Eva Pic Thread 7: Waifupalooza (use spoilers, no hotlinks)

Old sticky threads from different subfora are preserved here for easy reference

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Gemini011
Adam

Postby Gemini011 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:06 pm

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote:Im half jamacian and also half Japanese that doesn't make me either of those though cause i was raised in the uk and consider myself british, so im british

Asuka is german because she was raised in germany and seems to be way more comfortable with her german mannerism and speech than her Japanese ones so i think its safe to say she would consider herself german so she is german :P

That doesn't mean she can't - or even shouldn't - be described as Japanese and American as well. This might not be the right thread to discuss the importance of Asuka's multi-ethnicity though.
Interviewer: How much rewriting do you do?
Hemingway: It depends. I rewrote the ending of Farewell to Arms, the last page of it, 39 times before I was satisfied.
Interviewer: Was there some technical problem there? What was it that had stumped you?
Hemingway: Getting the words right.

It could be just me but I'd rather watch two damaged people help each other stand up than an over-idealized kisskisslovelove sugarbowl. The former has far more "d'awwww" potential.

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Rosenakahara » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:19 pm

View Original PostGemini011 wrote:That doesn't mean she can't - or even shouldn't - be described as Japanese and American as well. This might not be the right thread to discuss the importance of Asuka's multi-ethnicity though.

Don't worry stopping after this reply but Bagheera was just making it sound like Asuka was only american because she had an american father in their posts :P (and now im wondering if shikinami is just german and Japanese or some extra ethnicity because shikinami could have a completely different father, hell manga Asuka was a test tube baby)
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Reiggae
Adam

Postby Reiggae » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:23 pm

4.0 Spoilers
SPOILER: Show
We are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:27 pm

Nooo, don't shoot Gendo
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Rosenakahara » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:28 pm

View Original PostReiggae wrote:4.0 Spoilers

missing an angel core(yeah i will stick to this personal theory until i see it disconfrimed)/eyepatch
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:28 pm

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote:Asuka is german because she was raised in germany and seems to be way more comfortable with her german mannerism and speech than her Japanese ones so i think its safe to say she would consider herself german so she is german :P

That isn't how immigration law works. Trust me, I do this for a living. :D And anyway, it's official -- Gainax has said directly that Asuka's nationality is American. It's in the wiki and everything.

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote:Don't worry stopping after this reply but Bagheera was just making it sound like Asuka was only american because she had an american father in their posts :P

That's how it works. Langley and Kyoko were married at the time of Asuka's birth, so that means she's American per U.S. nationality law. She would also be either German or Japanese, per their respective nationality laws, depending on which Kyoko picked when she turned 20 (as I said, Japan forces you to pick one; Germany doesn't care). But either way the one nationality we're certain of is American, because Gainax said so. Where she grew up doesn't really enter into it.

(and now im wondering if shikinami is just german and Japanese or some extra ethnicity because shikinami could have a completely different father, hell manga Asuka was a test tube baby)

Not really. Her name's still Langley, so her nationality is probably the same (hell, that and her given name are probably the only things about the character that are the same! :lol: ).
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:31 pm

@ Reiggae

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Rosenakahara » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:36 pm

^^
so im technically Japanese?.............i don't know how to feel about that.

And Asuka will still always be german to me :P

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:47 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:That's how it works. Langley and Kyoko were married at the time of Asuka's birth, so that means she's American per U.S. nationality law. She would also be either German or Japanese, per their respective nationality laws, depending on which Kyoko picked when she turned 20 (as I said, Japan forces you to pick one; Germany doesn't care).

My grandchildren were born in and are being brought up in Germany. Their parents are USAian and British, and they have both USA and British passports. They had to get the passports in the right order initially, because the way the rules add up they could only get both nationalities if done one way round (I don't remember which). They could also have had German passports, but under EU rules they had to chose just one of British and German.
Last edited by pwhodges on Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:47 pm

^
Technically everybody is everything considering that we all have a common ancestor.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:49 pm

That's not how nationality works!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:56 pm

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote:^^
so im technically Japanese?.............i don't know how to feel about that.

Not necessarily. You might be both Japanese and Jamaican, but it depends on how your parents handled your citizenship status -- they might have gone through the process to get you British citizenship at a young age. A lot depends on the particulars of your situation. But in theory you should have a claim to Japanese citizenship if one of your parents was a citizen of Japan (not just Japanese ethnically, actually a citizen of the country).
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Gemini011
Adam

Postby Gemini011 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:36 pm

View Original PostChaddyManPrime wrote:
Translation PLEASE! (Especially if they know where the full comic is)

Resolution was too low to identify a bunch of the more complex kanji, so unfortunately no precise translation. Also, couldn't find the full comic, though I didn't look on any of the sketchier image boards; English title is something like "Shikinami-san and Soryu-san and Shikinami-san."

First one:
Q-Asuka: I am Shikinami Asuka Langley from 14 years in your future, the Ace Pilot of EVA Unit 02. I may appear young, but the truth is I'm significantly older than you, so pay attention to what I say.
[2.0-Asuka and TV-Asuka notice Q-Asuka's cat-ear looking hat]
Younger Asuka 1: Those are cat ears, cat ears!
Younger Asuka 2: Does that mean we'll get cat ears when we turn 28?
Q-Asuka (thinking): Well, of course the me from 14 years ago would say that.

Second one:
Younger Asuka (1? Hell if I know, they didn't make Shikinami and Soryu visually distinct): That choker is... what?
Q-Asuka: [No clue, something about the DSS choker.] This Misato Katsuragi from 14 years later arbitrarily had it installed.
Younger Asuka: Hold on! What the hell are you perpetrating here!
(Can't make out the rest, near as I can guess, the Younger Asukas are giving Misato shit about having some kind of weird hobby? Not sure, but Misato gets pissed and as far as I can tell blows up Shinji's head.)
Interviewer: How much rewriting do you do?
Hemingway: It depends. I rewrote the ending of Farewell to Arms, the last page of it, 39 times before I was satisfied.
Interviewer: Was there some technical problem there? What was it that had stumped you?
Hemingway: Getting the words right.

It could be just me but I'd rather watch two damaged people help each other stand up than an over-idealized kisskisslovelove sugarbowl. The former has far more "d'awwww" potential.

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Rosenakahara » Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:07 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Not necessarily. You might be both Japanese and Jamaican, but it depends on how your parents handled your citizenship status -- they might have gone through the process to get you British citizenship at a young age. A lot depends on the particulars of your situation. But in theory you should have a claim to Japanese citizenship if one of your parents was a citizen of Japan (not just Japanese ethnically, actually a citizen of the country).

My dad was a citizen :P

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:25 pm

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote:My dad was a citizen :P

Well then, unless your dad had to have you renounce citizenship to get British citizenship or something, you probably still have a claim. Couldn't hurt to ask and find out!

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:27 pm

@ Gemini

I applaud you Good Sir, thank you very kindly :D I was honestly expecting something funnier said though, I was under the impression that the comic was going to be hilarious.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

Postby ElMariachi » Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:31 pm

^
Well personally I found the ax crazy trigger happy Q!Misato hilarious! :lol:
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:38 pm

^ I do too, I was just expecting the Asukas to be having a funnier conversation, I mean for Unit 01's sake's there are three Asukas in a room, think of the jokes!

Stillborn
Banned

Postby Stillborn » Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:59 pm

So I'm the only one who thought with relief: "Finally he's put out of misery". I guess that was not the intended joke? :tongue:
Another jaded man.
Wciąż stoję nieruchomo, w nieżywym już szeregu. Umieram na stojąco, niech inni giną w biegu.

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:01 pm

^
:rofl: Dammit Stillborn, stop being so adorable.

No you weren't the only one... maybe :shifty:

Return to “Old Stickies”