What is Eva's emotional significance to you?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Wed May 18, 2011 8:25 am

View Original Postsymbv wrote:
As for The Dissapearence of Haruhi Suzumiya (actually the Haruhi series in general), it is more than the geeky girl but also about the cynical boy who is fascinated and drawn in by all the antics but also cannot help put off by them. And behind all the supernatural adventures there is all the chemistry between the characters and ever so gradual development of their relationship. Yes you can tell I am a big fan of Haruhi :)

Yes, that too, but that's actually related to the "weirdness" - still, it was great to have something break the tradition that "I just want to be normal" ALWAYs HAS to be the right choice.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Wed May 18, 2011 8:33 am

View Original PostKendrix wrote:Yes, that too, but that's actually related to the "weirdness" - still, it was great to have something break the tradition that "I just want to be normal" ALWAYs HAS to be the right choice.

This is one thing I really love about anime because it tells me people can be great even if they do not behave in a way that is considered normal by social conventional sense. It is the case with Haruhi, with Eva, and also with Lucky Star etc. (too many to count)
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

•      
  •      

Postby C.A.P. » Wed May 18, 2011 8:48 am

^However, like any piece of fiction, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It all depends on the atmosphere, chemistry, and how much effort you put into it that makes all the difference.
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

Cross of Iron
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Cross of Iron » Thu May 19, 2011 1:16 am

NGE got me through my dad's kidney failure and periods of depression, so I'd say it has some heavy emotional significance to me.

juaxoo
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby juaxoo » Thu May 19, 2011 8:24 am

View Original PostCross of Iron wrote:NGE got me through my dad's kidney failure and periods of depression, so I'd say it has some heavy emotional significance to me.

if i were u in the same ball-crushing, heart renching, teary situation, i would rather spend more time being with my dad and take care of him, than turning to evangelion to get over it and "run away" from the problem

periods of depression, hmm, watching evangelion would normally make a person more depressed, but i guess everybody's different as they say...

Cross of Iron
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Cross of Iron » Thu May 19, 2011 8:53 pm

View Original Postjuaxoo wrote:if i were u in the same ball-crushing, heart renching, teary situation, i would rather spend more time being with my dad and take care of him, than turning to evangelion to get over it and "run away" from the problem

periods of depression, hmm, watching evangelion would normally make a person more depressed, but i guess everybody's different as they say...

I was doing both at the time, actually.

juaxoo
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby juaxoo » Fri May 20, 2011 2:50 am

View Original PostCross of Iron wrote:I was doing both at the time, actually.

it's not enough, do more

Korgan
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Korgan » Sat May 21, 2011 1:32 am

And who are you to judge someone whose situation you know nothing about, sir?

juaxoo
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby juaxoo » Sat May 21, 2011 1:51 am

View Original PostKorgan wrote:And who are you to judge someone whose situation you know nothing about, sir?

i am juaxoo
and i think that evangelion's emotional significance is different towards/for every different individual being. i don't mean to judge but if someone can get over their father's illness with watching evangelion, heh, well
i just find that a little odd, thats all

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sat May 21, 2011 6:32 am

View Original PostKendrix wrote:The result is that you look at a few perfectly innocent, ridiculously ordinary-looking sentences and wonder why these make you feel such huge quantities of emotion.
I'd say that's the results of arranging words in an artful way. ;) Nah, I know what you're saying, but we just took "arranged in an artful way" to mean different things. One doesn't need to write like late-period Henry James or James Joyce to be considered artful. Hemingway is plenty artful because of his linguistic simplicity. But there's as much (if not more) of an art to that kind of simplicity as any other because it's about making the words mean something beyond/more than the obvious.

View Original PostKendrix wrote:Faust is also like that - It's basically about a man with a mid-life crisis.
What struck me most about Faust is the juxtaposition of desiring to live a life of being VS living a life of learning. It largely inspired the subject of what I called my "epistemological sonnets" that alternatively argued the merits and faults of both sides. Faust was just someone who spent his entire life learning and realized he'd never really lived, but then goes too far the other direction and finds he's disconnected from reality in a completely opposite but equal way.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Cross of Iron
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Cross of Iron » Sat May 21, 2011 4:57 pm

View Original PostKorgan wrote:And who are you to judge someone whose situation you know nothing about, sir?

Thank you.

EdmundC
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby EdmundC » Sat May 21, 2011 6:42 pm

Since I watched the majority of the series and EoE while recovering from multiple surgeries, it did not help the closed-in feeling of dread.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”