How much did you know about Eva before you started watching?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Ironfoot
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Ironfoot » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:08 am

Nothing at all, until a friend wanted to show me a really messed up movie. It was called End of Evangelion. I had no idea what the hell happened in that movie, but I wanted more of it so I later watched the TV show. Watching the series backwards didn't seem to phase me.

ite89
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ite89 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:58 am

Since I was really into Gundam wing at that time, a friend of mine told me about Neon Genesis Evangelion. When I saw Rei I was immediately drawn to watch more episodes because she was mysterious and pretty haha but I was around 11 at that time and I didn't really understand a lot of it haha.

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:20 pm

I knew both Asuka and Rei but had no idea Shinji was the main character.
poor Shinji.:(
Current avatar: Shotoku in winter
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be Manners." ~ George Carlin
Wilt Chamberlain answers the infamous question.

Bhorium
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Bhorium » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:28 pm

One of my friends had rented some of the DVDs, and I ended up watching the second half of episode 4 and then all of 5 and 6 along with him. Otherwise I came in completely fresh.

EDIT: Come to think of it, the local TV station had run a short review around a year prior to my first watching, calling it: "An amazing show - with beautiful battles - but also with realistic characters with ordinary lives." But I didn't remember that at the time.
Last edited by Bhorium on Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

extext
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby extext » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:46 pm

I only knew that it was a highly praised mecha anime with what people claimed to be a mind rape at the end.

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:52 pm

Read a snippet about in an 1995 issue of Anime UK that in retrospect was quite off: it described Misato as Shinji’s mom and mentioned that the hero was quite young. However it didn’t use their names. There was also a conception sketch of Rei by Sadamoto. Had no opinion after seeing that so I was largely expecting a standard mecha series.
Go with God, and Fight Like the Devil 1356
Curator of: Evangelion Virtual MuseumCold SteelMFC
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

lillyrei
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby lillyrei » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:15 am

Episode 1 was the first anime I ever watched at age 15-16 and knew absolutely nothing about NGE. Spent the last few years only knowing what I had managed to grasp from watching the TV series once and subsequent movies. Having discovered EvaGeeks and the mass of insight/detail here I'm now watching everything again with renewed vigour. NGE was my second favourite anime after FMA (obviously not a true EvaGeek) but with new found knowledge now borderline the bestest anime ever in my book.
My first daughter will be named Rei

ssguy
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby ssguy » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:13 pm

I knew Rei was somehow a clone of Shinji's mom, but not much about the actual circumstance.

I also knew about the congratulations scene (as they put it, "At the end of Evangelion, Shinji travels to America"), and that everyone "turned into orange juice at the end". The actual circumstances of how everyone was turned into LCL (didn't even know that they were referring to that) was still a mystery to me. I knew that the last two episodes would be disappointing and that I should watch the movie right after.

It was still mindblowing.

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Justacrazyguy » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:35 pm

View Original Postssguy wrote:
I knew that the last two episodes would be disappointing

You know there are fans that pefer episodes 25/26 and think EoE is inferior, right?
Nearly all teenage boys are dumbfucks-Xard

É altura de se tornarem pessoas interessantes.- My Classic Culture Teacher

MYANIMELIST-http://myanimelist.net/profile/Justacrazyguy

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:13 pm

View Original PostJustacrazyguy wrote:You know there are fans that pefer episodes 25/26 and think EoE is inferior, right?

I think they're both great. :lol:
Current avatar: Shotoku in winter
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be Manners." ~ George Carlin
Wilt Chamberlain answers the infamous question.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:10 am

I knew essentially nothing going in. My siblings told me that fights with things called "angels" were involved, but I can't remember what else I was told. Nothing in the slightest bit spoilery, though. I also went into the crappy EoE bootleg tape not having the slightest clue what I was in for (except that disagreeable new Evas were involved).

And going into episode 24, I was told something like, "an Angel tries to have sex with Shinji". :lol:
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Assumptions. B/

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:06 am

Halfway through (about episode 14) I began reading spoilers.

I read that Episode 19 was essentially a "black comedy", with how everything goes wrong, and Shinji's credulous expressions towards each event after the other.

In the end, I went through that episode as if waiting for a punch line... Was kinda' let down.

I somehow initially skipped Episode 5 and 6, thus I imagined those episodes somewhat differently from how they turned out (Construction lanes and huge explosions in the middle of city, more like the Sachiel battle).

When I first saw Asuka in the episode 7 "next time" preview, I thought "Alice", and imagined her voice as a bit more sweet then it was (I also assumed off her body language, and correctly so as it turned out, that she was younger than Shinji).
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:37 am

Like most others; nothing at all. Back in 1999, I was sitting in my room watching some TV, getting ready for bed to go to school the next day and my dad yelled out "Hey, there's a cartoon on..."

And so it begun...

FriedlCore
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby FriedlCore » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:25 am

I knew nothing about it, it was just presented to me as a "must see".

Mana
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Mana » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:28 am

I had no background knowledge of Evangelion before I slowly started to watch it on Adult Swim. I'll admit that at first, I really didn't like it because at the time I was only 10 years old and so I didn't understand anything of it.
call me vapor instead of this account's displayhandle, please
(account is old, abandoned for years after briefly using it during 3.0's hype)

ssguy
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby ssguy » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:12 am

I just got a friend into it. All he knows so far is what I told him, which is:

1. Watch End of Evangelion right after watching EoTV, since it continues the story.
2. It's a fantastic series.
3. You are not prepared. Nothing will prepare you.

I can't wait for him to finish it. He started yesterday and said he'd be done by Wednesday.

robin007bond
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby robin007bond » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:03 am

View Original Postssguy wrote:I just got a friend into it. All he knows so far is what I told him, which is:

1. Watch End of Evangelion right after watching EoTV, since it continues the story.
2. It's a fantastic series.
3. You are not prepared. Nothing will prepare you.

I can't wait for him to finish it. He started yesterday and said he'd be done by Wednesday.

I tell my friends the exact same thing.

I hope it will work out for us.

OT:

Nothing. I only heard that EoE is an "alternate" ending.

Aiko Heiwa
Salt 'n' Genki
Salt 'n' Genki

•      
  •      

Postby Aiko Heiwa » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:05 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:And going into episode 24, I was told something like, "an Angel tries to have sex with Shinji". :lol:

That's what happens in my personal canon.
This signature officially sponsored by The Holy Church of Aiko Heiwa® since 2 December 2011

ssguy
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby ssguy » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:09 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:And going into episode 24, I was told something like, "an Angel tries to have sex with Shinji". :lol:

I was browsing an Evangelion thread on 4chan while watching the last few episodes. After episode 23 I was surprised that Shinji turned down comfort sex.

Part way through episode 24, I ask them "Well, Shinji didn't have sex with Misato, but does he at least get Kaworu?" Their answer was "Well, he gives Shinji some head."

Infinite Freedom Machine
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Infinite Freedom Machine » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:55 pm

That it was heavily merchandised and people assumed that ABe was influenced by it when he created Lain. Was good enough for me.
It's the only NEET thing to do.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”