The headcanon thread

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:53 pm

While I'm all for the Misato/Ritsuko ship, I don't see how that image is evidence for it at all. College roommates hangout together in their undies all the time.

My headcannon for the image: Kaji is taking the photo. The three of them had a late night party at Misato's place.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:56 pm

View Original PostSachi wrote:While I'm all for the Misato/Ritsuko ship, I don't see how that image is evidence for it at all. College roommates hangout together in their undies all the time.

My headcannon for the image: Kaji is taking the photo. The three of them had a late night party at Misato's place.

Inviting a friend over for a three-way is also a thing, so I'm down with that. :ritsuko_mug:
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:01 pm

I'm beginning to think all this talk about Riz x Misato and Kaji into to the mix warrants its own thread.

:devil:

Poor Maya. Kaji and Misato got there first.

:mayano:

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:06 pm

Speaking of Maya...

Ritsuko refuses to leave Instrumentality for reasons Bagheera explained in his Ghosts thread, ergo Maya forever lives as a mass of liquid to remain with her sempai
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:23 pm

View Original PostArcadia's legacy wrote:Speaking of Maya...

Ritsuko refuses to leave Instrumentality for reasons Bagheera explained in his Ghosts thread, ergo Maya forever lives as a mass of liquid to remain with her sempai

Talk about depressing!

I actually entertained the notion of Ritsuko coming back, if only to settle matters with Maya. She comes to say her goodbyes and Maya convinces her to run away with her. The two would eventually settle down in some place like Bolivia, doing . . . something. Probably something morally questionable. But I decided that was too far off the rails even for me, so I abandoned the idea. It does have its appeal, though, I can't deny that.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:25 pm

Yeah, that's probably better off as a spinoff than as a story arc for Ghosts
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:06 pm

I get the feeling that if Misato and Ritsuko had actually fooled around, Instrumentality would have touched upon it in some way. As things are, we have Misato intimating in #20 that Kaji is the only person she's been with at all! Secret lesbian escapades just strikes me as mere crowd-pleasing, not anything that, in this case, would actually enrich the characters and their relationship in any way. "Head-canon", fine, whatever. Seems more the domain of crack pairing threads, though.

(Going by official illustrations, Rei and Asuka are OTP, which is... yeah. Let me introduce you to "marketing" and "fan service". The other Tsurumaki illustrations in that set leave canon a distant consideration; why assume this one is any different?)

View Original PostArcadia's legacy wrote:Ritsuko refuses to leave Instrumentality

She can't refuse to leave something that was forcefully dissolved at the end of EoE.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:07 pm

You will not press your false gods of reason and logic upon me.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:26 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:You will not press your false gods of reason and logic upon me.

It's not even that logical. Virtually any premise can be compelling depending on how you present it, and there's no reason that can't be true for a hypothetical fling between Misato and Ritsuko in college. Add to that the fact that people have some awfully funny views about sex -- in this case, what "counts" and what doesn't -- and just about anything's possible. So if it works for your headcanon or a fanfic or whatever, I say run with it and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:49 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:I get the feeling that if Misato and Ritsuko had actually fooled around, Instrumentality would have touched upon it in some way. As things are, we have Misato intimating in #20 that Kaji is the only person she's been with at all! Secret lesbian escapades just strikes me as mere crowd-pleasing, not anything that, in this case, would actually enrich the characters and their relationship in any way. "Head-canon", fine, whatever. Seems more the domain of crack pairing threads, though.

(Going by official illustrations, Rei and Asuka are OTP, which is... yeah. Let me introduce you to "marketing" and "fan service". The other Tsurumaki illustrations in that set leave canon a distant consideration; why assume this one is any different?)

It's just for shits and giggles. I wouldn't call it lesbian escapades either since in my scenario, it was a just one time thing when the characters were the most vulnerable. It wouldn't have to be touched in Instrumentality as it wasn't that important nor did it define the characters. Everything you say makes sense and believe it or not, this has been touched in the Crack pairing thread as I'm one of the posters who discussed it ad nauseam in some my posts.

:hahaha:

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:19 pm

You can have a sexual encounter with (or a have a romantic crush on) a person of the same gender and not be gay. Heck, you don't even have to be bisexual: it's that fluid.

Bearing that in mind, considering their state of mind and the importance they placed on the incident, there's no reason to think that, if it did happen, it would need to be brought up and rehashed in Instrumentality. The implication of that is that all the things we see are those things people are most connected to/keep secret/most ashamed of. In other words, the things they REALLY don't want other people to see.
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:28 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:It's not even that logical. Virtually any premise can be compelling depending on how you present it, and there's no reason that can't be true for a hypothetical fling between Misato and Ritsuko in college. Add to that the fact that people have some awfully funny views about sex -- in this case, what "counts" and what doesn't -- and just about anything's possible. So if it works for your headcanon or a fanfic or whatever, I say run with it and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Good, good.

The postmodernism is calling to you. Just let it in.

unz
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby unz » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:54 am

Ah holy shit

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:08 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Good, good.

The postmodernism is calling to you. Just let it in.

I'll do you one even better. The relationships in the Evangelion TV Show is unique to Anno. The relationships within your Evangelion Headcannon is unique to you.

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:14 pm

^^^
SPOILER: Show

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:08 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:I do see the winky face, but to be a picky cranky-pants... Lal'C/Nono was constructed to parallel the Noriko/Amano relationship. This archetype was simply present in the work that Tsurumaki was following up on and doesn't represent a "personal fixture".

Oh, don't act like Tsurumaki wasn't drawn to the project for reasons. :naughty:

Though, in all seriousness, I do see your point. I just think that he enjoys some of this stuff too. Everyone at Gainax seemed to like what they were creating. (Working conditions, like on Nadia, on the other hand...)

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:03 am

Manga Mari grows up to be the unnamed bespectacled woman who takes in Asuka after Kyoko's suicide.
SPOILER: Show

Mari exists in the NGE continuity, but she never got promoted to piloting duty thanks to Units 05 and 06 being scrapped for parts and replaced by the mass production units. She's still hanging out in Europe somewhere.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

Iuvenal
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Iuvenal » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:37 pm

Fanfiction headcanon: MidnightCereal's "Dinner Time" is a sequel to the Battle Royale omake from "In the Dark Room". Vinson was conceived a couple days prior to the events portrayed in said omake.
Pkunk's not dead! Shake yer Rootz!

I carved A +S forever into my left buttock with a pocket knife. My right buttock is dominated by a tattoo of James Brown. - Chuckman

Who did 9/11? The FAR. - Reichu

SawItAtAge10
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby SawItAtAge10 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:35 pm

Okay, so I can see this thread has sorta derailed into "let's get crazy with our ideas" territory. So, I'll try my best to not be tempted to fall in line with that mode of thought (i.e. keeping my ideas within the realm of plausibility).

ALSO: if some of these are from other people, then that just means they're things I like and have mentally latched onto.

Okay, here it goes (if some of these are repeated from my previous list, I apologize):

SEELE has a Kaworuquarium hidden away somewhere.

The vicious behavior of the MPEs are a reflection of Kaworu's darker nature.

(This only applies to the English version of EoE as I'm not sure about the exact wording when it comes to the Japanese version of the script) Misato's error in telling that Adam came from the Lilith stems from the fact that when revealed to her, Kaji painstakingly called Lilith Adam at the end of ep. 15 and she sort of just mentally ran with that impression.

3I is an alchemical ritual giving birth to a new FAR.

GNR/K fell apart only because of the the Destrudo Release at the hands of Ritsuko in ep. 23.

Mysterious Cat lady is Ritsuko's "grandma"

SEELE is a death cult

Shinji is more than likely bisexual on account of being the audience's surrogate "every man" in that his sexual interests would need to be (if this concept were taken to its utmost extreme not barring satire) representative of both male and female audience members.

The phantom Reis in ep. 1 and ep. 26' are indicative of the fact that the series (as we're viewing it) is a series of events that has already transpired and is being reviewed by the ghost Rei. When we see her floating over the sea of LCL, she has just completed a cycle (more than likely either Shinji's or Asuka, probably Shinji's). By cycle, I mean, delving into the LCL and seeing that reality through their memories, from beginning to end. So, when we see Rei in ep. 1 (just before she disappears) this is an indication, that the series from that point on, is not 'reality" but a version of it that is the process of being reviewed and reflected upon. Now, what this means or what meaning it holds within the greater symbolism of Evangelion as a series...I'm still working on it and mentally mapping it out...

Pen pen, while adorable, exists (within the story) to serve the function of Misato's maternal aspects. When she gives him to Hikari (to whom it's being projected upon, incidentally), this is the start of her sacrificing "her self as a mother" and it comes full circle when she kisses Shinji.

Shinji recovers from 3I by doing what he does best, rejecting and blocking others (via his "hedgehog's dilemma"). This is because Instrumentality is a merging of others. Sure, he might've had his "i want to be here" realization, but that was kind of only the half way point. His self fortification comes from putting up the metaphorical AT fields again and blocking others out again. withdrawing from others helps him to separate from the collective humanity and regain his own identity. Thus, eps. 25 +26/EoE is basically:

Shinji learning a valuable lesson ("I want to be here") but still engaging in the same antisocial behaviors and STILL with mommy issues (hence breaking at Asuka's tender touch).
FROM EVANGELION:
"Acts of Man are greater than acts of God!"

"I'm saying that I love you."

NOT FROM EVANGELION:
"You are excrement. You can change yourself into gold."

LeoXiao
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Re: The headcanon thread

•      
  •      

Postby LeoXiao » Sat Dec 26, 2015 2:53 pm

Gendo is actually a good guy, or has good intentions. His extremely hard work and brief expressions of regret point to an insanely focused man who is trying his best to do his best. It's just that he's a flawed human being and has so much pressure on him to not fail that he makes mistakes, which are then magnified due to the power he wields. Because we never see exactly what he wants, except reunion with Yui, and so many consequences of his actions, from the point of view of the audience he's just evil.

Shinji is more like his father than he appears. He's also straight and is into both Asuka and Rei. But his main focus is his job, or trying to figure out what his job should be.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”