"Evangelion is a Mindfuck."

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:56 pm

IIRC you weren't around when gchristinsn made his threads, but they were an upmost pleasant affair, and while he didn't explicitly tell us all to go to hell or that we were stupid, i remember some of the stuff being just as bad or at least as frustrating.

It is true that the quote was rather direct, but i feel it was more humorous rather than mean-spirited, and gchristinsn did kinda earn it.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:09 pm

View Original PostMerkaba wrote:Pay him no mind, he has proven immune to such quaint concepts as "courtesy," "kindness" and "not being an asshole in everything he says."

Seriously, dude. Stop being a fucking dick. Your post had nothing to do with whether or not the show is a mindfuck. Instead, you just targeted someone who wasn't even talking to you, and did one of your oh-so-clever little Bagheera-isms. Now I'm returning the favor.

Do you really expect this to accomplish anything? It's not like hypocritical ranting is gonna make me take you seriously, so what's the point?
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Elect G-Max
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Elect G-Max » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:56 pm

Evangelion stays pretty sane for 15 episodes or so, then goes into turbo-batshit-mindfuckery mode when characters start trying to pull human souls out of a Sea of Dirac using phase waves that get trapped in Klein space and so on. EoE is like the show not just raping your mind, but ejaculating all over it.

Here's a good litmus test: if the fans took over a decade to piece some stuff together, then it was a mindfuck.
"Whatever the story or the development of the characters, I made them without a plan... We only started working on the next script once the previous one was done." - Anno, 1996

"Sometimes, putting your toothbrush in its holder upside down can express your feelings towards life in general, your secret desire to commit suicide, the feelings for your long-lost mother that you never got to know, and your favorite color. But sometimes that toothbrush is simply a toothbrush." - Nuclear Lunchbox

Madonna
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Madonna » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:36 pm

The storyline of Eva made sense to me on first viewing, it was the motivation behind some of the character's actions which left me a tad perplexed.

To me Evangelion is neither avant garde or conventional, yes part of it was made to appeal to a large audience however it has complexities that you won't find in a lot of the other mainstream anime. It struck a good balance between the mass appeal of the action sequences, and the more complex existential nihilistic theme that is evident throughout the anime.

CCri
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby CCri » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:27 pm

when i was a kid, the animes i watched before i encountered Evangelion were pokemon, DBZ, and ranma.

So yeah, MASSIVE mindfuck. lol
-C C R I

Koneko_Hime
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Koneko_Hime » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:47 pm

I don't think it deserves that title. Going into it at first you're thinking ok! when are things gonna start getting out of whack, then you keep going hey this isn't so bad, this is quiet entertaining and really good. On the surface it looks like a regular mecha series then as you go more in like episode 14, which almost made me quit the series, that was truly a mindfuck. I know it was a clip show, but that's when things start getting wacky. Even episode 16 wasn't so bad, even though it would seem confusing, it really wasn't to me it was easy to understand, kind of out there a little bit but understanding. I think the best episodes of the series so far since I'm watching the series the first time around, is 7-13 then 15 and 16 since that's where i watched last. I still don't know if I wanna watch EOE though I think I may just finish the manga up on that then the rest of Rebuild. it depends how I feel about the ending of the tv series.

Ænimal
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Ænimal » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:51 pm

I don't think it deserves that title.

perhaps you should watch the series episodes through episode 24, then depending on your level of willingness to get mindfcuked either EoE or 25 and 26. Either way it's gonna happen :lol:

don't worry, you'll feel better afterwards; if not, there's always booze

i'm just kidding, it's really not that bad (so i keep telling myself)
Last edited by Ænimal on Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jurrasic
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Jurrasic » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:33 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Nah. Dead Leaves is stupid and gonzo and over the top, but I had no trouble following the basic narrative I admit things got a little weird when the caterpillar came out, though. But even to this day I still don't know what the hell happened in FLCL. I should probably watch it again.

Firmly with Bagheera on this one. Dead Leaves was way over the top, but understandable enough. FLCL was not only confusing, it had a much greater sin to me. It was IRRITATING AS FUCK. I honestly could not complete the series when I attempted to watch it the first time.

I will try again one of these days, just so I can bag on it properly. Who knows? It may watch better the second time around. Gantz was like that for me. First time, meh. Rewatch a couple years later, FAR better.
"Yes ladies and gentlemen, in France Asuka swears like a sailor and confirms that she's the butch of her apparent lesbian relationship with Mari, Mari insults people that ignore her, and Shinji Ikari tells to Sakura Suzuhara and Misato Katsuragi to go fuck themselves!" -ElMariachi

Stillborn
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Stillborn » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:37 pm

View Original PostJurrasic wrote:Firmly with Bagheera on this one. Dead Leaves was way over the top, but understandable enough. FLCL was not only confusing, it had a much greater sin to me. It was IRRITATING AS FUCK. I honestly could not complete the series when I attempted to watch it the first time.

The first time I've read about FLCL in magazine, I was pretty hyped. It souned really cool.

When I finally watched it few years later. I was just disappointed. And irritated.
Another jaded man.
Wciąż stoję nieruchomo, w nieżywym już szeregu. Umieram na stojąco, niech inni giną w biegu.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:20 pm

When I read people's criticisms of anime that I know, I find I nearly always learn more about the critics than about the anime! (Reading about people's reactions to [C] has this effect particularly strongly, I find.)

Go on, folks; if you haven't got it before, watch FLCL again until you do!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Stillborn
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Stillborn » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:27 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:When I read people's criticisms of anime that I know, I find I nearly always learn more about the critics than about the anime! (Reading about people's reactions to [C] has this effect particularly strongly, I find.)

Go on, folks; if you haven't got it before, watch FLCL again until you do!

I believe, I get what FLCL is about. That doesn't mean I'm less disappointed or irritated.
Another jaded man.
Wciąż stoję nieruchomo, w nieżywym już szeregu. Umieram na stojąco, niech inni giną w biegu.

Nyanlathotep
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Nyanlathotep » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:06 pm

So I just finally finished reading Finnegans Wake and I can confirm that NGE is not a mindfuck.
開いたばかりの花が散るのを
見ていた木立の遣る瀬無きかな

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:44 am

View Original PostNyanlathotep wrote:So I just finally finished reading Finnegans Wake and I can confirm that NGE is not a mindfuck.

Note to self: watch Finnegans Wake. :lol: Would you make a post in the appropriate thread on its subject matter? ;)

Jurrasic
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Jurrasic » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:44 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:When I read people's criticisms of anime that I know, I find I nearly always learn more about the critics than about the anime! (Reading about people's reactions to [C] has this effect particularly strongly, I find.)

You think so? I think what you are really doing in this case is not "learning" about the critic as much as "assigning the critic into a slot of one of the pre-assumed archtypes that you have created in your mind."
"Yes ladies and gentlemen, in France Asuka swears like a sailor and confirms that she's the butch of her apparent lesbian relationship with Mari, Mari insults people that ignore her, and Shinji Ikari tells to Sakura Suzuhara and Misato Katsuragi to go fuck themselves!" -ElMariachi

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:02 pm

Well, I don't have any pre-conceived stereotypes of anime viewers yet, as I've not been around the field long enough. If I find a number behaving the same way, I may categorise them together in my mind, which I suppose is how stereotypes are born - but observation comes first.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

user-02
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby user-02 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:14 pm

I'm a johnny-come-lately to this thread, but I have to say, a lot of you guys are asking the wrong question. To ascertain whether something is a mindfuck, you shouldn't ask "Well, was my mind fucked with?" Instead, you should ask if the work is intentionally and irreducibly opaque.

A mindfuck is something that is designed to be provocatively perplexing, with the additional connotation that it has no right interpretation or answer. A zen koan is a classic example. "If a tree falls in the woods, and no one is around to hear it, does it still make a sound?" is a mindfuck. One could argue that "Solaris" (the original, not the Clooney remake) is a mindfuck. The film "Un Chien Andalou" is a mindfuck. "Finnegan's Wake," as someone pointed out earlier, is a mindfuck. The music of the band Animal Collective is often mindfucky. Surrealist art is often mindfucky. David Bowie and the Talking Heads get pretty mindfucky. Etc., etc., etc.

I'd argue that Eva is not a mindfuck -- not because I am not confused by it, but because the work seems to have a perfectly logical internal framework and a "correct" interpretation. The finer details of that interpretation are still being debated, but that doesn't mind a right answer doesn't exist. Eva is a confusing series, and it's an ambiguously resolved story, but it's not a blatantly impenetrable work.

Grimmjow
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Grimmjow » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:49 am

I'd argue it's pretty subjective in the first place to define what a "mindfuck" is in the very first place. That being said, I wouldn't really call the original series a mindfuck. It had some surreal imagery, but the plot was fairly simple to follow. EoTV, without the context of EOE is very confusing because the plot just takes a full stop and we move into psychoanalysis of the characters without much explanation of how this occurred. But once again, it's not really a mindfuck. Most of what is said or seen in EoTV isn't that surreal or bizarre.
I would say that the End of Evangelion comes the closest to a mindfuck of any of the series. If many of us were honest, many of us on the very first viewing of EoE probably said, "What the hell was that?" With all the creepy frames popping up everywhere, the strange symbols, GNR, choking, sexual imagery, and so on, it definitely screwed with my mind.

But like I said, that is subjective. For others, they were probably able to cut through much of it to get to the core and after multiple viewings it is much easier for me to see what is really going on.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:44 am

Of course it'a mindfuck.
And quite a good one, too, my brain definitely climaxed.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:50 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:Of course it'a mindfuck.
And quite a good one, too, my brain definitely climaxed.

I do not have words for the level of win in this post. You, miss, have just won the internet. And made it into my signature.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:41 pm

Whenever you take a few years to think about something, it usually ceases to be a mindfuck. I'm sure that first-time viewers would be more inclined to agree with the mindfuck statement than we would.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”