The assault rifle

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

tinmeigut
Shamshel
Shamshel

The assault rifle

•      
  •      

Postby tinmeigut » Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:23 am

Now Anno really had some insight into the future. Do you guys discover that the assault rifle used by the Evas are rifles with caseless rounds? I know that the US Military are developing such kind of rifles that uses caseless rounds, like the Crye MR-C. When the Evas shoot no cartridges come out from the gun. It seems the writer had done some research about weapons mechanics.
If all the world hated you, and believed you wicked, while your own conscience approved you, and absolved you from guilt, you would not be without friends. -Jane Eyre, Chapter 8

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Re: The assault rifle

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:51 am

tinmeigut wrote:Now Anno really had some insight into the future.

Anno is a big science fiction fan, as evidenced by a number of things incorporated into Evangelion. The idea of caseless rounds had been around for some time. I recall in Aliens the pulse rifles the colonial marines used were caseless. And presumably the idea existed even before that in other storys. Anno probably took the idea as he said he had borrowed from everywhere. In the instance of Evangelion, it really is functional for the Evas to fire caseless shells, because those shells can fly into buildings and cars and cause unneccessary collateral damage.

BLACKANGEL32076
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby BLACKANGEL32076 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:36 pm

Also note the use of H&K G11s by the JSSDF troops which use caseless ammo.
-...because a lot can happen in 24hrs.
-"Consistancy people, consistancy!!!"-George Carlin

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:02 pm

I thought the G11s were a nice touch, even though it's a little odd that they depicted an intermediate prototype model and not the final G11K2, which had been around for several years when EoE was made.

It is well known that the pallet rifle is essentially an upsized Steyr ACR. While the ACR's distinct and futuristic looks were no doubt an incentive (as with all the other Eva weapons) for its adoption as the apparent standard among Eva firearms, I wouldn't be surprised if it was also picked in part because of the real ACR's good armor-penetrating ability.

On the topic of caseless ammunition, the supersized Desert Eagle carried by Unit 01 in episode 16 (and featured several times in NGE bonus artwork) appears to fire conventional cased rounds. Evidently NERV is not overly concerned by the potential risks associated with having really big brass flying around.

Unit 00's semiautomatic Arctic Warfare Magnum clone, on the other hand, does appear to fire caseless rounds. Go figure.

tinmeigut
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby tinmeigut » Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:27 pm

Caseless rifles are good, but they're not using NATO rounds and the impact is usually smaller than normal assault rifles.

Concerning Eva-01's supersized Desert Eagle, I couldn't understand why Nerv was so mean that they didn't allow her to carry extra magazines... Poor Eva-01, she shouldn't have got into the Sea of Dirac.
If all the world hated you, and believed you wicked, while your own conscience approved you, and absolved you from guilt, you would not be without friends. -Jane Eyre, Chapter 8

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:14 am

The 4.73x33mm DM11 round would probably have become a NATO standard had the G11 seen any significant adoption by European states, though the round's small size does, as you pointed out, raise questions concerning actual combat effectiveness.

As for the Desert Eagle's spare mags, I assumed they were stored in one of Unit 01's shoulder pylons like Unit 02's nail cannon in EoE. The pylons' contents are almost certainly interchageable, though we hardly ever get to see anything but prog blades being carried in them.

Titus
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Titus » Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:10 am

Repeat after me:

"This is my rifle"

"There are many like it, but this one is myne"

"Without my rifle I am nothing"

"Without me, my rifle is nothing"

8)

I am still in the fucking desert.
"I say Evamonkey did it himself. After seeing that Titus had more Eva images than him, he was driven into a fit of jealousy that led him to set this up in the hope of infecting everyone with a trojan that automatically rooted through their harddrives and sending him any images he didnt already have." - Space Penis
"some of the most intelligent people I know are complete fuck ups, and some of the less intelligent ones are incredibly interesting and promising." - The Eva Monkey
"Titus I love you!" - Zugzwang
"TITUS + ADSL = Disaster" - Timesplitter 01

BLACKANGEL32076
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby BLACKANGEL32076 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:09 pm

What surprises me is that H&K didn’t use a 5.56X45mm caseless for NATO use.

Titus, good luck and good hunting in the desert my man.

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:58 pm

The final round was small because H&K's intent was to increase hit probability by having the G11 fire three rounds fast, with the last one leaving the barrel before the recoil forces hit the user's shoulder and disrupt his aim. n order to do that, they designed the G11 so that the action, barrel and magazine all slide backwards inside the blocky outer case. the first shot in a burst pushes the entire mechanism backwards, and it continues to move as the second and third rounds are fired.

Because the magazine is part of the assembly that moves, round weight and size have a major effect on reliability. Additionally, the position of the magazine and action feed angle are such that use of a round with dimensions like those of 5.56 NATO would be cumbersome and uncomfortable, at best. The nature of most 5.56 assault rifle designs is such that adapting them for caseless ammunition would be significantly more costly than simply ordering a new weapon with a new caliber to go with it.

That said, I'd rather take my chances with a G3A3.

BLACKANGEL32076
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby BLACKANGEL32076 » Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:13 pm

That is the first time I've ever heard of 5.56X45mm being too big.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”