The cries of the MPE's, English vs Japanese

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Ringworm128
Lilith

The cries of the MPE's, English vs Japanese

•      
  •      

Postby Ringworm128 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:20 am

I'm curious as to which dub people think had the better voice for the Mass Production Evangelions. If I recall correctly the original dub gave them a frog like honking sound while the English version gave them a more monsterous sounding voice. Personally I think both work extremely well, the Japanese version fitted with the silly yet creepy look of the MPE's adding yet another layor of creepiness where as the English version created a great contrast with their appearance while at the same time still fitting with their design.
Chuckman#695701 wrote:Don't you understand? The best way to shelter children from the mind-warping horror that is a pair of perky teen tits is to blindfold them with guts.

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:10 pm

I couldn't be sure ATM since I never paid much attention to the sounds they made.

ApolloIVtv
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby ApolloIVtv » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:03 pm

I didn't really like the ones in the manga dub. They just sounded sort of gave off a "generic monster" sound, and not something as weird or creepy as the Japanese MPEs. The manga dub also got of rid of their sort of bellowing laughter, when they were flying around unit 2, as well as other grunts and noises that added even more of an organic and odd nature to them.

In fact they did that to the evas too. They changed unit 2's final, and very mutilated, cry/whimper to the MPEs to just a simple, deep sounding groan, like all the other Eva's made in the dub, and also got rid of Unit 1's distorted, raspy breathing (when it was about to absorb the lance) completely, and now it's all awkward and stupid and I don't care.

Sorry I just don't like the Manga dub. It's decent, to say the least, but sound effects and sound/line delivery are important, and these are the people who added the stupid, cartoony "splglsh!" sound effect and also Hyuga.

"Damn, haven't de eva herda moderation?"

I'm sorry forget this post.

HeeroYuyIII
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby HeeroYuyIII » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:48 pm

The cries in Japanese are awesome. The English ones aren't too, too bad, I guess. I love when the Evas get berserk in Japanese. Just epic and overshadows actual dialogue from VAs like Yuko Miyamura, who is the worst JP VA of all time and one of the few bad Japanese VAs. Never liked Miyamura.
Target confirmed!

Nightwing
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Nightwing » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:08 pm

Reading these creepy descriptions in the dark while alone....GREATEST IDEA EVER! (thanks brain)
Give me back Ayanami!

heavytread
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby heavytread » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:18 pm

Personally I thought the MPEs sounded cooler in Japanesemostly because of all the grunts and groans they made

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:56 pm

I listen to the EoE dub for Black Hyuga, not for the MPEs.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”