What's the best way to explain Lilith's crucifixion?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Lance of LoL
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Lance of LoL » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:20 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:It's not just religious symbols. Riots in Northern Ireland because the council plans to fly the Union Flag a bit less often.

Tell me about it, I'm in Belfast. As it stands, I apologise if I've offended anyone, but when it comes to the things people do in the name of religion as opposed to actually following the tenants of said religion, I tend to get a little pissed off. So I'm sorry if I don't look like Christianity's biggest fan around here, I'm trying to be as objective as I can about the subject of religion, but I am ever so slightly jaded on the matter.
Avatar: MAKE WAY FOR THE HOMO SUPERIOR!

>>>>Rebuild of Evangelion RP "If the only prayer you ever say in your entire life is thank you, it will be enough."~Meister Eckhart<<<<

Nuke-kun: I know not of this "civil conversation" bullshit you speak of.

EvaBrothers
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby EvaBrothers » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:57 pm

View Original PostLance of LoL wrote:but when it comes to the things people do in the name of religion as opposed to actually following the tenants of said religion, I tend to get a little pissed off.

Fundamentalism is a real plague to the world, in all circumstances. It pains me to see fellow Christians acting and thinking like it's still Middle Age or the Inquisitions time--- all things that our religion never preached and that are horror to our God. All I can say is that those Christians really don't know what being a Christian means. *sigh*

As for the Angels in the series--- they're fictional characters that Anno called 'Angels' and that's it. If that was something sinful to do, then no human being could get the name of Angel, Jesus (especially in the hispanic countries) or Gabriel, Michel, etc. And expressions like 'you're an angel' or 'that angelic woman' would not be allowed. To have blasphemy, there's need of the intention to hurt and offend the deity. Which is definitely not the case here.
~ Luana Spinetti ~ [email protected] (Email)
Note: I'm no longer the author of the fanfiction "Eva Brothers from Cybertron". I passed authorship to a friend (Lia Dospetti) who's turning it into her own work, while still maintaining homages to NGE and Transformers, as well as Star Trek. I still draw the artworks, though, and I have some fragments of the old fanfic here.

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:17 pm

Personally, I think the usage of Christian imagery contributes well to the meaning and emotional impact of the series (as opposed to being meaningless). The Angels having crosses as attacks and death-throes contributes to the sense of moral ambiguity and mystery of them which is definitely a part of the series (Shinji questions Asuka about the need to fight them, the angels are never identified as existential evil, the fight is merely a struggle for survival). And after all, why would something inherently evil die with a cross explosion and shoots eyeball laser cross-explosion beams? Crucifixion is a brutal thing, and as I said in my first post, is a practical means of restraining something, however the added meaning from Christianity is that crucifixion buys salvation for the Lilin (by keeping Lilith crucified, or by holding the promise of global tangification) and that there is the potential for resurrection (Lilith leaves the cross in EoE). Furthermore there's the whole 'playing God' dynamic which is an undeniable part of the series (even referenced in Rei's poem).

Despite what Anno says about it not meaning much, the effect of this imagery on a Western audience is an undeniable and in certainly inseparable facet of the experience of watching Evangelion. Certainly things break down if you try to interpret it as a Christian allegory (it clearly is not), but the Christian imagery form motifs that are powerful and completely valid within the scope of the rest of world of Eva and associated analysis and mythology.

View Original PostLance of LoL wrote:Tell me about it, I'm in Belfast. As it stands, I apologise if I've offended anyone, but when it comes to the things people do in the name of religion as opposed to actually following the tenants of said religion, I tend to get a little pissed off. So I'm sorry if I don't look like Christianity's biggest fan around here, I'm trying to be as objective as I can about the subject of religion, but I am ever so slightly jaded on the matter.

I don't mind you criticizing Christianity, as I have a fair number of criticisms myself. Neither would you be anywhere remotely close to the first person to come to the Evageeks forums and do so. However, Christianity is broad and diverse enough that when people do criticize Christianity (or any religion), I like them to avoid generalizations and be specific about what is irking them, particularly when it starts with "I've always hated xyz about Christians." I assure you I took no offense, I just wanted to prod you a bit into being more specific.

As for the 9/11 cross, I think a lot of people had a very reasonable belief that the cross-shaped beams were a sign from God. Of course there, a compromise was reached, clean up at ground zero continued, and the cross put into the 9/11 museum ( i think ).
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:29 pm

View Original Postslothen wrote:As for the 9/11 cross, I think a lot of people had a very reasonable belief that the cross-shaped beams were a sign from God.

MFW :rei_meh:
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:39 pm

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:MFW :rei_meh:

I'm serious. I'm not saying I believe it. Unless you categorically reject faith and all people that subscribe to it, you can hardly be surprised that people would latch onto something like that (people finding crosses in burned buildings or sites of tragedy is not new [URL=http://www.crossofnails.org/about-us/]Link - Worth 30s to read[/URL]). Its different than seeing the Virgin Mary in your pop-tart or Jesus in your shower mildew. I'm not justifying threats of violence or whatever either. PM me to discuss further; this is off-topic.
Last edited by slothen on Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:36 pm

I'm not surprised by people who believe it, I just don't find it very reasonable.
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”