Rei Ayanami

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Kaysow
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaysow » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:42 pm

Well that's just sad. :cry:

Legend of the Past
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Legend of the Past » Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:00 am

Trowa_Ayanami wrote:
Evangelionfreak wrote:
Timstuff wrote:Really, Asuka suffers from the same kind of abandonment issues that Shinji does, however she deals with them in a different way. If you don't feel sorry for her even after learning all of the things she went through, then you're a pretty cold person.

well i guess im a pretty cold person. I never felt for her durring the series and durring EoE

I agree with you 100% right there.

I just had little to absolutely zero sympathy for the arrogant, egotistical bitch.

The whole series teaches a very powerful lesson to Asuka:

Pride comes before a fall

Sigh, you obviously didn't get the point about Asuka. Maybe she's not even really all that proud, it's just her way of defending, by attacking. Her case was like Shinji's, except much, MUCH crueler.
New Signature Policy

It all returns to nothing...

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Timstuff » Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:16 am

Shinji may have had to watch his mother die, but that's nothing compared to watching your mother commit suicide, all the while thinking that she's taking you with her. :cry:

Technically, Yui was absorbed by Unit 01 voluntarily, but the mental scar that the death of Asuka's mother left was obviously far greater. Asuka's father ignored her similar to Shinji's, however she did have a step mother who had at least some compassion for her, even if it wasn't enough.

They both had very traumatic childhoods, and I'm not sure if it's fair to say that one had it worse than the other. What's for sure though, is that they're both suffering the same pain, and have their own ways of dealing with it-- neither of which turned out to be very good in the long run.

Rei_Rocks
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Rei_Rocks » Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:33 am

There both very sad characters and all, but isn't this thread about Rei? :) :?

I don't care, I just find ho this happens funny. :lol:
Rei Ayanami is the greatest anime heroin!!!

ZeroFive1
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby ZeroFive1 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:55 pm

Asuka still has no exuse. Shinji wants to face his problems, but Asuka just hides from them.

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Timstuff » Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:27 pm

Many people would say it's the opposite. Shinji seems to mostly just complain, and seems like he expects someone else to come along and fix his problems for him. Asuka actually tries to deal with her problems in a way, but she does not do it very effectively. She essentially tries to hide who she is and forget about her past traumas, and lashes out at anything that could potentially bring down her emotional wall. They are both screwed up kids though, and niether of their approaches worked at the end of the day, and they were forced to face their problems head-on.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:51 pm

Mmkay, my opinion? Asuka is a bitch. "A woman considered to be spiteful or overbearing." Implies unpleasantness. Does it fit? Yes. Asuka has been a total bitch on multiple occasions. When you call someone a "bitch", is there some kind of hidden rule that states "a female can only qualify for bitch-dom if she has no psychological problems motivating her behavior"? Nope. Like most derogatory terms, though, it is a simplification, like if somebody calls Gendo a "bastard", Shinji a "pussy", or Misato a "slut".

I identify much more with Shinji than with either Rei -- whose person strikes up a rather vague and uncomfortable sense of discord with me -- and Asuka -- whose coping mechanisms and self-delusions are like fingernails on the chalkboard of my brain. I just can't relate to so much of it; totally not in my default programming, and the sort of stuff she does automatically I, quite simply, *don't*, or veer away from with a burning passion.

Shinji's constant struggles with purpose and self-worth, the tug-of-war between embracing 'reality' (for lack of a better term) and running away from it, the trap of depression, the obligatory hedgehog status, and so on, are all quite familiar, even though the context is quite different.

I did have one special bonding moment with Asuka, though: See my slightly disjointed essay here about Asuka's childhood, the coping mechanisms she developed as a result, and how said mechanisms only hold her back later.

(It was hard to decide which post to mark as the first. Browse at your leisure, I suppose.)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:09 pm

Timstuff wrote:Many people would say it's the opposite. Shinji seems to mostly just complain, and seems like he expects someone else to come along and fix his problems for him. Asuka actually tries to deal with her problems in a way, but she does not do it very effectively. ... niether of their approaches worked at the end of the day, and they were forced to face their problems head-on.

I think most of this is right, except the highlighted part doesn't quite sit right with me. It would boil down to a matter of semantics and what counts as "dealing with one's problems". They both have coping mechanisms, only Shinji's operate on passivity -- that's how he "deals".

Both methods are pretty crappy, like you more-or-less said, so fussing over which one is "better" is ultimately quite meaningless. One of the more interesting elements of Shinji and Asuka's polarized coping mechanisms, and how they divide fans so sharply, is that, once you strip away all those layers of sediment, you're left with two creatures who really aren't that different.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

DevRei17
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby DevRei17 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:59 pm

I personally think Rei is one of the most, if not the most intriguing character in EVA. This could just be because i'm a Rei fan though...
Also known as Cowboy Dev.

Butterscotch
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Butterscotch » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:44 pm

DevRei17 wrote:I personally think Rei is one of the most, if not the most intriguing character in EVA.

Yeah I completely agree. She is the most fascinating fictional character I ever came across out of all the anime, manga and books I read. I identify with her in ways and I love her image. She is just fragile. I like Asuka too (not as much as Rei ;-p ) especially when she came into the series, she gave the series humour and then she fell apart it was interesting. Asuka is a very realistic person in my eyes as I know people who are like her and I can understand them.

I feel liking the character Rei Ayanami can tell a lot about yourself to me it is like self expression.

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:25 pm

I also agree with you. Of all the different shows I’ve seen, there has never been another character that has resonated with me like Rei has. I see so much of myself in her that it sometimes feels like I’m looking in a mirror when I watch the show.

Another reason why I like her so much is because Rei is an eternal mystery. No matter how hard you try you can never fully grasp who or what she is.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:15 pm

I like how in all 4 pages of this ancient thread, barely anybody went into the reasons why they like or dislike Rei. :pointlaugh:

Anyway, I like the fact that Rei has the whole "two mothers in one" deal with Lilith and Yui going on, and it is nice how she's able to eventually come to terms with herself by retaining her identity when returning to Lilith... However it is disappointing we never really get into her head and find out what her thoughts are on most matters. Though I guess that fits in nicely with Rei being the goddess/mother of human life, she's meant to be a mystery and people aren't meant to understand everything about her, similar to intentionally not being able to understand everything about the Eva.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:58 am

I like Rei because she's a slut.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:02 am

Xard wrote:I like Rei because she's a slut.

Such a dirty whore; I agree.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Allemann
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Allemann » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:11 pm

Rei is the perfect sex doll.

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:09 pm

Could you people try being serious for a change?

Allemann
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Allemann » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:12 pm

child of Lilith wrote:Could you people try being serious for a change?

You missed the subforum.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:17 pm

Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:27 pm

Just because this thread happens to be in chit-chat is no reason to make this tread into a complete joke. I don’t want this thread to get locked. So lets try to come up with some real reasons for liking Rei.

stark93
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby stark93 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:51 pm

I always liked Rei, because I could identify with her. While I was in the military some people, like myself, got all wrapped up in the uniform. It was pretty easy to let that uniform to become who you were like Rei was with being an Eva pilot.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”