Rei Ayanami

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Evangelionfreak
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Evangelionfreak » Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:28 pm

Best scene with Rei was the dc of episode 23!!!!
I don't care for Eva-elitists. I don't know everything, and neither do you.

"I'm real tempted to say Kaworu and Evangelionfreak" Rahaquiel-2DIS
"Is that why they call you EvangelionFreak?" DatDude
"I will never understand you, Evangelionfreak. Never ever." Faußtin
"-Shinji is all alone, but Kaworu walks up to him and says, "So it's only us now.". End. YOU[girls]WISH. I'm looking at you, Evangelionfreak."Rahaquiel-2DIS
"Well, that still leaves Evangelionfreak straighter to me. Phew." Reichu

Rei_Rocks
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Rei_Rocks » Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:38 pm

That and many other were the best!!!
Rei Ayanami is the greatest anime heroin!!!

Evangelionfreak
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Evangelionfreak » Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:05 pm

Best quote would be "I think I'm probably the third one"

"-Shinji is all alone, but Kaworu walks up to him and says, "So it's only us now.". End. YOU[girls]WISH. I'm looking at you, Evangelionfreak."Rahaquiel-2DIS

Rei_Rocks
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Rei_Rocks » Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:29 pm

Yeah, that was great!!! Another one was when she got mad and told Asuka off: "I wonder, are you only a eva pilot for praise?"

Evangelionfreak
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Evangelionfreak » Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:03 pm

I love it when Rei tells anyone off

darth_mark
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby darth_mark » Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:24 pm

yeah she can come off being bitchy, especially Asuka would take it that way, but i think she was just being frank.
"Let's Instrumentality! <3" - SEELE

Evangelionfreak
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Evangelionfreak » Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:26 pm

darth_mark wrote:yeah she can come off being bitchy, especially Asuka would take it that way, but i think she was just being frank.

she gives people a reality check

Rei_Rocks
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Rei_Rocks » Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:39 pm

I have to agree again, she told Asuka what she needed to hear. Asuka had it coming.

Evangelionfreak
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Evangelionfreak » Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:37 am

Rei_Rocks wrote:I have to agree again, she told Asuka what she needed to hear. Asuka had it coming.

Asukas a bitch. i rest my case

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Timstuff » Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:24 am

Asuka's not a bitch. She acts bitchy, but she's actually just a very hurt girl who doesn't know what she needs, and finds herself lashing out at people. That doesn't mean it's okay for her to be mean to other people, but I do think people should show a little more understanding before brushing her aside as a bitch.

Rei did, in a way tell Asuka what she needed to hear. The thing about Asuka though, is there are times where she needs a reality check (like "I'm the best pilot ever, the rest of you suck!"), and there are other times where she really does need an ego boost (like "Without my Eva, I'm nothing but garbage.") Around the time Asuka truly broke, she was getting a few too many reality checks, and not enough positive ego boosts. While Asuka is an egomaniac in many aspects, there are parts of her life where she really just needs to hear that she has worth.

I would hardly expect Rei to be around for that. She's good for giving someone a cold slap of reality, but it's very hard to imagine her actually offering someone emotional support. Whenever Shinji or Asuka are moping about themselves, you won't see her running to their side. But really, that brings up another interesting polarity between her and Kaworu.

tinmeigut
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby tinmeigut » Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:00 am

She's bitchy but not a bitch? I don't understand. How can you not be a bitch if you're bitchy? Well but that scene in the elevator was one of my favourites. Seeing how Rei satired Asuka really made me feel good. A girl who had too much confidence and ego really need some irony to let her realise she was not that good. But I think Rei should have slapped her back when Asuka slapped her.
If all the world hated you, and believed you wicked, while your own conscience approved you, and absolved you from guilt, you would not be without friends. -Jane Eyre, Chapter 8

Kaysow
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaysow » Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:36 am

Did you not get why Asuka acted like she did? You need to pay more attention to the characters, fapboys :wink:

Evangelionfreak
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Evangelionfreak » Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:22 am

Kaysow wrote:Did you not get why Asuka acted like she did? You need to pay more attention to the characters, fapboys :wink:

i agree totally

Timesplitter 01
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby Timesplitter 01 » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:21 am

Kaysow wrote:Did you not get why Asuka acted like she did? You need to pay more attention to the characters, fapboys :wink:

I agree :lol:

SPOILERS AHEAD

Anyways Asuka has been hurt emotionally since she was a child when her mother died (sorry if I spoilt anything) ever since then she has acted the way she acted during the series (what we get to see).

The only other character I can remember off the top of my head that also displays things similar to Asuka is Anko from GTO ( Great Teacher Onizuka) but her mother isnt dead but she was rather abused by her brother.

Another reasn I mentioned it is that Evangelion is mentioned in the GTO manga and maybe once in the anime
I have too much anime, yet it's not enough. Anime Addict, if it were a drug; I'd be dead.

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Timstuff » Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:12 pm

Really, Asuka suffers from the same kind of abandonment issues that Shinji does, however she deals with them in a different way. If you don't feel sorry for her even after learning all of the things she went through, then you're a pretty cold person.

Evangelionfreak
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Evangelionfreak » Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:18 pm

Timstuff wrote:Really, Asuka suffers from the same kind of abandonment issues that Shinji does, however she deals with them in a different way. If you don't feel sorry for her even after learning all of the things she went through, then you're a pretty cold person.

well i guess im a pretty cold person. I never felt for her durring the series and durring EoE

Kaysow
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaysow » Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:59 pm

I can sorta see why, but just sorta. I saw Steamboy this winter, which I might add was a terrible film in my opinion. That kinda bitch we are presented with there are seldom very sympathic, even if the director tries to make it that way.
I'm just the type who felt for Asuka, and not as much for Rei, but that's a pretty personal thing. You know, with Evangelion being a mirror of yourself and all that.

Legend of the Past
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Legend of the Past » Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:39 pm

For all of Rei's depth, she really doesn't seem to be that good. I mean, what DID she go through to be as silent as she is? She's probably drugged to have her personality subdued. Asuka, on the other hand, has a very tragic, and, in my eyes, frightening. You gotta look at Asuka as someone who needs help, who needs a hug, if you will, just like Shinji. Shinji and Asuka have much of the same problems, but totally different ways of dealing with them-Shinji deals with them by being closed, and Asuka deals with them with being open. When she sees someone who's as much a coward who deals with problem by running away it pisses her off, because it makes her doubt the rightness of her ways. At the same time she's attracted to Shinji, because she feels he has the same problem. Asuka is, in my eyes, the most attractive female in Evangelion both physically, story-wise and in the prospect of her plot.

But I mean, MAN is she screwed. She dies in three different ways-during the nightmare caused by Arael, once by the MP EVAs and once when she gets tangified, if you consider that death.
New Signature Policy

It all returns to nothing...

Rei_Rocks
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Rei_Rocks » Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:43 pm

Actually I feel very sory for Asuka. If there is a character I like as much as Rei its her. Rei has been a favorite sense the beginning hawever. I'd prefer being with her. To say Rei hasn't had any horrific events though is completely false. She was choked as a child. This was because of something she said. It only makes sense that she doesn't talk to much. If it wasn't for that event, Rei would be more like the Rei you see in Angelic Days. Plus some people are naturally shy, but it is the fact she wa choked that probally caused that. Sure she give the reality check a lot, but sh has been there to help. She tryed to help Asuka in the elevator, and when she got smacked she didn't smack her back. She risked her life numerous times for Shinji, and even left Gendo for him. Plus she was even there for Toji in his time of grief.

Also, at some point or another at least Shinji and Asuka had soebody to love them. All Rei had was Gendo until Gendo came along and he wasn't very loving.

Trowa_Ayanami
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Trowa_Ayanami » Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:46 pm

Evangelionfreak wrote:
Timstuff wrote:Really, Asuka suffers from the same kind of abandonment issues that Shinji does, however she deals with them in a different way. If you don't feel sorry for her even after learning all of the things she went through, then you're a pretty cold person.

well i guess im a pretty cold person. I never felt for her durring the series and durring EoE

I agree with you 100% right there.

I just had little to absolutely zero sympathy for the arrogant, egotistical bitch.

The whole series teaches a very powerful lesson to Asuka:

Pride comes before a fall
Spike Spiegel: Look at my eyes, Faye. One of them is a fake because I lost it in an accident. Since then, I've been seeing the past in one eye and the present in the other. So, I thought I could only see patches of reality, never the whole picture. I felt like I was watching a dream I could never wake up from. Before I knew it, the dream was over.

The follower of the Shinji/Rei paring

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”