Why do you like Eva?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

Why do you like Eva?

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:00 pm

Why do you like eva?

For me its the characters love them or hate them their some of the best i've seen in anime.

Shinji - As much a coward as a hero, buy the time I got to EoE I found my self hitting pause and pleeding with my tv screen for him to stop wining an be as brave as I knew he cloud be.

Misato - This woman had her own problems thats for sure, but by the end she really care about the pilots, even if she couldn't come out and say it.

Asuka - I went through most of the series thinking she was a royal bitch just their to make poor Shinji's life a bit more diffcult. Then by ep 21 it all makes sence, and i feel sorry for this girl i really did. I really think she's had it harder then Shinji or Misato.

Their you go my top three reason for likeing the show. whats yours
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

EVA-01X
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby EVA-01X » Mon Jun 21, 2004 1:17 pm

#1. Asuka, Asuka, Asuka! You just have to love a red head who pilots a giant robot and says Dumkopf. :D
#2. Psycology that makes your head hurt.
#3 And of course lets not forget the excellent story and it's dynamic characters
The demon returns after a long slumber....
http://www.evamade.org/user.php?id.161
New Signature Image Policy
^Clicky for Evamade!

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Jun 21, 2004 2:08 pm

For me, as I watched the show, I was intrigued by the story, but that wasn't what truly did it for me. Anno used the show as a tool to exorcise personal demons, and I empathized with that, and it helped me work through some of my own personal issues.

This is very personal to me, and I'm glad to see that I'm not alone in this.

wildarmsheero
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby wildarmsheero » Mon Jun 21, 2004 2:19 pm

Here goes...

1. Misato- 'Cause she's Misato, duh : P
2. The style- I feel that the directors did an excellent job when it came to pacing, story telling and camera angles. It's all very well done.
3. The music- C'mon, the music fucking rocks. I love those frantic battle themes and those more relaxing pieces.
4. Character dynamics/development/personality- All of this is done in such a way that it doesn't feel fabricated. It's really hard to get fictional characters, especially cartoon characters, to act natural, but Gainax nailed it.
5. Themes/ideas/story- Eva presents the viewer with some tough themes that really make the brain work. This keeps the viewer interested.

Yeah... sorry about the poor quality of writing, I'm really fucked over right now.
Comic | Art | Music | Blog | Anime | DVDs
The Galaxy Express 999 will take you on a journey, a never-ending journey. The Galaxy Express 999 will take you on a journey into the stars!

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:49 pm

I have no idea why I like this show...
I've been obsessed with evangelion for about a year now and I still don't know why I love it so much. All I know is that the characters are real, the problems they face are real, and most of the answers they find are fake. Exactly how the world really is.

Asterix
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Asterix » Mon Jun 21, 2004 5:21 pm

I'm in the same boat as the dunno why-ers. I wasn't much of an anime person at all, but Eva was suggested to me by an anime freak buddy of mine online. So I downloaded ep 1 and 2 in Japanese (subtitles), watched those. Promptly went and downloaded 3 and 4, found those in english. Then rented Collection 0:2. Then said screw it and bought the Perfect Collection. Then the movies. Don't have the Director's Cuts though.

So as for why I like it, I don't know. After watching the first few episodes it just sorta latched onto me and I've been hooked since. Just one of those things, I guess...
"why is it when an eva gets free will, the first thing it does is eat its own?"
"...tastes like chicken?"

bp32
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby bp32 » Mon Jun 21, 2004 5:37 pm

For me, my affection for Eva stems from :

1) the intrigue as to the nature of the Eva's that was established from the first episode;

2) the twising of the classic mecha-narrative, whereby the battles themselves become secondary to the emotional construction/destruction of the human characters; and, most importantly

3) (as Eva Monkey has already noted) the use of the show and its characters to represent Anno's battle with depression. As someone who has battled through this I can attest to the effective way that Anno represents the feelings one goes through during such an episode. Emotionally the show struck numerous cords, and still does to this day. EoE is especially moving for me, watching Shinji go from effectively "bottoming-out" and choosing death and a loss of individuality over living with the possibility of rejection and pain, to coming to a realization and understanding of himself and others which allows him to return to the world with enough courage to "make his own happiness". I think for people who have lived through those feelings (or are living through it) Eva is especially "theraputic" or soothing in some manner. At least it is for me :wink:
"Men judge generally more by the eye than by the hand, for everyone can see and few can feel. Every one sees what you appear to be, few really know what you are."-Niccolo Machiavelli

"In religion and politics, people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second hand, and without examination."-Mark Twain

Nephilim
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Nephilim » Mon Jun 21, 2004 5:59 pm

I have been an EVA fan for 2 year by now, and i still don't know why i like it so much. But this are some reasons:

1) All the religious subjects and symbolism that are shown in the series
2) The mistery about the true origin and nature of the Evangelions.
3) I feel so identified by Shinji !!!, i'm also a whimp that wants love and understanding from the whole world!!! :cry:
*insert cool signature here*

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hunter21 » Mon Jun 21, 2004 6:57 pm

I just got into EVA recently, was just wandering around Best Buy (evil,evil, money stealing place) saw the perfect collection and decided it looked good and got it. Next day I am buying the movies, and the directors cut, and is thoroughly hooked.

As to why I am now hooked, It is a series that touched me personally, and forced me to think (still thinking about EoE ending). The story is a beatifully written piece, and is very much like the Classic Greek tales in that the development of the characters is a much more important aspect of the story than the action. And any movie/series that causes you to lose sleep for a week, has to be great.
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

yjs
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby yjs » Mon Jun 21, 2004 7:17 pm

For me, it's all about the characters. They are all very human and are filled with flaws, and many people find that they can relate to the characters. Another thing I like about Eva is how deep and engrossing the storyline is. It really draws you in and for those who like to think and wonder about mankind, it's all very interesting.

And don't forget about the music. End of Evangelion has one of the most beautiful scores in movies.
"Go kill the lights, we'll glow till morning comes..."

My LiveJournal: http://www.livejournal.com/users/yujin_34/

Phaze
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Phaze » Tue Jun 22, 2004 1:36 pm

I simply liked the fact that Eva worked on so many different levels, regardless of whether I understood them or not. I'm content knowing people are willing to put so much effort into a project. You know you've created a masterpiece when years later, you still have geeks overanalysing every aspect of the show. :wink:
The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Tue Jun 22, 2004 4:29 pm

Phaze wrote: You know you've created a masterpiece when years later, you still have geeks overanalysing every aspect of the show. :wink:

amen
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

Slade
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Slade » Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:08 am

I started watching the show at a really messed up time in my life. I had only really discovered anime when I was 14 and a very good friend of mine handed a tape of it to me on my 15 b-day. This friend of mine was very much into the show by then because she always rambeled on and on about it, so I thought I would give it a try ya know. I sat through those amazing first episodes on that first tape and was hooked ever since. The show just had so much relevence to everything that had been happening in my life up to that point, I could relate very well to Shinji in that at the time I understood why he hated himself because I hated myself in almost every way that he hated himself. I think that by the shows' ending I was a different person, in the sence that I no longer cared what people thought about me, I wanted to live my life the way I damn well please. And as a result my very good friend became my significant other 8) I can safely say that without Eva I proabably wouldnt be with her today, and yea I know it sounds corny but its the truth.
"All I have ever asked of this world is that when my time comes, let it be for something, not of something."

- Slade

MongolSquad
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby MongolSquad » Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:58 am

i think i like for all the effort and thought that went into evangelion. Its one of those few series where they scrutinized over every aspect, plot, character development, music, the battles (oh the battle D ). they clearly wanted to make a masterpiece and suceeded quite well. also like others have said its one of the few animes where after watching it, u still are involved, like its been almost a year since i've seen it, and im still discovering new parts or ideas to it everyday.

Vulkurt
Tunniel
Tunniel

Re: Why do you like Eva?

•      
  •      

Postby Vulkurt » Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:20 am

DatDude wrote:

Shinji - As much a coward as a hero, buy the time I got to EoE I found my self hitting pause and pleeding with my tv screen for him to stop wining an be as brave as I knew he cloud be.

I am curious - why do you feel that Shinji is a coward?
Done. Guarding.

Nephilim
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Nephilim » Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:24 am

Yeah !!! they took care of every aspect, even too many care, because all the budget went to research and big battle animation, because Evangelion is one of the most static anime i've ever seen.

The animation of the battles are great, but in so many other scenes IT SUCKS !!!
there are so many scenes in wich they use the same image just talking without animation, and in other they not even talk !!! (ep 4 1 minut of silence in train station, ep 22 1 minut in elevator, ep 24 1 minute with kaworu and eva01, but the last one i loved it :wink:).

And who can forget Shinji throwing the soap to Asuka at the end of ep 10, he looks like a ken doll !!! (quoting someone else). :lol:

I LOVE evangelion, but that aspect has always bothered me. :roll:

MongolSquad
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby MongolSquad » Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:29 am

Nephilim wrote:Yeah !!! they took care of every aspect, even too many care, because all the budget went to research and big battle animation, because Evangelion is one of the most static anime i've ever seen.

The animation of the battles are great, but in so many other scenes IT SUCKS !!!
there are so many scenes in wich they use the same image just talking without animation, and in other they not even talk !!! (ep 4 1 minut of silence in train station, ep 22 1 minut in elevator, ep 24 1 minute with kaworu and eva01, but the last one i loved it :wink:).

And who can forget Shinji throwing the soap to Asuka at the end of ep 10, he looks like a ken doll !!! (quoting someone else). :lol:

I LOVE evangelion, but that aspect has always bothered me. :roll:

well do you want really sucky, horribly animated battle scenes (like in end of eva) and the best looking conversation scenes ever in anime? think about that......

Nephilim
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Nephilim » Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:42 am

HAHAHA, you're right :wink:

But he thing about the End of Evangelion, is that the animation quality is great, but the DESIGN of the evas changed, WHY?????
They remade all the designs for the movie, and they suck hard !!!

Here is a comparation between the two designs of eva-02:

THis could be a new subject of discussion don't you think? :wink:

MongolSquad
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby MongolSquad » Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:48 am

i completely agree, except i felt like eva-02's fight with the mass production evas animation was choppy, and not similar to the previous fights in the series. eva-02 went from this fast moving, flexible killing machine to a meandering giant. i mean look how much effort it took for it to raise its foot to kick the hover-jet thingy and it moved so sluggishly when running and jumping.

but yes i think this could be a new topic, why were there changes made in the movie, i bet lots of a people want to rant about it. D

bp32
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby bp32 » Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:48 am

cain luppus wrote: well do you want really sucky, horribly animated battle scenes (like in end of eva) and the best looking conversation scenes ever in anime? think about that......

How were the (few) battle scenes in EoE horribly animated? I thought they were beautifully done--Asuka's battle was more like a waltz than a battle--and the way they tried to convey the heavy motions of the Eva I thought was well done--like how Asuka and a MP Eva hit their copies of the Lance together at teh same time and you can see how hard Asuka has to work to keep the Eva's body movements under control and move--I thought it made the piloting of the Eva's seem more realistic IMO...
"Men judge generally more by the eye than by the hand, for everyone can see and few can feel. Every one sees what you appear to be, few really know what you are."-Niccolo Machiavelli

"In religion and politics, people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second hand, and without examination."-Mark Twain

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”