Introducing Others to Evangelion

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

carla
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby carla » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:39 am

^ my mother would flip if i ever showed her episode 16. in fact, 15 would definitely be a safer choice, and i think she would actually like something like that. but then she'd be expecting the rest of the show to be like that and... yeah. :rolleyes: it really depends on the personality of the parent, i think.

this is, of course, not taking into account that she wouldn't understand a thing if i start from the middle of the series. do you guys usually introduce people to EVA out of order? curious. i never thought about doing it that way. :think: i guess it's because i caught it mid-series and didn't understand what the hell was going on. and of course, i've never really tried to introduce someone to EVA, not really.

i find it interesting that many of you have mentioned your fathers don't care what you watch or feel any need to watch it with you. i find that funny because i don't think my dad even has any idea what anime is-- i'm pretty sure he didn't even watch any of it when he was a kid. my mom has told me she knew and liked astroboy and mazinger and stuff like that, but i don't think my dad even had access to those. so now when he hears my brother and i speaking about anime or catches a glimpse of one while channel surfing, he doesn't even know what the difference between that and regular cartoons is. :sweatdrop: my poor, uninformed father...
bittersweet ending: episode 24. the angels are gone and mankind is safe... but tokyo-3 has been ruined; Kaji is dead; toji is a cripple; kensuke, hikari, and their families have moved away, taking pen-pen with them; Asuka is catatonic; ritsuko is in prison; Misato is a nervous wreck; Rei is "the third one"; and Shinji is utterly broken psychologically after having to kill the only person who has offered him unconditional love in the course of the whole series. come the movie? don't worry! it gets worse! ~from the source of all wisdom in the world.

kNET | GAW | my graphics | my fanfics | re-deconstruct: the EVA rebuild fanlisting

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:50 pm

Don't start in the middle. That's stupid.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

Killer Bee
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

@carla: Don't know what's so horrible about ep.16, though.

•      
  •      

Postby Killer Bee » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:02 pm

View Original PostTehDonutKing wrote:Don't start in the middle. That's stupid.

I think what they're saying is to start with an episode you think would get your parent(s) hooked, then start from the beginning. It would be to keep them from losing interest in the beginning because they'd know it gets better. And I say this as someone who absolutely refuses to watch/read/play anything out of order.

planet news
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby planet news » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:52 pm

Nothing wrong with that. I like the idea.

For me, I think all I need to do is hype it up critically. Keep saying things like "universally hailed as the best anime of all time". I have to be careful though, because maybe they'll be let down by the first few episodes.
"Crab People, look like crab, talk like people. Crab people . . ."

carla
Ireul
Ireul

Re: @carla: Don't know what's so horrible about ep.16, thoug

•      
  •      

Postby carla » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:57 am

lol, well, the only "horrible" part of ep. 16 is unit-01 bursting out of leliel in a shower of blood-- my mother isn't too fond of gory stuff, you see. but i don't think she'd much appreciate the rest of the episode either, since it consists mostly of Shinji sitting in his eva, contemplating the meaning of his existence. those are things i could maybe convince her to watch if she was already hooked, but i couldn't really introduce her to the series using that.

View Original PostKiller Bee wrote:I think what they're saying is to start with an episode you think would get your parent(s) hooked, then start from the beginning. It would be to keep them from losing interest in the beginning because they'd know it gets better. And I say this as someone who absolutely refuses to watch/read/play anything out of order.

i also usually resist to watch things out of order. i've gotten used to it, though, because i always wind up catching things halfway through because i keep forgetting. :sweatdrop: and then i have to download or look it up online to see the series from the top. for example, i got hooked on EVA by the visual of unit-01 eating zeruel in episode 19. needless to say, my mother would not appreciate that scene like i did.

and she gets really put off by stuff she doesn't understand-- she isn't like me in that respect, when i don't understand something it intrigues me so i keep watching, but my mom tends to give it up, instead. if i showed her an episode midway through the series, she probably wouldn't understand most of it, and the sensation of the series being "weird and incomprehensible" would stick with her even if i could somehow convince her to start from the top after all. that's why i said it really depends on the parent's personality, i guess.

with my mom, after much thinking about this, i just decided it was better not to try and introduce her to EVA-- she's not bothered by my watching it as it is, she knows i watch "weird stuff" like that and she doesn't mind, but i wouldn't want to try and get her to watch the "weird stuff" and have her end up thinking there's something wrong with me. :tongue: i don't really mind that she doesn't like what i like, to be honest. it's the way most things work in my household.

still, if i had to show her one episode, i would definitely choose 15, i think. it's the closest to romance/drama we get in this series. :lol:
bittersweet ending: episode 24. the angels are gone and mankind is safe... but tokyo-3 has been ruined; Kaji is dead; toji is a cripple; kensuke, hikari, and their families have moved away, taking pen-pen with them; Asuka is catatonic; ritsuko is in prison; Misato is a nervous wreck; Rei is "the third one"; and Shinji is utterly broken psychologically after having to kill the only person who has offered him unconditional love in the course of the whole series. come the movie? don't worry! it gets worse! ~from the source of all wisdom in the world.

kNET | GAW | my graphics | my fanfics | re-deconstruct: the EVA rebuild fanlisting

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:08 am

I'm pretty sure that my parents are 100% Eva incompatible.

My father has a thing for ships and trains like Anno, though. Maybe if i just showed him the parts that feature either of those....
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it is too dark to read."

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:10 pm

I got my mother to watch Evangelion at one point. She liked it, and for a few days we discussed some of the motives of the characters, the details only touched upon in the series, and a few other things, and we haven't really talked at all about it since. However, I think it has improved her appreciation for anime as a whole.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Assasinate
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Assasinate » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:58 am

anime for KIDS??? how about some ECCHI stuff out there ^_^
Humans can easily explain the cycle of life because they witnessed it, and they can tell it's story,
But no one can explain why a human need to die because the people who witnessed it can't never tell the tale.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:27 pm

View Original PostAssasinate wrote:anime for KIDS??? how about some ECCHI stuff out there ^_^
When things are tagged as "parental advisory" that means you are in general best advised not to bother your parents with it.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Sun Stealer
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sun Stealer » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:25 am

View Original PostSaltyJoe wrote:I'm pretty sure that my parents are 100% Eva incompatible.

My father has a thing for ships and trains like Anno, though. Maybe if i just showed him the parts that feature either of those....

By ships and trains, do you mean literal ships and trains or shipping and I can't remember what trains represent?

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:23 am

^ The literal ones.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it is too dark to read."

Combs
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Combs » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:40 am

I got my dad to watch 1.0 in theatres
If your parents aren't that christian/ conservative it should be fine

2.0 however looks to be a problem :\
Proud founder, and sole member of A.I.D.S
"Can you bond with someone, over a television show? ...neuuugh?" -Craig Ferguson
"her BREASTS are like THE MAJOR'S from GHOAST In the MACHINE, She is like a person with CYBORG RADIATOR BREATSTS that do not WORK unless EXPOSED or in TIGHT CLOTHING or else the EXPELLED HEAT managed to SET THINGS ON FIRE" -chee, on misogyny

Killer Bee
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

But it's mostly Asuka fanservice, so I'm not complaining.

•      
  •      

Postby Killer Bee » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:46 am

View Original PostCombs wrote:2.0 however looks to be a problem :\

Because of the pointless deluge of fanservice or because it would be hard for him to follow the plot?

cd603
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby cd603 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:19 am

dude, try getting your non-anime loving friends to watch it, then move on to your parents...

shinji_ryoji_89
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby shinji_ryoji_89 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:18 pm

My brother does this little anime screening at our house. Partly as a way to beat boredom, but also to get family and friends into anime and Evangelion is one of the anime he has been showing.

My father who absolutely hated what he saw of EoE and fell asleep during You are (not) alone, was in the room when my brother was showing the Jet Alone episode and he was strangely intrigued.

Yesterday I made fun of him, telling him that now he sees how awesome Eva is. He didn't confirm or deny it, but that usually means that he did enjoy it. Although he did say "How come that girl (Misato) is not fat or anything? A girl her age who drinks that much beer doesn't look that good" :D

Eva
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Eva » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:50 pm

I talk to my mom a lot about it, and she seems sort of interested. Showing her it would be a whole different story, though.

thomson777
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby thomson777 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:07 pm

using comic books eh? I never thought of relating them to convince my father that anime isn't evil due to unethical characters and lack of censorship (he doesn't know the difference between anime, dojin, and hentai witch will be pretty hard to explain considering he knows they exist.)
If I must commit sin for the good of humanity than it can not be.

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

•      
  •      

Postby KnightmareX13 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:05 am

My mom wouldn't understand any of it, but would go berserk once she sees some of the nudity scenes, my dad why be confused and think I am crazy. so it would be safe to say I am not going to introduce them to the series anytime soon.
"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price
"Damn the torpedoes" -- ADM Farragut
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -- Cpt. John Paul Jones
"Don't be alarmed, we're taking over the ship" -- Cpt. Jack Sparrow
Napalm Sticks to kids ♣ Λ

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:53 pm

View Original PostKnightmareX13 wrote:My mom... would go berserk once she sees some of the nudity scenes, .
Why?
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Fazmotron
Admin Emeritus :-{|
Admin Emeritus :-{|

•      
  •      

Postby Fazmotron » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:06 am

View Original PostEva Yojimbo wrote:Why?

Because KnightmareX13 is actually only 7 years old.
[Became a moderator on August 14th, 2011. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.
BobBQ - I find your lack of :-{| disturbing.

FAZMOTRON.com

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”