Kids watching Eva?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

r1cepurin
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby r1cepurin » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:48 am

I saw it one time when I was like, 9, but I didn't understand it that well the first time I saw it :/ I was more interested in Hamtaro and Tenchi Muyo. I still have trouble comprehending some tv shows to this day

Chainsaw Owl
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Chainsaw Owl » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:20 pm

View Original PostNightwing wrote:I cant let my younger brother watch it hes too young (11) and stupid to understand he`d end up just snitching on me and get Mom to ban the show

Precisely the age I was when I first came across the show. If he's anything like me, he'll thank you for introducing him to the most fun-to-watch mecha anime he's ever seen, though a true comprehension of the story probably won't come for a few more years.
Set phasers to thrill.

Ideograph
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Ideograph » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:00 pm

>Implying Neon Genesis Evangelion is for kids

Black Swordsman
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Black Swordsman » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:53 am

View Original PostPrincess Asuka wrote:When I become a mother I'll show my kids Eva along with Sailor Moon and Puella Magi Madoka Magica. I'll start with Sailor Moon and move on to Eva and Madoka when they're around 13 or 14. :D We'll watch it together and I'll explain it to them.

I dunno, watching some of the parts with your mother at that age would be kinda awkward :tongue:

I started watching when at 16, I think I may have been 15 when I got 1.11 and 2.22 though.

Kikuchiyo
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Kikuchiyo » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:11 pm

Evangelion is a strange thing. One moment it is a monster of the week, light cartoon in it's earlier moments which may be suitable for kids.

Then we have some of the darker moments... I'd say episode 16 onwards is not so child friendly.

Then there is the movie. One of the last things I'd ever let a child watch...
"He breaketh the bow and snappeth the spear in sunder!"

Joy Evangelion
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Joy Evangelion » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:43 pm

I think it's important to reach some sort of mental maturity before watching NGE, whatever age that is. Since it seems that most everyone here is in agreement that the characters and their interactions with one another is the strongpoint of the series, one should have probably lived through complex relationships of their own to fully appreciate all of the emotionally heavy things the characters face. An inability to fully grasp the intricacies of the human mind(and heart :tongue: ) or to understand the fact that for a lot of people even making the simplest decision(like what do I want for dinner?) is frustratingly hard just leads to people complaining about and making played out jokes about NGE, i.e. "Get in the robot" jokes, obsessing over the hospital scene, or excessive Shinji hate.

If I saw NGE for the first time when I was 8 or 13 or even 18 I'd probably hate most of the characters, but seeing it when I did(age 23) there's not a single character I dislike. I don't love them all, but I (think I) understand them all.

Like, would an average child with average life experiences be able to appreciate Episode 04 or 20 or 26'? Probably not.

I personally feel bad for anyone who saw NGE for the first time as a kid, but I'm also the kind of person that usually has a close emotional attachment to the first time I see a film, or series, or read a book or listen to an album.
I used to work in a factory and I was really happy because I could daydream all day -- I.C.
And thanks to EVA, I've started like myself and that has made me very happy. Mr. Anno, please keep working on EVA a lot more.
and thank you so much for everything!!

Yaywalter
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Yaywalter » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:47 pm

View Original PostMerkaba wrote:I'm actually doing an experiment with my two children, ages 2 and 3.

I watch a few episodes of it at night, after work, with my wife. One night, my two-year-old came out and sat with us while we watched episodes 21'-23', and he stayed surprisingly focused on what was happening on-screen. So I'm starting to have them watch the episodes with us more and more, and I'm going to continue to do so for as long as I can. I want to see how starting kids out at those ages, and then continually watching them with them for years, affects them as people in the long run.

You should just lock them in a room with EoE playing on repeat. Every single night. Until they turn 18. :lol:

AngelNo13Bardiel
Still Ill
Still Ill

•      
  •      

Postby AngelNo13Bardiel » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:21 am

^ Well, that's certainly going to create a...very interesting person, whatever comes out the other side.
Evangelion fan since 15 October 2002, Evangelion fanfiction writer since 1 April 2004. (FFN) (AO3)
Current avatar: Don't mind Mr. Joel--after all, he didn't start the dumpster fire that is 2020.
Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly. - Franz Kafka
Clones to the left of me, tsunderes to the right...and here I am, stuck in the middle with Shinji. - how I view my experience with Evangelion
-When it comes to Asuka/Shinji, pre-EoE is like moving Mount Everest and post-EoE is like moving the Olympus Mons. Either way, it's moving a mountain. It's just the size of said mountain.-

saintdane05
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby saintdane05 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:07 pm

I showed Rebuild 1.11 to my twelve year old Cousin today, and he seemed okay with it. The only thing that I had to do was skip past Shinji and Rei's initial, er, "Meeting".

Gorbatschow
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Gorbatschow » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:09 am

View Original Postsaintdane05 wrote:I showed Rebuild 1.11 to my twelve year old Cousin today, and he seemed okay with it. The only thing that I had to do was skip past Shinji and Rei's initial, er, "Meeting".

Come on, he's 12, when I was 12 ... well let's not talk about it ... :lol:

I would actually say, that 12 is a rather suitible age for watching the Rebuilds, maybe I'm wrong, but there isn't anything in there that a 12 years old wouldn't be able to handle. I watched my first splatter-movies when I was 12 and my highly sensitive 12 years old brother was okay with Fight Club. (The really bloody scene with Bobby left him cold) Except Kaworu's certain scene there isn't really something unappropriate ... well except the hyper-fanservice.

When it comes to the original show, I would say, that ~16 years is a appropriate age for watching and actually understanding it. If you don't get the meta level, psychological themes and the other not completly obvious themes it may be really boring. I personally wouldn't be concerned about 8 years old watching the first ~12 episodes, the following, as I said, 16 years old if you want to enjoy them, 12 years old if you want to handle them.
Avatar: Mugen no Juunin- coloured by me | UserPic: Last month's avatar (Eden: It's an endless World)
__
"Everyone has the right to self-determination and every try to classify a human being as better, dumber, worse or gentical assessed is pure fascism and everyone in this country should actually know that“- Serdar Somuncu

“Intelligent men do not decide any subject until they have carefully examined both or all sides of it. Fools, cowards, and those too lazy to think, accept blindly, without examining dogmas and doctrines imposed upon them in childhood by their parents, priests, and teachers, when their minds could not reason.” - James Hervey Johnson

“Science doesn’t give absolute answers; it only shows the most presumable contingency based on actual, practical or theoretical evidences.” – My physics teacher

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:38 am

I wonder what do these kids even think of Evangelion after you show it to them?
I'd love love to hear some of their opinions on the characters and such.

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

saintdane05
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby saintdane05 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:18 pm

View Original PostDataprime wrote:I wonder what do these kids even think of Evangelion after you show it to them?
I'd love love to hear some of their opinions on the characters and such.

Exact Quote:
"That was cool."

Life is truth, and never a dream...
All souls know this from birth...
The truth is something that is chosen and grasped...
Something discovered with one's vision and will.
Only by gaining that does the seeker become truth himself,
a cord that connects past and future.

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:29 pm

Well, they aren't exactly wrong.

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

Chelsey
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Chelsey » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:49 pm

I don't think the EoE movie is appropriate for children, necessarily. A lot of it was disturbing, and I could easily see a child having nightmares about it. As for the anime, I guess it would just depend. My boyfriend watched the anime when he was around 8-10, and got freaked out and stopped watching.

I do agree though that it would be interesting to hear what some kids think of it.

saintdane05
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby saintdane05 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:37 pm

View Original PostChelsey wrote:I don't think the EoE movie is appropriate for children, necessarily. A lot of it was disturbing, and I could easily see a child having nightmares about it. As for the anime, I guess it would just depend. My boyfriend watched the anime when he was around 8-10, and got freaked out and stopped watching.

I do agree though that it would be interesting to hear what some kids think of it.

Plus, I think it would be hard to explain the implications of... that part. :zer_sweatdrop:

Life is truth, and never a dream...
All souls know this from birth...
The truth is something that is chosen and grasped...
Something discovered with one's vision and will.
Only by gaining that does the seeker become truth himself,
a cord that connects past and future.

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:46 am

I first watched it when i was 14 or so. Was pretty confused and don't remember thinking much of it aside from a feeling that it was something interesting/worth looking into further.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”