Jaeger vs Evas

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:53 am

View Original PostLairenyX wrote:Is it true that Evas can climb up the side of a sky scraper?
The closest I can remember is in Episode 16 -- Asuka uses an axe to help IIRC.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Jurrasic
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Jurrasic » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:45 am

View Original PostLairenyX wrote:Is it true that Evas can climb up the side of a sky scraper? like kind of the way Spider Man does it?

No. It's still a gigantic multi-ton cyborg. The closest ever was when mentioned above, Unit 2 had to escape from a...let's just say black hole. I am not about to get into the Sea of Dirac math.

But anyway, best thing to do to get a good idea for how Evangelions move around and fight is hike yourself over to youtube and watch some Eva video clips and/or AMVs, they will give you good comparisons vs Gundams as well which is what you seem most familiar with.

Other then that, buy, rent, torrent or otherwise view the actual series, or at least the first 5-6 episodes, that will give you some basic understanding of what the Evas are and why they are that way. Besides, if you like giant robot violence, Neon Genesis Evangelion is one of the best. I think you will enjoy it!

P.S. you can also skip the series (for now) and just watch the first movie of Rebuild of Evangelion, 1.11 you are (not) alone. That covers about the first 6 eps of the series in a 2-hour format. I believe there are a few anime streaming sites running it for free, and if not there is always teh torrents. ;)

Anyway, that's the best advice I can give you. All the comments and posted pics here cannot really convey the real thing until you see it yourself.
"Yes ladies and gentlemen, in France Asuka swears like a sailor and confirms that she's the butch of her apparent lesbian relationship with Mari, Mari insults people that ignore her, and Shinji Ikari tells to Sakura Suzuhara and Misato Katsuragi to go fuck themselves!" -ElMariachi

user-02
Sachiel
Sachiel

Re: Jaeger vs Evas

•      
  •      

Postby user-02 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:21 am

View Original PostKnightmareX13 wrote:Avast! Ye be setting yer sails with no wind lad. Ye be best waiting to the 12th till ye be making bets.
what be that Positron cannon then? That thar blew holes clean through the AT field and the angel.

The AT Field is, in itself, a very interesting case of maddeningly vague metaphysics. We know, for instance, that a true positron beam -- probably well beyond the scope of our ability to construct in the next 100,000+ years, by the way -- would completely annihilate any matter it came into contact with, be it Jaeger metal or Angel flesh. Antimatter annihilates matter, plain and simple.

The only X factor in the equation is the physics of the AT Field. Precisely what type of field it is, what force it exerts or carries, and how matter and antimatter are affected by it, is all sort of a mystery.

Paranoid
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Paranoid » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:57 am

As others have mentioned, there's no real contest due to the AT field. An eva would tear up a Jaeger in seconds, and look much cooler doing it.
I like food.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness. May those who defy their fate be granted glory."-Edel, Princess Tutu

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:58 am

View Original PostLairenyX wrote:Is it true that Evas can climb up the side of a sky scraper? like kind of the way Spider Man does it?

No; in the only example when anything close to that happens, the mech in question is using a large knife and an ax as footholds to escape something on the ground.

fizz450_03
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby fizz450_03 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:01 pm

i concur the eva will tear it apart before anything else, not to mention it's moar hardcore with all the howling bits!
only mankind would be foolish enough to harness the engine of it's own destruction

Jurrasic
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Jurrasic » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:07 pm

View Original Postuser-02 wrote: We know, for instance, that a true positron beam -- probably well beyond the scope of our ability to construct in the next 100,000+ years, by the way -- would completely annihilate any matter it came into contact with, be it Jaeger metal or Angel flesh. Antimatter annihilates matter, plain and simple.

I think you put about 3 too many 0's after the one there. ;) We can already create and magnetically contain very small numbers of antimatter particles. Currently we can only create anti-electrons aka positrons, but with the rapid advancements in particle physics ongoing I would not be surprised if we could manage to contain and utilize antimatter within the next 100 years.

But back to the science-fiction of the Eva world's positron rifle, I think the current SF-theory is that an antimatter weapon would not be a beam but a pulse, and would be jacketed by a magnetic field surrounding the antimatter like a sabot surrounds a shell in a cannon. This field would both keep the antimatter in a focussed form on the inside, and on the outside, deflect any small matter molecules away so that the antimatter dosent explode the second it leaves the weapon. This field would not be strong enough to deflect anything actually solid and would crumple when the target was reached, thus allowing the antimatter to annihilate the target matter.
"Yes ladies and gentlemen, in France Asuka swears like a sailor and confirms that she's the butch of her apparent lesbian relationship with Mari, Mari insults people that ignore her, and Shinji Ikari tells to Sakura Suzuhara and Misato Katsuragi to go fuck themselves!" -ElMariachi

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:13 pm

View Original PostJurrasic wrote:with the rapid advancements in particle physics ongoing I would not be surprised if we could manage to contain and utilize antimatter within the next 100 years.

Hmm. After nearly 60 years working on it, we're still some way from containing a plasma well enough to sustain fusion to a genuinely practical extent, let alone doing it economically.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:17 pm

Of course jaegers are better. Who has ever thought of hunting wildlife with an Evangelion?

Jurrasic
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Jurrasic » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:47 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Hmm. After nearly 60 years working on it, we're still some way from containing a plasma well enough to sustain fusion to a genuinely practical extent, let alone doing it economically.

No question. I didn't say it was gonna happen in your or my lifetimes. ;)

But I do think 100 years is a lot closer then 100,000 years.

Paranoid
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Paranoid » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:50 pm

pwhodges wrote:Hmm. After nearly 60 years working on it, we're still some way from containing a plasma well enough to sustain fusion to a genuinely practical extent, let alone doing it economically.

True enough, and antimatter is a whole other problem.
The thing with antimatter is that, as people have said, it annihilates matter. If you're just creating a couple of anti-matter particles in an accelerator, then fine; only a couple of matter particles will go missing. But there's no way to contain a large amount of anti-matter because it would instantly annihilate whatever contains it.

Personally I'm not aware of any possible ways around this (then again, I don't really know that much about the subject).
I like food.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness. May those who defy their fate be granted glory."-Edel, Princess Tutu

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:34 pm

Usual "who would win" cockbattles just don't work with EVAs because they're simply not actual mechas.

Of course they would win, but it's kinda anal to go and rub it in ppl faces like you would with a superior robot; They're gamebreakers by default.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:34 pm

View Original PostParanoid wrote:Personally I'm not aware of any possible ways around this (then again, I don't really know that much about the subject).

The Penning trap has worked well for small amount of antiprotons at CERN, but I don't think it could be used for sustainable energy production. Besides, it takes a lot more energy to produce those antimatter particles than you would get by annihilating them.
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:04 pm

View Original PostTankred wrote:Of course jaegers are better. Who has ever thought of hunting wildlife with an Evangelion?

Well Evas do come pretty well equipped for hunting, with knives, rifles etc.

And the MP Evas could be considered a case of Evas using spears and teamwork to take down another Eva too mighty for one alone, followed by consuming the remains of their prey as food.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

LairenyX
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby LairenyX » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:03 pm

Superior agility, invulnerable defense, and positron gun that sounds like it can erase anything...

...wow Evas do sounds very powerful. Does not look good for Jaegers.
Nothing here

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:55 am

And we have not even talked about Berserk Mode yet!

And if we compare with the Evangelions from rebuild, we can also add Beast Mode, pseudo-Evolved form and Awakened from(basically a God!)

And if the comparison is with the 3.0 Evangelions... yeah there is not even an argument here!

A little precision about the positron rifle in NGE : it's an experimental rifle, they only have one, is very big(the EVA has to lay it on a support) and consume an immense amount of energy(last time they used it it required to divert the electricity of all of Japan to power the thing!), it's absolutely not among the standard weaponry of an Evangelion.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Nyanlathotep
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Nyanlathotep » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:10 am

View Original PostLairenyX wrote:Superior agility, invulnerable defense, and positron gun that sounds like it can erase anything...

...wow Evas do sounds very powerful. Does not look good for Jaegers.

To put it further into perspective, the End of Evangelion movie involves a series of Evas and the angels they were cloned from destroying* the entirety of humanity in about 5 minutes of movie time.

*not exactly killing them, but pretty much.
開いたばかりの花が散るのを
見ていた木立の遣る瀬無きかな

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:49 am

View Original PostKendrix wrote:Usual "who would win" cockbattles just don't work with EVAs because they're simply not actual mechas.

Of course they would win, but it's kinda anal to go and rub it in ppl faces like you would with a superior robot; They're gamebreakers by default.

Well, to be fair I'm pretty sure most high level mobile suits could roast Evas from afar. You can break At Fields with eg. positron rifle but Gundam beam rifles on average seem to be about as powerful (and way more practical). So basically gundems could just snipe Evas from far away.

I'm basing this on some old nerd rambles, I don't have the numbers of just how much energy those energy beams typically pack but I'm surprised if high grade monsters like Nu-Gundam don't have the required firepower to break through AT Field.

Now Eva-01 from End of Evangelion might be different matter as it's pretty much pseudo-god by then

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:53 am

Do I need to merge this thread into the general versus thread here -- http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/13322/Who-what-could-stand-up-or-defeat-an-Evangelion/?
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:03 am

View Original PostXard wrote:Well, to be fair I'm pretty sure most high level mobile suits could roast Evas from afar. You can break At Fields with eg. positron rifle but Gundam beam rifles on average seem to be about as powerful (and way more practical). So basically gundems could just snipe Evas from far away.

I'm basing this on some old nerd rambles, I don't have the numbers of just how much energy those energy beams typically pack but I'm surprised if high grade monsters like Nu-Gundam don't have the required firepower to break through AT Field.

Actually distance seems to degrade the quality of the positron beam. Take Arael for example. Theoretically if they got close enough they might be able to pierce the AT Field, but there's a chance the Evas would snipe them by then with their own positron rifles/pallet rifles. Additionally, as you said, AT Field strength seems to vary a great deal throughout the series. If Eva-01's ATF at the end of the series is anything like that of Kaworu or Rei (whose ATFs block at all subatmoic particles, even light) then it could probably stop anything that anyone could throw at it.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”