Your History With Eva

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Darius
Lilith

Your History With Eva

•      
  •      

Postby Darius » Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:09 am

Hey guys..I just wanted to know your backgorund history (I guess thats what you call it) with Neon Genesis Evangelion.

I never knew mine went way back until wanting to read the manga...So yes, this is how it goes:

A loooong time ago. Like around the time volume 4 was newish or old enough to go on the back of other books for advertising. (if that means thats book that go in the back of other books for advertising are old..)

I was reading the left-to-right oriented pokemon manga (or maybe it was a comic...but it was definetly manga style..so maybe they changed the direction..but whatever)

and when I was done..I saw a red-headed girl on the back in a weird red suit. with some red monster looking thing..I can't really remember the summary..but I remember that I knew whats the red thing was because it said something about giant robots and kids..Anyways since there was a pretty girl on it .....(and being the perverted kid I was...and still am lol) I kept the book under my pillow for so long (obviously for the back..not the book itself.)

I also remember aimlessly searching for that book...It never turned up anywhere I looked...Obviously, I was young so I didn't know where to look and I dunno if my parents cared...lol (It's not like I'd be able to read it..Well actually, at the time I was 6-7ish...I was able to read well..I'm not sure how smart my brian was though..lol)

Anyway's...Eventually, I couldnt find it and got sad..but instead of just giving up, I forgot about it slowly and slowly...To forget about it...Until..now

Yep, out of all the Anime shows to get addicted to, it was Neon Genesis Evangelion (This was around this year I guess.)..At first I didn't realize it was the series from that book with the red-headed girl (Asuka..lol). Also, I saw all this other stuff before actually seeing the actual anime...like the Human Instrumentality Project Hentai (which for most fan made things..was pretty good..since the characters usually look like crap..but not this one lol) and other weird stuff. So that further blocked my memory on poor, poor Asuka..*sniff*

Now, I got Eva and started watching it...When I first saw Asuka..I felt a as if i'd seen her before but I couldn't quite place it.. Then, I completed the anime series..bought the platinum edition thin pack...Then, I wanted to read the manga...so I bought the first one...and then...I saw it!

In all it's majesticness I saw the cover for volume 4!!! My memory somehow immediately came back and I was like "WOOOOT"!!

So ya...I have a deep history with Evangelion and I never knew it till recently.

So Here's the picture of the cover that I wil cherish forever and ever (once I get it..xD) although i'd prefer to get the old one from the time I discovered it...but, it would be expensive! lol..20 bucks well who cares

Heres the pic:

And man, it really is what I saw without a doubt!
Last edited by Darius on Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

the3rdchildren
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby the3rdchildren » Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:52 am

A friend of mine had let me borrow a VHS copy of Tekken the Movie from ADV. Before the movie aired, the usual slew of ADV trailers were shown - one of which was this bizarre robot anime with a really catchy tune and some genuinely awesome animation and art.

It was called Neon Genesis Evangelion, and I began to investigate the series. After some time, I came across the first two episodes online and watched them. The anime presence in the UK was considerably weaker than now at the time and I found myself in search of the VHS tapes, the sixth of which I was able to find and the first I ordered in weeks later.

What followed was a desperate hunt to find each volume of the series and see it, which as you can imagine resulted in me watching the series VERY out of order the first time, which was... different, I suppose. I remember my first viewing of The End of Evangelion was downloaded on dialup with the movie split into several non-subbed parts. I then managed to obtain a Cantonese VCD of the movies to finally watch them complete, understanding jack all of them for a long time.

I finally upgraded to DVD and the rest is... well, y'know.

Mundane
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Mundane » Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:00 pm

God Tekken was an awesome movie.
"Evangelion's some heavy shit. I've heard people get into serious philosophical debates on the internet. Then they jack off." -C4

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:07 pm

I received a promo email from Amazon.com back in early 2002 when the first DVD box set was being released. The description sounded interesting so I downloaded an episode and gave it a shot. I really enjoyed it and ended up downloading and watching all the episodes and movies in a week. Then, I ran out and bought the box set, only to buy the platinum box set a few years later.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Rahaquiel-2D1S
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Rahaquiel-2D1S » Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:14 pm

I don't remember my history with NGE, but I once thought that Rei was the main protagonist, and Shinji was a "side" character.
Haunted dolls? If Rozen Maiden ever taught us anything it would be to look under it's dress.

<No animated GIF in sig, please. -Admin>

jcmoorehead
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby jcmoorehead » Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:41 pm

About November/December of last year I was a part of the Amazon MTurk Beta, where you'd click images and get money for it it was about 3 cents per click and after a week I had about $120 (Opera Script+5 Windows at a time = Awesome) so anyway I was looking for stuff to spend it on, because I'm in the UK I could only get DVDs and I was beginning to get into Anime so I wanted a good boxset. Anyway I looked through them and most were expensive then I saw Platinum Thinpack Neon Genesis Evangelion. Now I had heard the name mentioned so I thought "what the hell" and bought it, at the time all I had seen were .hack//sign and Ghost In The Shell Stand Alone Complex 1st Gig.

So anyway around Christmas it arrived and from then on I was addicted to it, soon after watching the Series I went out and bought the Movies. Then I got the manga, then I started writing my fanfic, and soon I'll have the 10th Anniversary Boxset arriving here.

Nothing has ever came close to Eva in terms of the effect it had on me and i'm so glad I opted for it as opposed to something else.

Kaysow
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaysow » Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:46 pm

The year was 1999, and sweden's largest group of anime enthusiasts, Mangakai, got together for one of their last screenings, Dougakai XII. On the program, we had "The End of Evangelion", and me and a pal attended. Our level of nerdiness couldn't possibly compare with the real otakus, but Evangelion was the shit at the time so we wanted to check it out. Throughout the whole movie we were bored off our asses, and just laughed at all the sick imagery, loud enough to eventually warrant a "Go watch a Disney-movie instead!" from the row in front of us.

I still chuckle and bow my head in shame when I think of how much I ruined EoE for those people.

But even so, we still heard later on that the series really WAS supposed to be good, so that friend of mine bought the first few dubbed VHS'es, up to episode 8, and we watched it. It was alright, I guess, but since he wasn't inclined to pay for any more of it, I had to find a way myself. When broadband came along, in 2002 or something, I downloaded episodes 9-13. I still don't like episodes 10-13, because it's seriously a fatal slump when you're supposed to be paying nothing less than 45 DOLLARS FOR TWO FUCKING EPISODES. Not that I was paying at this point, but it was still boring enough for me to leave it alone.

Then, I grew tired of anime. All the cliched bullshit became to much to bear, and I though I was over Japan, with it's movies and games (thank you. Devil May Cry 2). Only then, I discovered Great Teacher Onizuka, which sparked some hope. Then, just this winter, I played Suikoden II and watched Azumanga Daioh and RPGs and anime were suddenly GREAT again =D Also, gone were the days with more than 20 dollars an episode; Now I could get series for practically nothing. So I bought a bunch of them, and decided to give Evangelion a shot. The End.

EDIT: Note; I've never actually stopped playing games and stuff, I just haven't been ejoying it very much these past 5 years. Not as much as I do nowadays.

SEELE 08
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE 08 » Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:00 pm

Eva was one of the first animes I ever saw. I'd seen Trigun and a little bit of Dragon Ball Z and that was about it. After seeing a little bit of Eva on Giant Robo Week on CN, and I saw Big O (which is the first mecha I ever liked beyond G Gundam) and than bought the Perfect Eva collection about a year ago and saw the whole thing....I've been a Keel fangirl ever since.
I heart Encyclopedia Dramatica!
THAT WIKI/Aspergers

Faußtin
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Faußtin » Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:58 pm

I guess my case is quite ordinary. A classmate of mine said that "NGE is überGott et cetera..." and I thought I would give it a try.
I gave it and... well... Lets just say that if I wouldn't have met with Neon Genesis Evangelion, I would never have found my salvation I have, I wouldn't be the person I am today. Without Ayanami Rei and Asuka's "No anta baka?!", my life would be meaningless. If I could sing, then I would always sing "Fly me to the moon" to the story itself, not to mention her. :roll: :oops: This is the one and only anime which I'm bound to, like my arm to my body. Neon Genesis Evangelion is the anime in my eyes.
No need to say more, I guess... :wink: :)
:twisted: !!!HELL IS FUN!!! :twisted:

toReason
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby toReason » Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:05 pm

It was recommended to me back in early 2004 but it wasn't until june that I got round to actually buying a disk and watching it.
After I finished Noir (it coincided with my second venture into anime, this time less violent anime) I thought I best try the disk that I had bought a couple of weeks prior.
And so, with the nature of the "to be continued" endings, I had bought the rest of the show plus the 2 movies inside 3 weeks. I watched the last 3 episodes and the movies (both Death & Rebirth and EoE) all in one hit.
After that came about 6 months of trawling the web, lurking around the many fandom pages and reading lots of god awful fan fiction. I had also bought the available 9 volumes of the manga within that 6 month period.
*TBA*

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:39 pm

I've told my tale a number of times on this board, like

http://evageeks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=15390#15390

In retrospect, I think I saw the first manga stage waaaay back, and thought nothing of it; but having taken the slippery slope of watching DVDs on the computer and finding anime DVDs in the local Borders. It was the first title that wasn't girls with guns, though unlike toReason, I did Noir after Eva.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

badc0de
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby badc0de » Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:51 pm

I was browsing a wallpaper-site some years (5 or 6?) ago when I stumpled over the title "Neon Genesis Evangelion". I thought "what's that religious bullshit" (I confused Evangelion with the German word Evangelium ) and clicked it. Then I saw a wallpaper with Asuka in her Plugsuit and my thought were a mixture of "Argh... Help! Japanese-little-baby-cartoon!!!!" and "WOW! *drivel* Nice thing you're wearing!" XD
Soon after that I closed the browser and forgot about this incident (I was an anime hater)
*censored some weird and adult-only stuff including the reason, WHY I done the next thing*
~June 2005: I downloaded the first three episodes of NGE, because I remembered the above and wanted to know what it really is. (Funnily enough that I easly recalled this not-so-easy title after so many years Oo)
I watched the first two and thought "What a crap" (I still hated animes + I downloaded the bad German dub)
I almost deleted all three files, but then I thought "I downloaded it, then I will atleast watch all three...". So I watched also the third episode... after that I wasn't an anime-hater anymore... I simply had to watch everything of NGE...
And it made me the NGE-otaku I'm now. And of course I bought the DVDs, although I had already downloaded everything in DVD quality.
Also I started to watch other animes. :D
My small collection so far: (Everything in German)
NGE Platinum DVD 01-07
NGE Death&Rebirth
NGE EoE
NGE Manga 1-9 (Incomplete)
NGE Iron Maiden 2nd Manga 1-4 (Incomplete)
Non-NGE:
Gravitation Manga 1-12
Love Hina Manga 1-4 (Incomplete, will order the rest at amazon.de in some days)

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:36 pm

I only discovered anime about a year and a half ago, though I'd seen bits of artwork and quotations on "teh intraweb" before that.

Somewhere in the years since I first got a computer, I saw a screencap of Asuka famously Eva-stomping the foredeck of the USS Ramage (episode eight) and it stuck in my head, even though I had no idea what it was. Then I saw somebody on another forum quote Asuka's line about thinking in German, and didn't even realize that Neon Genesis Evangelion was anime; at the time, it sounded like the name of some kind of musical group.

In April of 2005, if I recall correctly, I got my first anime: Mangle Entertainment's release of Ghost in the Shell. While I later came to prefer Stand Alone Complex, I thought GitS was pretty good and started looking around for more stuff to get. The GitS disc had trailers for Mangle's releases of D&R and EoE, which I watched and didn't think much of. Mecha anime didn't appeal to me at that time, plus the trailers featured Mangle's horrible voice acting.

Then, this last winter, a friend from high school gave me his collection of NGE manga as a going-away gift. I read it, liked it, quickly found enough scanlations to fill in the missing parts and started trying to find more.

A month ago, I finally saved up enough for the Platinum thinpak and D&R/EoE dual release. I have been very happy ever since, because NGE was the first fictional work I've ever ecountered to feature characters I can really relate to.

Evangelionfreak
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Evangelionfreak » Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:53 pm

well yu yu hakusho is my fav anime. and my fav character is Kurama, who is voiced by megumi Ogata, also the voice of Shinji. So while researching all of megumi ogatas roles I came across Evangelion. I said that I would see it but didnt. then I saw that a character in my 9th fav anime, fushigi yugi, that one of my fav characters was voiced by Akira Ishida, the voice of Kaworu. So after that I finally saw Evangelion. the first thing I saw was the end of evangelion. I hadnt read any spoilers I only knew the names of Shinji, Kaworu, and Rei. Of course I was 1/2 asleep and didnt know what was going on. i didnt touch the series for another year when I rented vol 1-5 of the manga at the library. then a friend lent me the box set of the perfect collection when it first came out. So after watching the series i was hooked and now I am the Evangelionfreak you know today!
I don't care for Eva-elitists. I don't know everything, and neither do you.

"I'm real tempted to say Kaworu and Evangelionfreak" Rahaquiel-2DIS
"Is that why they call you EvangelionFreak?" DatDude
"I will never understand you, Evangelionfreak. Never ever." Faußtin
"-Shinji is all alone, but Kaworu walks up to him and says, "So it's only us now.". End. YOU[girls]WISH. I'm looking at you, Evangelionfreak."Rahaquiel-2DIS
"Well, that still leaves Evangelionfreak straighter to me. Phew." Reichu

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hunter21 » Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:05 pm

You can find my history with Eva somewhere in the same post that Mr. Tines posted. Now though I have a definite love/hate relationship with Eva. And right now I am leaning closer to hate than love.
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

Darius
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Darius » Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:13 pm

Rahaquiel-2D1S wrote:I don't remember my history with NGE, but I once thought that Rei was the main protagonist, and Shinji was a "side" character.

lol, ya. When I first saw music videos (like the Engel one) and other stuff before watching the series..I thought Asuka was the main character..then when I started watching and saw Shinji..I was like "wtf?!" then when I saw Asuka, I was realllllly happy!
Last edited by Darius on Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mundane
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Mundane » Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:39 pm

Hunter21 wrote:You can find my history with Eva somewhere in the same post that Mr. Tines posted. Now though I have a definite love/hate relationship with Eva. And right now I am leaning closer to hate than love.

Said the same thing about WoW, more than once.
"Evangelion's some heavy shit. I've heard people get into serious philosophical debates on the internet. Then they jack off." -C4

ChronoX
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby ChronoX » Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:56 pm

SEELE 08 wrote:Eva was one of the first animes I ever saw. I'd seen Trigun and a little bit of Dragon Ball Z and that was about it. After seeing a little bit of Eva on Giant Robo Week on CN, and I saw Big O (which is the first mecha I ever liked beyond G Gundam) and than bought the Perfect Eva collection about a year ago and saw the whole thing....I've been a Keel fangirl ever since.

my history is similar in the fact that i saw it first on Giant robot week on CN. about a year passed after that before my dad got netflix and all of a sudden the name came to my head so i asked if i could get it off of there. I did and eventually got the perfect collection and the 2 movies. Now i just read a uber-shit load of fanfiction of it. that also has a funny story behind it.

I was looking for a picture of Asuka for my background and a picture from the classic fanfic "A Child of Love" came up. I clicked it and it brought me to the main site for that story. I've been reading increasing ammounts of fanfiction ever since.
"We are born, meant to die. If I am to die, then let it be with a sword in my hand, my enemies at my feet, and my blood on my body. Come forward, come forward, come forward! And let us all meet in bloody combat."-The Rose Lord, William Rose.

ZeroFive1
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby ZeroFive1 » Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:28 pm

I came across it in my library (My library has an anime section, SOO AWESOME!!), and I said hmm, whatever. That was also the volume where toji loses his leg and arm (D=), so it was really messed up. I actually watched the first volume after the last one, but that happens with a lot of series I watched.

tinmeigut
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby tinmeigut » Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:28 pm

I remember it was 1996. Cable TV Hong Kong bought Eva and showed in the afternoon. I was about 6 or 7 years old and found the mecha very good. I watched that and found it interesting but boring somehow, you know, the final episodes were totally inexplicable to a small child. But still I thought I loved it and started to buy models and comics about it. But when I grew older I started to forget about Eva. Till about a few years ago when the Live Action Movie was announced I retrieved my interest and took a more closer look at Eva. I watched the VCDs again and again and eventually joined the Eva Monkey Forum.

Well that's my brief history with Eva.
If all the world hated you, and believed you wicked, while your own conscience approved you, and absolved you from guilt, you would not be without friends. -Jane Eyre, Chapter 8

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”