The most disturbing moment in Evangelion

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Soluzar
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar » Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:52 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:
Soluzar wrote:Plus, Mr Tines, may I ask what inspires you to refer to the music "Komm, Süßer Tod" as cheery?

Because the music sounds jaunty and up-beat. The lyric, OTOH, is as depressing as the visual context in the movie.

I apologise. I should have appended a smiley. This sarcastic observation was merely intended to pad out my post about the angler fish with something light-hearted.

Mr. Tines wrote:
Soluzar wrote:Incidentally, isn't it the case that this glyph "ß" is now considered to be archaic? My German acquaintances both suggest this ie so, and they are both young people, who would likely have up-to-date knowledge of the trends affecting their language.

Probably - in this I betray the fact that my German 'O' level was 33 years ago, and used the spelling I'm familiar with. There have been at least two waves of official spelling reform in the intervening span, but being uncertain of the details, I'll stick with what was correct once upon a time.

This was, I hasten to add, not intended as a dig at your usage of it, rather, I am curious. It is possible that it has fallen from favour in popular usage, but remained part of the official spellings. My own acquaintances spell words with a more generic double 's', but then, this may not be technically correct.
Natsukashii, ne?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Mar 04, 2005 6:05 pm

The title of the song is written with a double-S, rather than the special character whose name I can pronounce but not spell.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Mar 04, 2005 6:11 pm

Soluzar wrote:I apologise.

No need, no need at all. 'twere me just being literal minded and pedantic - and omitting to put smilies on.

Soluzar wrote:This was, I hasten to add, not intended as a dig at your usage of it, rather, I am curious. It is possible that it has fallen from favour in popular usage, but remained part of the official spellings. My own acquaintances spell words with a more generic double 's', but then, this may not be technically correct.

My recollection of the various bits of official German language reform includes that Latin Small Letter Sharp S (Unicode number: U+00DF) was officially deprecated, along with the habitual terminology for the Danube Steam Ship Company; but that at least part of that same bunch of changes met an unusually high level of popular push-back. Since I've not done much to keep my German up to date, and thus not knowing the real details of current usage, I was pleading "old" as an excuse :wink:
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:16 pm

For me, the most disturbing moment had to be when the Rei's came for the operators in the Nerv control room. This was definitely one of the more powerful scenes in the series. The terror, the insights ....

and of course that lovely water balloon popping sound as each in turn met their grisly fate.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

Cogboy
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Cogboy » Sat Mar 26, 2005 12:14 am

That character (can't remember how to spell it either) has been officially renounced.

I think its been like that for atleast four or five years.
"My point? "Sick and Depraved" is a banana." - Soluzar.

"I have those frameless glasses and shit. And emo glasses, but I broke them 'cause I got angry. :( " - Shnooks.

"Old quotes are old" - Cogboy

Ryo
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Ryo » Wed Mar 30, 2005 7:10 am

Disturbing... hmm, let's see...

- The kitchen scene during Third Impact kinda freaked me out.
- Asuka's arm getting ripped in two by the lance, as well as the blood coming out from her eye moments before.
- Tiffany Grant saying 'How discusting' in "One more final: I need you." :?
I know it's not scary, violent or downright discusting, but it's nonetheless disturbing. This is one of the many reasons why I prefer to watch Evangelion in Japanese rather than the English dub... :roll:

Other than that, Evangelion itself is disturbing. And that's one of the reasons I like it. :twisted:
Asuka > Rei

rip3mwk
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby rip3mwk » Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:33 pm

yeah, i agree with the kitchen scene - along with all other 'Shinji choking Asuka scenes' - especially the last one, Asuka was animated so well and almost seemed doll-like. creepy stuff.
i also agree with the dub subject. amanda winn lee did a horrible job with that - lee also felt that she needed to add that stupid paint splatter sound effect when Misato shot that guy through the chin. talk about ruening the mood - it made it comical. definately not needed.
yeah um forget the Japanese Asuka VA but she was awsome in her role

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:48 pm

rip3mwk wrote:yeah, i agree with the kitchen scene - along with all other 'Shinji choking Asuka scenes'

There was only the "on the beach", wasn't there? Even just the two scenes is more than enough of that.

rip3mwk wrote:yeah um forget the Japanese Asuka VA but she was awsome in her role

Miyamura Yuuko, and yes.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Ryo
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Ryo » Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:38 pm

rip3mwk wrote:lee also felt that she needed to add that stupid paint splatter sound effect when Misato shot that guy through the chin. talk about ruening the mood - it made it comical.

Not to mention what they did to the scene in D&R where Kaji was shot... :roll:
I've had the opportunity to watch both D&R and EoE with audio commentary, and as Reichu has stated before, it IS full of crap. I'm almost getting the feeling that I know more about Evangelion than they do. :roll:

Edit: Is it only me, or does the dates/times on the forum look pretty screwed?
Asuka > Rei

rip3mwk
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby rip3mwk » Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:02 pm

Mr. Tines - There was only the "on the beach", wasn't there?

didn't mean for it to be plural there - maybe strangled little Rei flashed into my head - i need to brush up on my VA's

i simply think that the movies should be left as they were, save for the eng. dub option. this includes the eva's howling AND SOUND EFFECTS. i think that we all know more than the eng. directors do - that is why i am so worried about the live action movie (if there will be one)
back to disturbing things - i think the playground shot was pretty disturbing; i loved it, it was perfect but still odd in a way. now i am thinking about the naked Shinji and Rei/yui fused together with earth in the background.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:56 pm

rip3mwk wrote:now i am thinking about the naked Shinji and Rei/yui fused together with earth in the background.

Rei/Yui fused together? Wha?

GNR's forehead eats the Tree of Life (with EVA-01 inside), but Yui and Rei remain separate entities through the very end.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

bp32
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby bp32 » Wed Mar 30, 2005 7:11 pm

Cogboy wrote:That character (can't remember how to spell it either) has been officially renounced.

I think its been like that for atleast four or five years.

Just for clarification, what do mean "renounced"?
"Men judge generally more by the eye than by the hand, for everyone can see and few can feel. Every one sees what you appear to be, few really know what you are."-Niccolo Machiavelli

"In religion and politics, people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second hand, and without examination."-Mark Twain

rip3mwk
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby rip3mwk » Wed Mar 30, 2005 7:56 pm

Shinji and Rei fused together is just a (now realized) completely retarted wording meaning: after the third impact when Shinji is lying in (i believe) a sea of LCL with Rei ontop of him (ya know her arms are through his chest, they're nude, Shinji decides he wants to live apart instead of together as a single being - i think you get the point). i read around somwhere else that Rei represents his mother in that scene and she is essentially stradling him meaning it is supposed to be twisted in a way - similar to the playground representing a mother's womb. i just realized that this was actually all in the comentary and that i am beging to ramble so completely disregard me if you like.
i really need to watch the movie in its entirety again since i haven't seen it for a month or so (is that a long or short period of time?).

Cogboy
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Cogboy » Fri Apr 01, 2005 5:34 am

bp32 wrote:Just for clarification, what do mean "renounced"?

removed from use.
"My point? "Sick and Depraved" is a banana." - Soluzar.

"I have those frameless glasses and shit. And emo glasses, but I broke them 'cause I got angry. :( " - Shnooks.

"Old quotes are old" - Cogboy

bp32
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby bp32 » Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:35 am

Cogboy wrote:
bp32 wrote:Just for clarification, what do mean "renounced"?

removed from use.

Right I know that, I guess I just didn't understand how you were using it...
"Men judge generally more by the eye than by the hand, for everyone can see and few can feel. Every one sees what you appear to be, few really know what you are."-Niccolo Machiavelli

"In religion and politics, people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second hand, and without examination."-Mark Twain

Oblivious
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Oblivious » Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:33 pm

If I didn't find anything disturbing, am I abnormal? Exciting yes, but disturbing... maybe not. EoE was fantastic, by the way.

Maybe it's my hyperactive imagination.
http://graveyardofroses.spaces.live.com
You can either choose to change yourself or change your surroundings. All decisions are variations of those two.

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:25 pm

The only thing I found desturbing was the part where Shinji wanked off to Asuka in the hospital. I wonder where he cleaned his hands off after that, maybe he just put it in his pocket which would be totally gross.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:28 pm

Why is it always this scene?

Defectron wrote:The only thing I found desturbing was the part where Shinji wanked off to Asuka in the hospital. I wonder where he cleaned his hands off after that, maybe he just put it in his pocket which would be totally gross.

Quite possibly he licked it all off - assuming him to be un-cut and thus not requiring any possibly inedible lubricant that would get mixed in.

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:36 pm

Why is it always this scene?

I dunno I have no problem with brutal cannibalistic evas who change into giant deformed versions of Rei and turn Asuka into a pin cusion. But shinjis wee wee just scares me for some reason.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:15 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:Quite possibly he licked it all off - assuming him to be un-cut and thus not requiring any possibly inedible lubricant that would get mixed in.

Either that, or he wiped off using Asuka's sheets. :lol:

I think it's pretty much the norm in Japan for the men to be intact. Unless Yui was Jewish, anyhow.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”