Does NGE Attract the Insecure, Depressed, Damaged?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

MisatoCrush
Lilith

Does NGE Attract the Insecure, Depressed, Damaged?

•      
  •      

Postby MisatoCrush » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:38 am

I know NGE is hugely popular worldwide (according to Wikipedia, and the existence of this forum 18 years after the original TV run) so it must have fans across the entire spectrum.

But I'm wondering if certain people with traumatic or unhappy/unfulfilled/regretful lives are drawn to NGE, or once they're exposed to it, latch onto it stronger than people with relatively unscathed lives and "normal" relationship skills.

Or perhaps the mega fans are people with a strongly developed empathy.

Just curious about your thoughts.
I watched the Neon Genesis Evangelion TV show and films for the 1st time in January 2014. Heartbreakingly sad but so beautiful too. I'm here to discuss theories about what happened in the show.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:36 am

Based on my experience with this forum and its user base, a rather good percentage of those who are drawn to Eva are damaged in some significant way: depression, socialization issues, family problems, etc. Online fora being havens for the obsessive and reclusive, a solid chunk of the regulars are Aspies, as well.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:42 am

I guess I fit the bill
*raises hand*

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

MisatoCrush
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby MisatoCrush » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:51 am

People with Asperger's?

Also:
I'm guessing that people who love NGE are able to empathize with the characters.
I mean, that's a huge part of the show, making us care about them and delving into their pasts.

It'd be interesting to consider this question by country instead of on an individual basis.

2 things I've heard are critical to developing a strong sense of empathy: The presence of the father in the household, and unstructured exploration of nature.

I know in Korea (and supposedly it's true of Japan too) the father is largely absent because they work like 10-12 hour shifts and the kids are asleep by the time they get home.

So, hypothetically Koreans and Japanese would have weaker empathy. I wonder how that would affect their enjoyment of the show. I can say confidently that Korean children do not have unstructured playtime outdoors. Not sure if that's true of Japan. Japan seems to be pretty "into" nature seemingly. In Korea the kids are studying 24/7.
I watched the Neon Genesis Evangelion TV show and films for the 1st time in January 2014. Heartbreakingly sad but so beautiful too. I'm here to discuss theories about what happened in the show.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:22 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:Based on my experience with this forum and its user base, a rather good percentage of those who are drawn to Eva are damaged in some significant way: depression, socialization issues, family problems, etc. Online fora being havens for the obsessive and reclusive, a solid chunk of the regulars are Aspies, as well.

Hmm. I don't recognise myself under any of those headings, really. Maybe that makes me lucky!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:33 am

View Original PostMisatoCrush wrote:
2 things I've heard are critical to developing a strong sense of empathy: The presence of the father in the household, and unstructured exploration of nature.

Wow, guess that explains a lot about my shriveled empathy sense.

This forum has all sorts of damaged people but we also have loads of friendly, funny and well-adjusted people. A mixed bag, really.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:50 am

View Original PostMisatoCrush wrote:People with Asperger's?

Yah.

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Hmm. I don't recognise myself under any of those headings, really. Maybe that makes me lucky!

Out of curiosity, what's the reason for your affinity for Shinji?

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:This forum has all sorts of damaged people but we also have loads of friendly, funny and well-adjusted people. A mixed bag, really.

Being damaged doesn't preclude being friendly, funny, and/or well-adjusted. If that's what you were implying here.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:52 am

View Original PostMisatoCrush wrote:I'm guessing that people who love NGE are able to empathize with the characters.

I'll take it one step further. It isn't scared to hold up a mirror and reflect all of a persons flaws back on themselves. As for me seeing characters who are/were just like me. To have all these emotions I been feeling for a long time being shown to me thru a tv show. It was a 'eye-opener' to me, for sure and actually made me re-think many things in my life.

- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

Gorbatschow
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Gorbatschow » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:11 pm

My "theory" would be spitted in two parts.

-The first consists mainly of the already named arguments, addressing identification with characters.

-The second part would be, that (at least according to my experience) depressed or in any other way socially "damaged" people tend to think a lot about sociology, the essential question, philosophy and so on and so forth. And I guess we can all agree, that EVA is an excellent source for discussion, interpretation and thoughts of this kind.

As for my part: I came because of the hype and stayed because of the two reasons I mentioned.
Avatar: Mugen no Juunin- coloured by me | UserPic: Last month's avatar (Eden: It's an endless World)
__
"Everyone has the right to self-determination and every try to classify a human being as better, dumber, worse or gentical assessed is pure fascism and everyone in this country should actually know that“- Serdar Somuncu

“Intelligent men do not decide any subject until they have carefully examined both or all sides of it. Fools, cowards, and those too lazy to think, accept blindly, without examining dogmas and doctrines imposed upon them in childhood by their parents, priests, and teachers, when their minds could not reason.” - James Hervey Johnson

“Science doesn’t give absolute answers; it only shows the most presumable contingency based on actual, practical or theoretical evidences.” – My physics teacher

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:13 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Out of curiosity, what's the reason for your affinity for Shinji?

That's putting me on the line a bit, I guess! If you base this on my choice of avis, note that on other forums I have a randomly served "avatar" which alternates a number of different anime and comic characters (of which Shinji is indeed one of the main ones); but I may have made remarks that support your suggestion as well.

Well, um... I recognise his sense of being put-upon, and I do have a tendency to keep myself to myself - but that's not to the extent of being reclusive these days; I function normally in my job (which is support, so means dealing with people), sing in (and help run) a choir, get lively at parties (though I tend to resist going to them). So the flaws I'm aware of are not to an extent such that I would call myself damaged - it's just where I am on a spectrum of normality which is wider than some people like to admit (for instance, I have considerable reservations about diagnoses of things like ADHD and ASD conditions in some children that I consider normal even if inconveniently hard to look after!).

But I will admit that I would probably have been correctly described as reclusive during my teens*, until I went to university; and perhaps some of my current interest in anime in general is a revisiting of that part of my life to fill in some gaps in my experience.

* (for instance, I never had even a date with a girl before I was introduced to my first wife, by a family friend, so that it was almost an arranged marriage - though earlier I did get to go to the cinema and concerts with a female cousin who shortly after became world-famous...)
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

MisatoCrush
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby MisatoCrush » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:43 am

Wait, what am I talking about? NGE's popularity in Japan is likely magnified by the lack of father interaction (due to insane working hours).

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:22 am

To be truly funny you must know great sadness. That's why I'm such a puckish rogue.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

heavytread
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby heavytread » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:08 pm

Define "damaged"

Although until defined I'd say ya more or less.

especially those with selfesteme issues.

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:09 am

View Original Postheavytread wrote:Define "damaged"

Emotional issues. That would be my guess.

One of the running themes in the show is that many of the characters
were hurt emotionally and struggle to regain trust with others again. Since they were 'betrayed'
once by someone they cared about. Whats to stop another person from doing
the same thing again to them?

So yea.. having emotional damage can really mess a person up.

(One of Evangelion episode titles is called "Hedgehog's Dilemma" and if you look it up,
you can see many of the Eva charterers share this in common)

- Suicidahlia

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:08 pm

I don't suffer from chronic depression, anxiety, loneliness, or anything like that really. I just get sad sometimes. And Eva is kinda there fore that.

At the same time, I don't suffer from chronic BAMF, badassery, pwnage, or "like-a-boss" syndrome either. But Eva is kinda there for that as well. (Until it's not, that is.)

Really I just like challenging material, especially in art. If I just wanted to feel sad, then I would watch Marley and Me or something like that. If I just wanted to feel adrenaline, then I would watch Transformers or something like that.

driftking18594
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby driftking18594 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:19 pm

I watched NGE before I knew what it was about, probably because I was spurred into doing so by a guy on an anime thread in a Gran Turismo forum who kept posting pics of Asuka.

However, the whole theme of the "hedgehog's dilemma" resonates quite strongly with me. I suffer from Asperger's (yes, I did use the word "suffer") and I find it nearly impossible to make friends. The whole thought of it makes me feel miserable and on the verge of tears.

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:23 pm

Peops around here are pretty fucked up, yeah.

(I'm no exception, mind.)
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

heavytread
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby heavytread » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:06 pm

View Original PostDataprime wrote:Emotional issues. That would be my guess

Under that definition, most definitely.

I'll adimit that these characters seem relateable because they're messed up so much

Coldwire
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Coldwire » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:14 am

Is there anybody that isn't damaged in a way?
I could hide familiar in my pain
serve my sorrows in vain
or I could step right outside
and show you that I'm alive
I'll leave you behind...

Gorbatschow
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Gorbatschow » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:20 am

View Original Postheavytread wrote:I'll adimit that these characters seem relateable because they're messed up so much

That's actually the reason why so many people hate Shinji and keep calling him a wimp. Shinji isn't a normal character, he's a realistic character. (at least in NGE) He reacts the same way everyone else would react and not how everyone would except an anime character to react.

The fact, that nearly every character is more or less authentic and "damaged" is a reason why so many people here and in the general fandom are "damaged". I and apparently many others stick to the characters and the show because they (or at least I) feel "understood".
Avatar: Mugen no Juunin- coloured by me | UserPic: Last month's avatar (Eden: It's an endless World)
__
"Everyone has the right to self-determination and every try to classify a human being as better, dumber, worse or gentical assessed is pure fascism and everyone in this country should actually know that“- Serdar Somuncu

“Intelligent men do not decide any subject until they have carefully examined both or all sides of it. Fools, cowards, and those too lazy to think, accept blindly, without examining dogmas and doctrines imposed upon them in childhood by their parents, priests, and teachers, when their minds could not reason.” - James Hervey Johnson

“Science doesn’t give absolute answers; it only shows the most presumable contingency based on actual, practical or theoretical evidences.” – My physics teacher

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”