Why are Rei and Asuka so physically stronger than Shinji?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

EmperorDog
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby EmperorDog » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:45 pm

I see to possibilitiies.
1: because toned bodies sell better.
2: Because they're soldiers, so they need to work out, and they had a long time to do that, unlike Shinji. Also, Gendo may had engineered Rei to be stronger too.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:58 pm

Shinji seems to be a bit of a late bloomer. Prepubescent boys aren't noted for their strength.

He's obviously a late bloomer, as I could bend rocks and saw logs with my beard when I was 14.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:58 pm

He doesn't lift

Girls tend to grow faster than boys

Character design goes its way to underline how fragile Shinji is physically as mentally

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:23 pm

All of them are fourteen, but looking at them, one would think they were nine or ten at the most. They're way undersized. And there's no evidence that Shinji is weaker than Asuka or Rei.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:57 pm

Apparent age in NGE depends a lot on which animation studio is animating the bulk of the shots for that episode. For consistency's sake, one should refer to Sadamoto's character design model sheets drawn up for NGE back in the early 90's.

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:07 pm

Press F5 on my memory please...

When is it stated that Rei and/or Asuka are physically stronger than Shinji?
Visit my Eva-figures Youtube channel!

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:59 pm

They're just referring to their body mass compared to Shinji's. Really, though, it's just their lower body mass that is greeter than Shinji's. (That's just how females develop as they grow older.) Their upper body mass seems relatively similar to Shinji's, who should be growing his out sooner or later is we were allowed to see the character grow older.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:05 am

It's also important to note that the female pilots are mostly drawn as 3/4 scale adults, while Shinji is not.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Lavinius
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Lavinius » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:26 am

Because they're sexy girls with nice bodies.
Also all the Bene Gesserit biological metaphysics stuff comes into play. The state of their bodies is with the Evangelion's and Eva treats the soul and body in an Aristotlean way. So of course Nerv should have asked that they were fit.
~ibi cubávit Lamia, et invénit sibi reiquiem~

Gorbatschow
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Gorbatschow » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:36 am

They're psychologically stronger than Shinji or at least are superior in his eyes. He is generally a rather submissive and introverted character and not really the person to revolt against suppression (all ahead Asuka) of any kind and rather indulge.

The character design (fragile, weak) could also be that way to show his psychological condition better.

And we see in EoE that he is physically at least as strong as Asuka.
Avatar: Mugen no Juunin- coloured by me | UserPic: Last month's avatar (Eden: It's an endless World)
__
"Everyone has the right to self-determination and every try to classify a human being as better, dumber, worse or gentical assessed is pure fascism and everyone in this country should actually know that“- Serdar Somuncu

“Intelligent men do not decide any subject until they have carefully examined both or all sides of it. Fools, cowards, and those too lazy to think, accept blindly, without examining dogmas and doctrines imposed upon them in childhood by their parents, priests, and teachers, when their minds could not reason.” - James Hervey Johnson

“Science doesn’t give absolute answers; it only shows the most presumable contingency based on actual, practical or theoretical evidences.” – My physics teacher

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:05 pm

If we wanted to assume that the girls were stronger than Shinji, we could chalk it up to the fact that Asuka and Rei have been training and Shinji is a total greenhorn.

Rodeo
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Rodeo » Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:06 pm

What are you getting this information? Anyway it's no secret that Shinji is a total pussy, still, I bet he's more physically fit than Rei who obviously isn't the healthiest kid in the world. He's clearly weaker than Asuka though, she's a straight A student who excels at everything including sports. There's even a scene in the manga where she beats up a bunch of delinquents using her profound mastery of the martial arts.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:42 pm

View Original PostRodeo wrote: Anyway it's no secret that Shinji is a total pussy

Shamshell, Gaghiel, Sahaquiel and Zeruel want to disagree. And Asuka when Shinji saved her from the volcano.

As for the manga, that scene was completely unrealistic : it's impossible for a thin girl like her to throw a muscled adult like that, unless she was genetically augmented with EVA DNA.

Anyway, there isn't any scenes in the show where it's shown that Shinji is physically weaker than either Asuka or Rei.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:47 pm

View Original PostGorbatschow wrote:They're psychologically stronger than Shinji or at least are superior in his eyes.

They're definitely not that much stronger than him, that's for sure. Rei maybe, but not Asuka. She lasts longer before the break, yes, but her fall is far greater than any of Shinji's as consequence. Shinji bets small and loses small, but he always has chips to play. Asuka puts it all on Red.
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

Gorbatschow
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Gorbatschow » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:57 pm

View Original PostCJD wrote:They're definitely not that much stronger than him, that's for sure. Rei maybe, but not Asuka. She lasts longer before the break, yes, but her fall is far greater than any of Shinji's as consequence. Shinji bets small and loses small, but he always has chips to play. Asuka puts it all on Red.

I guess I've phrased it wrong. They seem way more stable, confident and have generally built up a huge wall of attitudes around them to protect their problems, while Shinji is completely vulnerable. They seem stronger.
Avatar: Mugen no Juunin- coloured by me | UserPic: Last month's avatar (Eden: It's an endless World)
__
"Everyone has the right to self-determination and every try to classify a human being as better, dumber, worse or gentical assessed is pure fascism and everyone in this country should actually know that“- Serdar Somuncu

“Intelligent men do not decide any subject until they have carefully examined both or all sides of it. Fools, cowards, and those too lazy to think, accept blindly, without examining dogmas and doctrines imposed upon them in childhood by their parents, priests, and teachers, when their minds could not reason.” - James Hervey Johnson

“Science doesn’t give absolute answers; it only shows the most presumable contingency based on actual, practical or theoretical evidences.” – My physics teacher

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:28 pm

Asuka and Rei have been training with NERV for a period of time. Shinji was literally thrown straight in an Eva.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:45 pm

EmperorDog wrote:Why are Rei and Asuka so physically stronger than Shinji?

What gives you the idea that they are? :|
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Gorbatschow
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Gorbatschow » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:55 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:What gives you the idea that they are? :|

Especially Asuka appears to be superior to Shinji in terms of self-assurance and fortitude, furthermore we have a lot of scene in which she "overruns" him. These scenes let it appear that ,at least Asuka, is stronger than Shinji, although we never see her actually being physically stronger than Shinji, it's quite the reverse, we even see Shinji lifting up Asuka.

I could understand If someone would assume Asuka is stronger than Shinji, despite we don't see it in the show, , caused by her attitudes, but I don't see why Rei should seems stronger either.
__

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:16 pm

View Original PostGorbatschow wrote:Especially Asuka appears to be superior to Shinji in terms of self-assurance and fortitude

that isn't physcial, nor 'stronger'. and also no, she isn't... she projects such an attitude but is every bit as self-depricating as he is in private and crumbles much faster when the pressure is on.

furthermore we have a lot of scene in which she "overruns" him.

because Shinji doesn't defend himself in such matters, preferrring to try appologies and suplication. If he actually did fight back (and assuming this isn't manga!Asuka) I suspect she would be in for a rude suprise.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Gorbatschow
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Gorbatschow » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:50 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:that isn't physcial, nor 'stronger'. and also no, she isn't... she projects such an attitude but is every bit as self-depricating as he is in private and crumbles much faster when the pressure is on.

because Shinji doesn't defend himself in such matters, preferrring to try appologies and suplication. If he actually did fight back (and assuming this isn't manga!Asuka) I suspect she would be in for a rude suprise.

I guess I phrased it wrong, these are reasons why she seems stronger than Shinji. In fact she probably isn't.
__

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”