them. EoE is basically all the crazy shit in NGE multiplied by 5.
Bong. James Bong. Bruce lee the way I kick it, Tiger Woods the way I hit it.-Blake ,Workaholics.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:46 pm

It's the. . . animated nudity.

Need I remind you guys the first time I saw Evangelion my mom walked in on the Underwear Drawer Scene and flipped out.

I was really young.

EvangelionGodMode
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionGodMode » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:55 pm

Probably the frustration with Shinji character would turn people off as well.

Black Swordsman
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Black Swordsman » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:20 am

View Original PostRay wrote:It's the. . . animated nudity.

Need I remind you guys the first time I saw Evangelion my mom walked in on the Underwear Drawer Scene and flipped out.

I was really young.

I always have that worry when watching anime...I can just tell that someone will only walk in when there's some god awful fan service on screen :facepalm:

On the topic though; I've introduced my brother and four of my friends to NGE. They all liked it a lot and I love having people to talk about it with, though they're not as crazy into it as I am :lol: I've tried to get some more people to watch it but they are put of simply for it being anime, yet they continue to love other animated stuff like Disney. Bleah, their loss! I actually got those four friends to watch quite a few shows like Gundam 00, Gurren Lagann, Ghost in the Shell and so on.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:41 am

Nine. :devil:
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”