Would you want Funimation to redub the series?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:51 am

I love the ADV dub though i wouldn't mind Funimation's take on it. As unlikely as it would be, i'd like to hear someone who is not Spike Spencer voicing Shinji. Nothing personal.

Flyvapnet
Embryo

Only on one condition....

•      
  •      

Postby Flyvapnet » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:06 pm

I wouldn't mind if Funimation re-dubbed the series and all subsequent audio-visual releases, provided they got Asuka's name right. Apparently, regarding Evangelion: 2.22 You Can (Not) Advance, a decision was made by Funimation to pronounce characters' names as they would be pronounced in English--with one and only one exception: Asuka. They insisted she still be called "Oscar" or "Ossica" and it drives me up the wall!

But, as others have pointed out, such re-dubbing will never happen. I'm hoping "Oscar"/"Ossica" becomes "Asuka" in future releases, but I won't be holding my breath in anticipation. I don't like anything about Funimation, but that's the corporation we're stuck with due to all this greedy licensing malarkey.

[center]:asuka_stare:[/center]
[center]Beauty is the purgation of superfluities.
Michelangelo di Lodovico Buonarroti Simoni (1475-1564)[/center]

MassiveInvader
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby MassiveInvader » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:57 pm

I'm not too picky with dubs, so i would love to see them do it, that and they saved One Piece, so it should be easy to dub eva because there isn't too much to save.
I will respect your opinion if you respect mine.

ReiAyanami25
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby ReiAyanami25 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:12 am

No, no. Never. I like ADV's NGE dub very much. Funimation failed to cast a number of voice actresses who exhibited a very good performance, I believe. It is mainly the lack of Amanda Winn Lee's acting that has annoyed me in NME. Despite her lack of knowledge of NGE and its characters, she gave a flawless performance as Rei, one which was very fitting. Brina Palencia gave a rather plain and unremarkable performance as Rei, I believe. Plus 'Funimation' is a stupid sounding name.
生は、死の始まり。そして再生は、夢の終わり。
"I write only because there is a voice within me that will not be still." - SP

Rei Ayanami's beauty comes from the truth that she has feelings...the struggle to draw your feelings forth, the reconciliation between your surface and your death - that, I believe, is where we truly become alive, truly become human beings." -Hayashibara Megumi

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:23 am

I am largely indifferent to this scenario.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

weeminator24
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby weeminator24 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:31 am

For the most part I was pleased with their dubs on the rebuild movies...so I wouldn't mind if they re did the dub of the original series......regardless if you like dubs however Funimation normally includes the original Japanese with subs, and it would also most likely be in HD, with some special features too!

I do think however that The End of Evangelion needs a new dub....there's quite a bit of mistakes in it for me to justify it needing a new dub, and it definitely needs a proper release. Manga's DVD was absolutely horrible!

muad'dib
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby muad'dib » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:57 pm

As much as I do like the Funimation cast ( and I love Colleen Clickenbeard's work, awesome Ritsuko) I think the ADV dub should just stay the way it is. It's become a cult hit so I wouldn't touch it.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

DeadClones
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby DeadClones » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:22 pm

They should redo it like they did with shin-chan, new cultural references and ultra adult content.
I used to really enjoy swimming pools... until I saw the pool of Rei clones get disintegrated.

Can I get that feature in my pool?

user-02
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby user-02 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:52 pm

View Original PostMassiveInvader wrote:I'm not too picky with dubs, so i would love to see them do it, that and they saved One Piece, so it should be easy to dub eva because there isn't too much to save.

You know, aside from a few clunkers and some genuinely groan-inducing lines here and there, I don't get the hate for the ADV dubs. By and large, there were some really good performances in the dub. In particular, Amanda Winn-Lee's Rei is much better and more nuanced than Brina Palencia's Rei in Rebuild.

My only serious gripes with the ADV dub are the frequent re-use of certain voices for the side characters, and the obviously Texan accents that some of the characters have (ADV is based in Houston, and it's clear that a lot of their casting was local). Something about bad pronunciations of Japanese names in a thick Texan drawl always struck me as a little silly. (See: Hikari, the prime offender in the ADV dub).

Would I want to see Funimation redub the series? Eh, not really. First, because I consider tne ADV version -- warts and all -- to be more than adequate. Second, because I am very hesitant to spend more money on yet another DVD or Blu-ray set without an attendant high-def visual upscaling (which would be a much more compelling reason to rebuy the series).

Ringworm128
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Ringworm128 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:15 pm

I must be the only one who prefers Brina Palencia over Amanda Win Lee as Rei Ayanami, to me Win Lee sounded a bit over the top, almost like she was trying too hard to sound mysterious and withheld while Palencia does that while sounding more believable.

Sharaz Destler
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Sharaz Destler » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:06 am

View Original Postuser-02 wrote:My only serious gripes with the ADV dub are the frequent re-use of certain voices for the side characters, and the obviously Texan accents that some of the characters have (ADV is based in Houston, and it's clear that a lot of their casting was local). Something about bad pronunciations of Japanese names in a thick Texan drawl always struck me as a little silly. (See: Hikari, the prime offender in the ADV dub).

I dunno, I like "HiKAri" more than "HIkaRI."

I'd watch a Funimation dub if I could do all the voices. :) But then it'd sound like "Downton Abbey with giant robots," because a lot of my voices come from watching UK-made stuff. Of course, just for tradition's sake, I'd throw in a couple of Hank Hills and George W. Bushes...maybe do a Bill Clinton for Kaji.

"Now, Misato, I'm gonna neutralize your AT Field with my Spear of Longinus. And by 'Spear of Longinus' I mean 'my penis.'" XD
"To the rational mind, nothing is inexplicable...only unexplained."--The Doctor, "Doctor Who".

Catamari
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Catamari » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:34 pm

View Original PostSharaz Destler wrote:Of course, just for tradition's sake, I'd throw in a couple of Hank Hills and George W. Bushes...maybe do a Bill Clinton for Kaji.

OMFG. Bill Clinton would be awesome for Kaji. I can do a pretty convincing Sean Connery impression, I'm thinking that should be reserved for Gendou?

moonwolf2024
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby moonwolf2024 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:50 pm

That's gonna be a NO on the Funimation. Spike Spencer all the way baby. He's a pretty decent voice actor. I dont normally listen to dubs, but I like this one.

Yeah, i'm sure they'd revamp some of the lines, which is if they even decide to do it......but it would definitly suck :thumbsdown:
Maybe if you shut up and stop over analyzing everything you just might get it........

Eva-UnitK
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Eva-UnitK » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:58 pm

But wouldnt Spike still be Shinji? Seeing as he is still him in the Funimation dub versions of the Rebuild movies
Hardcore Asuka Fan! Evangelion for life!

moonwolf2024
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby moonwolf2024 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:08 am

Guess it shows how much i watched that dub..... :sealedlips:
Maybe if you shut up and stop over analyzing everything you just might get it........

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:20 am

Cyndi Lauper should play Rei.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:13 pm

Dubbing ruins anime. It forces the voice actors to create dialogue within a set amount of syllables, and the process usually winds up distorting the meaning behind the original Japanese performance. Isn't the whole point of watching a show from another country to get the culture of that country out of it? Dubbing over it in English takes so much life out of the show.

Catamari
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Catamari » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:38 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:Dubbing ruins anime. It forces the voice actors to create dialogue within a set amount of syllables, and the process usually winds up distorting the meaning behind the original Japanese performance. Isn't the whole point of watching a show from another country to get the culture of that country out of it? Dubbing over it in English takes so much life out of the show.

I'd agree with the sentiment, but not with the implementation. I would agree that, if you want to better absorb the cultural part of the show, you should watch it in Japanese (or whatever the native language is). But this doesn't hold up when you are just watching a show for fun. When I watch NGE because I am waiting at the doctor's or on a plane, I'm watching it to pass time, not to analyze the show or absorb the cultural elements. The same is true for when I watch comedy anime, the humour in Azumanga Daioh doesn't really work well when read at the bottom of the screen, and Japanese idioms don't really translate to English well. In that case, I think dubbing is superior.

It really depends on what you are trying to get out of the show.

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:39 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:Dubbing ruins anime. It forces the voice actors to create dialogue within a set amount of syllables, and the process usually winds up distorting the meaning behind the original Japanese performance. Isn't the whole point of watching a show from another country to get the culture of that country out of it? Dubbing over it in English takes so much life out of the show.

Cowboy Bebop, Hellsing, and Gurren Lagann would like to have a word with you.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:53 pm

this is the only type of dub I want Eva to get: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDWJMZFSrC0

the final line about vampires could easily be changed to fit kaworu

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”