What would you change about Evangelion?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:30 am

The only thing I'd change would probably be the lack of focus on teh Rei through out the series and have her develop relationships with characters who are NOT Shinji and Gendo. I have no problems with LAS being "canon" or the "true" Evangelion ship but like come episode 8, Rei is pretty much irrelevant, save for key moments in certain episodes. She's pretty much regulated to a plot device, for the most part. After so much focus on her and her relationship with Shinji the first 6-7 episodes!

:rei_meh:

Lord ikari shinji
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Lord ikari shinji » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:44 am

I wouldn't change a damn thing, Eva. was perfect
lord Ikari solo's all less-er beings
----------------------------------------
MY OTP:
~hardcore Shinji/Asuka shipper`
-LAS 4 life-

TheFourthReplicant
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby TheFourthReplicant » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:58 am

IMO I think Paint It Black by The Rolling Stones would make for a good end theme to EoE.

I also think it would be cool to see a alternate dark synth score for NGE.

Other than music I feel that NGE does not really need to change.

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby esselfortium » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:17 pm

The community.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:20 pm

View Original PostTheFourthReplicant wrote:IMO I think Paint It Black by The Rolling Stones would make for a good end theme to EoE.

To cliche. I'd go with "Have You Seen Your Mother Baby?"
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:55 pm

I would have Unit 03 be successfully retrieved with no injury to Touji in episode 18, followed by Unit 04 being pulled out of the Dirac Sea and Unit 05 being a proper Eva instead of a hideous dong monster with wings. They would then be piloted by Kensuke and Hikari respectively, and with the 6 Mighty Morphin' Eva Rangers the show would enter a completely new direction as Evangelion: Super Anti-Kaiju Defence Force NERV, with all 6 Evas fighting against monsters, Kaiju and robots from every series ever, from Ultraman monsters to Godzilla Kaiju. Mari and Kaworu would be introduced later with their own Evas. The final monster would be Mana Kirishima in a monstrously powerful version of one of the Harpies. After that the show would move into the second season which is much the same but in SPAAAAAAAAACE.

Also, harem ending.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:17 pm

Huh. I'd actually like to crank up the shipping and tie it strongly into all the incestuous vibes to make it a giant knot of dramatic tension.

Asuka relegated to side character... maybe a classmate, not a pilot at all? Perhaps she attaches herself to Shinji on his arrival as his girlfriend whether he likes it or not. Have her be rebuffed eventually, perhaps jealous of time he spends with Rei, and then she crushes on Kaworu, the pilot of unit 02... who is interested in Shinji AND Rei. Kensuke crushes on her, pathetically shot down over and over, but they still hang out for gaming-related reasons much to Toji's annoyance... though that also gives Hikari a reason to tag along. Also perhaps she's Aoba's younger sister?

Develop Rei much more as a charecter. Keep the awkwardness between her and Shinji longer, including giving her more annoyance at him taking 01 from her at first. Make them actually deal with Shinji's percieved favoritism of Rei by Gendo. Incredibly awkward scenes of Rei, Shinji and Gendo interaction, perhaps at Yui's grave? More of this in general, less action arc shenanigans.

Make Kaworu explicitly related to Misato and essentially replaces Asuka's roll in the series. Lives with her and Shinji, bluntly comments on Misato's flirting with Shinji (while doing the same himself more slyly), creates all sorts of homophobic awkwardness. I like the idea of him also having a strong love/hate dynamic with Rei in that they don't like each other at all but are inexplicably attracted to each other, with poor Shinji stuck in the middle as both peacekeeper and mutual object of affection for them to fight over. I want to see Kaworu and Kaji match wits as well.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

TheFourthReplicant
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby TheFourthReplicant » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:49 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:To cliche. I'd go with "Have You Seen Your Mother Baby?"

What a nice and catchy song. I like it. Have a internet.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:22 pm

@ NemZ : at this point I think it would be easier to list the things that weren't changed! :lol:
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:36 pm

The only thing I'd change is to give Shinji at least a somewhat happy ending.

But lets be honest, Eva's issues are what make it so compelling. It wouldn't likely be as compelling or memorable as it is if it didn't have all these issues.

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:37 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Make Kaworu explicitly related to Misato and essentially replaces Asuka's roll in the series. Lives with her and Shinji, bluntly comments on Misato's flirting with Shinji (while doing the same himself more slyly), creates all sorts of homophobic awkwardness. I like the idea of him also having a strong love/hate dynamic with Rei in that they don't like each other at all but are inexplicably attracted to each other, with poor Shinji stuck in the middle as both peacekeeper and mutual object of affection for them to fight over. I want to see Kaworu and Kaji match wits as well.

LMAO, that would make Kaworu x Rei x Shinji SO cannon. But if he's replacing Asuka's role as the pilot Eva Unit-02, wouldn't that mean Kaworu would have to take his machismo up a notch?

:lol:

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:58 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Huh. I'd actually like to crank up the shipping and tie it strongly into all the incestuous vibes to make it a giant knot of dramatic tension.

Asuka relegated to side character... maybe a classmate, not a pilot at all? Perhaps she attaches herself to Shinji on his arrival as his girlfriend whether he likes it or not. Have her be rebuffed eventually, perhaps jealous of time he spends with Rei, and then she crushes on Kaworu, the pilot of unit 02... who is interested in Shinji AND Rei. Kensuke crushes on her, pathetically shot down over and over, but they still hang out for gaming-related reasons much to Toji's annoyance... though that also gives Hikari a reason to tag along. Also perhaps she's Aoba's younger sister?

Develop Rei much more as a charecter. Keep the awkwardness between her and Shinji longer, including giving her more annoyance at him taking 01 from her at first. Make them actually deal with Shinji's percieved favoritism of Rei by Gendo. Incredibly awkward scenes of Rei, Shinji and Gendo interaction, perhaps at Yui's grave? More of this in general, less action arc shenanigans.

Make Kaworu explicitly related to Misato and essentially replaces Asuka's roll in the series. Lives with her and Shinji, bluntly comments on Misato's flirting with Shinji (while doing the same himself more slyly), creates all sorts of homophobic awkwardness. I like the idea of him also having a strong love/hate dynamic with Rei in that they don't like each other at all but are inexplicably attracted to each other, with poor Shinji stuck in the middle as both peacekeeper and mutual object of affection for them to fight over. I want to see Kaworu and Kaji match wits as well.

All of this is terrible and you should be made to call a hunt, forbidden to return until you find and sacrifice a white hart to the gods to seek forgiveness for your horrid blasphemies.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

heavytread
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby heavytread » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:03 pm

Well for starters if I could change something Shinji would be a girl and Rei would show some real emotions more :lol:

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:47 am

Dealing with the original series and end only (have not seen rebuild just yet)

1.) perfect balance of fan service be fucking dammed, Misato Needed more nudity.
Didn't need to be comedic or tasteless could have been done very beautifully, example the scene where she ponders her chest scar while dressing could have had her breast exposed in the shot, a light In the darkness, she has her scars but she preserves she is still beautiful. That sounds very hollow but maybe look at it like this, it could be a medaphor for her personality, she as her past with her father and her lust=intimacy problems but nether have consumed her, she is still the most caring person on the show, she truly wants to help and care for Shinji.

2.) A explanation of W... H... Y... In gods name Asuka is the one person Shinji seems drawn to.
He had Misato come to him and attempt to comfort him after Rei's death (I mantain there was nothing sexual in her attempt), and he freaks the hell out on her just for her holding his hand. And yet when he is in a even worse state after killing kaworu, he goes to Asuka who is in a Fucking coma for comfort.
Even if he did snap her out of the coma, Asuka JUST STARVED HERSELF HALF TO DEATH CUS YOU SURPASSED AND UPSTAGED HER DUMBASS.

3.) I would have removed the line during that scene of him saying he was now scared of Misato and Rei

4.) I think....................... I would have removed the 'Kimochi warui' line completely. It completely negates her gesture of kindness and contact in touching his face. And leaves us at the possibility of him resuming strangling her after it.

5.) if I had to keep the attempted strangulation in, how I would have ended the scene, would be this
-Asuka touches his face, he stops squeezing immediately.
-he pulls back and moves off her
-tears flow from his eyes but he does not full on start sobbing like the in the actual scene
-asuka's eye rolls down at him in a bizarre look of pity and understanding
-shinji says 'I'm sorry, I'm so sorry'
-Asuka rolls her eyes and sighs and maybe even slightly smirks (harkening back to her scolding him over apologizing for everything)
-CUTS TO BLACK

6.) I adore the kiss scene between Misato and Shinji but I would have toned down him proclaiming that he always ends up hurting EVERYONE, I mean seriously the single person he phisically choose to hurt was kaworu, which was justified.......... That's like it man.
Toji loosing his leg was gendos fault pure and simple, no he used shinjis hands to do it, Eva unit 1 IS NOT Shinji, there for Shinji is at fault in NO way
And he never harmed Asuka (barring the opening) she herself choose to starve herself cus she in her twisted mind felt humiliated by Shinji SAVING HER LIFE.

7.) if they HAD to push the Shinji + Asuka angle I would have given them more scenes of genuine happiness together.

8.) I would have had Shinji respond better and more when Misato is kind to him and attempts to comfort him.
I am not a shipper, never have been with just about any other shows and stuff that I have watched/read. But I totally and completly ship Shinji & Misato together probably more than any other characters ever.
But as it is I can't really say I would change much about there relationship other than shinjis not being open to her cus IMO the series and especially the end would not work the way it does and would not end the way it does. :um:

AngelNo13Bardiel
Still Ill
Still Ill

•      
  •      

Postby AngelNo13Bardiel » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:36 am

Nothing.

Oh, did you expect me to say something else? No really, think about it: if I (and many others) had gotten what I wanted out of Eva (whether that be LAS/LRS/clearer answers/etc.), would we still be here so long afterwards? Would it still have such a magnetic, inescapable pull? I highly doubt it.

The pursuit of something that either never happened or was left vaguely explained/unexplained, it is its own reward...in a way.

I speak of NGE/EoE in this regard, by the way: I'll wait until after Final to make such a judgement call on Rebuild.
Evangelion fan since 15 October 2002, Evangelion fanfiction writer since 1 April 2004. (FFN) (AO3)
Current avatar: Don't mind Mr. Joel--after all, he didn't start the dumpster fire that is 2020.
Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly. - Franz Kafka
Clones to the left of me, tsunderes to the right...and here I am, stuck in the middle with Shinji. - how I view my experience with Evangelion
-When it comes to Asuka/Shinji, pre-EoE is like moving Mount Everest and post-EoE is like moving the Olympus Mons. Either way, it's moving a mountain. It's just the size of said mountain.-

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:06 am

View Original PostRay wrote:The only thing I'd change is to give Shinji at least a somewhat happy ending.
That was the TV ending.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:24 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:That was the TV ending.

No we want him to have a happy ending in the real physical world, that was in his mind.
:um:

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:28 pm

Actually it was in the godhead that was EoTV instrumentality cough and EoE instrumentality imo cough. But even if it was entirely a mental construct so what? Happiness is happiness.
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:26 pm

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:Even if he did snap her out of the coma, Asuka JUST STARVED HERSELF HALF TO DEATH CUS YOU SURPASSED AND UPSTAGED HER DUMBASS.

:irked: I really wish people would stop saying this. Asuka was not in a coma, she was medically sedated after her suicide attempt. Said attempt was not the result of Shinji upstaging her (though that started the downward spiral), it was the result of her being mindraped and losing the ability to sync with Eva at all, after which Nerv threw her out like trash. Kaji's death didn't help.

An awful lot of really bad shit had happened to her by that point, she didn't try to kill herself over a bruised ego.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:23 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote::irked: I really wish people would stop saying this. Asuka was not in a coma, she was medically sedated after her suicide attempt. Said attempt was not the result of Shinji upstaging her (though that started the downward spiral), it was the result of her being mindraped and losing the ability to sync with Eva at all, after which Nerv threw her out like trash. Kaji's death didn't help.

An awful lot of really bad shit had happened to her by that point, she didn't try to kill herself over a bruised ego.

Fair enough
That said I really don't recall any scenes of her dealing with Kaji's death + when she found out him and Misato where seemingly back together she seemed to kinda just have written him off.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”