Favourite dub Kaworu?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:36 am

master_lloyd wrote:
Rabid-Sachiel wrote:Yes, but many people call the Japanese "sub" and the English "dub". It's because most Americans can't understand the Japanese without subs.

Yeah stupid American's. Can't speak Japanese, not like us Brits who are all fluent.

Yeah! It's only the Americans that don't get it! Damn them!!! :fistshake:

Jefe de Escritorio Slam
Last edited by Joseph the PRPD on Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

LiLi
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby LiLi » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:43 am

I hear Kaworu has 2 (or 3) different VAs in the Italian dub too...
"People need more stfu in their diets." (NemZ)
"It was brainf@rt at first sight." [LiLi on Romance, II]

AVATAR - CUPCAKE CAT, SHOPPED BY NemZ

Rabid-Sachiel
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Rabid-Sachiel » Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:57 pm

master_lloyd wrote:Yeah stupid American's. They can't speak Japanese, not like us Brits who are all fluent.

I didn't mean to be offensive or closed-minded. I meant a few things. First of all, I don't think people should just call it "sub or dub", as it could be applied to anime being watched in any country, since the re-dubs are all in different languages. So basically, I think it would be more appropriate to call the Japanese w/ subs just "Japanese" and the re-dub language just whatever language it is. i.e. English for the US.

Secondly, I don't claim that Americans who like to watch it in English are stupid. In fact, many Americans DO prefer to watch it in Japanese w/ subs. I just meant, one of the reasons people who watch anime in English do so, is because they can't read the subs fast enough.
MAL

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds" -Albert Einstein

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:57 pm

Rabid-Sachiel wrote:BLA BLA BLA

The point of the comment is that it isn't just Americans that refer to the original Japanese dub as subs. People everywhere do. Subjecting one country of doing so is just ignorant.

one of the reasons people who watch anime in English do so, is because they can't read the subs fast enough.

Two words.

BULL and CRAP.

A lot of the anime I watch are in English and it isn't because I "can't read the subs fast enough". That's just stupid. I have no problem reading subtitles in the anime I do watch in Japanese.
Last edited by Joseph the PRPD on Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rabid-Sachiel
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Rabid-Sachiel » Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 pm

You don't need impertinence to make a good argument, you know?

I said ONE of the reasons. You can't say it's not a possible reason for not wanting to watch it in Japanese.
MAL

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds" -Albert Einstein

Adekis
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Adekis » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:49 pm

Scott Perrie.
I know he never actually voiced the Fifth Child, but I always hear his "Akira Toya" voice when I think of Kaworu talking.
Not sure why.

And please stop arguing over these trivial things, I tire of it.
*prepares to get punched in the face*
"Why do you foolish Lilin assume you can control me? 'Cause you can't control me!" - My take on the relationship between SEELE and Kaworu
"[Eva] is a story where the main character witnesses many horrors with his own eyes, but still tries to stand up again.
It is a story of will; a story of moving forward, if only just a little." - Hideaki Anno

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:57 pm

Adekis wrote:*prepares to get punched in the face*

YOU BETTER GRIT THOSE TEETH! [/Kamina]

:headbeat:
Last edited by Joseph the PRPD on Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rabid-Sachiel
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Rabid-Sachiel » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:05 pm

Gooooooooooookuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu! Save me from CGI Broly! His hair's even larger than him now! :bawl:
MAL

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:06 pm

Rabid-Sachiel wrote:Gooooooooooookuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu! Save me from CGI Broly! His hair's even larger than him now! :bawl:

The hell does this have to do with anything?
Last edited by Joseph the PRPD on Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rabid-Sachiel
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Rabid-Sachiel » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:08 pm

What the hell does threatening to punch people out you don't know have to do with anything?
MAL

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:10 pm

It was a joke post. Wow, anyone with common sense should be able to see that, especially since I quoted Gurren Lagann. Read what he typed.

Rabid-Sachiel
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Rabid-Sachiel » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:11 pm

So was mine. Anyone with common sense would be able to tell that I was referencing to your Avatar.
MAL

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:15 pm

It was a joke post. Wow, anyone with common sense should be able to see that, especially since I quoted Gurren Lagann. Read what he typed.

So was mine. Anyone with common sense would be able to tell that I was referencing to your Avatar.

The internet sure is serious business!

All those kaworus sound the same to me, I like his Japanese voice a bit better then the dubs though.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Rabid-Sachiel
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Rabid-Sachiel » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:21 pm

Defectron wrote:
All those kaworus sound the same to me, I like his Japanese voice a bit better then the dubs though.

I thought the English Director's cut voice was really bad.
MAL

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:56 pm

Okay it's obvious that this was referencing my avatar:

Rabid-Sachiel wrote:Gooooooooooookuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu! Save me from CGI Broly! His hair's even larger than him now! :bawl:

After my response:
Rabid-Sachiel wrote:What the hell does threatening to punch people out you don't know have to do with anything?

After I made my response where I stated I made a joke post:
Rabid-Sachiel wrote:So was mine. Anyone with common sense would be able to tell that I was referencing to your Avatar.

Please explain how accusing me of threatening someone is a reference to my avatar? I'd love to know. It sounds like to me you were trying to cover yourself. The posts you made were very unnecessary. If you were really going to reference my avatar while not mainly accusing me of threatening another person you should have done so in the avatar and sig thread.

EDIT: For the sake of this thread I am not going to respond to this argument anymore if he responds back.

Rabid-Sachiel
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Rabid-Sachiel » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:44 pm

In the English Director's Cut, Kaworu's voice was quite inappropriate.
MAL

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:51 pm

You already said you didn't like it.

I like the director's cut Kaworu. I felt it matched him well. I did watch the DC version first so when I did hear the original voice it didn't feel right. When I heard EoE Kaworu I didn't notice a major difference during my viewing.

I wonder how FUNi's sounds.

Rabid-Sachiel
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Rabid-Sachiel » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:59 pm

Joseph the PRPD wrote:You already said you didn't like it.

Inappropriate and bad are two different things. Furthermore, I didn't specify as to why I thought his voice was bad in that post.

Anyway, I thought his voice just didn't seem right. It didn't seem to fit his personality and the way he acted.
MAL

marmotgirl
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby marmotgirl » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:35 pm

Now I like Greg Ayres, and ironically it's his dub of another Ishida role - Chrono in Chrono Crusade , that turned me on to him as a VA, but by GOD THAT IS NOT KAWORU.

The problem with Ayres is that he plays Kaworu like a traditional "kid-with-a-secret". Something about his intonation just screams whiny, childish, i-know-something-you-don't-know-ness, and that's not what Kaworu is about at all, obviously. The real appeal of Khron's - and even Sturdivant's - performances for me is that they make Kaworu sound far older than his appearance suggests. There's something about the juxtaposition of pretty-kid and man-voice which seems to eerily implicate a kind of wisdom, in Khron's performance especially, which was one of the things which initially drew me to Kaworu as a character.

Incidentally, - it's been a while so I may be talking out of my ass here - listen to Khron's Kaji in the series, versus his Kaji in Death. If I remember rightly, series Kaji sounded much more like EOE-Kaworu; Khron obviously deliberately re-tuned Kaji to make him sounds less like Kaworu, and personally I think the results sound far better.

I'm kind of worried about Jerry Jewell; the last thing I heard from him was Kyo in fruits basket, another whiny-emo-kid-type. I had hoped for whasisface, um...argh...*googles* JAY HICKMAN yes that's it, based mostly on his performance as Mytho in Princess Tutu. Although deliberately flat for most of the series, he mamaged a nice ethereal, soft-but-solid tonal quality that could perhaps have been manipulated quite nicely to suit Kaworu.
"Dude, it's not that I don't think you're cool or anything but the fact is that that guy is driving a Big Red GTO and you're pissing about in an enraged banana."

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”