Mythology of Evangelion: WTF?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Zuggy
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Zuggy » Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:35 pm

superdoughboy4 wrote:But lazy interpretations were implemented in the dubs, which would lead-off the main story, and plot it somewhere near the story instead.

Do you have any major examples of this?

Shwiggie
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Shwiggie » Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:05 pm

Only a scant quantity of minutia were in any way affected, and that not severely. It's to be expected with any translation work.

superdoughboy4
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby superdoughboy4 » Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:26 pm

That is why I Italicized 'near'.

TheBlueTree
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby TheBlueTree » Sun Oct 30, 2005 3:47 pm

Hexon.Arq wrote:Fuck them. If they hadn't done it, someone else would have, and if not, many would have downloaded it eventually. That's like saying Wal-Mart deserves gratitude for stocking Kit Kat bars, Kleenex Ass-Wipes, Ketchup, and Keith Urban CDs. ADV have allowed themselves to become a farce of a professional company; their entire front speaks for itself. Any hatred bred against them is of their own creation, including mine. Their success is but acid rain on the plains of their potential. They can be summed up in one word: arrogance.

And I stand by my penis comment. I can assure you that ADV would stand by it, too.

not only would someone else have done it.... but im sure they would of done it WAY better then stupid AWL i fucking hate that god damn squishy sound in EoE IT SERIUSLY MAKES ME FUCKING TWEEK!
Mr. Bud
"Suits? You've got to be kidding me.
Mighty Morphin' Ev-an-gel-i-ooooonnnn!"

Seele 08
"Is it a sign that you might be an otaku when your betta fish are all named after anime characters? One betta is named....Gendo. No wonder my mom and freinds think I'm a nut case."

Phoenix Feet
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Phoenix Feet » Sun Oct 30, 2005 6:17 pm

TheBlueTree wrote:not only would someone else have done it.... but im sure they would of done it WAY better then stupid AWL i fucking hate that god damn squishy sound in EoE IT SERIUSLY MAKES ME FUCKING TWEEK!

ADV didn't dub End of Eva. If that's what you're talking about.

Who's AWL?

Phoenix Feet
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Phoenix Feet » Sun Oct 30, 2005 6:30 pm

Hexon.Arq wrote:
Phoenix Feet wrote:The fact that someone else could have done it is no reason not to feel grattitude. Mum makes you lunch; no need to thank her, because Dad would have done it if she hadn't.

I don't know what ADV has done to generate that much hate in you, but I'm not in a position to judge. Over here, everything goes through Madman, and they've been good so far.

If you are comparing the relationship between a distributor and a consumer to that of a parent and a child, then you have my condolences. And If ADV were my parents, I would have run away.

Fine, bad analogy. Still, it's just as inaccurate as comparing a company that stocks household goods to a company that translates, interprets and dubs television series for a different culture.

I stand by what I said before too. The fact that someone else could have done it doesn't nullify any gratitude you should show ADV. Hell, at the very least be grateful that they were as faithful to the original as they were.

They invested a lot of money producing those dubs. They could have editied the hell out of it so they could get it on TV to try and guarntee a decent return through advertising or something.

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:00 pm

Dubs are a luxury; the world doesn't need them.

Thanks for trying to make me care, though.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

Phoenix Feet
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Phoenix Feet » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:35 am

You're welcome.

Nice to see a heated conversation that doesn't end in rabid screaming once in a while.

Tumbling Down
Ireul
Ireul

The Mythology of Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Tumbling Down » Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:15 am

The search engine says there's a thread exclusively on part two from nearly a decade ago. Let's do a thread on the whole thing, and in this decade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdadTN2rYxw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqixEiye19Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc0oaXxz_ac
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLvc435WiIg

I.. think these are all the links necessary? I might be missing one.

TitaniumViper
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby TitaniumViper » Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:26 am

Honestly I think it would be for the best if we forget about the Mythology of Evangelion since it is filled with wrong and opinionated information.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:47 am

I vote we just throw Chuckman at the problem.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Tumbling Down
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Tumbling Down » Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:13 am

View Original PostTitaniumViper wrote:Honestly I think it would be for the best if we forget about the Mythology of Evangelion since it is filled with wrong and opinionated information.

I liked the "Eva is about growing up" explanation, though I think they got carried away with it.

I think this is the only source of Eva analysis that's both official and in English, so it's definitely notable for that, at least.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:33 am

^Eva is about growing up, but what they forgot to mention is that Eva is a coming of age story where no one really even comes to terms with their coming of age. I mean, Misato’s character arc probably developed to have the healthiest, most mature mentality among the main characters by the end of the show, and in her last moments she still suggestively came onto a teenage boy.

xPearse
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby xPearse » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:51 am

Ah, good someone made a new topic. The feature was very boring to watch, both of them spoke so slow it was putting me to sleep and who the hell was that other guy. An Eva lecturer, does that stuff seriously exist. The guy from ancient aliens made more sense than that moron, and don't forget the phallic symbols. Lots and lots of phallic symbols.

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:50 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:^Eva is about growing up, but what they forgot to mention is that Eva is a coming of age story where no one really even comes to terms with their coming of age. I mean, Misato’s character arc probably developed to have the healthiest, most mature mentality among the main characters by the end of the show, and in her last moments she still suggestively came onto a teenage boy.

To be entirely fair, there's a case to argue that she was just motivating him or trying to see him off as casually as possible, considering she was dying and had no delusions of being able to make good on her promise.
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Anno has perfected the side boob --Gendo'sPapa

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:45 pm

There's always this beauty:

SPOILER: Show
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

TomasJC
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby TomasJC » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:39 pm

The whole thing was probably made in an attempt to halfassedly "explain" things perhaps to a more casual western audience who didn't give a crap whether it was accurate to the original or not. But then again, they both really get into the whole thing as if they are complete experts, so maybe next time this gets attempted (if ever) someone could actually clarify things with the creator? It was pretty boring to watch, but I guess it looked like a cool segment on the DVD box description.
View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:There's always this beauty:

SPOILER: Show

Ah yes, but they also forgot to mention Gendo's... extra occupation. :gendo:
"That's no way to treat an expensive musical instrument!" -Jim Steinman
"When I was growing up, there were two things that were unpopular in my house. One was me, and the other was my guitar." -Bruce Springsteen
"Alcohol is humanity's friend... Can I abandon a friend?" -Yang Wen-li
"...See you on the Dark Side Of The Moon~"

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:58 pm

The worst part is it's just a bunch of guys talking to the camera. Theres no production value. Most youtubers talking about at least throw in a clip here and there.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:03 pm

I started watching these videos and so far I see nothing but the bog standard, surface level reading of the show.

e: The idea of tying the Christ imagery into Shinji's growth into a man is an interesting concept.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Veoris
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Veoris » Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:27 am

Where is your avatar from TC?

For the life of me I don't understand how I get my avatar to work. I hate it.. :facepalm:
Shinji pls

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”