Attraction to same-sex characters as an eye-opener

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:46 pm

There's just something inescapably weird and a bit squicky about me -- an idiosyncratic sack of meat out in the real weird -- engaging in sexual activity with a fictional character. No matter how "life-like" they are, they're artifices who've been constructed by other meat-sacks. We can relate to them, but they can't relate to us. There's nothing at all attractive about it to me.

If one of them suddenly stopped being a fictional character and was suddenly a real person with whom I could enjoy mutual interpersonal interactions, then I suppose the "have sex with" stage might eventually be reachable, but to imagine such things would require a few additional steps of fantasy to which I don't naturally gravitate.

Fantasies about fictional characters that don't actually involve me (the meatsack Rachel Clark) on any more than a vicarious level, however, are A-OK.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:53 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:If one of them suddenly stopped being a fictional character and was suddenly a real person

I'm honestly puzzled why you thought this had to be pointed out, since it's obviously part of the requirements of the hypothetical being presented. I mean, unless somebody is really into papercuts I don't see how that's even worth pondering.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:57 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:There's just something inescapably weird and a bit squicky about me -- an idiosyncratic sack of meat out in the real weird -- engaging in sexual activity with a fictional character.
In daydreams, we're all fictional characters.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:02 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:I'm honestly puzzled why you thought this had to be pointed out

By my reckoning, at least, fantasy could work along a variety of paths and "assumptions". I haven't read enough about the psychology of fantasy at this point, so I'm not going to make assumptions. Be flabbergasted all you like. :p

By the way, how are people going to get papercuts by fucking vector image data?

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:In daydreams, we're all fictional characters.

I suppose that may be true in a sense, but... I just can't have a me-and-someone-else fantasy unless that someone else is a real human I can interact meaningfully with.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:11 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:I'm honestly puzzled why you thought this had to be pointed out, since it's obviously part of the requirements of the hypothetical being presented. I mean, unless somebody is really into papercuts I don't see how that's even worth pondering.

yeah...

(besides, it's not like fictional characters limit to 2D anyway. There're books, characters from live action films etc.)

AngelNo13Bardiel
Still Ill
Still Ill

Re: Attraction to same-sex characters as an eye-opener

Postby AngelNo13Bardiel » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:21 pm

View Original PostKorgan wrote:So confess; have you first felt "queer" for an Eva character?

Nope, not even a little.

A very good question, though...as this thread can already attest to, it's bound to make for some interesting insights.
Evangelion fan since 15 October 2002, Evangelion fanfiction writer since 1 April 2004. (FFN) (AO3)
Current avatar: Don't mind Mr. Joel--after all, he didn't start the dumpster fire that is 2020.
Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly. - Franz Kafka
Clones to the left of me, tsunderes to the right...and here I am, stuck in the middle with Shinji. - how I view my experience with Evangelion
-When it comes to Asuka/Shinji, pre-EoE is like moving Mount Everest and post-EoE is like moving the Olympus Mons. Either way, it's moving a mountain. It's just the size of said mountain.-

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:26 pm

I'm gay for Akira Ishida's fabulous voice in a sense. Not that I feel sexual attraction towards Kaworu (or Head or Ishida character X or the guy himself, blergh@idea) in the least nor do I find yaoi of any kind arousing but if I ended up in situation where I would have to have buttsex with a guy I'd be pretty fine with letting Kaworu do me, as long as he kept speaking in that fabulous voice of his while at it :D

Still, I'm not gay for Kaworu or anything

Shogo-Kun
Ireul
Ireul

Postby Shogo-Kun » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:46 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:Still, I'm not gay for Kaworu or anything

Sure you aren't, Xard. :wink:
NGE was a damned good anime
EoE was an anime masterpiece
And Rebuild is nothing short of epic
Long live the EVAs!!

AVATAR Oreo Nakamura, Light and Dark

Viking
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Viking » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:48 pm

When I was 7, I saw Who Framed Roger Rabbit for the first time ( at least, is the first time I remember having seen it ).
It was the first time I hoped cartoons could get real ( one simple reason only: Jessica Rabbit ), but I never had a similar thought again.

Bye
俺は素人でもない。スペシャリストだ![ フルメタル

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

Postby TehDonutKing » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:31 pm

View Original PostViking wrote:When I was 7, I saw Who Framed Roger Rabbit for the first time ( at least, is the first time I remember having seen it ).
It was the first time I hoped cartoons could get real ( one simple reason only: Jessica Rabbit ), but I never had a similar thought again.

Bye

Jessica Rabbit scares me. I think it's the hair.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:31 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:I suppose that may be true in a sense, but... I just can't have a me-and-someone-else fantasy unless that someone else is a real human I can interact meaningfully with.
I guess I'll just have to use THAT

Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:52 pm

View Original PostSaltyJoe wrote:I haven't had such an experience with Eva characters, no. If i find a male character to be attractive in any media, then it is always a case of "I want to be like him." not "I want to have sex with him." From the Eva roster, Kaji somewhat fits the bill for this wish fulfilment defintion.

View Original PostReichu wrote:I'm not sure I can even think of any fictional characters period with whom I would personally have sex if suddenly, magically given the opportunity...

I relate to both of these sediments. They're fictitious characters, and are therefore created for very specific roles, all of them one-sided within regards to human relating to them rather than them relating to us, even if they were to magically pop up beside the viewers.

That's not to say I don't meet people who just happen to look kind of like fictitious characters, and that I don't relate to them. But I relate to them as the people they are, not because "Omigosh! You have red hair and spunk like Asuka!"

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:47 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Image
from what I have read, woman A shares my birthday

I hope Robert Zemeckis reads this and decides to FINALLY produce the Roger Rabbit sequel (or was it a prequel?) that has languished in development hell is just so she could be an IRL Jessica Rabbit

anyway, back on topic, the answer for me is no, despite Kaworu looking very femmy, or how hot Gendo's voice sounds in the original Japanese dub [/jk about Gendo]

and what FFF4E just posted
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Stryker » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:48 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Image

I suddenly don't feel bad about fapping to anime anymore.

You know, when it actually succeeds in arousing me. It tends to fail in doing so. I don't know why.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:41 pm

View Original PostStryker wrote:I suddenly don't feel bad about fapping to anime anymore.

Similar pics have been posted endless times on 4chan, I thought that they were widely known at this point.
View Original PostXard wrote:Still, I'm not gay for Kaworu or anything

Oh Xard, stop being so tsundere about Kaworu and Ishida, you should be more honest.
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

Postby Tankred » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:22 pm

I laughed maniacally when Kaworu's head popped off, in fact, I was chanting for Shinji to squish the pest throughout that whole scene :P

Though, his Re-Take death was the most comical. :hahaha:

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Postby SEELE-01 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:41 pm

Damm...
I love running into this wacky topics XD

BTW, and for (the original) topic's sake: Evangelion did opened my eyes...
Into not wanting any kind of emotional relationship in this world...
Visit my Eva-figures Youtube channel!

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:56 pm

View Original PostTankred wrote:I laughed maniacally when Kaworu's head popped off, in fact, I was chanting for Shinji to squish the pest throughout that whole scene :P

Who cares? Kaworu is a fucking sexy immortal Angel, he'll keep rising from a coffin like Dracula until he'll make Shinji happy.
View Original PostTankred wrote:Though, his Re-Take death was the most comical. :hahaha:

And it was also completely uncanonical.
So let’s make a wish.
No matter how many times

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:02 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Fantasies about fictional characters that don't actually involve me (the meatsack Rachel Clark) on any more than a vicarious level, however, are A-OK.

This is the default for me, actually. I just can't take a fantasy seriously if I'm in it.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:09 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:This is the default for me, actually. I just can't take a fantasy seriously if I'm in it.

I suppose that most of us do so; especially those that can easily project themselves on some characters (like I usually do with Shinji).
So let’s make a wish.
No matter how many times

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”