Rei Ayanami

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:43 pm

Another good thing about Rei is I think she would be a really good listener. Rei never says much but I sure if you talked to her about your problems shed give you some really good advice, not just respond with some standard bs to get you out of her face.

Starasp
Lilith

Re: Rei Ayanami

•      
  •      

Postby Starasp » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:32 pm

tinmeigut wrote:Rei is really the most intriguing character of all. She was an Eva pilot, a friend of Shinji's, or probably more if she didn't blow herself up. Shinji liked her and probably she wanted him also. A mysterious girl who in her heart adored the Ikari father and son. She seemed to be a very sacrificing person in the series. But on the other hand she was one of the keys to destruction who should be blamed for. But watching the scene which Rei used her life to save Shinji from the attack by the 16th Angel is really very touching and from that moment I seemed to like Rei more than Asuka.

/thread
My handwriting is atrocious, so I cannot sign my signature. Sorry for any trouble this may cause.

"We do not experience fear, but we understand how it affects you." -Legion

"The point is that I am now a perfectly safe penguin, and my colleague here is rapidly running out of limbs!" - Ford Prefect, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Ja Ayanami
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Ja Ayanami » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:04 pm

I think Rei is appealing because she reminds us of that sense of hopelessness and depression that everyone experiences in life at one point or another. For those that are fans of Rei they typically invision a scenario where she somehow opens up and makes an emotional breakthrough, this could relate to the idea that people strive to fight against those depressing tendencies.

Rei is everyone's imagination personified. You want to think of her life completely differently than it exists in her reality becuase you want the same thing for yourself. Rei is an 'everyman' when it comes to people's subconscious fear of the dark things in life.

In a phrase, "bad things happen to good people" this is Rei, in a nutshell.
They may forget you if you succeed but who wants to be remembered as a failure

-Me

Halicat
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Halicat » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:05 pm

I always interpreted Rei as being deliberately 2-D, not in the sense she is the otaku-dream or anything, but in the sense that, because she isn't human in our sense of the term, she can't possibly be fleshed out in the same way like Shinji or Asuka can.

I believe her true depth probably lies in something else, she is otherworldly, her understanding [or lack thereof] is different from ours' and her inability to express that makes for a very flat character in human eyes.

I find her interesting because pondering over how her human aspect, which I think is probably only biological, interacts and affects her 'godly' aspect, which is her very essence of being, and makes for an unpredictable character who could grow in any number of ways.

That and she seems to take the 'mysterious loner with a secret and no past' archetype and turn it into something completely different.

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:22 am

I agree with most of what you’ve said.

Halicat wrote:That and she seems to take the 'mysterious loner with a secret and no past' archetype and turn it into something completely different.

Exactly. This is why most characters that try to copy the Rei type fail. They can’t seem to understand that simply being mysterious and quite is not enough. There has to be more to a character then that.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:41 am

What makes you think Lilith even had a personality to begin with? I rather suspect that until Rei1 was created Lilith had no basis in social interaction with which to form any sort of concept of self in the first place.

I also think Rei absolutely is human, though she's generally unaware of her own emotional reactions. Her subtle expressions are a mystery even to herself in most cases.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

EvaRaver
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby EvaRaver » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:42 am

I agree, Rei is human, but she is slowly learning through out the series what it means to be human. She doesn't understand being human until the end, and even then maybe not completely. I think one of the most interesting aspects of the series is watching Rei grow and develop an understanding of herself.
there is nothing left to be said

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:27 pm

Nobody knows what it means to be human; we all just make it up as we go along, playing off others like a freeform jazz session.
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:30 pm

What does Rei like?
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:32 pm

Gendo, Shinji, feeling she has a purpose in life, reading an interesting book without annoying Germans blocking her light, and swimming.

Lucretius
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Lucretius » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:22 pm

ZapX wrote:What does Rei like?

Horse heads.

He shuddered a bit, remembering the somewhat creepy level of detail Kaji had gone into, while rubbing a watermelon in a disturbingly sexual way.

Life is a continuous nut-kicking contest where your turn comes last if ever. -majlund

Proud supporter of Shinji x Sachiel

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

Re: Rei Ayanami

•      
  •      

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:02 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:I still insist that Rei is the most superficially intriguing and ultimately the most two dimensional of all the characters in Evangelion. But I've already made that opinion clear enough already.

... because she's ultimately left up to the imagination?

Also, at Asuka being a "real woman": If "real women" were as immature as Asuka, I'd never talk to them.
The Skirt-Chasing Mafioso of EGF
"we have Bomby, voted by People magazine as the sexiest man alive." - TehDonutKing
If you let me, here's what I'll do: I'll take care of you.

Grimmjow
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Grimmjow » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:04 pm

If Asuka is a real woman, then the human race would die out.

Rei is the most innocent of all the characters. Nothing has corrupted her but at the same time, she knows nothing about basic human emotions because she has never had the opportunity to develop them. Also, let's face it, if you all you did your whole life was hang around Gendo, you wouldn't be the most emotional person either.

EvaRaver
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby EvaRaver » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:32 am

ZapX wrote:What does Rei like?

Furthering her knowledge of quantum-physics through studying. I know its not too far off from what NemZ wrote, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

DevRei17
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby DevRei17 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:54 pm

Yesterday (3/30/10) was Megumi Hayashibara's 43rd Birthday.
(As well as Rei's, who was given Megumi-chan's B-day.)
Happy B-day!^-^
Also known as Cowboy Dev.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:10 am

View Original PostDevRei17 wrote:Yesterday (3/30/10) was Megumi Hayashibara's 43rd Birthday.
(As well as Rei's, who was given Megumi-chan's B-day.)

That's a bit of an inconsistency (lie) done for the sake of 円円円, far as I'm aware. An album called "The Birthday of Yui Ikari" wouldn't sell as well.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

BattleMonkey
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby BattleMonkey » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:04 am

Rei is not a person, she is a plot device.

GasmaskAvenger
Re-Gyption Strut
Re-Gyption Strut

•      
  •      

Postby GasmaskAvenger » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:14 pm

View Original PostBattleMonkey wrote:Rei is a person, but is all too dictated by plot devices.

fix'd for teh justice
Satsuki Kiryuin wants you to turn that frown upside down...
My AU Evangelion Fanfic | My Street Fighter fanfic
XBOX Live: GasmaskAvenger | PSN: GasmaskAvenger
Official "Grindhouse of Evangelion" Discussion, Updates and Cast Sign Up Thread.

DevRei17
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby DevRei17 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:56 pm

View Original PostGasmaskAvenger wrote:fix'd for teh justice

Your awesome Gasmask.
Also known as Cowboy Dev.

tomrule123
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby tomrule123 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:44 pm

One thing I like to say about Rei:
You can't resist it... nor can you run away from it....

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”