Asuka after Instrumentality

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Knuckles
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Knuckles » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:48 pm

No I've never heard of the Lilith selecting certain people theory, there was never any mention of that anywhere. The opposite was mentioned actually, I believe they specifically state 'everyone/anyone' can come back, and while they say this, they flash to multiple remains of people's dead bodies (like Misato's jacket). The inclination I got was that people who died recently up til a certain past date were tanged and could come back.

Also, note that Kaji was killed like, what, a couple days before EoE? It's likely that his body/soul was still floating around at the time.
"It doesn't matter. This is all I need.."
"Rei is genetically his mom, socially his friend/coworker/classmate, legally his sister, spiritually the progenitor of the entire 'normal' biosphere, physically a mass of matter that ought not be, and technically (depending on which Rei we're talking about) also some form of the risen dead.

...and I still like Shinji/Rei."

Miuzaki
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Miuzaki » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:58 pm

Although to say that is to discard the theory of why Rei appears everywhere. You know, just before people die.

It is very possible that it is a timespan but registering this theory opens up some holes.

Not to say that the Liliths make any more sense, its just that there would be no purpose in them then. So this theory kind of grew.

But either way, who is going to be able to come out of instrumentality.
Say... The main characters.

AshPhoenix
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AshPhoenix » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:23 pm

View Original PostMiuzaki wrote:Although to say that is to discard the theory of why Rei appears everywhere. You know, just before people die.

Rei appears as whatever the person desires most right before they get Tanged (e.g., Fuyutsuki sees Yui, Gendo sees Yui/Eva-01, and Hyuga sees Misato). It's not that she's picking people to go into Instrumentality.

It is very possible that it is a timespan but registering this theory opens up some holes.

Such as?

But either way, who is going to be able to come out of instrumentality.
Say... The main characters.

Everybody can come out of Instrumentality if that's what they wish (and if they can form the shape of their personality). Rei said so herself.
Ritsuko: It can't be...an Angel devoured an Eva? That's impossible!
Maya: That's strange. The target's identification signal is turning into Zerogouki's!
~Once again proving...you are what you eat.~

(After adding something sexual to a perfectly normal post) "Fixed." --Apparently everybody on this forum.
It is unnerving to be proven wrong, particularly when you are really right and the person who is really wrong is the one who is proving you wrong and proving himself, wrongly, right. Right?

Combs
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Combs » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:34 am

View Original PostMiuzaki wrote:Although to say that is to discard the theory of why Rei appears everywhere. You know, just before people die.

I find it plausible that Lilith, as of instrumentality, can access any point in time for pilots. That's why Rei appears at the beginning and ending of the series, and it's Lilith normally talking to Shinji in the train car, not just a Rei in Shinji's mind.
Proud founder, and sole member of A.I.D.S
"Can you bond with someone, over a television show? ...neuuugh?" -Craig Ferguson
"her BREASTS are like THE MAJOR'S from GHOAST In the MACHINE, She is like a person with CYBORG RADIATOR BREATSTS that do not WORK unless EXPOSED or in TIGHT CLOTHING or else the EXPELLED HEAT managed to SET THINGS ON FIRE" -chee, on misogyny

Miuzaki
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Miuzaki » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:20 am

I said it opened up some holes as in it would take away from the meaning of Lilith appearing by all the characters before they die or decompose into LCL.

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:54 am

View Original PostKnuckles wrote:Also, note that Kaji was killed like, what, a couple days before EoE? It's likely that his body/soul was still floating around at the time.

Quite a bit longer than that, actually. Asuka was missing for a week before they found her in that bathtub. That's on top of however much time it took for:

Ep. 22: Asuka fights Arael

Ep. 23: Asuka runs away to Hikari's place, Rei fights Armisael.

Also, Asuka seems to have left Hikari's and returned to Misato's apartment sometime after Ep. 23; they are in Misato's kitchen when Shinji tells Asuka that Kaji is dead, triggering her final breakdown and week long disapearance.

Of course, it's a different continuity, but the Manga supports the notion that Rei is travelling back to collect select individuals for Instrumentality. When the dying Kaji sees his old gang, that is obviously Sadamoto's way of preparing us for Kaji in Instrumentality. He is seeing them in the same way that others will see Misato, Yui, and Ritsuko. (i.e., they are a transformed phantom Rei.)
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

Knuckles
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Knuckles » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:54 pm

Ahh, alright thanks. Been a while since I watched the series :P
"It doesn't matter. This is all I need.."
"Rei is genetically his mom, socially his friend/coworker/classmate, legally his sister, spiritually the progenitor of the entire 'normal' biosphere, physically a mass of matter that ought not be, and technically (depending on which Rei we're talking about) also some form of the risen dead.

...and I still like Shinji/Rei."

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:16 pm

Until someone finds written/typed proof that people can't be instrumentalized after a period of time, I deny that they can't. Washington, I want you back with me! NOW!

@Jimbo: I can imagine myself as a squirrel. I don't believe I am a squirrel (which probably is the basis of most furries), but I can see myself as one. Why shouldn't they?
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

Redaye
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Redaye » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:18 pm

Hmmm. For a bit o' fanwank, perhaps they should also have included a quick panning shot of the cemetary again, showing Reis standing in front of every marker. Would have cleared up a lot of the confusion.
Process: Attempting to Comprehend
╔═══════════════════════════╗
║█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░║ (20%)
╚═══════════════════════════╝
Estimated Time Until Completion: RUNTIME ERROR 601

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:08 am

Rei/Lilith drawing everyone who ever lived into some kind of afterlife would tie up all the Western religious imagery in the series nicely. I'm thinking of Revelations 21:1-4.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

driftking18594
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby driftking18594 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:08 pm

If previously dead people can come out of the LCL Sea, I want to see Asuka knocking the shit out of Adolf Hitler. :asuka_thumbsup:

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:25 pm

In all likelihood it amounts to people who were alive when 3I took place (or very close to it, as in Asuka's case). Kaji's probably pushing it; yes, he was in Shinji's Instrumentality sequence, but that doesn't mean he'll be coming out of the muck. Anyone farther back is a non-starter.

(not to say it isn't possible, but c'mon; it's not like those souls were just sitting around for all this time. No souls, no bodies).
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Henry Spencer
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Henry Spencer » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:08 pm

View Original Postdriftking18594 wrote:If previously dead people can come out of the LCL Sea, I want to see Asuka knocking the shit out of Adolf Hitler. :asuka_thumbsup:

[s]FUCKING GODWIN'S LAW I SWEAR TO TITS I'LL PUNCH A BABY KITTEN![/s]

It's funny you should mention that. There seems to be a fanfic where fictional characters get to do just that.
In Heaven everything is fine.
2% of people on internet forums are impressionable n

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue May 01, 2012 10:10 pm

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:as to the rest, they're all floating around in earth orbit doing shit all until they decide to reincarnate.

The souls of humanity escape from the destroyed Black Moon and dissipate across the Earth's surface. That's blood in orbit (and no way to know whether it might have souls in it or not).

don't quote me on this but I think Eva does support reincarnation even outside a Third Impact context, like a soul recycling system.

I don't know about reincarnation per se, but Kaworu's NGE2 PSP ending lets us infer that souls probably reproduce in a fashion.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Tue May 01, 2012 11:04 pm

View Original Postdriftking18594 wrote:If previously dead people can come out of the LCL Sea, I want to see Asuka knocking the shit out of Adolf Hitler. :asuka_thumbsup:

You should read Damned by Chuck Palahniuk
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”