Fave Couple

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:06 am

Threesomes?

In a fanfic, yes. Otherwise our two girls will surely get into a real catfight over our boy, moreso than the elevator confrontation.

But if you're going to ask me, although I favor A/S and K/R arrangements, I don't mind about having S/R and A/K; I respect the wishes of those who like such pairings.

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

Postby esselfortium » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:09 pm

[quote="Shinji":n6nfo0eg][/quote:n6nfo0eg]
Finally, you say something I can get behind.

BiQ
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

Postby BiQ » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:20 pm

View Original Postsoul.assassin wrote:Threesomes?

In a fanfic, yes. Otherwise our two girls will surely get into a real catfight over our boy, moreso than the elevator confrontation.

This, and I honestly think that there really isn't enough Shin-man to go around. Asuka alone is already stretching it, not to mention the fact that she isn't going to share. Especially not with Rei.

...what do you mean this wasn't serious? :chuckles:
The art of being grown up, the dirty little secret nobody lets on about, is that it's all about getting comfortable with acting the part, and reaching that point where you stop giving a fuck, and do stuff that needs to be done, because it just needs doing, and ain't nobody else going to do it for you. -Mr. Tines

Shinji
Lilith

Postby Shinji » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:14 pm

You guys probly have a point. I mean, in Shinji's fantasy world he didn't even exist. He could've imagined a world where he goes to school with tons of chicks (Abenobashi Shopping Arcade?) but instead he chooses not to exist. What a wuss...
It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!

Gamertag:Undead Safety

Currently playing Cod Black Ops: Zombies

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Timstuff » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:11 pm

View Original PostShinji wrote:You guys probly have a point. I mean, in Shinji's fantasy world he didn't even exist. He could've imagined a world where he goes to school with tons of chicks (Abenobashi Shopping Arcade?) but instead he chooses not to exist. What a wuss...

Did Shinji actually not exist in his fantasy world though, or did he simply not have physical form? Whenever the room becomes cold and you feel an uncomfortable stare, Ghost!Shinji is watching!

DeviantArt profile being re-invented... Check back later.

Shinji
Lilith

Postby Shinji » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:39 pm

View Original PostTimstuff wrote:Did Shinji actually not exist in his fantasy world though, or did he simply not have physical form? Whenever the room becomes cold and you feel an uncomfortable stare, Ghost!Shinji is watching!

Note to self: Never get mind raped into a coma and put into a hospital where Shinji can find me
It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!

Gamertag:Undead Safety

Currently playing Cod Black Ops: Zombies

Chrad
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby Chrad » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:30 am

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:I'm okay with this. Not exactly in a sexual sense, but they're an interesting pair and I wish we got a better feel for how they interact, given that they are each other's primary day-to-day emotional attachment.

I agree. I loved the scene where they dined together in Rebuild. I wish we had more of that.

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:Of course I'm saying this referring to the ones that think that A/S is the CORRECT shipping, the only possible one (and not the only possible one for them, the only right one for everyone)..."you're wrong because... your character is a symbolically his mother LOL".
I brought this up because, as you say yourself, Rei becomes less character and more symbol as the show progresses.
View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:What I was trying to say is that Rei was a character until Anno decided to change her into something else (something that I never really liked but I suppose that it's my own problem), until that point any relationship between them was possible. It's a series of plot's events that prevented this relationship to grow (it was something beyond their own power... but maybe things will change in Rebuild, maybe).

Sure, it was hypothetically possible (though really, a romantic relationship between Shinji and anyone was impossible because of his social problems, doubly so with another social retard like Rei or Asuka), but Evangelion is not real life, where unpredictable occurrences can steer life in many possible directions. Evangelion is a fictional world with an author. Everything happens for a reason. That plot events intervened to prevent their relationship from growing isn't just random, it's inextricably linked with the story Anno wanted to tell and the message he wanted to send. Couple that with Rei's development into a Freudian mother goddess culminating in EoE and the whole "goodbye, mother" theme, and you get where the "incorrect pairing" line of thinking comes from. It's not about arguing who makes the best couple, but analysing why things happen the way they do and how it fits into what Anno was trying to express.

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:The reason that caused her to return aren't so unimportant in my opinion. They could get an hint of what could happen; of course she can't avoid him but she could even ending up strangling him while he's sleeping...
Shinji awoke to find Asuka by his side. She could have avoided him and laid down far away in the expanse of sand, but she didn't. That's not what she wanted after returning from instrumentality.
Sure, she might strangle him while he sleeps, just as they might both be killed by a freak meteor shower five minutes after the end of the film. But it wouldn't make any thematic sense.

View Original PostLament wrote:I had a climpse of hope that maybe Shinji finally understood something after the conversation with Kaworu and Rei. But after that he goes and tries to strangle Asuka and I thought that perhaps I was being too optimistic :| Actually, for both of their sakes, I hope other people will appear. Because there is a fair chance that Asuka and Shinji might kill each other before pairing up, as we see in EoE ending.

"In the end, I'm just realizing the obvious, over and over again..."
Strangling Asuka shows he had forgotten the message at the end of instrumentality (you have to live with pain), but he learns it once again with Asuka's caress.
Now that Shinji's been brought back down to his senses and is spending his time with another, I don't see the scenario playing out again. The whole point of leaving instrumentality is that interaction with others is good, even if it hurts you. Killing Asuka was what triggered instrumentality. It symbolizes running from pain. Conversely, learning to live with each other would be putting the message into practice.

Miuzaki
Lilith

Postby Miuzaki » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:58 pm

I would like to say i have a favorite couple but thats just way too fast, im still in massive theroetesizeing stage to even find out what the characters are even thinking about eachother. Eva is in the deep end way to far for me to start thinking about THIS kinda stuff this early.
Lament wrote:The thruth is, we don't know what will happen after the ending. You can hope but I don't see the ending to lead anything romantic (if that was the point, I'm sure the ending would have been a little different). I had a climpse of hope that maybe Shinji finally understood something after the conversation with Kaworu and Rei. But after that he goes and tries to strangle Asuka and I thought that perhaps I was being too optimistic Actually, for both of their sakes, I hope other people will appear. Because there is a fair chance that Asuka and Shinji might kill each other before pairing up, as we see in EoE ending.

The reason Shinji tried to strangle her is because when he materialized he still had his mind on the things Asuka said earlier. "Id rather die than do it with you..." He REMATERIALIZED, his mind wasint in the right place. But when Asuka put her hand on his cheek he remembered what Rei and kowru said. If you examine it carefully its a very good ending. It tells us that the characters personalies are greatly improving and there will be a happy end to EVA. It just doesint show us. Bad thing is some pictures that flash on screen and some dialouge suggest that Rei will no longer exist after EOE.

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:36 pm

View Original PostChrad wrote:Sure, it was hypothetically possible (though really, a romantic relationship between Shinji and anyone was impossible because of his social problems, doubly so with another social retard like Rei or Asuka), but Evangelion is not real life, where unpredictable occurrences can steer life in many possible directions. Evangelion is a fictional world with an author. Everything happens for a reason. That plot events intervened to prevent their relationship from growing isn't just random, it's inextricably linked with the story Anno wanted to tell and the message he wanted to send. Couple that with Rei's development into a Freudian mother goddess culminating in EoE and the whole "goodbye, mother" theme, and you get where the "incorrect pairing" line of thinking comes from.

Shouldn't you read the title once again? It's Fave Couple, make a "which couple is more coherent with the author's message" thread if you really care about it.
View Original PostChrad wrote:It's not about arguing who makes the best couple, but analysing why things happen the way they do and how it fits into what Anno was trying to express.

And Evangelion Discussion is THIS WAY.
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

Postby esselfortium » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:20 pm

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:Shouldn't you read the title once again? It's Fave Couple, make a "which couple is more coherent with the author's message" thread if you really care about it.

And Evangelion Discussion is THIS WAY.

If you're going to backseat moderate, you should probably follow your own rules. It's okay for you, Lament, and others to post about why you don't think A/S could work, but as soon as someone else responds to say otherwise you tell them to get out of the thread. Okay then

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:40 pm

View Original Postesselfortium wrote:If you're going to backseat moderate, you should probably follow your own rules. It's okay for you, Lament, and others to post about why you don't think A/S could work, but as soon as someone else responds to say otherwise you tell them to get out of the thread. Okay then

Am I breaking my own rules? I said before that this isn't the place to discuss which pairing is better (for everyone, and not that it's only your favourite one which should be the topic of this discussion) and especially to analyse the impossibility of some relationship because of their symbolic or thematic value so I guess that I'm not breaking my own rules at all.
There's an other section and there are other threads to discuss if Rei and Shinji had or didn't have a sentimental relationship of some kind and to sustain the largely spread thesis that they can't have one because the author wanted otherwise and changed Rei from a character to a symbolical figure.
So let’s make a wish.
No matter how many times

Lament
Lilith

Postby Lament » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:25 pm

View Original PostMiuzaki wrote:If you examine it carefully its a very good ending.

... And I never said it isn't.

But anyway, this is for another thread, like I said before. I have to look out the general thread for the ending, I've only found the S/A one.

But back to the topic (fave couples)! Mmm, I read that Kom Susser Tod is supposed to be a S/A song. Okayyy. Does every pairing have their "own" song? Because then Ode to Joy is totally K/S song. What is Shinji/Rei song...? According to fans. I'm not so familiar with this ship actually (teh squickiness...).

Edit: I forgot how people get offended here if you don't ship S/A. And I think Hyper Shinchan is right and the ending debate doesn't belong here (sorry, got carried away with my previous post, mods feel free to move it). I'm pretty sure I've talked about the ending in the gen EoE ending thread more than enough so I'll spare this thread.

And sweeties, I don't really care if you post 50 reasons why K/S won't work and everyone thinks it's ok anyway (I think someone claimed to have done it). But I think that should go for other pairings as well -S/A included.
Last edited by Lament on Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
In other words...

tehprognoob
Ireul
Ireul

Postby tehprognoob » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:33 pm

Er, pretty standard preferences...
:asuka_happy: + :shinji_eyebrow:
:toji_sulk: + :hikari_happy:
Rei + Kawuro + N2 Mine + Lance of Longinus
JSSDF old guy + Other JSSDF old guys
Harpies + each other
Mana + one or the other T-RIDEN-T pilot
Mari Makinami Illustrious + Kensuke (Femdom type)

Nothing special, weird or creepy, right?

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:43 pm

View Original PostLament wrote:I'm not so familiar with this ship actually (teh squickiness...).[/size]

I never heard that word until this thread but it's not squickiness, it's POKAPOKAness.
Anyway in the Rebuild I'd say that "Tsubasa wo Kudasai" is probably the "R/S (un)official hymn" but I think that there wasn't something like that in NGE/EoE.
View Original PostLament wrote:Edit: I forgot how people get offended here if you don't ship S/A.

Same here, I've been told about terrible times of A/S dictatorship, I was thinking that things changed a little lately but there's always a small but strong group of hardcore shippers that make the "reasoning":
"A/S=canonical shipping ergo everything else is simply wrong, you guys must understand that."
So let’s make a wish.
No matter how many times

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:46 pm

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:Same here, I've been told about terrible times of A/S dictatorship, I was thinking that things changed a little lately but there's always a small but strong group of hardcore shippers that make the "reasoning":
"A/S=canonical shipping ergo everything else is simply wrong, you guys must understand that."

Tch. It's not that other pairings aren't possible, just that they aren't supported by the series as described. You can still do them, it just requires more heavy lifting to make them work.

(though personally I think Rei and Karoru have better things to do, but that's just me.)

Lament
Lilith

Postby Lament » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:05 pm

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:I never heard that word until this thread but it's not squickiness, it's POKAPOKAness.
Anyway in the Rebuild I'd say that "Tsubasa wo Kudasai" is probably the "R/S (un)official hymn" but I think that there wasn't something like that in NGE/EoE.

Oh, I see. So there is a song for everyone. Don't remember that one, must YouTube it ->

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Tch. It's not that other pairings aren't possible, just that they aren't supported by the series as described. You can still do them, it just requires more heavy lifting to make them work.

(though personally I think Rei and Karoru have better things to do, but that's just me.)

EVERY pairing needs heavy lifting. And I think Shinji and Asuka has better things to do as well but oh well. The easiest way to go is no pairings but that wouldn't be very fun.

...But that's beside the point, this is fave couple thread where people ship Lance of Longius x Rei. No ship is better than another here. There are far more controversal ships around but no one bats an eyelid but everyone who dares to say they like K/S gets the stick. And dammit, I rather want to be unconvenient/controversal because I ship K/S (because apparently I have to be... here anyways), not because I don't ship S/A. But anyway, everyone else seems to be taking this shipping business more seriously than me, so I think I'll hit the sack ->
In other words...

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:13 pm

View Original PostLament wrote:EVERY pairing needs heavy lifting. And I think Shinji and Asuka has better things to do as well but oh well. The easiest way to go is no pairings but that wouldn't be very fun.

I don't know if that's easiest, but I agree that all require heavy lifting. S/A just requires less than most others, given how the series ends.

...But that's beside the point, this is fave couple thread where people ship Lance of Longius x Rei. No ship is better than another here. There are far more controversal ships around but no one bats an eyelid but everyone who dares to say they like K/S gets the stick. And dammit, I rather want to be unconvenient/controversal because I ship K/S (because apparently I have to be... here anyways), not because I don't ship S/A. But anyway, everyone else seems to be taking this shipping business more seriously than me, so I think I'll hit the sack ->

In all honesty, I see no real issues with shipping S/K. There is, at least, precedent for it in the series at hand. It's just harder to sell than a SA ship.

But I really shouldn't be talking about such things with half a bottle of Rumpleminz in me, so I'll shut up now.

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:30 pm

View Original PostLament wrote:Oh, I see. So there is a song for everyone. Don't remember that one, must YouTube it ->

My sarcasm detector is working or it's broken as usual? It's the song sung by Megumi Hayashibara during the "3rd Impact" scene at the end of 2.22.
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxXkZzJUDh4[/url]
Actually there's not really a song for everyone, at least I don't remember one for HikarixTouji (or are you considering A/S, R/S and K/S the three more important pairings? I suppose that there are people who won't agree).
Bagheera wrote:I don't know if that's easiest, but I agree that all require heavy lifting. S/A just requires less than most others, given how the series ends.

R/S or (or even K/S) requires "lifting" because you'll basically have to enter in a what-if scenario since their relationship has been interrupted in the series by your usual plot-device.
This is at least a little different compared to GendoxKensuke or ReixLonginus no Yari...
A/S requires a what-if logic as well since we don't know what will happen (with the difference that you won't defy directly the "holy will of Hideaki Anno" that decided to stop those other relationship before ending the story "FOR A REASON"; too bad that there's not so much respect for his decision to reduce Asuka's importance in the Rebuild).
Anyway as I said I don't care about this point so we could end it here as well.
So let’s make a wish.
No matter how many times

tehprognoob
Ireul
Ireul

Postby tehprognoob » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:42 pm

er...i'm taking it that i got ninja'd on the Rei X lance thing?

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:07 am

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:A/S requires a what-if logic as well since we don't know what will happen (with the difference that you won't defy directly the "holy will of Hideaki Anno" that decided to stop those other relationship before ending the story "FOR A REASON"; too bad that there's not so much respect for his decision to reduce Asuka's importance in the Rebuild).

It basically comes down to whether or not you want to ignore the story as told. If you do, you can do pretty much whatever you like. If you don't, your options are more limited. Pretty simple, really.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”